PDA

View Full Version : Anakin Skywalker 12" action figure review

Michael Crawford
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't get to review really bad figures very often - even mass market stuff has improved in quality over the years. However, that doesn't mean the awful crap doesn't still slip through. Tonight I'm checking out the latest 12" Anakin Skywalker from Hasbro - I'm warning you, it's ugly.

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

Matt S
01-27-2013, 08:41 PM
man, ugly figure...........

jedibear
01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
What is the point of that figure? What a complete miss there, Hasbro....

Khev
01-27-2013, 08:59 PM
What is the point of that figure?

To expand people's Gentle Giant Jumbo Kenner figures into the prequel trilogy at a reasonable price.

IrishJedi
01-27-2013, 09:28 PM
But other than the scale and being plastic they don't at all fit together.

Plus, the entire point of the GG line is having 12" versions of the vintage figures we had as kids (down to the packaging). If Hasbro is really trying to piggyback on that with PT figures then they're dumber than I thought. These have absolutely ZERO nostalgic appeal (if they have any appeal at all).

joda76
01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
They are for 4 years plus at $13, not aimed at higher end collectors. I will get the Clone for my son to mess around with.

IrishJedi
01-27-2013, 09:44 PM
I must say, if there are any 1:6 scale "troop builders" those clones at $13 a piece are probably not bad to use for a bunch of background figures.

joda76
01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
I must say, if there are any 1:6 scale "troop builders" those clones at $13 a piece are probably not bad to use for a bunch of background figures.

Yeah I could see that. Some guys with talent could make it look nicer too.

snoop101
01-27-2013, 09:51 PM
What is the point of that figure? What a complete miss there, Hasbro....

What's the point of this thread? :dunno

That figure blows. :rotfl

DarthTrafford
01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Clearly Hot Toys has some competition...
It's just not from this company!
:rotfl

Hydeous
01-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Is the HT japan X hasbro collab? :lol

galactiboy
01-28-2013, 07:36 AM
It's funny... I figured as a toy this could be a cool thing. Big 12" figure and practically indestructible. But, the in the pictures is just looks like ***; even at less than the price of a typical 8" figure it's still not a good deal :lol

As other's have said the Clones don't look as bad; and might be some fun for kids.

steveo
01-28-2013, 07:43 AM
so Hasbro halted production on the 3 3/4 inch line for these?

Khev
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Plus, the entire point of the GG line is having 12" versions of the vintage figures we had as kids (down to the packaging). If Hasbro is really trying to piggyback on that with PT figures then they're dumber than I thought. These have absolutely ZERO nostalgic appeal (if they have any appeal at all).

They already did it with some success with the 3.75 inch "vintage" cards. Now instead of just emulating old packaging their doing it with the sculpts as well. Makes sense and is actually kind of cool.

http://www.parrygamepreserve.com/images/starWars/vintage2010/anakinSkywalker/anakinSkywalker1_M.jpg

Wor-Gar
01-28-2013, 10:46 AM
This figure would look bad in 1977.

If its for kids then why not make it more articulated if its a knockabout toy? Its almost a cruddy statue.

Still, if you collect the BEST, then why not also collect the WORST. This is the clear winner for this year's Worst Figure.

barryo
01-28-2013, 11:00 AM
http://www.mwctoys.com/images2/review_bdanakin_large.jpg

i think i'm going to buy this figure just to cut & bend down his index finger so he's flipping a bird....then send it back directly to hasbro.......:yess:

OutLander
01-28-2013, 11:48 AM

i think i'm going to buy this figure just to cut & bend down his index finger so he's flipping a bird....then send it back directly to hasbro.......:yess:

:lol:rotfl:lol:hi5:

galactiboy
01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
What's odd is they went with a very specific hand gesture; but it's one I think only Kenobi really did. So extra work; but for the wrong figure :huh

rubio95
01-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I have to say that one thing I won't miss with the new world of Star Wars is Anakin Skywalker. While it was episode 1 where he was most annoying, he never did win me over, and I prefer to ignore his whiny personality when I think of Vader.

This.

I hope that if Hot Toys does release another Star Wars figure, it is NOT Anakin Skywalker.

joda76
01-28-2013, 01:46 PM
This.

I hope that if Hot Toys does release another Star Wars figure, it is NOT Anakin Skywalker.

It probably will be. Although he (Hayden) wasn't very good I still want the Chosen One on my shelf. His performance in Ep. III was a lot better than II. Just some of his lines were really cheesy in EP. III
Maybe with better writing and direction Hayden would have been better.

Kuzeh
01-28-2013, 02:18 PM
WTF???? :horror :yuck

Darkarn009
01-29-2013, 05:19 PM

haha make sure you take a photo for us :lol:

Invictus Sol
01-29-2013, 05:57 PM
It probably will be. Although he (Hayden) wasn't very good I still want the Chosen One on my shelf. His performance in Ep. III was a lot better than II. Just some of his lines were really cheesy in EP. III
I think that's definitely possible. Pretty sure it was Samuel L. Jackson that said he enjoyed working with Lucas because it was one take and you were done. :/ And the writing... not a lot anyone could do with that (no-one disputes Portman's acting abilities but she was still lacklustre in the PT).

In regards to the figure, even though it's totally not aimed at us it's fun to see it get kicked around on Michael's site and in the thread. :lol

CaptnRex
01-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Absolute garbage.

DCFett
01-30-2013, 12:58 AM
In regards to the figure, even though it's totally not aimed at us it's fun to see it get kicked around on Michael's site and in the thread. :lol

OMG that's funny!
:panic::panic::lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

VintijDroidGutzz
01-30-2013, 05:09 AM
Why does this thread have 3 pages? :lol

I would've thought a simple comment at the end of Michael Crawford's initial post in here like DO NOT BUY would've solved it.

sithlord13
01-31-2013, 01:51 AM
Why does this thread have 3 pages? :lol

I would've thought a simple comment at the end of Michael Crawford's initial post in here like DO NOT BUY would've solved it.

We like to pick the bones out.
It is an awful figure.

VintijDroidGutzz
01-31-2013, 01:55 AM
The 'Death Becomes Her' eyebrows are a nice touch. :monkey4 :lol

lerath666
01-31-2013, 08:25 AM

... all i can think of is babe ruth calling his home run in that picture...

EVILFACE
01-31-2013, 08:29 AM
:lol everyone dogging a $13 toy.

Looks like something Neca would put out anyway.

Mad Old Lu
01-31-2013, 08:33 AM
... all i can think of is babe ruth calling his home run in that picture...

:rotfl That's all I think of too!

And yeah, I think this is probably aimed at 3-5 year olds.

Michael Crawford
01-31-2013, 08:36 AM
If you think 3 - 5 year olds would want this crap, you don't have any 3 - 5 year olds, or haven't been paying attention to the quality of most of their toys.

Mad Old Lu
01-31-2013, 08:37 AM
If you think 3 - 5 year olds would want this crap, you don't have any 3 - 5 year olds, or haven't been paying attention to the quality of most of their toys.

Yup. No kids. 1-3 year olds? :dunno

Michael Crawford
01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
It's the same reason Hasbro can continue to sell Star Wars figures to kids years after the movie, and Mattel can't move any Batman product in this scale. Everyone assumes kids are unsophisticated or unable to tell the difference between something good and something bad. If a figure like this was the norm, it'd be a different story, but the overall quality has risen so drastically over the last decade, that there's a new bar to meet.

Comparing these to NECA also is pretty ridiculous - NECA produced this:

http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_gremlinss2_large.jpg

and this:

http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_etdress_1.jpg

along with some outstanding Predator and Terminator figures, all for just a couple bucks more each than this piece of garbage.

Red Metal
01-31-2013, 11:28 PM

I've always agreed with that line of thought. Lucas directed the actors and really controlled how they ended up appearing. I don't fault Hayden for being a bad actor no more than I fault Jake Lloyd - I think Uncle George might be a bad director.

jedijim3002
02-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Reminds me of the old vintage 12" Vader and chewy. Luke and Han vintage at least had clothes like a barbie doll. I guess they are trying to cater to the 10 and under market.

Jay1138
02-01-2013, 07:03 AM
I honestly thought these figures were a joke at first -WRONG! They are a bad joke instead. Retailers -please clearance these quick and put them out of their misery.

jedijim3002
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
I finally saw these in person at target. Wow. Not even 12 inches. Really bad. Bad in pics but in person? Really really bad.

CHUYHA85
02-07-2013, 09:44 AM
:rotfl:rotfl looks like one of those shampoo bottles:monkey1

DiFabio
02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
I've seen worse. Don't see why everyone is ripping them. Yeah, they aren't collectible (I'm not interested), but I bet a kid would find these amusing and have little battles with them.

Looks to me you get what you pay for. Aren't hasbro's 3 3/4 inch figures $10 or $12 now? This is a bigger figure for $13 bucks. The paint sucks, but the likeness looks pretty good. Not sure how sturdy they are, but it looks alright for what it is.

This looks interesting, if I were a kid I'd be into it, looks like it talks,

http://forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/volkerc/vad%20anak%20nb%2012in.JPG

http://forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/volkerc/12inch%20figs%20nb.JPG

mortifactor
02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
If I were a kid, I'd want that clone trooper.

Looks like the sort of figure that would get battle damaged by magnifying glasses, stones, power tools, failed paratrooper landings and the inevitable burying in the garden as some kind of warrior's trial that always seemed really cool for some reason.

You need these kind of toys (dog chew toys for kids :lol) sometimes, although that anakin hasn't got what the clone has going for him.

BTW, buy your collectable clone trooper now, cus in 10 years finding a minty white one on ebay will be next to impossible due to my previous reasons :rotfl