Could a sculpted 1/6 Chewbacca work?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Furget about it? :)

I think sculpting could work if it was using a softer material with some pliability. I really like the look of the PF Chewie.

I just don't see how they could pull off a completely fur-covered 1/6 figure consistently that looked good. If they did the time to produce each figure would make the price outrageously high.

No.

Fur or forget about it.

They could have offered sculpted long ago.

No.

Fur or forget about it.

They could have offered sculpted long ago.
Sculpting techniques have improved ten fold in the last decade or so. I agree that it's totally possible to approach the aesthetics & articulation with that right balance of design, & functionality. It can SO be done well if they pull their fingers out & take it seriously.

'Fur'.. will look like RUBBISH. :lecture

Furget about it? :)

I think sculpting could work if it was using a softer material with some pliability. I really like the look of the PF Chewie.

I just don't see how they could pull off a completely fur-covered 1/6 figure consistently that looked good. If they did the time to produce each figure would make the price outrageously high.

People shelled out $400 for a high end C3P0 and they would for a high end fur Chewy.

That PF btw, looks awesome, but I'm not into those really.

If they go plastic, mixed media or whatever - it's about using materials that are not only able to blend together well enough (like the hard / soft areas for articulation vs durability as mentioned already) but finding a sculptor that can make it look as detailed as you can possibly get it.

The potential QC issues associated with a fluffy version, would be the perfect catalyst for a complaint thread in here of EPIC proportions not seen since.. :lol

Yeh, they're basic (if you mean basic in the sense of not being sophisticated enough to apply as is to Chewie) but they come at a basic price. Maybe at an additional but still reasonable cost 'fur' could be stitched into a well-tailored outer fabric suit and slapped over an articulated body. I have no idea how close to possible that is. The head sculpt especially would pose some challenges.

Then I think of Jack Sparrow's dreads and wonder whether a good looking sculpted solution like Vintij speculates on is possible. Evilface is right in saying that people'd shell out for a good fur Chewie though, I know I would.

Well I know it wasn't complete fur covering, but HT did a great job (for the time) with their Planet of The Apes Gorillas. I think they could do it now. The fur would have to be attached in seams into the plastic and brushed to cover the gaps, which is pretty much what they are doing with their female haired releases these days.

I vote for Fur or nothing.

Fur and hair is fine if it's brushed flat and fixed. There would be no need for a fluffy chewie. It's just whether HT fancy putting the R&D costs into it.

Sideshow are not the guys to do it lets face it. I think hot toys could do it convincingly, by do it I mean offer a fur chewbacca because no, no way in hell would a sculpted One work.

But they are loaded up until 2016 wasting their efforts on Anakin and Padme along the way. Chewbacca is more important especially since the might be the only ones who coul pull it off at this point

Let's get a poll going. :lol

I'm guessing the fur heads will win. :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

:lol

They did these years ago and they are still awesome. I love the two I have..

dfdff7df7fdsfdsfsfsfsdfsd_zpsa283655f.jpg

Yeah, I thought somebody would bring up the POTA figures. They're fine - but as you said Rory, it's just the head area they've done there.. much easier to manage a decent look. Besides - Chewie's fur doesn't look the same as the apes' hair for my money, & so it'd need a unique technical approach again I feel, if they were to attempt it properly.

AND..

..because no, no way in hell would a sculpted One work.

I emphatically disagree.

The sculpted ideas that have been presented, are much more plausible than a convincing stick of fairy floss. :huh :lol

Yeah, I thought somebody would bring up the POTA figures. They're fine - but as you said Rory, it's just the head area they've done there.. much easier to manage a decent look. Besides - Chewie's fur doesn't look the same as the apes' hair for my money, & so it'd need a unique technical approach again I feel, if they were to attempt it properly.

I actually think the head area on the Apes is very close to what they would need to do for chewie. The hair is so fine it falls, flattens perfectly.
Sure it's not the right colour, but that's not much of an issue these days.
IMO the head and face would be the most challenging for HT. The body, arms etc just need an undersuit with different hair lengths on it.

The area around the nose, and mouth would be trickiest, and may need to be a sculpted section on top of the fur covering the rest of the head. I think it would look fantastic personally, even as a combo between real fur and sculpted. And I think the POTA figures show it could work very well.

If the Apes hadn't real fur, you wouldn't even be able to turn their heads. Long sculpted hair (vinyl/rubber/plastic whatever) KILLS articulation. Look at poor old Thor. And he only has hair at the back and sides.
The only mild success has been Jack Sparrows dreads, which don't really count as they are basically like Predators dreads, not full hair/fur.
:dunno

AND..

I emphatically disagree.

The sculpted ideas that have been presented, are much more plausible than a convincing stick of fairy floss. :huh :lol

:exactly::clap:clap
Yeah I agree, with sculpted techniques that are available today, sculpted all the way. I would actually be dissapointed if they went with fur, too much of a headache.

IMO the head and face would be the most challenging for HT. The body, arms etc just need an undersuit with different hair lengths on it.

The area around the nose, and mouth would be trickiest, and may need to be a sculpted section on top of the fur covering the rest of the head. I think it would look fantastic personally, even as a combo between real fur and sculpted. And I think the POTA figures show it could work very well.
The colour thing's a non issue - yeah, but trying to blend solid plastic pieces with the faux fur? That immediately conjures up alarm bells to me. The Apes faces aren't like Chewie's; they're bare black skinned - & not only does that allow the black hair to blend with the plastic mask / face much easier because the masks looked like that anyway, but it's a ton easier to replicate than a fur covered face with great detail. Chewie needs consistency there; it's one or the other. I'm surprised you think 'blending' would look good actually, considering you're a real detail nut like me. :lol

If the Apes hadn't real fur, you wouldn't even be able to turn their heads. Long sculpted hair (vinyl/rubber/plastic whatever) KILLS articulation. Look at poor old Thor. And he only has hair at the back and sides.
Squeak showed a pic of the little Hasbro VOTC Chewie (a landmark figure), which illustrates the articulation thing perfectly. If they use a figure like THAT as somewhat of a guide - better high end plastics etc aside, they simply can't go wrong. Soft plastic at the articulation points where the 'fur' overlaps the joints, & harder material where the structure / body sculpt needs it.

You can't go wrong like that. :wink1:

Last edited:
Back