Questions from a new Buffy fan.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookeylama

Super Freak
Reaction score
i've just been getting into the show since i started working different hours and have been watching it at 7 AM on FX. seen a tiny bit of Hush, all the Dark Willow saga, and just finished w/ the Caleb/First/ destroying of Hellmouth. was that the end of the series? Anya, and Spike dead??

how long did the series run and what year did it end?

any good site for sources and info on the series? thanks

Welcome to the Hellmouth, Mookeylama!

Yes, the destruction of the Hellmouth, Anya's death and Spike's sacrifice, all occured in the series' final episode, "Chosen." Buffy the Vampire Slayer debuted on the WB on March 10, 1997, and bowed-out on UPN on May 20, 2003, after seven seasons of some of the best television ever produced.

Resources for more info:

Overview: Wikipedia.org

Episode guides: BuffyGuide.com

Trivia: The Buffy and Angel Trivia Guide

Trailers, transcripts, episode summaries, screencaps: BuffyWorld.com

Episode transcripts: TwizTv.com

Screencaps: ScreencapParadise.com

Critical studies: Slayage.tv

All things Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Serentity-related: Whedonesque.com

Edit: Since you're watching on FX, here's a link to FxNetworks.com. Click on Shows>Buffy The Vampire Slayer for broadcast schedules, episode guides, and behind-the-scenes video bites.

The series' premiere episode, "Welcome to the Hellmouth" airs tomorrow, 9/20. The show is a bit tentative as the writers and actors search for their voices but, as The ObsoleteMan stated, below, the series comes into its own, big time, in Season 2 with the episode "Surprise."

pb.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, you have to be patient with season one, because it's not as good as what comes next. Except for a couple of really good episodes such as the series finale and "Angel", the rest are just filler low-budget episodes with a really cheap look in props and sets and "immature" stories that could've been part of "Are you afraid of the dark?". It sounds bad when I put it this way, don't get me wrong, I still like season one, but I'm not blinded by my love for all things Buffy. Anyway, in the first season, the characters, which is the most important element in Buffy, are already well developed and the dialogues are already witty. I mean, it's not the best Buffy, but it's still Buffy, with all the good stuff that means.

For me, Buffy in its entire excellence starts in season 3.

Season 1 rates behind season 2 (pure brilliance) and season 3 (fantastic) for me. I'd call it excellent. I'd call season 4 average, season 5 above average, and seasons 6 and 7 "they should have stopped at 5". :cool:

WELCOME TO MY WORLD, MOOKEYLAMA!!! You need to buy or rent the DVD's and start from the beginning!. It's a shame you got in on the end, in season 7.

I've been a fan since day one, have all the dvd's and ALL the Sideshow figures, either in house or on pre-order. Welcome, welcome!!......You'll get "bitten" (Mwaahaha!) by the Buff! :D :lol We need more support for the Buffy and Angel lines!

olvidadero said:
the rest are just filler low-budget episodes with a really cheap look in props and sets and "immature" stories that could've been part of "Are you afraid of the dark?". .

exactly. that's what kept me away from Buffy for so long. just seemed a bit juvenile for my tastes (no offense to anyone). funny thing was that my 65 year old mother in law has been a Buffy fan since day 1.

anyway, thanks everyone and BIG thanks to Frankenfan for those links. looks like FX is starting the series over from the very beginning. i must say i wasn't happy w/ that series finale at all tho.

Though the first season dealt with the Master's rise, the dual-arc serialized format truly begin with "Surprise." Season one and the first six episodes of season two relied heavily, and sometimes awkwardly, on Whedon's metaphor of "High school as Hell," and were basically spins on classic and modern horror idioms like witches, giant insects, demonic possession, crazed ventriloquist dummies, etc., mixed in with a healthy dose of teenage angst.

The show was quite low-budget — it was, after all, a mid-season entry on the fledgling WB network — and the juxtaposition of the show's signature mix of humor, drama, horror, had not yet gelled. I think it's interesting to watch the early episodes to see the evolution of the origins and intent of the show. This, of course, is best experienced by watching all seven seasons and then starting over from the beginning but, what I'm trying to say in my usual belabored way, is give the show a chance to grow — and grow on you.

Mookeylama said:
...BIG thanks...for those links.
lnshrk3ob.jpg

One of the most amazing things I have heard about Buffy is Joss Whedon saying in an interview that he made sure he wrapped up season one assuming that there would never be another season. Go figure. :lol

There should be a *major spoilers* tag in the first post's title. Just trying to protect future fans...

Man.. I just got done watching the first season.. and I'm sad it's over.. Joss's stories are the best!!!

I'm glad I ordered the PF Buffy!!

:D
.necromancer. said:
Man.. I just got done watching the first season.. and I'm sad it's over.. Joss's stories are the best!!!

I'm glad I ordered the PF Buffy!!

Plus its one of the weaker seasons. Watch season2 and tell us what ya think.:D garantee they will be times to be had.

We just finished Season 5.
What an interesting season, so much going on and thriller ending.

Now we are watching Angel Season 2 and it too is getting addicting.

BDboystoys said:
:D

Plus its one of the weaker seasons. Watch season2 and tell us what ya think.:D garantee they will be times to be had.

Yeah...I don't know what you think BD, but, for me Season 2 of Buffy, is not only the best season of Buffy produced...but, the best season of a TV series ever made!

darth dyp**** said:
Yeah...I don't know what you think BD, but, for me Season 2 of Buffy, is not only the best season of Buffy produced...but, the best season of a TV series ever made!

I couldn't agree more with this statement!! I just watched Passion.. and man.. I'm all choked up! Here's hoping for a PF Angel for my PF Buffy to square off against!!!!

darth dyp**** said:

Completely agree.:D

Oh I'll take season 5 any day. I thought that was one beautifully planned out season with some fantastic moments.

'The Gift' was absolutly heart rending.

Season 5 had a few outstanding episodes. "The Body" and "The Gift" specifically, but season 2 kills it as a whole, IMO. Season 2 is when Buffy reached its peak, with episodes like "Surprise" and "Innocence", "Passion" and the best two hours of tv ever - "The Becoming".

It's all about season 2 for me.

Two words for which Joss is a god/genius...character development. That's why it's best to start from the beginning.

Back