Hot Toys, you're my only hope... No there is another... UU!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond F.

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about the thread title. Couldn't resist :D

Ok guys the reality is this Hot Toys figures are always gonna be great, but the one a year thing and prequel injections (I don't hate the prequels at all I just place them way lower on the priority list) over the course of 4 or 5 years and two core characters from the original trilogy is not enough to make me believe in my lifetime and interest level ill build the collection of Star Wars that I deem up to calibre with the rest of my collection. Thankfully UU is out there sneaking good releases in, and sideshow can take care of the less human characters just fine after theirs releases are modded and upgraded.

People might ***** about the price but the reality is even though I only spent 50 bucks less than Luke and had to do upgrades, I have a Han on my shelf that's up to calibre with my Luke, and since HT might not get to Han until 2014(more like 15) hell I'll take it.

Sure their Farmboy Luke was pretty brutal but doubters of the Han release just wonder over to the thread below on this forum for the sleeper hit that was Han, it sports the best Harrison Ford likeness done in this scale bar none and some fantastically tailored clothes.

What's the next logical progression for UU? They did Luke and Han, Medicom can handle the vaders, bobas, royal guards etc without enterbays help so its all in the human releases. I'm hoping to see a Leia from them but its unlikely we've not seen much in the way of females from either Enterbay or Medicom, my theory is that if the next figure is not something from the prequels it will be something like Old Ben.

This isn't aimed at you Directly, just a general comment on the groundswell of your particular point of view.

what i don't get is the suprise.

Howard chan TOLD US AT THE BEGENNING that there would be AT MOST 1-2 figures a year. so Hot toys hitting delays, and dropping it to 1 SW figure a year... possibly every other year, should come as no suprise to anyone.

and given the climbing pricetag that these figures are going to be demanding, if it was any MORE often than once a year, i'd end up skipping them.

why not just enjoy what you have, instead of being Veruka?

Sideshow's 1/6 output has dropped considerably, so it's probably safe to assume many collectors would be wiling to buy multiple Hot Toys figures each year.

I agree with you to a point lerath. It's not a huge surprise at the slow rate HT has been going, but 1-2 a year as first announced is a big leap to the reality of 1 every 2 years.

However I don't think UU has really stepped up to the plate. Their figures are still way overprice when they first hit the market, they're super low on accessories, and their scale and bodies are still an issue (although that's debatable). Their Han was a pleasant surprise, especially the sculpt, but it required some significant modding to get it to a good level. I'd still place UU at third place behind HT and Sideshow.

No surprise here and I don't care, ill take what hot toys gives me and when, never expected more but they won't fill in the collection the way they need to by themselves. Sideshows human figures are now officially demoted, they don't cut it anymore. Even the great ones like old Ben. Luke has made them all obsolete.

UU may be third place but that's only because sideshow has the ability to deliver more creatures and armoured figures at a faster rate. Which ill gladly take but truth be told i have most lf what i need now anyway (vader boba stormtrooper) But I'll never buy a human from them again, no matter who repaints it, the humans have to be at Luke's level.

Well I'm very happy to have the ability to buy Enterbay level Star Wars head sculpts. I'm still waiting to see what Sideshows quality is like on Epidode 1 Obi-Wan but my expectations are not so high.

So currently if we are talking human sculpts its just HT and UU.
And quality wise Enterbay beat HT most of the time with headsculpts.
For everything else HT wins hands down, but it's great we have another company also producing Star Wars. Medicom get a lot of hate, but they have produced some sterling figures on their own over the last few years. R2, R5, 3po, amazing Spidey etc..

Thanks to UU, I now have a very high quality Solo standing next to my HT Luke and Bandai 3p0.

I don't think people would appreciate super high end figures enough, if they got released every five minutes. They'd still be demanding more - or complaining that they can't keep up & are going broke... or call them passe. :lol

I LIKE the fact that the GOOD ones take time to manifest; it not only encourages one to enjoy what one already has (as mentioned), but it keeps things fresh & interesting, discussing possible future releases & all their potential goodness. :)

I don't think people would appreciate super high end figures enough, if they got released every five minutes. They'd still be demanding more - or complaining that they can't keep up & are going broke... or call them passe. :lol

I LIKE the fact that the GOOD ones take time to manifest; it not only encourages one to enjoy what one already has (as mentioned), but it keeps things fresh & interesting, discussing possible future releases & all their potential goodness. :)

For me though I dont need an endless supply of 12 inch Star Wars figures. That's what my 33/4 inch collection is for. So I can have ships and Jabbas six boobed dancer and the guy that sells death sticks and whatever else.

It stops at core at 1/6 for me and now there's just too much not up to speed, waiting 5 years to add core characters like obi wan to the mix is not cool with me. At this rate I only need a few.

I would get one, maybe two tops versions of the core characters, the most peripheral I'd get for characters in Star Wars 1/6 is Boba Fett and Stormtrooper and they are only considered majors to us because of what they mean to us but in actuality they are pretty secondary.

I'm fine with the bandai droids, modded darth vader, storm troopers and Boba on a tT, but it would be nice to stand a quality Liea, a couple more Luke's, Hans, obi wan, yoda, Lando and emporrer and of course Chewie there and call it a day.

And as far as prequels go its a little more complicated, I could actually live without any of them but in actuality I'd be satisfied with Anakin and obi EP3, Padme EP2, Qui Gon, Maul, Dooku and Maybe Grevious, one major clone trooper and maybe just maybe Mace and Jango.

The UUs have not really impressed me to date and they are overpriced IMO. And unfortunately, it looks like HT is going to be pretty bogged down with Iron Man and Superman releases this year and into the next, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for Star Wars beyond. At this point I'd just be happy to see Anakin and/or Han protos.
I really don't know what the heck is going on with Sideshow's 1:6 releases, but it probably has mostly to do with milking the clones and trying to cash in on LSFs. Right now there are only two 1:6 Star Wars pre-orders in the queue, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Malgus show up in the next few weeks. I'm hoping by the time ComicCon rolls around SS will have a bunch of new 1:6 and a couple of key PFs up their sleeves, including Grievous, new Vader, and some decent females.
I don't collect Medis, had a couple and sold them. So unless some other company picks up the license the only other alternative is going to be customizers and short runs.

It stops at core at 1/6 for me and now there's just too much not up to speed, waiting 5 years to add core characters like obi wan to the mix is not cool with me. At this rate I only need a few.
Yeah, don't get me wrong - agreed. I only want a modest number of core & peripheral characters too, & waiting forever for that isn't ideal.

The thing is, who's to say that HT's implied release schedule is set in stone anyway? Sure, common sense would suggest that because of everything else they've announced or are planning, that SW is on the back burner.. but they're always shuffling things around behind the scenes - I can almost bet.

Marvel's time in the sun isn't endless, & other licenses may get priority over others at the drop of a hat without seemingly any rhyme or reason to it - that's how HT roll sometimes as we've seen.

Me personally? I'm not going to worry about early sketchy release info. I'm just going to enjoy what I've got & see what happens. :)

UU really impressed me with their young Jodie Foster sculpt... then someone told me it wasn't Jodie Foster. :monkey2

MEH, UU and HTs, Side Show is the King of Star Wars.:nana:

The others don't measure up due to lack of likeness (Jodie-***-boy, don't like teh new Han (sorry fan-boys) and HTs has only released 1 (yup one) figure from SW.:nana:

the UU Han really is a fantastic figure, with Rays suggestion, putting it on a Blitzway body makes it perfect (with some adjustments one can even use the sideshow jacket and have a great bespin Han)

It really is a shame its gone seemigly unnoticed by most star wars collectors here, maybe it is because the UU Luke was such a fail and had such a huge price tag that no one gave Han a chance, but I promise, if your a SW 1/6 collector, its an absolute no brainer buy!

MEH, UU and HTs, Side Show is the King of Star Wars.:nana:

The others don't measure up due to lack of likeness (Jodie-***-boy, don't like teh new Han (sorry fan-boys) and HTs has only released 1 (yup one) figure from SW.:nana:

Sideshow have been doing a reasonably good job with non human characters, but haven't released a decent production version of a human character to date.

Assuming you're completely discounting the GI joe line?

They are definitely the best SS has done but they are not at HT or EB level IMO, by a long shot. That's not to knock them, but they are just not in the same league.

Yup, Sideshow have a lot riding on Obi-wan. I hope it's a knock out.

Granted, Hot toys have been doing a freakish amount of detail in some of their sculpts, right down to skin texture.

though, some of their newer ones have been lacking too.
then again, at 300$ per figure, they SHOULD be.

But MEH, we'll see what SS brings to the table with Young Ben in a few weeks :D

At the very least, I'm expecting superior to medicon detail.

How's the UU han hold up in comparison to hot toys detail BTW?

Granted, Hot toys have been doing a freakish amount of detail in some of their sculpts, right down to skin texture.

though, some of their newer ones have been lacking too.
then again, at 300$ per figure, they SHOULD be.

But MEH, we'll see what SS brings to the table with Young Ben in a few weeks :D

At the very least, I'm expecting superior to medicon detail.

How's the UU han hold up in comparison to hot toys detail BTW?

The UU Solo head is amazing detail wise. I've believed of a long time now that Enterbay are the leaders when it comes to head sculpts and paint apps. Most of their sculpts make HT look pretty basic.

Back