Frank miller...where the hell is he? Dark knight returns BR related

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
He is the guy that arguably revolutionized comics when he wrote and illustrated the dark knight returns. He took a character that, for an entire generation, would always associate him with biff pow and zap and made him dark, serious, dangerous...and real. His work had incredible influence on both Tim burton and Chris Nolan when they both made their respective batman films...more so for the latter. Casual movie goers have no idea who frank miller is, but without a doubt, felt his influence in the batman films, especially with nolans grand trilogy.

So now, the animated two part dark knight returns is complete, garnering positive reviews from fans of film and fans of comics. There are those that have issues with it, but no one can deny its quality.

What I want to know is...why is he no where to be seen? Snce batman begins, frank has been bought up Time and time again. There was even an extra on the year one animated movie that was dedicated to the man...it was a mini bio documentary for crying out loud!

So what happened here? Did he sleep with the wife of one of the higher ups at DC? Did he accidentally run over dan didios cat? Why does it feel like DC wants to sweep frank millers involvement under the rug, but can't? so they mention him whenever, but won't allow him anywhere near a making of featurette or a mic during interviews for the very thing he created.

I mean, I was listening to a panel discussion with the talent behind the dark knight returns, moderated by Kevin smith...THE talent responsible for all was missing.

So please guys, enlighten me here. Just what the hell happened?

You didn't read his sequel to the Dark Knight returns, did you? That was some weak follow up material....maybe he's ashamed of that (and rightly so)

Uh... he was writer on All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder.

Frank was in his prime in the late 80's. TDKReturns, Batman Year One and his six issue "Born Again" run on Daredevil is how I choose to remember him. I was never a Sin City fan. It's not my thing.

There's nothing I can say about TDK Strikes Again or All-Star Goddamn Batman and Robin that hasn't already been said a million times.

Robert Rodriguez now has Frank fooled into thinking he can direct films.

When I was in high school we used to have discussions about who was better - Alan Moore or Frank Miller. I think that argument is finally settled.

I always found frank miller to be massively over rated. Batman year one and the dark knight returns are absolutely fantastic and two of my favourite batman books, both stunning pieces of work. But other than that I've not liked his work. Tried reading all star batman and robin, thought it was terrible. Read about the first 5 or 6 issues and just thought it was dreadful writing, especially the dialogue. The spirit movie was even worse, some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard. I never read dark knight strikes again as I heard such bad things about it I never wanted to bother.

Alan moore on the other hand, I've loved everything of his I've read. His swamp thing run especially is fantastic.

@Russell - All of Frank's essential stuff was published during 1986 and '87. During this time he did The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, DD:Born Again, DD: Love and War GN, and Electra:Assassin.

His collaborations with Sienkiewicz are interesting but not for everyone.

Apart from select Sin City stories you can skip everything Miller's done after '87.

I've never read sin city but I did enjoy the film. I also heard his daredevil born again as really good. Wasn't that with David mazzuchelli as well? I do think miller has done some good stuff, I just think it seems to only be a handful of stories.

I've never read sin city but I did enjoy the film. I also heard his daredevil born again as really good. Wasn't that with David mazzuchelli as well?

Correct, it was Miller w/ Mazzucchelli's art. It's much closer to Year One in tone and style. There's not all of the media and social satire. It's well worth a read.

I do think miller has done some good stuff, I just think it seems to only be a handful of stories.

Yep. I can only recommend what I mentioned earlier.

He wrote (barely) Hard Boiled around '90 but that was remarkable for Geof Darrow's art. I was never a fan of Give Me Liberty. Sin City has fans, I'll let them defend it, I don't care.

Cool, I may check out born again. I've never read any daredevil but am aware of the character, mainly from the Spider-Man animated series, but sounds like it could be a good read.

so no one here knows about the racist comic he made (Frank Miller's "Holy Terror")
and the rants he made about Occupy?

Frank Miller slams Occupy Wall Street, becomes a parody of himself:

Everybody's been too damn polite about this nonsense:

The "Occupy" movement, whether displaying itself on Wall Street or in the streets of Oakland (which has, with unspeakable cowardice, embraced it) is anything but an exercise of our blessed First Amendment.

"Occupy" is nothing but a pack of louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob, fed by Woodstock-era nostalgia and putrid false righteousness. These clowns can do nothing but harm America.

"Occupy" is nothing short of a clumsy, poorly-expressed attempt at anarchy, to the extent that the "movement" – HAH! Some "movement", except if the word "bowel" is attached - is anything more than an ugly fashion statement by a bunch of iPhone, iPad wielding spoiled brats who should stop getting in the way of working people and find jobs for themselves.

This is no popular uprising. This is garbage. And goodness knows they're spewing their garbage – both politically and physically – every which way they can find.

Wake up, pond scum. America is at war against a ruthless enemy.

Maybe, between bouts of self-pity and all the other tasty tidbits of narcissism you've been served up in your sheltered, comfy little worlds, you've heard terms like al-Qaeda and Islamicism.

And this enemy of mine - not of yours, apparently - must be getting a dark chuckle, if not an outright horselaugh - out of your vain, childish, self-destructive spectacle.

In the name of decency, go home to your parents, you losers. Go back to your mommas' basements and play with your Lords Of Warcraft.

Or better yet, enlist for the real thing. Maybe our military could whip some of you into shape.

They might not let you babies keep your iPhones, though. Try to soldier on.

Schmucks.

FM

so no one here knows about the racist comic he made (Frank Miller's "Holy Terror")
and the rants he made about Occupy?

Frank Miller slams Occupy Wall Street, becomes a parody of himself:

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Maybe he'll coauthor something with Card next.

Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.

The goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail. The goal is to discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place, and, when they nevertheless proceed in their homosexual behavior, to encourage them to do so discreetly, so as not to shake the confidence of the community in the polity’s ability to provide rules for safe, stable, dependable marriage and family relationships.

-Orson Scott Card, 1990, Sunstone magazine.

And here Card is, more recently in the Mormon Times, railing against the "insane" American Constitution because he doesn't like it when everyone has the right to marry their soulmate.

If America becomes a place where our children are taken from us by law and forced to attend schools where they are taught that cohabitation is as good as marriage, that motherhood doesn’t require a husband or father, and that homosexuality is as valid a choice as heterosexuality for their future lives, then why in the world should married people continue to accept the authority of such a government?

What these dictator-judges do not seem to understand is that their authority extends only as far as people choose to obey them.

How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

Biological imperatives trump laws. American government cannot fight against marriage and hope to endure. If the Constitution is defined in such a way as to destroy the privileged position of marriage, it is that insane Constitution, not marriage, that will die.

Last edited:
Back