How high are you?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoboFatt

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster, lifelong collector.

I’m hoping some of you might be able to help me out with the next phase of my collection. My ultimate goal is to make a mini museum. I have many acrylic cases on display. I'm planning on making some custom pedestals to display different pieces of my collection on help give it that museum look. I'm trying to determine the right height to make the pedestals. I’ve searched the interwebs, but there isn’t much info on the subject.

Most websites give a generic answer - look at the piece and try to determine the best viewing angle. Well, I’m 5’10”. I plan on having “visitors” check out my collection and unless everyone is 5’10” that best viewing angle answer won’t work for me. I did find one other answer. The Smithsonian guidelines for accessible exhibition design state the base of a displayed item should not be higher than 36”, but that seems low to me. Granted they considering a height that is also viewable by someone in a wheel chair.

So, does anyone have info on the best “universal” height for an item on a display pedestal.?

BTW – here is the Smithsonian link - https://accessible.si.edu/pdf/Smithsonian Guidelines for accessible design.pdf

Thanks!

And bobo goes back to lurking....

Well, after almost a week of nothing but drive by rubber neckers, look at this...a barrage of replies. I was hoping the title would draw some attention to my question. Guess that worked. I was also hoping to get some responses that were actually useful. Guess that didn't work. Thanks guys. :slap

Well, after almost a week of nothing but drive by rubber neckers, look at this...a barrage of replies. I was hoping the title would draw some attention to my question. Guess that worked. I was also hoping to get some responses that were actually useful. Guess that didn't work. Thanks guys. :slap

to help you out,

you would probably want the pedestals to have the pieces at just around eye level.

Average height for a person is 5'10", which you are.

I personally would just have it a couple inches lower, that way people can see the pieces from every angle (top and around).

to help you out,

you would probably want the pedestals to have the pieces at just around eye level.

Average height for a person is 5'10", which you are.

I personally would just have it a couple inches lower, that way people can see the pieces from every angle (top and around).

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have pedestals that size in your collection?

Seems a tad high to me (have fun with that one gentleman). As you mentioned, I'd want to be able to view the items from the top. Some of the items are pretty wide, so it'd have to be a lot lower than eye level to view all of the top details. After some consideration, I actually think the 36" suggestion in the Smithsonian is a pretty good height. I'm going to do some tests with that height in mind.

Commence with the pics of psychedelia and herbal essence... or actual suggestions if you have any. :peace

If you really want to get serious about this stuff - and geez, I mean, far out - then you need to get hold of anthropometric data relating to display and exhibition design. You know, standing heights for 5th, 50th and 95th percentile males and females, lines of sight, angles of view, etc. Don't forget that proper ergonomic exhibition design should also consider environmental factors such as optimal room temperature, air circulation and lighting and acoustic levels.

I'm trained in all that hoo-hah but the way I did my display - and the way I put together any art shows I curate - is generally to hoe into a choice brownie and eyeball what looks good.

Yeh, my first gig was in exhibition design. Wasn't really my thing, I enjoyed the styling aspect but there was loads of stuff I found tedious - standards compliance, OH&S, ergonomics. Nowadays I only curate the odd art show at the university gallery, which basically equates to moving plinths around and building a bespoke display system here and there. OP is way over thinking this :lol

I've never given it any more thought than what looks good to me, but I respect his ambition.

As you pointed out, he could really overthink it if he put his mind to it.

Try harder BoboFatt. We're not impressed yet. :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have pedestals that size in your collection?

Seems a tad high to me (have fun with that one gentleman). As you mentioned, I'd want to be able to view the items from the top. Some of the items are pretty wide, so it'd have to be a lot lower than eye level to view all of the top details. After some consideration, I actually think the 36" suggestion in the Smithsonian is a pretty good height. I'm going to do some tests with that height in mind.

Commence with the pics of psychedelia and herbal essence... or actual suggestions if you have any. :peace

I don't have any pedestals, but I have my tumbler in a case in my room

IMG_5827.jpg

The shelves are 33" high, which brings the tumbler to nice height for viewing

OP is way over thinking this :lol

Possible. I like to plan ahead to avoid issues down the road. I also want my display to have a quality look to it, not just satisfactory. I've seen a ton of collections displayed...from mediocre to impressive. One thing's for sure, when I'm done I will achieve the look I'm going for.

I don't have any pedestals, but I have my tumbler in a case in my room

The shelves are 33" high, which brings the tumbler to nice height for viewing

Pretty close to the 3' I'm looking to do.

BTW, why is Satan so prevalent around here? :monkey3

BTW, why is Satan so prevalent around here? :monkey3

They are just cries for help that went unheard for too long...

That being said...

Bad is good... didnja know?

This is an interesting subject to me because the bottom 2 shelves on my Detolfs are next to unusable to me. When standing or entering a room, obviously the top shelf is the most appealing and where all my fav's go... but when I'm sitting the second shelf is perfect.

If I had to do this all over again, I would find a counter like area, store all the boxes and accessories under the counter, and have fish tanks's converted into display cases with specialty lighting!

Detolfs are heavy and I'd say more than 3 characters per shelf and your over saturating it... So F'k m... Empty room with figures displayed from the waste up...

anybody got a hundred grand I can borrow?

I love how this thread has morphed. It might not be that informative, but it sure as heck is entertaining.

Back