iS PAX discontinued?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
then how do I choose different doors?

I ve got pax but the smaller dimensions , 1 mter long 58 deep and 2.36 tall, as i dont have space for bigger. As with the doors u need to make some changes as none of the doors have clear glass, so u will need to remove the stock glass and put clear glass. I have to admit that PAX has more space to put more statues. The thing is that the shelfs cannot hold too much weight and they tend to bend a bit, unless again u do some custom made so the can take the extra weihgt

Put a strip of wood on edge glued to the bottom of each shelf, a few inches wide. You'll be making a sort of "T" support. That will help (prevent) bending/flex.

Put a strip of wood on edge glued to the bottom of each shelf, a few inches wide. You'll be making a sort of "T" support. That will help (prevent) bending/flex.

I got the picture.Thnks man i really apprecciate:)

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm still a bit confused. If I were to buy a PAX without the glass doors since they're discontinued, can the other doors still have the ability to hold acrylic? Basically can you swap the wood panels for glass/acrylic? Or is the other doors 1 solid piece?

If I were to buy a PAX without the glass doors since they're discontinued, can the other doors still have the ability to hold acrylic? Basically can you swap the wood panels for glass/acrylic?

You can modify virtually all Pax doors, even the solid ones if you're handy. The paneled ones can have their panels knocked out and replaced. And they still make a number of glass doors, you just can't see through any of them because they're frosted. Even for these you can however insert your own glass. But it's somewhat wasteful considering the glass is the most expensive part of the original purchase.

Check the AS-IS section for doors, especially if you're going to be hacking them.

You can modify virtually all Pax doors, even the solid ones if you're handy. The paneled ones can have their panels knocked out and replaced. And they still make a number of glass doors, you just can't see through any of them because they're frosted. Even for these you can however insert your own glass. But it's somewhat wasteful considering the glass is the most expensive part of the original purchase.

Check the AS-IS section for doors, especially if you're going to be hacking them.

My problem is all I see for sale is PAX with doors, none are windowed just solid. Are there any without doors compltely? So I could just do what you said and buy them seperately. I'm not too handy sadly. I just want to make sure the thing has a frame to hold the acrylic. I know all glass on these is frosted but I have to make sure whatever I buy can hold the custom acrylic.

I've never seen or been to an Ikea and realize their stuff is like legos but I just keep getting confused on what to buy. I live a ways away and don't have a vehicle to pick it up so shipping is a must and don't want to screw it up.

BTW , thank you for trying to help. Alot of people were giving me greif when I was trying to figure this out.

Last edited:
Pax is always sold without doors. What you're seeing (with doors) is a combination. When you go to a store you can buy pre-determined combinations (you still have to grab all the individual parts yourself) or you can make your own combinations or buy specific parts, including the cabinet frames.

PAX is the primary bedroom organization system/line at Ikea. Here's a link to the system pages: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/19086/

You can see there are tabs for combinations as well as all the available parts, including frames.

You MIGHT be able to buy the Vikedal mirror door, which is now the lowest priced option, and then replace the mirror with clear glass: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49811710/ Since I can't see details on the site I can't tell you if it's possible. If the mirror slips into a frame then it's easy. If the mirror IS the door and is itself drilled for hinges, then it's not and you might as well just get glass and add hinges to that yourself in the same way.

You should also be able to replace the panels in the Bergsbo doors: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79867729/

You can also look at their sliding doors and frames - higher prices, but you can definitely add your own glass in place of Ikea's into the door frames.

Last edited:
My problem is all I see for sale is PAX with doors, none are windowed just solid. Are there any without doors compltely? So I could just do what you said and buy them seperately. I'm not too handy sadly. I just want to make sure the thing has a frame to hold the acrylic. I know all glass on these is frosted but I have to make sure whatever I buy can hold the custom acrylic.

I've never seen or been to an Ikea and realize their stuff is like legos but I just keep getting confused on what to buy. I live a ways away and don't have a vehicle to pick it up so shipping is a must and don't want to screw it up.

BTW , thank you for trying to help. Alot of people were giving me greif when I was trying to figure this out.

What size PAX are you thinking of buying?

Back