Which Star Wars Books (other than novels) do you own?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthChrisDK

The Blueberry Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Recently, it dawned to me, the entire universe that lay undiscovered by me. The world of Star Wars art books, encyclopedias, making-of, and much more.

I have only taken my very first, humble steps on this huge plateau of literature that is endlessly rich on art, photos, funny and/or interesting facts.

In this thread, I wish to share with you, the books that I have come to know - the ones that I have in my collection. I hope you will find this interesting and hopefully it will inspire those of you that haven’t delved into this universe

Star Wars Art: Visions

51evR6%2Bm9zL._SX300_.jpg

Hardcover: 176 pages
Publisher: Abrams (November 1, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0810995891
ISBN-13: 978-0810995895
Product Dimensions: 12.5 x 0.9 x 10.5 inches

Description:
When Star Wars debuted in 1977, it revolutionized mainstream American filmmaking, transporting fans to new galaxies and introducing them to countless now-classic characters, aliens, planets, and starships. In the decades since, the Star Wars Saga has become a phenomenon impacting cultures across the globe.

Just as George Lucas drew upon the work of N. C. Wyeth and Norman Rockwell for his own visual inspiration, he has now invited more than 100 well-known and promising artists to draw upon the entire Star Wars galaxy for inspiration. Star Wars: Visions collects these magnificent artworks for the first time. Featuring pieces by renowned artists such as Amano, Allan R. Banks, Harley Brown, Gary Carter, James Christensen, Michael Coleman, Kinuko Craft, Jim Dietz, Phillipe Druillet, Donato Giancola, Ann Hanson, H. R. Giger, Daniel Greene, Ron Kleeman, Arantzazu Martinez, Syd Mead, Moebius, Paul Oxborough, Alex Ross, Anthony J. Ryder, Dolfi Stoki, William Stout, Dan Thompson, Julie Bell and Boris Vallejo, Scott Waddell, and Jamie Wyeth, Star Wars: Visions is a breakthrough tribute to the worldwide inspiration that is Star Wars.

My thoughts
This isn't your typical art book. It's not just concept art that portray scenes or vistas from the movies, novels or comic books. No, instead, this is an art book that gathers various artists’ style and imagination in one brilliant tome. What you’ll find here is both unique and surreal. The different artists and their take on various segments of the Star Wars universe is both enchanting and seductive. The art styles and inspirations that are represented in this book are derived from many different time periods. This means that you will find everything from oil on canvas to collages. It is truly a breathtaking journey to scroll through this magnificent book, and it might not be a book that everyone will be able to appreciate. If you enjoy art (in any degree) this book might very well offer hours of entertainment. It is also a good way to discover new artists.

Star Wars Art: Comics

51X609Oo1mL._SY300_.jpg

Hardcover: 180 pages
Publisher: Abrams (October 1, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1419700766
ISBN-13: 978-1419700767
Product Dimensions: 10.5 x 1 x 12.5 inches

Description
Star Wars and sequential art share a long history: Star Wars debuted on the comic-book page in 1977, when Marvel Comics began publishing a six-part adaptation of the first film, which morphed into a monthly comic book. Now, more than three decades later, new series by Dark Horse Comics continue to expand the Star Wars galaxy.

The second book in the Star Wars Art series, Star Wars Art: Comics brings together the very best artwork from the entire history of Star Wars comics publishing, showcasing original art from the top comics artists working in the industry. Hand-selected and curated by George Lucas, the art featured in this volume includes interior pages and fully painted covers from artists such as Al Williamson, Howard Chaykin, Adam Hughes, Bill Sienkiewicz, Dave Dorman, and many more—as well as new work created exclusively for this book by over 20 renowned artists, including John Cassaday, Sam Kieth, Mike Mignola, Paul Pope, Frank Quitely, Jim Steranko, and other comics superstars. Star Wars Art: Comics is a tribute to sequential storytelling, a worthy and justly celebrated art form.

My thoughts
I’ve always loved comics, and I have always acknowledged the comic format as a true art form. Some people still struggle with this today - their loss.
This book offers a very varied and engaging collection of some of the most impressive and detailed drawings from popular Star Wars comics. When going through this book you are constantly reminded that there is so much stuff out there, and in my case, so much stuff that I have yet to read and enjoy. The artwork is very different in style and technique. You’ll find paintings, line-art and watercolors. I enjoyed Visions, and I enjoyed this book just as much, if not even more.

Star Wars: The Art of Dave Dorman

516ZTQ9F9DL._SY300_.jpg

Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Welcome Rain Publishers (March 1999)
ISBN-10: 1566490197
ISBN-13: 978-1566490191
Product Dimensions: 10.9 x 9 x 0.4 inches

Description
Dave Dorman's art has graced the covers of Star Wars comic books, paperbacks, and CDs, and has appeared on trading cards and even toy packages. This book contains the most complete record of one artist's catalog of work based on his favorite subject... Star Wars!

My thoughts
Dave Dorman is definitely one of my favorite artists when it comes to Star Wars paintings. His accuracy can sometimes be up and down, but generally, his style and precision is incredibly detailed and beautifully executed. This books offers a long range of cover art that he has done for comics and other media. He carefully explains some of his own thoughts when creating these paintings, and the reader is presented with early drafts and so forth, all the way up to the final piece. This is a very interesting read, and if you read some of the Star Wars comics years back, I’m sure you’ll recognise a lot of the paintings in this book.

The Illustrated Star Wars Universe

illustratedSWuniverse.jpg

Hardcover: 208 pages
Publisher: Bantam Spectra (December 1995)
ISBN-10: 0553093029
ISBN-13: 9780553093025
Product Dimensions: 11.4 x 9,4 x 0,7 inches

Description
Experience the Star Wars universe as you never have before in this stunning visual journey that carries you to the farthest reaches - and into the deepest mysteries - of George Lucas's cinematic masterpiece. Ralph McQuarrie, the legendary main concept artist for all three
Star Wars films, and Kevin J. Anderson, the New York Times bestselling Star Wars author, present the ultimate voyage: a vivid and close-up look at the exotic worlds and remarkable inhabitants of the Star Wars universe, including two dozen paintings by McQuarrie, commissioned especially for these pages.

My thoughts
There would never be a Star Wars as we know it, were it not for Ralph McQuarrie. This fantastic book takes us through many of the known locations from the Star Wars universe and shows us some of the greatest concept art ever created for a science fiction tale. The pictures are accompanied by a (not so important) story by Kevin J. Anderson. It all fits well together in a journey through the landscape of Star Wars. This book, in its hardcover version, is rather hard to find these days. I had to order it from a comic store in the US. I think they had one left. It’s a brilliant book and you best prepare for a deeply nostalgic journey.

-

This was a little about me. I'm going to allow myself to reserve the next post for any future investments. In the mean time, I'd love to know if anyone else out there share this love for these fantastic books. Be it making-of, art, encyclopedias etc. Share your knowledge and love!

Wish list:

Star Wars Art: Illustration (ISBN-13: 978-1419704307)

The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film

The Making of The Empire Strikes Back: The Definitive Story Behind the Film

I stopped getting them after Episode III. That's how much Episode III turned me off everything Star Wars. However, I will get the Making of Return of the Jedi. The book you want to get is probably Star Wars Chronicles. I have it in a box somewhere around here. It's all classic original trilogy stuff.

The Making Of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind The Original Film
The Making Of The Empire Strikes Back
The Making Of Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith
Star Wars Art: Visions
Star Wars Art: Illustrations
Sculpting A Galaxy: Inside The Star Wars Model Shop - Limited Edition
The Star Wars Vault
Star Wars: The Jedi Path -A Manual For Students Of The Force (Vault Edition)

Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide....Awesome Book!

Back