Geoff Johns is leaving Green Lantern!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalbelo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Today is a sad day :*( Geoff Johns announced that he is leaving Green Lantern series at issue #20 of new 52. He is one of my favorite writers. It seems like anything he touches, he brings it back to life or makes it that much better. Once Geoff was on GL, GL became one of my favorite super heroes, Im hoping that GL doesnt become a nobody again. The new writer has not been announced yet. But just some support for books he has made awesom:

Green Lantern - Since he started it (~10 years ago) it has been epic!
Aquaman New 52 - since he started writing this, Aquaman is no longer a nobody!
The Flash - Since he LEFT the Flash, it sucks again!
Batman Earth One - Scott Snyder has no problem with Batman but the Earth One graphic novel is an awesome book for people new to batman

This man has the midas touch! Just wondering what everyones thoughts on him leaving GL is.

It might happen after awhile, but it is defintley still sad to see! I thought what he did with GL was great and hope whoever the new writer is will be just as good!

Yeah, but when you have a write that is just awesome, why change it? I get it, but I dont like it in this specific case. Who would you recommend to take his place? There are not too many DC writers that I would like to see do it if Johns has to go. The only ones I can think of is Snyder or Lemire; but Snyder I think is too dark and his style just isnt right for Hal. Lemire I think would be decent but I dont know if he can be comical enough. His writing is very emotional. If I can choose ANYONE, maybe Bendis or even Fraction. But I think both of them are dedicated to Marvel so that wont happen. If they give it to Morrison though, Im going to be sooooo pissed. Hes the only one I know that is coming off of somthing (Action Comics) and I dont know where he is going. Hopefully to somthing I dont read because his Action run has SUCKED since early on. Started good, then plummeted, like a speeding bullet, pun intended.

Yeah, but when you have a write that is just awesome, why change it? I get it, but I dont like it in this specific case. Who would you recommend to take his place? There are not too many DC writers that I would like to see do it if Johns has to go. The only ones I can think of is Snyder or Lemire; but Snyder I think is too dark and his style just isnt right for Hal. Lemire I think would be decent but I dont know if he can be comical enough. His writing is very emotional. If I can choose ANYONE, maybe Bendis or even Fraction. But I think both of them are dedicated to Marvel so that wont happen. If they give it to Morrison though, Im going to be sooooo pissed. Hes the only one I know that is coming off of somthing (Action Comics) and I dont know where he is going. Hopefully to somthing I dont read because his Action run has SUCKED since early on. Started good, then plummeted, like a speeding bullet, pun intended.

Honestly I would like to see Snyder take a shot at it. Yes he is very dark, but I love his style. Maybe he could do something different with Hal. I wouldn't mind seeing a darker Green Lantern. Sadly I don't think they will give him a chance even if he wanted it.

Yeah, I think Snyder would do an awesome Parallax. Snyder is one of my favorite writers. Snyder has too many books right now, hes doing Superman here shortly, plus The Wake, and Batman. If he squeezes more than that in, his quality of work may degrade for the sake of time.

Yeah, I think Snyder would do an awesome Parallax. Snyder is one of my favorite writers. Snyder has too many books right now, hes doing Superman here shortly, plus The Wake, and Batman. If he squeezes more than that in, his quality of work may degrade for the sake of time.

I'm going to have to give his Superman a shot. Superman is one of my least favorite super heroes, but with Snyder writing him I might just like it. Have you read American Vampire or Severed? If you haven't check them out they are easily Snyders best.

Also heres a article from CBR talking about some good choices to replace Johns https://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43704

Yup, I have collected American Vampire since #1! Its definately a great read! I have not read severed, but I am aware of it. I will pick it up one day. Anything by Scott Snyder is worth a shot. I have too many other comic series I am trying to finish right now before I start a new one. I subscribe to quite a bit of titles, so no time to squeeze any more in right now.

Yup, I have collected American Vampire since #1! Its definately a great read! I have not read severed, but I am aware of it. I will pick it up one day. Anything by Scott Snyder is worth a shot. I have too many other comic series I am trying to finish right now before I start a new one. I subscribe to quite a bit of titles, so no time to squeeze any more in right now.

Yeah Snyder is the best. When you get a chance defintley check out Severed. One of the greatest horror comics I have read.

Quite frankly, I'd like it if Geoff Johns just left DC comics.

*awaiting flame replies* :lol.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just want to know what everyone hates about him. Ive read on other forums plenty of people that dislike him but I have never seen why people dislike him. Is his work too compressed? Too decompressed? Too hard to understand? Im just trying to look at it from their side.

Good for him! He's been writing that book forever. It must feel extremely freeing to be unshackled from it. I haven't read it, so I don't know if the quality has been consistent to this day, but if he doesn't have the passion for the character or he feels like he's taken it as far as he can, then the best decision for everyone is him leaving the book.

As for the hate, I think it comes with success. You get fans worshipping his work, probably deluding themselves into thinking it's better than it actually is, and then you have the perfect recipe for an overrated reputation.

I've read his Batman Earth One and I can honestly say he's a good writer, just overrated.

I didnt really think about it from that point of view, him taken it as far as he can that is. His Green Lantern run has been very consistent and awesome in my opinion. I think highly of him as a writer not from just reading one of his titles, runs, or series. I always read with an open mind and Im always in search of new writers that are great, I am not biased to any 1 writer. With Johns, I have read several different titles and series in years past and it just seems that all of his work is well done. Im not saying hes never done anything bad, but I personally have not read anything bad of his. There are a number of writers that I enjoy just as much as Johns such as Snyder, Lemire, Bendis, Fraction, Waid, Ennis, and many more. Johns just did a good job consistently on a title that I have enjoyed because of him. So it sucks to see him go.

Back