Lit Figures Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Passenger

Super Freak
Reaction score
I got a strip LED kit for my detolfs. While lit, they look great but I'm a little leery to leave them on all the time, I'm afraid the light exposure will damage the custom figure paint. I know a lot of painters disclaim they don't use commercial paint and the paint may rub and I'm wondering if long term light exposure will have any effect. Can anyone attest to this?

Thanks.

LED practically has no heat, I want to enjoy looking at my figures so the first thing I do when I get home from work is turn on my LEDs and I leave them on til the its time to work the next morning.
On weekends, I don't even turn them off, I leave them on all weekend and my figures are fine.
Just make sure you're using LEDs and you should be fine.

:exactly::goodpost: LEDs also don't give off UV rays so your paint will be fine :)
LED practically has no heat, I want to enjoy looking at my figures so the first thing I do when I get home from work is turn on my LEDs and I leave them on til the its time to work the next morning.
On weekends, I don't even turn them off, I leave them on all weekend and my figures are fine.
Just make sure you're using LEDs and you should be fine.

Put them on a timer. Just because LEDs use less energy than other lighting doesn't mean you should keep them on when there's no one around to look at them. If you want to get fancy put a motion sensor in the room to turn them on/off too. That would up the wow factor too. :)

Also, some of the transformers for the LED strips consume more power than the LEDs themselves, so a timer that switches off your AC supply is best of all. And to achieve a dramatic look you can also use less lighting - partial strips. I'm all about good looking displays and energy conservation was number number 2 goal in my own setup.

If your room has windows you should also consider some UV film on them. This is what will kill all paint and plastics over time. Non-stabilized pigments and polymers can suffer in very little time too.

Back