Escape From New York Remake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually liked the concept better than the execution on the Plissken movies ... so I'm fine with a remake. I've seen LA more than NY -- but there's some really cheesy stuff in there that could benefit from an update.

All depends on casting, I suppose.

SnakeDoc

Updated post from BAD on the ridiculous nature of origin stories which were never needed in the first place.

Not like it is a sacred cow or anything, considering that Carpenter himself revisited the movie with a crappy '90s sequel. But the original film didn't succeed, in my opinion, because it was some brilliant idea. It works because it was a great mesh of the right parts coming together in the right way at the right time. Russel + Carpenter in the '70s and '80s were just a great pairing no matter how they did it. In that sense, I don't see the need for this, but few stones go unturned when studios want to capitalize on name recognition of an old cult movie in modern times. I expect this to be about as creatively/commercially successful as the equally unnecessary and misguided Thing prequel.

Nooooooooo. **** stop with the ****ty remakes already. Hollywood needs new talent, oh wait our current economy won't hire new talent or anyone who is not currently employed. So this what we get.. remake after remake after remake. They horde the money and put in half the effort. USA is doomed.

Do people know that when fresh college grads or unemployed people apply for jobs online their application is automatically rejected by a computer system parameters before it even reaches human beings in hr. Do you also know that this is why unemployment doesn't change. Any gaps in resume or work experience regardless of reason and you are rejected by a system.

Not like it is a sacred cow or anything, considering that Carpenter himself revisited the movie with a crappy '90s sequel. But the original film didn't succeed, in my opinion, because it was some brilliant idea. It works because it was a great mesh of the right parts coming together in the right way at the right time. Russel + Carpenter in the '70s and '80s were just a great pairing no matter how they did it. In that sense, I don't see the need for this, but few stones go unturned when studios want to capitalize on name recognition of an old cult movie in modern times. I expect this to be about as creatively/commercially successful as the equally unnecessary and misguided Thing prequel.

The original and From Dusk Till Dawn are a lot of like. From Dusk Till Dawn was awesome right up until the vampires came. Escape from NY was awesome until the glider landed. Then it all goes to hell. :lol

I would welcome a remake.

I think the creative team that made the new Dredd would be a great fit for this, including Urban as Plissken. Lose the CG blood and they'd be all set.

Nooooooooo. **** stop with the ****ty remakes already. Hollywood needs new talent, oh wait our current economy won't hire new talent or anyone who is not currently employed. So this what we get.. remake after remake after remake. They horde the money and put in half the effort. USA is doomed.

Do people know that when fresh college grads or unemployed people apply for jobs online their application is automatically rejected by a computer system parameters before it even reaches human beings in hr. Do you also know that this is why unemployment doesn't change. Any gaps in resume or work experience regardless of reason and you are rejected by a system.

tumblr_mf8vm2GNDS1qlqunwo1_400.gif

SnakeDoc

I think the creative team that made the new Dredd would be a great fit for this, including Urban as Plissken. Lose the CG blood and they'd be all set.
That I would actually like to see. . .I think there is definitely the potential here to make something even better than the original, which as Badmoon suggests wasn't exactly fine art (though it has its charms, and I am a fan). But again, it isn't the idea of Escape that is great. The Dredd creative team could come up with any generic "bad *** in post-apocalyptic world" scenario and it would probably be great.

Funny being from Texas I think u would care cause these same people are taking gov freebees and our tax dollar the longer they are unemployed.. Let people work man, people go to school for a reason yet our country won't give them jobs. The days of Ben afflect winning an Oscar at like 20 are ****ing over. Hence why u see the same directors over and over up for awards. These remakes are just a symptom of a messed up economy and lack of creative influx of new talent

(1) Remakes aren't exclusive to a sour economy.
(2) Unemployment is low in Texas.
(3) Who cares about Oscars?
(4) What does any of this have to do with Escape from NY?

SnakeDoc

(1) Remakes aren't exclusive to a sour economy.
(2) Unemployment is low in Texas.
(3) Who cares about Oscars?
(4) What does any of this have to do with Escape from NY?

SnakeDoc

1) low unemployment in texas has no effect on your federal taxes (your federal income tax %, since its cumulative) or your Futa taxes if u are an employer.

2) how many remakes did we have in the 80-90s when. Our economy was much better.

3) I don't care about Oscars but that does not discount the fact that 20 year olds were being nominated for best screen play/director when economy was better.

4) its another remake due to lack of creativity caused by lack of fresh ideas and talent

5) there are plenty of highly qualified people with fresh ideas that are currently unemployed and not given a chance.

6) you are paying more and more to see these movies every year to receive inferior product in return. Without competition and influx of talent quality and creativity suffers.

Last edited:
2) how many remakes did we have in the 80-90s when. Our economy was much better.

4) its another remake due to lack of creativity caused by lack of fresh ideas and talent

The 80s and 90s had sequels rather than remakes. Same thing ... cashing in on a known franchise. Some are better than others.

I must've missed all the fresh ideas and creative talent in Nightmare on Elm Street 5 (1989). Or Friday the 13th VI (1986). Or Rocky 5 (1990). Or Batman & Robin (1997). Or Jaws: The Revenge (1987). Or Star Trek 5 (1989). Or Grease 2 (1982). Or Psycho II (1982). Or Staying Alive (1983, sequel to Saturday Night Fever). Or Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987). Or the Karate Kid 4 (1994). Or Speed 2 (1997). Or the Odd Couple 2 (1998 ... a sequel 30-years in the making). Or Home Alone 3 (1997).

Or -- on topic -- Escape from LA (1996) ... oddly, the last time we revisited this franchise was during a reasonably good economy.

SnakeDoc

The 80s and 90s had sequels rather than remakes. Same thing ... cashing in on a known franchise. Some are better than others.

I must've missed all the fresh ideas and creative talent in Nightmare on Elm Street 5 (1989). Or Friday the 13th VI (1986). Or Rocky 5 (1990). Or Batman & Robin (1997). Or Jaws: The Revenge (1987). Or Star Trek 5 (1989). Or Grease 2 (1982). Or Psycho II (1982). Or Staying Alive (1983, sequel to Saturday Night Fever). Or Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987). Or the Karate Kid 4 (1994). Or Speed 2 (1997). Or the Odd Couple 2 (1998 ... a sequel 30-years in the making). Or Home Alone 3 (1997).

Or -- on topic -- Escape from LA (1996) ... oddly, the last time we revisited this franchise was during a reasonably good economy.

SnakeDoc

Well considering that those movies wouldn't even be released now since companies need to be guaranteed a huge return before taking a chance on a film. You can use the sequel (which all from the 80s) as an excuse but there were also a ton of new movies and young directors coming up with good quality films.

In today's world nothing is new. Its either a remake or based on comic book or novel. If its new only Chris nolan and Spielberg are accorded that opportunity. Good will hunting would never been greenlit in this day in age. The script would have been rejected by a computer program before it even reached human eyes

Last edited:
Back