PDA

View Full Version : Hot Toys, you're my only hope... No there is another... UU!

Raymond F.
03-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Sorry about the thread title. Couldn't resist :D

Ok guys the reality is this Hot Toys figures are always gonna be great, but the one a year thing and prequel injections (I don't hate the prequels at all I just place them way lower on the priority list) over the course of 4 or 5 years and two core characters from the original trilogy is not enough to make me believe in my lifetime and interest level ill build the collection of Star Wars that I deem up to calibre with the rest of my collection. Thankfully UU is out there sneaking good releases in, and sideshow can take care of the less human characters just fine after theirs releases are modded and upgraded.

People might ***** about the price but the reality is even though I only spent 50 bucks less than Luke and had to do upgrades, I have a Han on my shelf that's up to calibre with my Luke, and since HT might not get to Han until 2014(more like 15) hell I'll take it.

Sure their Farmboy Luke was pretty brutal but doubters of the Han release just wonder over to the thread below on this forum for the sleeper hit that was Han, it sports the best Harrison Ford likeness done in this scale bar none and some fantastically tailored clothes.

What's the next logical progression for UU? They did Luke and Han, Medicom can handle the vaders, bobas, royal guards etc without enterbays help so its all in the human releases. I'm hoping to see a Leia from them but its unlikely we've not seen much in the way of females from either Enterbay or Medicom, my theory is that if the next figure is not something from the prequels it will be something like Old Ben.

lerath666
03-16-2013, 11:16 AM
This isn't aimed at you Directly, just a general comment on the groundswell of your particular point of view.

what i don't get is the suprise.

Howard chan TOLD US AT THE BEGENNING that there would be AT MOST 1-2 figures a year. so Hot toys hitting delays, and dropping it to 1 SW figure a year... possibly every other year, should come as no suprise to anyone.

and given the climbing pricetag that these figures are going to be demanding, if it was any MORE often than once a year, i'd end up skipping them.

why not just enjoy what you have, instead of being Veruka?

Darth Waller
03-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Sideshow's 1/6 output has dropped considerably, so it's probably safe to assume many collectors would be wiling to buy multiple Hot Toys figures each year.

Mad Old Lu
03-16-2013, 11:34 AM
I agree with you to a point lerath. It's not a huge surprise at the slow rate HT has been going, but 1-2 a year as first announced is a big leap to the reality of 1 every 2 years.

However I don't think UU has really stepped up to the plate. Their figures are still way overprice when they first hit the market, they're super low on accessories, and their scale and bodies are still an issue (although that's debatable). Their Han was a pleasant surprise, especially the sculpt, but it required some significant modding to get it to a good level. I'd still place UU at third place behind HT and Sideshow.

Raymond F.
03-16-2013, 11:41 AM
No surprise here and I don't care, ill take what hot toys gives me and when, never expected more but they won't fill in the collection the way they need to by themselves. Sideshows human figures are now officially demoted, they don't cut it anymore. Even the great ones like old Ben. Luke has made them all obsolete.

UU may be third place but that's only because sideshow has the ability to deliver more creatures and armoured figures at a faster rate. Which ill gladly take but truth be told i have most lf what i need now anyway (vader boba stormtrooper) But I'll never buy a human from them again, no matter who repaints it, the humans have to be at Luke's level.

Rorywan
03-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Well I'm very happy to have the ability to buy Enterbay level Star Wars head sculpts. I'm still waiting to see what Sideshows quality is like on Epidode 1 Obi-Wan but my expectations are not so high.

So currently if we are talking human sculpts its just HT and UU.
And quality wise Enterbay beat HT most of the time with headsculpts.
For everything else HT wins hands down, but it's great we have another company also producing Star Wars. Medicom get a lot of hate, but they have produced some sterling figures on their own over the last few years. R2, R5, 3po, amazing Spidey etc..

Thanks to UU, I now have a very high quality Solo standing next to my HT Luke and Bandai 3p0.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I don't think people would appreciate super high end figures enough, if they got released every five minutes. They'd still be demanding more - or complaining that they can't keep up & are going broke... or call them passe. :lol

I LIKE the fact that the GOOD ones take time to manifest; it not only encourages one to enjoy what one already has (as mentioned), but it keeps things fresh & interesting, discussing possible future releases & all their potential goodness. :)

Raymond F.
03-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't think people would appreciate super high end figures enough, if they got released every five minutes. They'd still be demanding more - or complaining that they can't keep up & are going broke... or call them passe. :lol

I LIKE the fact that the GOOD ones take time to manifest; it not only encourages one to enjoy what one already has (as mentioned), but it keeps things fresh & interesting, discussing possible future releases & all their potential goodness. :)

For me though I dont need an endless supply of 12 inch Star Wars figures. That's what my 33/4 inch collection is for. So I can have ships and Jabbas six boobed dancer and the guy that sells death sticks and whatever else.

It stops at core at 1/6 for me and now there's just too much not up to speed, waiting 5 years to add core characters like obi wan to the mix is not cool with me. At this rate I only need a few.

I would get one, maybe two tops versions of the core characters, the most peripheral I'd get for characters in Star Wars 1/6 is Boba Fett and Stormtrooper and they are only considered majors to us because of what they mean to us but in actuality they are pretty secondary.

I'm fine with the bandai droids, modded darth vader, storm troopers and Boba on a tT, but it would be nice to stand a quality Liea, a couple more Luke's, Hans, obi wan, yoda, Lando and emporrer and of course Chewie there and call it a day.

And as far as prequels go its a little more complicated, I could actually live without any of them but in actuality I'd be satisfied with Anakin and obi EP3, Padme EP2, Qui Gon, Maul, Dooku and Maybe Grevious, one major clone trooper and maybe just maybe Mace and Jango.

nexus
03-16-2013, 01:04 PM
The UUs have not really impressed me to date and they are overpriced IMO. And unfortunately, it looks like HT is going to be pretty bogged down with Iron Man and Superman releases this year and into the next, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for Star Wars beyond. At this point I'd just be happy to see Anakin and/or Han protos.
I really don't know what the heck is going on with Sideshow's 1:6 releases, but it probably has mostly to do with milking the clones and trying to cash in on LSFs. Right now there are only two 1:6 Star Wars pre-orders in the queue, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Malgus show up in the next few weeks. I'm hoping by the time ComicCon rolls around SS will have a bunch of new 1:6 and a couple of key PFs up their sleeves, including Grievous, new Vader, and some decent females.
I don't collect Medis, had a couple and sold them. So unless some other company picks up the license the only other alternative is going to be customizers and short runs.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-16-2013, 09:16 PM
It stops at core at 1/6 for me and now there's just too much not up to speed, waiting 5 years to add core characters like obi wan to the mix is not cool with me. At this rate I only need a few.
Yeah, don't get me wrong - agreed. I only want a modest number of core & peripheral characters too, & waiting forever for that isn't ideal.

The thing is, who's to say that HT's implied release schedule is set in stone anyway? Sure, common sense would suggest that because of everything else they've announced or are planning, that SW is on the back burner.. but they're always shuffling things around behind the scenes - I can almost bet.

Marvel's time in the sun isn't endless, & other licenses may get priority over others at the drop of a hat without seemingly any rhyme or reason to it - that's how HT roll sometimes as we've seen.

Me personally? I'm not going to worry about early sketchy release info. I'm just going to enjoy what I've got & see what happens. :)

Niltusk
03-16-2013, 10:36 PM
UU really impressed me with their young Jodie Foster sculpt... then someone told me it wasn't Jodie Foster. :monkey2

ebor
03-16-2013, 10:57 PM
MEH, UU and HTs, Side Show is the King of Star Wars.:nana:

The others don't measure up due to lack of likeness (Jodie-***-boy, don't like teh new Han (sorry fan-boys) and HTs has only released 1 (yup one) figure from SW.:nana:

chilipep66
03-17-2013, 01:23 AM
the UU Han really is a fantastic figure, with Rays suggestion, putting it on a Blitzway body makes it perfect (with some adjustments one can even use the sideshow jacket and have a great bespin Han)

It really is a shame its gone seemigly unnoticed by most star wars collectors here, maybe it is because the UU Luke was such a fail and had such a huge price tag that no one gave Han a chance, but I promise, if your a SW 1/6 collector, its an absolute no brainer buy!

Rorywan
03-17-2013, 01:52 AM
MEH, UU and HTs, Side Show is the King of Star Wars.:nana:

The others don't measure up due to lack of likeness (Jodie-***-boy, don't like teh new Han (sorry fan-boys) and HTs has only released 1 (yup one) figure from SW.:nana:

Sideshow have been doing a reasonably good job with non human characters, but haven't released a decent production version of a human character to date.

lerath666
03-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Assuming you're completely discounting the GI joe line?

VintijDroidGutzz
03-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Yeah I must admit, their G.I Joes are quite good..

lerath666
03-17-2013, 07:36 AM
which is why I'm eager to see how The new obi-wan looks later this month.

Rorywan
03-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Assuming you're completely discounting the GI joe line?

They are definitely the best SS has done but they are not at HT or EB level IMO, by a long shot. That's not to knock them, but they are just not in the same league.

Yup, Sideshow have a lot riding on Obi-wan. I hope it's a knock out.

lerath666
03-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Granted, Hot toys have been doing a freakish amount of detail in some of their sculpts, right down to skin texture.

though, some of their newer ones have been lacking too.
then again, at 300$ per figure, they SHOULD be.

But MEH, we'll see what SS brings to the table with Young Ben in a few weeks :D

At the very least, I'm expecting superior to medicon detail.

How's the UU han hold up in comparison to hot toys detail BTW?

Rorywan
03-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Granted, Hot toys have been doing a freakish amount of detail in some of their sculpts, right down to skin texture.

though, some of their newer ones have been lacking too.
then again, at 300$ per figure, they SHOULD be.

But MEH, we'll see what SS brings to the table with Young Ben in a few weeks :D

At the very least, I'm expecting superior to medicon detail.

How's the UU han hold up in comparison to hot toys detail BTW?

The UU Solo head is amazing detail wise. I've believed of a long time now that Enterbay are the leaders when it comes to head sculpts and paint apps. Most of their sculpts make HT look pretty basic.

lerath666
03-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Only Enterbay figure i have currently is movie goku, and I must admit, he is VERY nice.

NOT UU figure pricerange nice, but as it's an older figure, i'd not expect it to be.

Niltusk
03-17-2013, 10:07 AM
UU looks like a joke compared with Hot Toys in the Star Wars arena so far.
$300 joke (although the Hasbro boots are swell)
http://media.mightyape.net.nz/images/products/19836775/Star-Wars-16-Scale-12-UU-Action-Figure-Luke-Skywalker-Episode-IV-14342227-5.jpeg

$300 figure
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SVBMiz0Gqt0/UIbDptEyiGI/AAAAAAAAV2o/s0mGw0CUtRc/s1600/DX+07+Luke+Skywalker+%2528Bespin+Outfit%2529+1.jpg

VintijDroidGutzz
03-17-2013, 10:25 AM
..$300 joke (although the Hasbro boots are swell)

:lecture :lol

Medi's prices just blow me away. :lol Honestly - what are they thinking? :pigfly:

lerath666
03-17-2013, 10:31 AM
They think the same thing that sony thinks about themselves.
That becuase they're medicom and enterbay, they can charge whatever they like.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Medi have a strong Asian following - I'm guessing, which perhaps balances out their presence in the wider market.

Charging what you like is fine, but once demand for your items starts to dry up.. you become a toothless tiger. :lol

lerath666
03-17-2013, 12:05 PM
That's when you partner up with someone else, to put new animals in the jungle.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Well.. I was lumping UU in there as well. :lol

ROTJ Han seems to be a bit of a breakthrough now, so maybe they'll do a Leia next that'll have us lining up in stampede numbers, who knows. She'll probably be too small though, I imagine..

OSCORP
03-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Medi prices are not so inflated over seas. I will never buy a UU or MEDI fig from SS. I just bought Vader for 208$ shipped from amiami. And the UU Han is 240$ shipped, (still kinda high) I think it's SS doing the price hikes. That's over 100 dollars difference. (ami's 3po and r2 are also well under 200$ shipped)

Also i would buy the UU Han in two seconds if i didn't know HT has one planned. (might anyway) And no mods needed for me i like it stock!

If UU comes out with Ben or Emperor forget it i will cave.

Tee-Kay
03-17-2013, 03:17 PM
UU are not my thing. I'm having a hard time accepting their face sculpts. More like a manga rendition of the character than anything else.

TheFiend
03-17-2013, 03:20 PM
What mods need to be done to the UU Han anyway. Kinda tired of buying figure just to have to buy other stuff to make them look good.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

OSCORP
03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
None! It's all preference.

TheFiend
03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I get that but what about this switching out the body thing. Is the UU in scale? Plus I'd rather have a Bespin Han so I'd have to hunt down an SS vest or just buy the figure. Does the vest work with the UU?

Rorywan
03-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I get that but what about this switching out the body thing. Is the UU in scale? Plus I'd rather have a Bespin Han so I'd have to hunt down an SS vest or just buy the figure. Does the vest work with the UU?

The UU is in pretty perfect scale, just that the body it comes with is too skinny looking, I put mine over onto a new HT skinny TT mixed with regular legs and it looks great, and yes the Bespin vest looks great on him.
Mixing the SS accessories with the UU gives you a really good Solo, best we have seen so far.
:yess:

Darth Mangler
03-17-2013, 04:53 PM
I really like the Han sculpt. I just am not crazy about the hair.

SwedishHeat
03-17-2013, 09:09 PM
At $300, the UU figures aren't going to be anyone's saving grace.

Ray, didn't you say you got it at wholesale price?? I mean, you probably wouldn't even have purchased it had it not been on discount. If every figure I bought cost $50 less than I had paid for it, I'd think each one was pretty damn good.

OSCORP
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Only 300$ as at SSC!

Amiami.com FTW!

Raymond F.
03-17-2013, 10:35 PM
At $300, the UU figures aren't going to be anyone's saving grace.

Ray, didn't you say you got it at wholesale price?? I mean, you probably wouldn't even have purchased it had it not been on discount. If every figure I bought cost $50 less than I had paid for it, I'd think each one was pretty damn good.

I did get a break yup and there's NO way I'm defending the price at all, but after having it and making the Han have now I'd be pretty hard pressed to want to let it go for even 300.

The AmiAmi price I think is a fair compromise, after having it and being happy with it and seeing what they are offering for it I'd grab it in a second now.

VintijDroidGutzz
03-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Medi prices are not so inflated over seas. I will never buy a UU or MEDI fig from SS. I just bought Vader for 208$ shipped from amiami. And the UU Han is 240$ shipped, (still kinda high) I think it's SS doing the price hikes. That's over 100 dollars difference. (ami's 3po and r2 are also well under 200$ shipped)
True actually..

Our local Aussie distributors have them available for stupidly high prices.

I noticed HLJ has / had a Medi sale, & those prices were alright.

swsqueakquels
03-18-2013, 12:59 AM

VintijDroidGutzz
03-18-2013, 01:05 AM
One obvious thing is the bottom lip.

HT over exaggerated it with the Indy, but the UU Han's is slightly the opposite - it needs filling out a tad. The scowl is a little much too, they could've done a 'stern yet focused' expression, instead of angry. :huh

lerath666
03-18-2013, 11:10 AM
nose... looks too straight to me?

could just be the angle

Pixelpiper
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
The overall vibe - shape of face/hair/forehead - feels there, but something about his eyes and mouth seems off.

Shape of the face is too round.
Shape of the hair too wide.
Paint app on lips makes them look too small, bottom and top.
Hair line too high.
Brow line is wrong - too low for natural face position (almost a frown).
Eyebrows are the wrong shape and size.
Eyes are the wrong color.
Eye socket wrong shape.
Eyelids lack detail.

This isn't a headsculpt I'd expect on a $300 figure. The coat, seen on the full figure, also looks like it's somewhat poorly painted, though this may have more to do with proto images - is the final the same?

VintijDroidGutzz
03-20-2013, 09:36 AM
What it is, is them ushering HT into the room to top them. :lol

Rorywan
03-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Shape of the face is too round.
Shape of the hair too wide.
Paint app on lips makes them look too small, bottom and top.
Hair line too high.
Brow line is wrong - too low for natural face position (almost a frown).
Eyebrows are the wrong shape and size.
Eyes are the wrong color.
Eye socket wrong shape.
Eyelids lack detail.

This isn't a headsculpt I'd expect on a $300 figure. The coat, seen on the full figure, also looks like it's somewhat poorly painted, though this may have more to do with proto images - is the final the same?
:lol
nitpick all you want...but it's still the first commercially released 1/6th sculpt that actually looks like Ford.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/rorywan/1-97_zps701ee16c.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/rorywan/1-97_zpsdfd1725c.jpg

Pixelpiper
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Those are MUCH better photos that the previous. It definitely looks like him, no doubt about that. But it's got this mask quality to it. Like someone wearing someone else's face. ;)

With regards to Hot Toys, I think they're probably producing SW products as frequently as they can given the situation in terms of licensing and economics. They're working with Sideshow for the licensing. And they're producing a very wide assortment of other licensed non-SW products which, by all accounts, have more traction at the moment. You can see just where they believe the dollars will be spent when you compare the number of Iron Man products to everything else.

lerath666
03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
With paint, I agree.

Though, Trevor Grove made teh first scultp that actualy looks like ford... it was simply ruined by crappy paint.

AWESOME use of shadows BTW.

kl241
03-21-2013, 03:39 PM
:lol
nitpick all you want...but it's still the first commercially released 1/6th sculpt that actually looks like Ford.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/rorywan/1-97_zps701ee16c.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/rorywan/1-97_zpsdfd1725c.jpg

Shame they couldn't sculpt the hair right.

Pixelpiper
03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
The more I look at this, the more I'm convinced that despite its facial faults, the sculpt would be improved tremendously with different hair. In large part it's the hair that makes the face look, as I mentioned before, sort of a like a mask.

Rorywan
03-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Shame they couldn't sculpt the hair right.

I don't think anyone is saying its a perfect sculpt. But it is a very good sculpt. Best commercially released, and leagues ahead of HT's regardless of the big hair.

Raymond F.
03-21-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't think anyone is saying its a perfect sculpt. But it is a very good sculpt. Best commercially released, and leagues ahead of HT's regardless of the big hair.

Totally agree with everything said there! The hair definitely is the weak point of this sculpt it's too round and big. But the hair is off in the same way Luke's face is off and I still love both sculpts. People ***** because of the price. I get it it DOES sting and I completely blame medicom, but it's a damn fine Han Solo available right now whereas in 2015 we will get a HT Han who has a bad track record of Harrison Ford sculpts already and it's going to be from ANH Which I love personally because I loved that look and it's also different than the ROTJ version we got here which can pretty convincingly double as ESB.

generalgrevious
03-22-2013, 06:10 AM
hey they all said the same thing about the ht luke bespin they all complained about the hair. sounds like the same thing all over again with han.i like it and I cant wait to mess around with him and swap him over to the body I have ready for him. but to each his own I guess

onethousandmasks
03-22-2013, 11:30 AM

What do you mean?

darthviper107
03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
I think they should be releasing more SW Hot Toys figures, 1 a year is too low, I think the market can easily take more than that. The question is what they actually want to do with it--the types of characters Sideshow has done with the line isn't reasonable, so we don't need as many as that, but there really should be more.

Pixelpiper
03-22-2013, 03:06 PM
There are still plenty of HT Bespin Luke DX figures available and it's been out for "a long long time." I can see only two figures that might sell as well or better. 1. Darth Vader, 2. Stormtrooper. There's something to be said about Bespin Luke's double figure DX treatment and therefore equally high price tag, but the way HT has been going, any figure they release will be over $180 SRP.

punisher1974
03-23-2013, 01:30 AM
The UU Han Solo looks great but the angry expression isn't my favorite. I am tempted to pick one up though. I would put the Bespin jacket on him though since Empire is my Star Wars movie. I wish Hot Toys decided to go with Empire Han with either a snow outfit or a carbonite block or maybe the torture device they strapped Han in. So many options for them to go with.

Raymond F.
03-23-2013, 10:51 AM
The UU Han Solo looks great but the angry expression isn't my favorite. I am tempted to pick one up though. I would put the Bespin jacket on him though since Empire is my Star Wars movie. I wish Hot Toys decided to go with Empire Han with either a snow outfit or a carbonite block or maybe the torture device they strapped Han in. So many options for them to go with.

It's true Han would have so many great DX options,

Think about a Bespin Han DX, it opens the doors a lot more than ANH DX because other than the Stormtrooper belt there's not a lot you could include with ANH Han.

But ESb would be perfect, he could come with the torture device and shackles or a full carbonite version though I do know that sideshow did that already. They could also give him goth gear but I suppose they could have also done that with Luke, but I liked the weather vein alternate as well not sure if I'd prefer that over snow speeder or hoth alternates, all would have been cool.

Rorywan
03-23-2013, 04:01 PM

I agree the angry expression is just weird. When I opened it at first I was like WTF? But thing is, posed properly its pretty much the only decent Ford sculpt out there, as Ray says, of a level of quality that is 2013.

swsqueakquels
03-24-2013, 03:03 AM

punisher1974
03-24-2013, 02:37 PM
:rotfl

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m27tbbZ3VL1rqevd2o1_500.jpg

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:goodpost:

OSCORP
03-27-2013, 07:18 AM
No surprise here and I don't care, ill take what hot toys gives me and when, never expected more but they won't fill in the collection the way they need to by themselves. Sideshows human figures are now officially demoted, they don't cut it anymore. Even the great ones like old Ben. Luke has made them all obsolete.

UU may be third place but that's only because sideshow has the ability to deliver more creatures and armoured figures at a faster rate. Which ill gladly take but truth be told i have most lf what i need now anyway (vader boba stormtrooper) But I'll never buy a human from them again, no matter who repaints it, the humans have to be at Luke's level.

Pretty much agree. If UU does Old Ben, gonna cave on that for sure. Amiami FTW! [email protected]'s UU prices.

Fan
05-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Imo, most of the characters on this poster are essential basics for a III - VI trilogy Star Wars collection,
think there is a lot of potential for future releases, this would be my order of priotity:

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/940878_640946729253624_1217893537_n.jpg
Source: https://www.facebook.com/TolerantPeople?hc_location=timeline

Darth Vader
A lot of potentilal for a Hot Toys DX figure for example and I think / hope the DX07 Luke's exclusive helmet was a clear statement into this direction. :yess:
Now that the Medicom 2.0 is almost sold out, it would even make more sense!

Luke Skywalker
DX07: check!

C-3PO & R2-D2
Finally a set of these two in accurate 1/6 scale would be great, maybe with a little weathering.
Looking at Hot Toys's Iron Man figures, the droids shouldn't be a problem for them as well.

Stormtroopers (at least two)
Think one Stormtrooper alone is always a little displaced, but still better than no Stormtrooper, as in my collection. :(
Prices for previous releases are very high on the aftermarket and I think there would be quite a demand.
Also a lot of potential for a DX here, maybe a version like the Kotobukiya version with the Luke Skywalker head would be possible. :dunno

Princess Leia
Nothing more to say about than: Has there ever been an accurate Leia figure?
The headsculpt would be a great challange for Hot Toys imo, too!

Han Solo
Think the Ultimate Unison / Enterbay version looks better on the in hand photos than on the product photos but still a lot of potential.
Ford's head seems difficult to be scuplted so I'm curious to see the

Chewbacca
Artificial hair fur like on some custom creation in this thread: http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14144
would be an instant buy.

Yoda
Think Sideshow's is fine already.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Also sold out in 1/6, new improved releases would make sense, too.

Think when the new Star Wars movies are teased, it'll become an intersting time.
Ther'll be figures of the new movies for sure, just hope that this will also bring some new focus on the epic "old" Star Wars saga, too.

punisher1974
05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Empire is my favorite Star Wars movie. I would like a Vader with the reactor room window to go with Luke. A Han Solo with the torture rack or carbonite block. Leia in the red dress with the alternate white bespin outfit. Chewbacca with dismantled C-3PO. A C-#PO and R2-D2 set and Lando with alternate Han Solo outfit from the end of the movie.

Fan
05-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Empire is my favorite Star Wars movie. I would like a Vader with the reactor room window to go with Luke. A Han Solo with the torture rack or carbonite block. Leia in the red dress with the alternate white bespin outfit. Chewbacca with dismantled C-3PO. A C-#PO and R2-D2 set and Lando with alternate Han Solo outfit from the end of the movie.

That would all be great, too!
Espespially the Chewy, like this one, right?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070523020642/swmerchandise/images/0/09/Chewbacca_and_c3po.jpg
Source: http://swmerchandise.wikia.com/wiki/Saga_Collection_Chewbacca_with_Electronic_C-3PO

VintijDroidGutzz
05-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Pirate; have you not seen the new Tamashii C-3PO?? He's covered now. :exactly:

They're also doing an R2. :yess:

The SSC Yoda isn't great.. sorry, not a fan. The Medicom Yoda is a better representation for my money.

Totally agree on Vader though - he definitely needs the HT DX treatment.

lerath666
05-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Imo, most of the characters on this poster are essential basics for a III - VI trilogy Star Wars collection,
think there is a lot of potential for future releases, this would be my order of priotity:

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/940878_640946729253624_1217893537_n.jpg

Darth Vader
A lot of potentilal for a Hot Toys DX figure for example and I think / hope the DX07 Luke's exclusive helmet was a clear statement into this direction. :yess:

Luke Skywalker

C-3PO & R2-D2
Finally a set of these two in accurate 1/6 scale would be great, maybe with a little weathering.
Looking at Hot Toys's Iron Man figures, the droids shouldn't be a problem for them as well.

Think one Stormtrooper alone is always a little displaced, but still better than no Stormtrooper, as in my collection. :(
Prices for previous releases are very high on the aftermarket and I think there would be quite a demand.
Also a lot of potential for a DX here, maybe a version like the Kotobukiya version with the Luke Skywalker head would be possible. :dunno

Princess Leia

Han Solo
Think the Ultimate Unison / Enterbay version looks better on the in hand photos than on the product photos but still a lot of potential.

Chewbacca
Artificial hair fur like on some custom creation in this thread: http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14144
would be an instant buy.

Yoda

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Think when the new Star Wars movies are teased, it'll become an intersting time.
Ther'll be figures of the new movies for sure, just hope that this will also bring some new focus on the epic "old" Star Wars saga, too.

Some comments.

The only thing that really makes a DX, a DX, is a bigger box, and moveable eyes, as well as a DIO base.

Not sure Vader really needs moveable eyes. a " large" regular release would be sufficent... HOWEVER, I think Hot toys stated that ALL SW releases they do will be DX pieces, so who knows.

on the note of hot toys Star wars, there are Limitations.

Those limitations are that they can only do figures sideshow has ALREADY released, or has no intention of Doing ANY time soon.

It is also believed that sideshow holds "veto" power over any release Hot toys wants to do, to cover " secret releases" they might have planed. ( Think SDCC, or SWC exclusives)

The SSC Yoda isn't great.. sorry, not a fan. The Medicom Yoda is a better representation for my money.

He did say ACCURATE versions of 3P0.

I kid, i kid.

I would like to see Hot toys take a stab a them, regardless. Tamishii 3P0 is nice, but ultimately too heavy for my glass shelves.

As for R2, hasn't he ALREADY been shown, and is TERRIBLY underscaled? Hope they fix that, as awesome a job as they did on 3P0, I'd love to see them do a properly scaled R2 to partner with him.

VintijDroidGutzz
05-10-2013, 11:25 AM

I kid, i kid.

I would like to see Hot toys take a stab a them, regardless. Tamishii 3P0 is nice, but ultimately too heavy for my glass shelves.

As for R2, hasn't he ALREADY been shown, and is TERRIBLY underscaled? Hope they fix that, as awesome a job as they did on 3P0, I'd love to see them do a properly scaled R2 to partner with him.
You better be kidding. :tap :lol

Of course - R2's a WIP, but I bet the bugs get ironed out fine.. after all, they have a scholar on board don't they? :lol

punisher1974
05-10-2013, 12:53 PM

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070523020642/swmerchandise/images/0/09/Chewbacca_and_c3po.jpg
Source: http://swmerchandise.wikia.com/wiki/Saga_Collection_Chewbacca_with_Electronic_C-3PO

Yep just like that one. It would make for a great figure set

Fan
05-10-2013, 06:49 PM

Saw the Tamashii and I think it looks great but even though it's probably worth it's money due to the metal die-cast I don't know yet if I would spend the extra money if there might be an accurate 1/6 version made of plastic for about minus $150 one day.

Didn't know they are also bringing an R2 as well - are there any previews out already?

When I got my Joda I was torn between both :blissy but finally decided for Sideshow's. Imo both have their advantages in accuracy so it's as usual different in the eye of each collector :1-1:.

Fan
05-10-2013, 06:50 PM

Some comments.

The only thing that really makes a DX, a DX, is a bigger box, and moveable eyes, as well as a DIO base.

Not sure Vader really needs moveable eyes. a " large" regular release would be sufficent... HOWEVER, I think Hot toys stated that ALL SW releases they do will be DX pieces, so who knows.

Think you're right, Vader wouldn't really need movable eyes for most of the collectors displaying him with the helmet but I wouldn't be surprised if he still get's moveable eyes under it. :lol

on the note of hot toys Star wars, there are Limitations.

Those limitations are that they can only do figures sideshow has ALREADY released, or has no intention of Doing ANY time soon.

It is also believed that sideshow holds "veto" power over any release Hot toys wants to do, to cover " secret releases" they might have planed. ( Think SDCC, or SWC exclusives)

Not so sure about that, from what I read here:

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150361992987492

They just announced this way of fairness but I think they don't have to.
If we really see a DX Han Solo this year while Sideshow's is still available, I think this speaks another language.

I kid, i kid.

:lol Well, that's another aspect I have to take into consideration now. :hi5:

Think that's one of the most important aspects, how the both look in relation. Think Medicom's were not to bad but seeing how undersized R2 is was really sad.

You better be kidding. :tap :lol

Of course - R2's a WIP, but I bet the bugs get ironed out fine.. after all, they have a scholar on board don't they? :lol

Let's hope so! :hi5:

Yep just like that one. It would make for a great figure set

Indeed! If it doesn't come like this, great custom to be done!

punisher1974
05-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I really would like for hot toys to be able to get out one figure a year. I know they have Anakin announced and Han Solo but it would be nice to know both were out before the next movie hit theaters.

lerath666
05-11-2013, 01:44 PM
In response to Pirate.

There is another interview with Howard from somewhere where he says exactly what I posted above. No idea where exactly it is, but There is a link to it somewhere in the Luke thread.

It does confirm they're dx only in that one thought, neet to see that confirmed at least. We do know from sideshow that its a sub-lease from them to hot toys, and can be revoked by them at any time.

Also also, Howard already told us that they would follow an OT, PT, OT, PT release schedule.

Also also also, they told us the next two are going to be Anakin some time next year, with Han released the year after Anakin, and then Padme the year after Han.

What Han Solo from sideshow are you talking about? I was unaware they had one for sale currently?

onethousandmasks
05-11-2013, 02:28 PM
In response to Pirate.

There is another interview with Howard from somewhere where he says exactly what I posted above. No idea where exactly it is, but There is a link to it somewhere in the Luke thread.

It does confirm they're dx only in that one thought, neet to see that confirmed at least. We do know from sideshow that its a sub-lease from them to hot toys, and can be revoked by them at any time.

Also also, Howard already told us that they would follow an OT, PT, OT, PT release schedule.

Also also also, they told us the next two are going to be Anakin some time next year, with Han released the year after Anakin, and then Padme the year after Han.

What Han Solo from sideshow are you talking about? I was unaware they had one for sale currently?

He probably means the Medi/Rah ROTJ one.

RyanSD
05-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I really like the headsculpt on that new Med/EB Han in that new pic, but the hair is so terrible, it ruins the figure for me. Also, it seems that these UU figures are being released at the same pace as Hot Toys is releasing theirs.

Hydeous
05-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Darth Vader

Luke Skywalker

C-3PO & R2-D2

Princess Leia

Han Solo

Chewbacca
would be an instant buy.

Yoda

Obi-Wan Kenobi

I agree. With the exception of Grand moff Tarkin

Fan
05-12-2013, 07:03 AM
In response to Pirate.

He probably means the Medi/Rah ROTJ one.

Okay now I got this better and you're right, somehow confounded that and thought the recent Sulo was by Sideshow :slap.

I agree. With the exception of Grand moff Tarkin

Grand Moff Tarkin - not on my list, too. :hi5:

Raymond F.
05-12-2013, 07:28 AM
I agree that poster has most of the key guys but keep in mind it's still missing some major players like Yoda and Lando.

I consider them main characters very much so. Stormtrooper also, I know it's not one guy per say, but as an icon of Star Wars I'd say its damn important.

But me personally, I definitely think key secondary characters are worthy of a tight core Star Wars collection. This includes Tarkin, Boba Fett and maybe Wedge.

But I'm happy with my modded offerings of vader, Fett and Stormtrooper from sideshow.

My main list of what's left for now includes Leia (ANH, ESB Bespin and ROTJ, lets say Slave) Obi Wan, Luke (ANH and Jedi), Han (ANH), Yoda (though my modded Medicom I could also live with), Lando (let's not go deeper than Bespin, it's just overkill) Chewbacca (I enjoy the non slicked Chewie a bit better) and R2 (but he's coming so we can scratch him off the list)

RyanSD
05-12-2013, 10:20 AM
I agree with that list, but I'd also like to see a Skiff Disguise Lando, although since he has his face covered, Sideshow could probably do it just as well. I also think the basic Stormtrooper is in dire need of a 2.0.

I'd also like R2 and 3PO that don't cost $400 a piece, but I might just settle for the medicoms. And I can never have too many Cantina or Jabba aliens.

karamazov80
05-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I think all the truly "core" Star Wars characters appeared in A New Hope, with the exception of Yoda. This includes Storm Troopers, because they are so iconic, and Vader can't stand alone. Emperor may be included in that list, but maybe not. Lando is a strong second tier character to my eyes. As is Tarkin, Boba Fett, Jaba, and, sadly, Ewoks. I don't like Ewoks, but you can't argue that they weren't incredibly important to the 3rd film. I would say Wedge is about on par with Ackbar.

darthkostis
05-12-2013, 02:27 PM
I'd still like to see a Jedi knight Luke. I don't like the bespin look that much but I'm gonna buy it because that may be the best Luke we ever get (at least for the next 10 years or so). I'm pretty happy with sideshow non-human characters (in suits or aliens) actually. Sure, the ht versions would be better but they're good enough for me. My most wanted fig right now is a Leia dx. Hoth and Slave versions.

Hydeous
05-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Yoda, yes.

Don't think Lando is a key character for me.

lerath666
05-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Sebastian shaw Anakin is the only core character. Everyone else is D list.

Wor-Gar
05-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Not counting Lando is racist.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/list/000/042/151/jnjyxa31o8_thats_racist_animated1.gifhttp://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/list/000/157/122/f.gif

Smudger9
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
So, still no HT Anakin Preview. I can only assume that they're now planning a SDCC reveal. If there's no SDCC reveal, that will be over 2 years since we first saw HT Luke, which screams line cancellation to me. Fingers crossed for SDCC.

MidnightClad
05-12-2013, 11:14 PM

A chewie with a 3P0 like that would be purchased in a heartbeat by me if it had real fur. I am not a huge fan of chewie and 3P0 but a figure like that just brings back such great memories from the movie I would not be able to pass on it.

lerath666
05-13-2013, 06:28 PM
So, still no HT Anakin Preview. I can only assume that they're now planning a SDCC reveal. If there's no SDCC reveal, that will be over 2 years since we first saw HT Luke, which screams line cancellation to me. Fingers crossed for SDCC.

this.. made me laugh..... so..very...hard....

Raymond F.
05-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Look even if its sort of absurd to think that the HT SW line would be canceled its pretty appalling to think that they are now a year behind on their supposed plan to release one figure per year. Especially with 57 iron mans this year.

Hydeous
05-13-2013, 08:05 PM
It might that SS decides that they wanna produce it after all, since it would mean more profit than to just distribute HT SW stuffs.

lerath666
05-13-2013, 08:22 PM
strike while iron is hot, yadda yadda.

hot toys is SSSLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOW at anything that is not current.

sithlord13
05-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Look even if its sort of absurd to think that the HT SW line would be canceled its pretty appalling to think that they are now a year behind on their supposed plan to release one figure per year. Especially with 57 iron mans this year.

Totally agree. one a year is hardly stellar. I'm glad I stayed strong on the iron man thing as I would have ended up with a room full of the same figure (sort of)

And even if they po it soon when will it arrive?

Raymond F.
05-14-2013, 05:56 AM
It's true the one a year thing was complete bS. It was too slow In the first place but since they are not keeping on track it's downright disappointing now.

I have and only will have one iron man. It's all ill ever need. The thing is I think they are in for a rude awakening here, i know they sold well in the past but this is pure over saturation of the market.

I'm not saying its not sort of releving not to have to buy so many figures at the moment but with Star Wars I can't afford to wait so long in between figures and have to put up with prequal releases in the middle, as much as I plan to buy a few of those too I want OT. I'm afraid they will never reach the characters I want at this rate, which is also why I started this thread to state Enterbay can help flush out my collection.

It's also why I don't want to see hot toys do figures like vader or stormtroopers. Not that they would not be better than sideshows efforts but with a few mods and upgrades most sideshow non humans fit the bill. Their humans are embarrassing though this is what Hot Toys needs to help on.

Rorywan
05-14-2013, 06:49 AM
It's true the one a year thing was complete bS. It was too slow In the first place but since they are not keeping on track it's downright disappointing now.

I have and only will have one iron man. It's all ill ever need. The thing is I think they are in for a rude awakening here, i know they sold well in the past but this is pure over saturation of the market.

I'm not saying its not sort of releving not to have to buy so many figures at the moment but with Star Wars I can't afford to wait so long in between figures and have to put up with prequal releases in the middle, as much as I plan to buy a few of those too I want OT. I'm afraid they will never reach the characters I want at this rate, which is also why I started this thread to state Enterbay can help flush out my collection.

It's also why I don't want to see hot toys do figures like vader or stormtroopers. Not that they would not be better than sideshows efforts but with a few mods and upgrades most sideshow non humans fit the bill. Their humans are embarrassing though this is what Hot Toys needs to help on.

Agreed 100%.

And regarding Iron Man, I have no issue with the movies, the figures, the fans... but it is a very dangerous game to flood the market like this for short term gain. They are losing customers interest in all their other lines. Soon all they will have left are the many variations of whatever Marvel movies lie ahead.

For example: Prometheus, when they ever actually get around to releasing their Shaw figure (only one I would imagine) it's sales will have been hugely impacted by the ridiculous delay. People just lose interest after a while. Thats a financial lose right there, and the killing of a potential series of figures, for what? Iron Man mark XXXVVIIIXX.2 ? Which probably won't come out itself until Avengers 2 is already being promoted? Crazy...

VintijDroidGutzz
05-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Yeah.. it's hard to not become cynical. :lol

They seem to be going about things really bizarrely.

That said, there may very well likely be a large demand for the Iron Man stuff in the Asian market - plus the possibility that they're trying to target a younger demographic that have money to spend, seeing places like China are now becoming one of the biggest & fastest growing economies in the world.

Food for thought..

Pixelpiper
05-14-2013, 09:06 AM
If Prometheus featured predominantly red and gold costuming, figures would more than likely already have been released. Just saying. ;)

Raymond F.
05-14-2013, 09:21 AM
If Prometheus featured predominantly red and gold costuming, figures would more than likely already have been released. Just saying. ;)

No kidding!

But yup its totally right about totally missing the boat on popularity look what happened with Avatar, that thing still sits on the shelf at my LCS. Had it come out around the time the DVD was releasing i bet it would be sold out now.

With First Class, if Xavier ever comes out Days of the Future Past will be out, that's not an exaggeration actually either, the movie is close to release date. And hell that IS a Marvel movie too!

VintijDroidGutzz
05-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Just saying. ;)
Yeah.. so is the rest of the forum. :huh :lol