Reworked Han with smaller head and other modifications

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James van Spronsen

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I just wasn't happy with Han and his big head, so I thinned out the cheeks, and then reduced the sculpt. Reducing the sculpt requires, stripping it of paint, creating a two part mold of the head, making a reducing cast from that, creating another two part mold from the reduced cast, and then casting in super strong, lightweight resin. This is version 1.0 as I think I may fine-tune it a bit from here. The main thing was getting the head to be just a bit smaller.
sshanstand.jpg

From left to right, here is the original sculpt and paint from Sideshow, the stripped and thinned Sideshow, and then my reduced and repainted version. Aside from the size and puffy cheeks, the sculpt is quite nice.
sshancomp.jpg

I also don't care for the Sideshow body too much and converted it over to Dragon. It was just too thin in the hip area, and a bit too tall. The jacket now doesn't seem too short. I modified the Dragon body by thinning it out, narrowing the shoulders, and adding ball socket ankles for better posing (thanks for the inspiration, John). The Sideshow hands were retained and used. Here you can see that the ball socket ankle joint allows for better articulation and posing. I also ditched the Sideshow boots in favor of these.
sshanaction.jpg

sshanboots.jpg

Additionally, I had to make a bunch of new belt studs as many of mine were loose in the box, and some on the belt were poorly attached. I made new ones that are set much better and all are perfectly round. Some of the Sideshow studs were mis-shapen.

Hope you like. Now I may take another look at Jedi Luke....

sshanpoint.jpg

James, This is Awesome, aswesome work! Hey can I commission your talent in reproducing one for me, seriously? "PM" me for your terms!

Cheers, :rock

Ben

Fantastic work!!. I'd definitely be intrested in a cast of the Solo head should you make them available.

I think you did a great job. The added boots look much better on him that Sideshows. And I think the clothes seems to fit the Dragon better too. They dont seem to be as "streched" as on the SS body. They look more natural on the Dragon body. The resized/re worked head does look a little more like Ford. Especially in the cheek area. The only issue I have with the figure is the paint app. Its a little dark and heavy( I dont know if thats the right word). But I think its a great custom, and I think it improves on SS in almost every way!

Looks great James! And welcome and many thanks! :D

Do you do any casting work for custom sculpts?

Killer work, James. Thanks for the great pics and explanations. You're definitely a SW 1/6 custom god.

Are the boots Newline Miniature German officer's model?

welcome James! your work on that fig is wonderful. love the boots too. i believe they're DID boots. i'll take a sculpt too if u make more.

how did u add ball jointed ankles to the Dragon body?

Finally a Han like I remember him from ESB!! Welcome James van Spronsen! What an entrance you make! This is by far the best SSC Han custom I've seen until now. Wow! Send me the head, will ya!? This proves it once again: SSC must rework their 12" bodies!!! This definitely looks much much better than the original.

Back