TVs.. to fix or buy new?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creature4000

Super Freak
Reaction score
Every discussion online seems to be 50/50 as to fix a TV or buy new (sense prices are coming down)

I have a Samsung plasma 50" that the hdmi ports went bad on. TV is 4 years old and I tried different devices and nothing works. Tried a softeware update and nothing. Which leaves me to either get a repair man or buy a new TV and move this one to the bedroom (where I don't need it to play anything but cable) The TV works fine otherwise.

Part of my dilema is the price of current TVs.
There are some great deals right now.

The next part is getting a repair man to tell me a price. Everything I have read seems to make me think it's a main board issue which will run me close to $200 in parts. Just to get a guy to come out and look at the TV will cost me $100. That will be included in the overall charge if I use them to reapir the TV. Since I can't get a quote until I dedicate them to come out to see whats wrong leeds me to think it will be at least another $100.

Enough rambling.

Has anyone had this delema?

thanks!

Buy a new one. It will have more and better features (that will prolly break too lulz ) and be a better value instead of some 4 year old repaired one.

call Samsung repair from their website and see what happens.. I recently had my tv go out, 51 inch plasma, past warranty, and for whatever reason they replaced it for free. good luck.

I agree, buy new. Are there any repair places by you that will buy TVs they know they can refurbish? Probably wouldn't get much, but you could put whatever it is towards the cost of a new one.

Buy a new one. It will have more and better features (that will prolly break too lulz ) and be a better value instead of some 4 year old repaired one.

:goodpost:

Smart guy right here since I agree with every word he said.

Why spend money to fix a TV that already has wear on the plasma screen that will eventually burn out when you can have a new one with an even longer service life than the one you currently have? Who knows what part of your TV will need repairing or replacing next? Better to start fresh with a new, better, more reliable, and probably more energy efficient TV. You may well save money by buying a new one in the long run.
I have a DLP, and am very satisfied with it. When you buy a new bulb for it, it's like getting a new TV.

You may have had the Plasma display panel for 4 years, but were you getting heavy use out of it? In other words, think about approximately how many hours you think it's been in use. I ask because, if it's still producing very good brightness and you're happy with the picture quality (PQ), then repair it.

After all, the damaged/defective piece has nothing to do with producing a picture (i.e. dead pixel, blue push, etc.). It's an HDMI port you're having problems with. It might be fairly cheap to have it repaired.

On the other hand, some newer, relatively inexpensive units by Samsung and Vizio are producing bright and sharp images and may have an even better PQ than your older unit, have newer features (usb port, built-in networking), produce less heat, and use less energy.

Before deciding, take a look at what's out there, that's within your budget.

Buy a new one.

I had a Samsung Plasma that did the same thing. I needed to replace the HDMI board and it was sold out everywhere. It would have cost me more for the parts alone than buying a new TV.

EDIT: Also the component still worked (red,blue,green) so I sold the TV for $100 to a friend who just used that connection for HD instead of the HDMI.

Buy new.

I had a 5 year old plasma go out this summer. Thought I had a nice tv till I bought a brand new 55" plasma and was thankful my old one died. Difference in quality and new features was astounding.

Go new, if its out of warranty, prices have come down alot, the tv tuner on my Bravia went( not bothered as I play tv through the ps3) Sony want $650 to fix and I can get a bigger tv of lesser brand for that which will last just as long

I had a plasma suffer a power surge. HDMI ports did not work. I replaced the "board" myself and it worked. I bought it at shopjimmy.com. Probably cost $150 tops. Actually had to do it for 2 TVs. Lightning Storm fried them.

I would try and fix the old TV. You can still buy new and have both. My old TV is up there with newer models. The difference isn't a "must buy" between new and old. And putting a new board in is pretty simple.

I had a plasma suffer a power surge. HDMI ports did not work. I replaced the "board" myself and it worked. I bought it at shopjimmy.com. Probably cost $150 tops. Actually had to do it for 2 TVs. Lightning Storm fried them.

I would try and fix the old TV. You can still buy new and have both. My old TV is up there with newer models. The difference isn't a "must buy" between new and old. And putting a new board in is pretty simple.

did you have a surge protector for your tv when the lightning storm happened?

My Toshiba Cinema Series tube (32") still is running. I would only buy a flat screen and hang it on my wall to free up real estate. 13 years and nothing is wrong with her... damn tubes were built better than these new fangled flat panels. hehe

My Toshiba Cinema Series tube (32") still is running. I would only buy a flat screen and hang it on my wall to free up real estate. 13 years and nothing is wrong with her... damn tubes were built better than these new fangled flat panels. hehe

haha, and weigh like 100x as much.

Damn straight...I have a 42" tube that works as well as the day I bought it around the same time fram as the one you bought.

haha, and weigh like 100x as much.

No problem. For the decreased hassle and expense...it is easily worth it.

I have a Sony tube that is 33 years old and still works great. It puts out a lot of EMF and it its bad for your eyes, however. The new Plasmas, LCDs, LEDs and projections are nowhere near as bad for your eyes.
(200 milligaus for the 1980 Sony. 40 milligaus for the 2003 Sony..)
The tubes last the longest, but the DLPs are a close second, other than buying a new bulb every couple of years. A 2002 Sony flat screen tube was dead after 8 years.

Last edited:
Back