PDA

View Full Version : Could a sculpted 1/6 Chewbacca work?

swsqueakquels
03-25-2013, 04:31 AM

EVILFACE
03-25-2013, 04:31 AM
No.

Fur or forget about it.

They could have offered sculpted long ago.

Doctor_B
03-25-2013, 04:39 AM
Furget about it? :)

I think sculpting could work if it was using a softer material with some pliability. I really like the look of the PF Chewie.

I just don't see how they could pull off a completely fur-covered 1/6 figure consistently that looked good. If they did the time to produce each figure would make the price outrageously high.

No.

Fur or forget about it.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 04:50 AM
No.

Fur or forget about it.

Sculpting techniques have improved ten fold in the last decade or so. I agree that it's totally possible to approach the aesthetics & articulation with that right balance of design, & functionality. It can SO be done well if they pull their fingers out & take it seriously.

'Fur'.. will look like RUBBISH. :lecture

Lejuan
03-25-2013, 04:59 AM
I dunno... how far removed is a fur suit from a sniper's gillie suit?

EVILFACE
03-25-2013, 05:06 AM
Furget about it? :)

I think sculpting could work if it was using a softer material with some pliability. I really like the look of the PF Chewie.

I just don't see how they could pull off a completely fur-covered 1/6 figure consistently that looked good. If they did the time to produce each figure would make the price outrageously high.

People shelled out $400 for a high end C3P0 and they would for a high end fur Chewy.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 05:06 AM
That PF btw, looks awesome, but I'm not into those really.

If they go plastic, mixed media or whatever - it's about using materials that are not only able to blend together well enough (like the hard / soft areas for articulation vs durability as mentioned already) but finding a sculptor that can make it look as detailed as you can possibly get it.

The potential QC issues associated with a fluffy version, would be the perfect catalyst for a complaint thread in here of EPIC proportions not seen since.. :lol

swsqueakquels
03-25-2013, 05:22 AM

Lejuan
03-25-2013, 05:47 AM
Yeh, they're basic (if you mean basic in the sense of not being sophisticated enough to apply as is to Chewie) but they come at a basic price. Maybe at an additional but still reasonable cost 'fur' could be stitched into a well-tailored outer fabric suit and slapped over an articulated body. I have no idea how close to possible that is. The head sculpt especially would pose some challenges.

Then I think of Jack Sparrow's dreads and wonder whether a good looking sculpted solution like Vintij speculates on is possible. Evilface is right in saying that people'd shell out for a good fur Chewie though, I know I would.

Rorywan
03-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Well I know it wasn't complete fur covering, but HT did a great job (for the time) with their Planet of The Apes Gorillas. I think they could do it now. The fur would have to be attached in seams into the plastic and brushed to cover the gaps, which is pretty much what they are doing with their female haired releases these days.

I vote for Fur or nothing.

Fur and hair is fine if it's brushed flat and fixed. There would be no need for a fluffy chewie. It's just whether HT fancy putting the R&D costs into it.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Let's get a poll going. :lol

I'm guessing the fur heads will win. :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

Raymond F.
03-25-2013, 06:07 AM
Sideshow are not the guys to do it lets face it. I think hot toys could do it convincingly, by do it I mean offer a fur chewbacca because no, no way in hell would a sculpted One work.

But they are loaded up until 2016 wasting their efforts on Anakin and Padme along the way. Chewbacca is more important especially since the might be the only ones who coul pull it off at this point

Rorywan
03-25-2013, 06:08 AM
Let's get a poll going. :lol

I'm guessing the fur heads will win. :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

:lol

They did these years ago and they are still awesome. I love the two I have..

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/rorywan/dfdff7df7fdsfdsfsfsfsdfsd_zpsa283655f.jpg

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Yeah, I thought somebody would bring up the POTA figures. They're fine - but as you said Rory, it's just the head area they've done there.. much easier to manage a decent look. Besides - Chewie's fur doesn't look the same as the apes' hair for my money, & so it'd need a unique technical approach again I feel, if they were to attempt it properly.

AND..

..because no, no way in hell would a sculpted One work.

I emphatically disagree.

The sculpted ideas that have been presented, are much more plausible than a convincing stick of fairy floss. :huh :lol

swsqueakquels
03-25-2013, 06:40 AM

Rorywan
03-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I thought somebody would bring up the POTA figures. They're fine - but as you said Rory, it's just the head area they've done there.. much easier to manage a decent look. Besides - Chewie's fur doesn't look the same as the apes' hair for my money, & so it'd need a unique technical approach again I feel, if they were to attempt it properly.

I actually think the head area on the Apes is very close to what they would need to do for chewie. The hair is so fine it falls, flattens perfectly.
Sure it's not the right colour, but that's not much of an issue these days.
IMO the head and face would be the most challenging for HT. The body, arms etc just need an undersuit with different hair lengths on it.

The area around the nose, and mouth would be trickiest, and may need to be a sculpted section on top of the fur covering the rest of the head. I think it would look fantastic personally, even as a combo between real fur and sculpted. And I think the POTA figures show it could work very well.

If the Apes hadn't real fur, you wouldn't even be able to turn their heads. Long sculpted hair (vinyl/rubber/plastic whatever) KILLS articulation. Look at poor old Thor. And he only has hair at the back and sides.
The only mild success has been Jack Sparrows dreads, which don't really count as they are basically like Predators dreads, not full hair/fur.
:dunno

Craig77
03-25-2013, 08:11 AM

AND..

I emphatically disagree.

The sculpted ideas that have been presented, are much more plausible than a convincing stick of fairy floss. :huh :lol

:exactly::clap:clap
Yeah I agree, with sculpted techniques that are available today, sculpted all the way. I would actually be dissapointed if they went with fur, too much of a headache.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 08:31 AM
IMO the head and face would be the most challenging for HT. The body, arms etc just need an undersuit with different hair lengths on it.

The area around the nose, and mouth would be trickiest, and may need to be a sculpted section on top of the fur covering the rest of the head. I think it would look fantastic personally, even as a combo between real fur and sculpted. And I think the POTA figures show it could work very well.
The colour thing's a non issue - yeah, but trying to blend solid plastic pieces with the faux fur? That immediately conjures up alarm bells to me. The Apes faces aren't like Chewie's; they're bare black skinned - & not only does that allow the black hair to blend with the plastic mask / face much easier because the masks looked like that anyway, but it's a ton easier to replicate than a fur covered face with great detail. Chewie needs consistency there; it's one or the other. I'm surprised you think 'blending' would look good actually, considering you're a real detail nut like me. :lol

If the Apes hadn't real fur, you wouldn't even be able to turn their heads. Long sculpted hair (vinyl/rubber/plastic whatever) KILLS articulation. Look at poor old Thor. And he only has hair at the back and sides.
Squeak showed a pic of the little Hasbro VOTC Chewie (a landmark figure), which illustrates the articulation thing perfectly. If they use a figure like THAT as somewhat of a guide - better high end plastics etc aside, they simply can't go wrong. Soft plastic at the articulation points where the 'fur' overlaps the joints, & harder material where the structure / body sculpt needs it.

You can't go wrong like that. :wink1:

FLOSI
03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
I'll take whatever I can get.

Rorywan
03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Fur. I like my wookies woolly.

FLOSI
03-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I want fur, for sure.

Shropt
03-25-2013, 09:20 AM
My issue isn't whether we should get fur, it should just be fur. We've had sculpted fur from Hasbro and now the Sideshow PF so we now need fur. In this golden age of 1/6th it seems like if we'll ever get one then it will be now.

Raymond F.
03-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I want fur, for sure.

FURSURE!

:clap

FLOSI
03-25-2013, 09:26 AM
There's really nothing I want more than a 1/6th Chewie. Getting 3PO a couple weeks ago really highlighted the massive hole I had in my collection by not owning the Droids and Chewie.

kl241
03-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Um.... NO.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4113XY6KSHL._SY445_.jpg

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Why are you guys using ridiculous example pics to argue you point of not wanting a sculpted version? :lol

kl241
03-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Because it doesn't work. :lol

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Because it doesn't work. :lol
The silly pics?

Agreed!! :hi5:

kl241
03-25-2013, 09:40 AM
You can have a Chewbacca that looks like a giant turd then. :lol

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 09:43 AM
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=m4bCa5hGGTzZlM&tbnid=dfh2b7Mp2QpotM:&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2F25.media.tumblr.com%2Ftumblr_lhzi g94gmd1qa5l6to1_500.gif&ei=lH5QUeWhJ4adiAeczoG4Dg&psig=AFQjCNEe2SdciS_i5wlvD17on747i7EhOw&ust=1364316180672317

We'll see.. :lol

galactiboy
03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I think the only sculpted option that would work is to have the hair be some kind of rubbery material and then you'd still have the hair in a single pose and it would kink-up oddly when you moved him around.

If the only option is sculpted then I'd just as soon buy a statue. Although I'm more than happy with my 1/6 custom Chewie... it's not perfect, but definitely in the "good enough" category.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 09:55 AM
I'd love to see them do an outstanding cotton candy Chewie - honestly. :huh

To me though it presents more cons than pros. An inconsistent look, a non authentic look, the thing deteriorating over a shorter time..

They might actually be able to design a fine nylon type material, that is sturdier than plush toy hair, & that keeps it's shape a lot better.

That.. I'd like to see. :lecture

kl241
03-25-2013, 10:01 AM
If Hot Toys can do it with a few damn dirty apes there shouldn't be a problem with a Wookie.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Heads (sans face).. vs a whole figure.

Major difference. :huh

Lee in MI
03-25-2013, 10:06 AM
If Hot Toys can do it with a few damn dirty apes there shouldn't be a problem with a Wookie.

:lecture:exactly:

Better yet, just let Hot Toys do it.

galactiboy
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM

A relatively small tuft of hair on a figures head is not really the same thing as a full body suit.

I still think it can be done, but the Apes don't really prove much.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 11:12 AM
..but the Apes don't really prove much.
..& that's my point ultimately. :lecture

They need to approach the project from a fresh perspective. It's 2013 now - surely there are more options on the table, if they're prepared to put their money where their mouth is. :huh

galactiboy
03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
I think the two main issues with a furry Chewbacca 1) getting the face to look like Chewey through the fur. Unlike the POTA figures; Chewie's face is covered completely covered and if the hair doesn't lay properly and maintain the correct shape everything is off.

I've seen some very well done customs, but when it came to the head it looked awful.

2nd issue is getting the right lankyness to the body. I think the only feasible way to do this is a body suit, but you'd have to start with a very thin body and the work on the hair would have be very high quality.

I don't think it's possible to get him 100% in 1/6, but I think it could be pretty close.

galactiboy
03-25-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out, but applying hair to a head is a lot of work and I could see companies shying away from it. And as an example, in profile what I did is not bad, but really the muzzle is too long and you really don't know for sure what you have until you've put an hour or so of work into covering the damn thing :lol

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/galactiboy/Customfigures/chewc-1.jpg

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I have the ultimate option actually..

If it doesn't meet my criteria - it's a pass.

Pixelpiper
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Sculpting techniques have improved ten fold in the last decade or so.

I know a few people alive and dead anywhere from 100 to 2000+ years that might disagree with that statement. I strongly disagree with it myself.

We may have better *casting* materials available and better mold making equipment for mass-production, but sculpting technique and finished product have not improved even two-fold in the past 100 years, let alone 10 fold in the last decade.

A Chewie using any kind fur will need to be styled and treated to hold the fur/hair in a more matted fashion. One thing you can't do at any scale, is to cheat physics. And it's physics that prevents you from achieving perfect scale every time. You can't just make thinner fibers - they don't have the mass necessary to drape when acted upon by gravity, or external forces like wind. It could be made to work, but it's going to be a significant effort and above all, a huge QC undertaking. Sculpted could also work but has its own set of issues and detractions. Speaking for myself, I'd much rather see an attempt in styled fur than a sculpture. Having different colors will be very important to prevent the figure from looking like a squirrel or other furry animal, as well as having portions/clumps styled independently, plus portions of different lengths.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 12:41 PM
I know a few people alive and dead anywhere from 100 to 2000+ years that might disagree with that statement. I strongly disagree with it myself.

We may have better *casting* materials available and better mold making equipment for mass-production, but sculpting technique and finished product have not improved even two-fold in the past 100 years, let alone 10 fold in the last decade.

Yeah? :lol

Please - give us some examples, I'd love to be informed. :huh

Pixelpiper
03-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Pick up book on the history of sculpture to see plenty of examples. Then hop on a plane and go to France, Italy and Greece and visit some museums to be truly blown away. :horror

Comparing the current level of 1/6 action figure sculpture and busts and statues, (whatever you see for sale at Sideshow for instance) to the history of sculpture is patently absurd. :slap Any historic master sculptor likely forgot more about sculpting than anyone in the business today is likely to ever know in their lifetimes.

Don't confuse materials science and process automation with the art of sculpting.

Rorywan
03-25-2013, 01:53 PM
A relatively small tuft of hair on a figures head is not really the same thing as a full body suit.

I still think it can be done, but the Apes don't really prove much.

I disagree about the apes. Have you actually held one? The entire head is covered and tapers perfectly down the back and chest. The chewy face could be sculpted in the same color as the hair just a smaller area than the full chimp face needed on the POTA figures.

:dunno

galactiboy
03-25-2013, 01:59 PM
I do... I own the Soldier.

But I don't know that it would look very good to have the face sculpted in the center with hair protuding out from it. Maybe the best option from a production stand-point, but I don't think it would look particularly nice.

Rorywan
03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
I do... I own the Soldier.

But I don't know that it would look very good to have the face sculpted in the center with hair protuding out from it. Maybe the best option from a production stand-point, but I don't think it would look particularly nice.

The apes were made in the early days of HT though, I would imagine they could do a very effective job of it now, the eyes, nose and mouth would need to be sculpted anyhow. The sculpted area could be pretty minimal I think. :dunno

AdamFett
03-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Half sculpted, half implanted hair work maybe? :dunno

Niltusk
03-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Its 2013, if you're happy with a scuplted Wookie good for you, but its a waste of a release.

galactiboy
03-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Maybe... and the Apes aren't that old :lol

When I think of early days of HT; I'm thinking Colonial Marines or if you really want to get early the unlicensed Neo figure :lol

Rorywan
03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Maybe... and the Apes aren't that old :lol

When I think of early days of HT; I'm thinking Colonial Marines or if you really want to get early the unlicensed Neo figure :lol

:lol true.
Well they were 4 or 5 years ago weren't they?
It seems like that anyway, maybe I'm getting old.

galactiboy
03-25-2013, 02:29 PM
I was wondering that too... as it really seems like it was a long time ago. I looked on MWCToys and he did an in-hand review in August of 2009 :google So about 3 1/2years ago.

swsqueakquels
03-25-2013, 02:35 PM

barryo
03-25-2013, 02:38 PM
so when we try to approximate the age of items we have to figure out " how many is that in hot toys years"?......:lol

sithlord13
03-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I think fur is possible. I think a sculpted figure could look really good as well. I doubt that a fantastic fur figure is affordable.

Sorry to upset the fur lovers but I ld take a sculpted one. I have the rots one at the mo and I like it and they could so much better now.

swsqueakquels
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM

FLOSI
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Really, this is all conjecture. To show some 20 year old Hasbro doll and point out that it's evidence that hair will or will not work is silly.

swsqueakquels
03-25-2013, 02:56 PM

Star Puffs
03-25-2013, 02:59 PM
I dunno... how far removed is a fur suit from a sniper's gillie suit?

A hair suit involves millions of micron sized fibres, even if man-made. Gillie suits have far thicker, far fewer component strands.

Hair has to lie down in just a certain way to look realistic. The subtle highlights of hair are hard to capture in an artificial fibre.

A replica also has to capture that subtle short hair to long transition from around the mouth and nose. We can barely make realistic human doll hair, when the real thing is relatively uniform and comes to an abrupt end at the forehead.

Gillie suits in contrast can pretty much be a random mess because that is what they are supposed to replicate.

I think a real hair Chewbacca would be fanatastic as an ideal, But creative use of rubber at the joints of a sculpted Chewie is a lot more realistic.

Pixelpiper
03-25-2013, 03:18 PM
The problem is that for every one of those, there is one of these...

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l57/texastoys/brownie/100_5789.jpg

A little bit of VO5 color and some Dapper Dan and these guys clean up really nice. Don't forget that Chewie is sitting on his knees in that box.

http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/dapperdan.jpg

swsqueakquels
03-25-2013, 03:25 PM

Lejuan
03-25-2013, 03:42 PM
A hair suit involves millions of micron sized fibres, even if man-made. Gillie suits have far thicker, far fewer component strands.

Hair has to lie down in just a certain way to look realistic. The subtle highlights of hair are hard to capture in an artificial fibre.

A replica also has to capture that subtle short hair to long transition from around the mouth and nose. We can barely make realistic human doll hair, when the real thing is relatively uniform and comes to an abrupt end at the forehead.

Gillie suits in contrast can pretty much be a random mess because that is what they are supposed to replicate.

I think a real hair Chewbacca would be fanatastic as an ideal, But creative use of rubber at the joints of a sculpted Chewie is a lot more realistic.

That's too bad. So the only way 'fur' could work is to punch it directly into the plastic... and even that would fall short of providing a convincing Wookie do. I'm very happy with Sparrow's dreads... if this effect could be convincingly applied throughout an entire body it could look good I guess. The issue would then be not how well it holds up as a stand-alone piece but how well it fits with the figures around it.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Pick up book on the history of sculpture to see plenty of examples. Then hop on a plane and go to France, Italy and Greece and visit some museums to be truly blown away. :horror

Comparing the current level of 1/6 action figure sculpture and busts and statues, (whatever you see for sale at Sideshow for instance) to the history of sculpture is patently absurd. :slap Any historic master sculptor likely forgot more about sculpting than anyone in the business today is likely to ever know in their lifetimes.

Don't confuse materials science and process automation with the art of sculpting.
Right.. :lol

I'm not comparing timeless classic art to toys - what an obnoxious implication, get over yourself.

I'm talking modern collectible design techniques, & how they've evolved - that's all.

Pixelpiper
03-25-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm not trying to make this into an argument, but you mentioned specifically "sculpting techniques," which is talent, had evolved. If you meant to say something else, then you should have said something else.

I think the biggest thing to change in recent years has been the audience and DIY participants. The collector and what is demanded. The number of collectors and of course the ease of sharing information because of the internet. Sculpting accurate 1/6 heads and parts by hand was possible in decades past. The modelers working here in the forums are using precisely the same techniques that have always been used with clay, wax, etc. Yet even in small batch custom runs, you see a lot more photo-realistic options available today than you did 10 or 20 years ago. I remember frequenting forums around 95-96 and while there were a few exceptional examples, the level just wasn't where it is today. But that's mainly due to the participants. More people brings more variation, speeding up the evolution of what's expected, fueling competitiveness. Bringing greater awareness and a larger audience comes, then greater demand for a realistic product. Demand equals opportunity and sure enough people come around to satisfy that. Plenty of threads in this forum alone for high end sculpts and tailored items.

Another big factor that's really helped this hobby is the wide availability of great base bodies. 20 years ago you might still be sticking a super realistic head on a Hasbro body after all. The process has been organic.

But in considering toys, while there are some amazing pieces available today, it's foolish to ignore classics and fine examples of the past. IMO, many mainstream toys aren't even good enough to be pale shadows of what was being produced in the 60's-80's.

RavenEye
03-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Plastic, no... Now a rubber seamless body with implanted hair stuck in underneath and shaved properly... maybe.

Lejuan
03-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Plastic, no... Now a rubber seamless body with implanted hair stuck in underneath and shaved properly... maybe.

Seamless rubber body? Good heavens no. It'll deteriorate within a few years and all you'll have at the end of it is an ewok.

kl241
03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Seamless rubber body? Good heavens no. It'll deteriorate within a few years and all you'll have at the end of it is an ewok.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:goodpost::exactly:

sithlord13
03-26-2013, 01:08 AM
I guess I'm not the biggest chewie fan going. Lol but I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for a chewie. Not even with real fur and I can't see it being any cheaper.

Lejuan
03-26-2013, 01:18 AM
I guess I'm not the biggest chewie fan going. Lol but I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for a chewie. Not even with real fur and I can't see it being any cheaper.

If $500 bought a shrunk-down Chewie in the same way that Tamashii managed a more or less shrunk-down 3PO... forgive me, but I'd probably buy it :(

sithlord13
03-26-2013, 02:20 AM
If $500 bought a shrunk-down Chewie in the same way that Tamashii managed a more or less shrunk-down 3PO... forgive me, but I'd probably buy it :(

Forgiven .....

Seriously no forgiveness required. I just couldn't explain that that to my wife.

I'm still struggling over not buying the c3po. Want it.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-26-2013, 02:42 AM
I'm not trying to make this into an argument..
Well.. use some tact, & maybe not lay the smart-arse routine on so thick next time.
If you meant to say something else, then you should have said something else.. :lol

..but you mentioned specifically "sculpting techniques," which is talent, had evolved. If you meant..
Fair enough - but if you thought I was saying everything in history wasn't worthy until ten years ago..

..then one of these right back at ya -> :slap :wave

I try to be polite & friendly to everyone here as much as possible (I even spoke on your behalf in the 'show us your troops' thread), but your last post there was unecessary BS, & I didn't feel like biting my tongue this time - as I have done with many a smart-arse around here. :)

swsqueakquels
03-26-2013, 03:41 AM

Craig77
03-26-2013, 06:46 AM
[QUOTE=pixelpiper;5465259]I'm not trying to make this into an argument, but you mentioned specifically "sculpting techniques," which is talent, had evolved. If you meant to say something else, then you should have said something else.

Actually I have to disagree to some extent with you. Historically there are some impressive sculptures for any given time period with some impressive detail in some pretty hard to deal with mediums i.e marble, granite,gold. However given the detail we now get today and at the size (1/6th), sculpture techniques as a result of demand have come along way...VintijDroidGutzz is right.

In no way are we comparing the historical significance, but yes techniques have gotten better given the tools and mediums we use.
And I do not believe anyone is arguing given these artist had the same tools, they could possible have done as well....maybe. One thing is most of the late sculptors did so in 1:1 and larger, which generally is for an artist easier...not easy...easier. If you look in the last 50 years where one could argue there has been a demand for great likeness at the 1/6th level, museums,toys,ect.. there really has been an evolution in techniques ect..

Sorry to go off, but I saw a bit of a flaw in your argument...:1-1:

nexus
03-26-2013, 06:49 AM
While shaggy faux hair fur would be very cool and might work for short run customs, I think the best solution for commercial runs would be sculpted with some kind of a textured finish (flocked paint or something along those lines). Then of course you'd want faux leather and metal for the bandolier.

galactiboy
03-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Really, this is all conjecture. To show some 20 year old Hasbro doll and point out that it's evidence that hair will or will not work is silly.

And what's funny is so far the best looking customs (IMO) are using that figure. In hand the fur is actually a very nice quality and doesn't have the stiffness most faux fur does.

The biggest issue so far has been the thickness of the figures once completed... although I'm very interested to see how Barryo's V2 turns out as he's starting with a thinner body.

generalgrevious
03-26-2013, 08:53 AM
I don't know if the body is thinner or not it might be how thick the suit is I think it`s more where the seams from being stitched together that's where it looks puffy (IMO)

FlyAndFight
03-26-2013, 06:59 PM
No.

Fur or forget about it.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

kl241
03-26-2013, 07:32 PM
I think SSC is so daunted by taking on this that they won't even try.

DCFett
03-26-2013, 10:41 PM
I havent read this whole thread, but go FUR or go home!

swsqueakquels
03-26-2013, 10:54 PM

VintijDroidGutzz
03-27-2013, 01:17 AM
I'm yet to see one outstanding furry custom (no offense to the great customizers here). :lol

CaptnRex
03-27-2013, 02:03 AM
I think SSC is so daunted by taking on this that they won't even try.

:exactly:

Same reason they handed over Threepio to Bandai and if the rumours are true same with Grievous.

The only Chewie we are ever likely to get will be sculpted.

Niltusk
03-27-2013, 05:09 PM
:exactly:

Same reason they handed over Threepio to Bandai and if the rumours are true same with Grievous.The only Chewie we are ever likely to get will be sculpted.

I like that rumor, hope its true.

TotalDominAsian
03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
They need to realize that if they created a realistic Chewbacca using fur... they could price it at $400 and we'd still buy it.

redeye
03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
They need to realize that if they created a realistic Chewbacca using fur... they could price it at $400 and we'd still buy it.

So true :slap

Lejuan
03-27-2013, 07:56 PM

What rumours are these? The same ones started by a couple of speculative posts in the Tamashii 3PO thread that since Tamashii are planning on releasing more SW figures after R2 then it could be Grievous? This rumour reminds of the "Bane DX" talk the DC fans keep banging on about - though I have to say, a Tamashii Grievous seems a lot more likely than a Bane DX.

swsqueakquels
03-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Lejuan
03-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Oh, my rumor's now just a "speculative post", huh?:acme

No way. It may have started life as a speculative post, but it quickly morphed into a rumour and hearsay, and now it's not far off being gospel truth :lol

CaptnRex
03-28-2013, 01:42 AM
A Tamashii Grievous is one of the better rumours I've heard.:lol

DCFett
03-28-2013, 02:15 AM
That being said, an extremely intricate, layered fur sculpt with soft, very matte plastic I can sort of see working in that miraculous-HT way (where it looks utterly convincing and you can't figure out how they did it.)

See, there you go bringin up HT! You gotta not even mention them or the SS folks will RUNAWAY, RUNAWAY. WE CANT DO IT LIKE THEY DO!! :rotfl
I remember being in a panel at SDCC where Brant out right said that SS had no idea how HT could do something like the Tumbler for the amount they sold it for. I was sitting there like "WTF!? man, shouldnt you be figuring that sheit out!?" To be this far into their license and not even have all the main characters is almost criminal. I thought when SS first started producing these that this would be the ultimate in 1/6th SW representation, but it's really REALLY clear to me that I put that expectation on SS, not that they started out to make the best 1/6th SW line ever. But I guess it will have to do for now...:peace

VintijDroidGutzz
03-28-2013, 02:19 AM
SSC are like Ginger beer, when there's no real beer around. :lol

DCFett
03-28-2013, 02:22 AM
HEY! I luv Ginger beer, mon! :)

galactiboy
03-28-2013, 06:35 AM

I don't think C-3PO was farmed out either... Tamashii is releasing a different product in conjunction with Sideshow. But I believe Sideshow will still release their own versions. If they had continued to shy away from non-standard body figures I would be concerned, but with releases like the Gamorrean Guard, IG-88 and the Battle Droids Sideshow has shown a greater commitment to this series.

As for Chewbacca, I don't know what they'll do but again I'm confident something will eventually get released.