How did you become a 1/6 scale figure collector?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gh0straid

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey guys thought it would be fun for me to share with you guys how I become a 1/6 scale collector and I like to hear your stories.

It all started one day (week before Christmas week) where I decided to get a small figure around 6 to 7" figure for one of the Japanese anime I watch (Naruto) on Ebay....which I did bought some and then as I look for more I came across Kotobukiya and at the time, statue was fine for me I didn't need articulation....but what caught me was the Iron Man mk 7 ARTFX from Kotobukiya and of course I was late into this collecting game business, everywhere locally was sold out I called pretty much all of the stores within 25km away so I bought it off Ebay this was just before the week of Christmas., then the Boxing Week I decided to get myself another Kotobukiya figure The Dark Knight Rises ARTFX this time. I got it morning of Boxing day right when the store open and I got 20% off =) and at this time I realised I really like this hobby and I knew I'm gonna continue this hobby and went and got one glass display, set it up and put allt he figures I have in and wow my room just look so much more awesome, the obsession rised and the massive online search begin =) where I started to learn about some more company that makes statue I even back track video games collector edition that come with figure and was able to picked up some games collector edition my favourites are the assassin creed 3 and gears of war 3 statue bought them and finally BOOM!!!! started to see Hot Toys and I was just amazed how accurate, good qualities and insane details on Hot Toys figures have so I got myself one and my first Hot Toys 1/6 scale figure is Wolf predator and holy smoke was I amazed and now I can't stop collecting Hot Toys =) and that's how I become a 1/6 scale figure collector. How did you become a collector?

Last edited:
Re: How did you become a 1/6 scale collector?

My first Hot toys was the Terrible Terminator1 figure, the old one with hamburger face. Needless to say I was hooked but its now getting harder with the economic downturn but Hot toys and others dont realise that yet, Im pulling out of 1/6. Still dipping my toe but making my own 1/6 figures.

Cool story and interesting topic!
For me it started over 20 years ago in 1991 I think, I was a young teen and saw the hall of fame duke in the service merchindise catalog and was amazed. Up til that point I was a kid playing with my 3 3/4 joes since I was 4. I had remembered my much older brother talking about how his gijoes were bigger and better than mine(refering to the 60's-70's gijoes):lol So I bought the hof duke figure, loved it and started collecting them.

That continued til about 2002 when 12" gijoes stopped showing up in stores, I stopped collecting and moved on with life. Fast forward to 2009 when I discovered hot toys dutch, I wanted it but was taken back by the price, up until then the most I would spend on a figure was tops 40 bucks and that was pushing it. Anyway I had wanted an awesome arnold figure forever(another long story) so I ordered it fell in love and have been collecting ever since.

Thats my story and I'm sticking too it:)

Hey guys thought it would be fun for me to share with you guys how I become a 1/6 scale collector and I like to hear your stories.

It all started one day (week before Christmas week) where I decided to get a small figure around 6 to 7" figure for one of the Japanese anime I watch (Naruto) on Ebay....which I did bought some and then as I look for more I came across Kotobukiya and at the time, statue was fine for me I didn't need articulation....but what caught me was the Iron Man mk 7 ARTFX from Kotobukiya and of course I was late into this collecting game business, everywhere locally was sold out I called pretty much all of the stores within 25km away so I bought it off Ebay this was just before the week of Christmas., then the Boxing Week I decided to get myself another Kotobukiya figure The Dark Knight Rises ARTFX this time. I got it morning of Boxing day right when the store open and I got 20% off =) and at this time I realised I really like this hobby and I knew I'm gonna continue this hobby and went and got one glass display, set it up and put allt he figures I have in and wow my room just look so much more awesome, the obsession rised and the massive online search begin =) where I started to learn about some more company that makes statue I even back track video games collector edition that come with figure and was able to picked up some games collector edition my favourites are the assassin creed 3 and gears of war 3 statue bought them and finally BOOM!!!! started to see Hot Toys and I was just amazed how accurate, good qualities and insane details on Hot Toys figures have so I got myself one and my first Hot Toys 1/6 scale figure is Wolf predator and holy smoke was I amazed and now I can't stop collecting Hot Toys =) and that's how I become a 1/6 scale figure collector. How did you become a collector?

Much like you, I just got into collecting this month. I didn't know they existed until a random google search for news on the new man of steel movie. Once I dug deeper and saw more pictures of hot toys figures , i sought them out and bought the first one Dx07 Luke. Once in hand I went on a binge and now have 9 hot toys. As a movie buff these things are crack. I have a ton of blue rays but since this month I have decided to focus my funds on hot toys and hold off on the blue rays (I'll just buy most wants rather then buying whatever catches my attention). Only problem for both of us by getting into the game this late is the prices. Not only catching up on figures but we missed out on the 150 msrp days at sideshow, now were lucky to get just one for 250. Justvlooke at the prices of per ordering Avengers ironman, hulk and dx13 from sideshow. Imagine after market prices of those. All I know is I have to budget well because I do want the avengers and then man of steel. Sadly I'll have to settle for missing some that I want at those retail prices

I collected 6 inch figures in college - simpsons, wwf, McFarlane. Then I came across medicoms rocketeer in like 2003 and decided to splurge. I kept collecting 6 inch figures for another couple years then I somehow found sovereign studios' batman so that was my next 1/6. Then batman begins came around and I picked up the first hot toys batman. Like a lot of people on here, the ledger joker brought me to the forum. I discovered customs and I was hooked. A year ago I sold the last of my non 1/6 items and only collect 1/6. Long story short, I blame medicom.

I've collected all my life and had a ton of the 7 inch stuff. I thought the sideshow stuff looked like silly dolls to me, then they put out old Ben Kenobi and all of a sudden I kind of changed my mind, then hot toys showed their dark knight batman and joker and I was just completely ****ed after that... Now I probably have over 60 of these damn things maybe more I don't want to count. I'm trying to slowly sell off some of my old 6 inch stuff especially the movie stuff that I have better versions of in 1/6 now.

I blamed my dad the other night.
It was the 1960s, and I used to get get Action Man for Christmas and birthdays. Loved the interchangeable aspects and the vehicles. Along came Star Wars and everything went 3 3/4 inch. I was horrified. Anyway, I drifted away from 1:6 stuff, into the mego figures for a while. Then nothing really 1:6 till, years later, and living in China, I saw an ad on a uk site for a 1:6 Doctor Who from Character. So I called my brother up and had him buy it and send it over. Then I got the pace suit version, and ultimately, the whole 1:6 range (and everything in their 5" range .. That's another story),
Then, I wandered into a toy shop after seeing some 3 3/4" Indy figures in their window , but I saw... The Hot Toys Indy figure. I blew me away. I bought it on the spot. Then, whilst reading up about it, I saw that HT were releasing Superman (Reeves) and I couldn't believe how tinning it was. The rest, is the last year or so, getting the Bats, Avengers, that Ghostruder on cycle (stunning). Then, when BC announced the Doctor Who line, I was finally getting the best of all worlds. As hobbies go, I'm loving this.

In a nutshell...

Got these when they first came out(i was 11) from Consumers Distributing

l_1.jpg

cc.jpg

And years later my first true 1/6th figure..

dragonhans1st.jpg

My first Hot toys was the Terrible Terminator1 figure, the old one with hamburger face. Needless to say I was hooked but its now getting harder with the economic downturn but Hot toys and others dont realise that yet, Im pulling out of 1/6. Still dipping my toe but making my own 1/6 figures.

custom your figures is really cool, I will be going into that once I have a fair amount of HT figures myself =)

Cool story and interesting topic!
For me it started over 20 years ago in 1991 I think, I was a young teen and saw the hall of fame duke in the service merchindise catalog and was amazed. Up til that point I was a kid playing with my 3 3/4 joes since I was 4. I had remembered my much older brother talking about how his gijoes were bigger and better than mine(refering to the 60's-70's gijoes):lol So I bought the hof duke figure, loved it and started collecting them.

That continued til about 2002 when 12" gijoes stopped showing up in stores, I stopped collecting and moved on with life. Fast forward to 2009 when I discovered hot toys dutch, I wanted it but was taken back by the price, up until then the most I would spend on a figure was tops 40 bucks and that was pushing it. Anyway I had wanted an awesome arnold figure forever(another long story) so I ordered it fell in love and have been collecting ever since.

Thats my story and I'm sticking too it:)

awesome dude, I like the fact you stopped collecting and then got back into the game, not a lot of people can do that in my opinion so that show you love this hobby, cheer to you =)

I've always had a love of action figures. at 4 years old, my grandmother gave me a superfriends superman figure. that's what started it all. when i was 7, My dad broke out the OLD 60's-70's GI joes. the large scale ones. The articulation, the details. I loved it.

Hasbro eventually revisits those years later , and makes the okish star wars ones.

Fast forward many many years. I've got TONS of action figures. I'm going to college, and working as a security guard. I'm bored, and I'm wondering what ever happened to the Stargate SG1 movies sci-fi channel promised us. I do some looking around on the internet, find an article on sci-fi.com about the Ark of truth coming to Dvd.... and in the side-bar, where they link to RANDOM articles on the site, i see a review of the ROTJ Sideshow Luke Skywalker figure.

Star Wars. Super Articulated. AMAZING ( then) detail. and a ok price. I'm sold. I look it up on ebay, find out there's tons more. Start trying to get luke, go to sideshow's website, get hooked. start pre-ordering figures. My FIRST figure bought directly from sideshow was their Bespin luke.

MY FIRST 1/6th figure? SDCC Vader.
Followed by Obi-wan, and Maul
Followed By Luke Jedi
Then Sideshow Bespin
Then Dead spokesperson
and it just went from there.
My FIRST Hot toys figure was RE 4 Leon.
First medicom was Comic spidey. better known as glassman.

Much like you, I just got into collecting this month. I didn't know they existed until a random google search for news on the new man of steel movie. Once I dug deeper and saw more pictures of hot toys figures , i sought them out and bought the first one Dx07 Luke. Once in hand I went on a binge and now have 9 hot toys. As a movie buff these things are crack. I have a ton of blue rays but since this month I have decided to focus my funds on hot toys and hold off on the blue rays (I'll just buy most wants rather then buying whatever catches my attention). Only problem for both of us by getting into the game this late is the prices. Not only catching up on figures but we missed out on the 150 msrp days at sideshow, now were lucky to get just one for 250. Justvlooke at the prices of per ordering Avengers ironman, hulk and dx13 from sideshow. Imagine after market prices of those. All I know is I have to budget well because I do want the avengers and then man of steel. Sadly I'll have to settle for missing some that I want at those retail prices

Yeah I agreed with you, I feel like I'm always at the edge when things just goes sky high on price but hey we're really late into this hobby and that's the price we pay =) For me the price it's a huge jump because those Japanese anime figure I got cost me around $20-$60 to Kotobukiya $120-$150 and now HT $250-$300, each time it's double up :lol and yes a few figure I have to catch up on and keep up to date with the new one coming out as well. We would be able to get more figure if the price is still around $150 :lol

I collected 6 inch figures in college - simpsons, wwf, McFarlane. Then I came across medicoms rocketeer in like 2003 and decided to splurge. I kept collecting 6 inch figures for another couple years then I somehow found sovereign studios' batman so that was my next 1/6. Then batman begins came around and I picked up the first hot toys batman. Like a lot of people on here, the ledger joker brought me to the forum. I discovered customs and I was hooked. A year ago I sold the last of my non 1/6 items and only collect 1/6. Long story short, I blame medicom.

It's actually a good thing for me that I didn't spend money on smaller figure, I pretty much jumped straight into 1/6 scale figure and found out about HT before I went berserk on Kotobukiya, don't get me wrong kotobukiya is really awesome. I will get their figure if HT doesn't have the character or from Bowen.

I've collected all my life and had a ton of the 7 inch stuff. I thought the sideshow stuff looked like silly dolls to me, then they put out old Ben Kenobi and all of a sudden I kind of changed my mind, then hot toys showed their dark knight batman and joker and I was just completely ****ed after that... Now I probably have over 60 of these damn things maybe more I don't want to count. I'm trying to slowly sell off some of my old 6 inch stuff especially the movie stuff that I have better versions of in 1/6 now.

LMAO yes! I did have that thought when I first saw HT figure on youtube video ppl showing off their glass collection they looked so much like just dolls with good material clothing :lol but that's only because the guy in the video he doesn't make them pose. all of his figure both arm just down straight, but then I realised HT articulation can pose almost as good as statue pose.

I had a few 1/6 figures, but nothing serious. They were mostly Sideshow figures, like the 007 Goldeneye 1/6 (Bond and 006), Platoon, etc. Also the Hasbro Star Wars figures from the 90s/early 2000s. Nothing to write about, I wasn't that into them. I remember winning a Sideshow LOTR Boromir from Rebelscum and not really thinking anything of it.

12inchbobafett(otc).jpg

What made me become a serious 1/6 scale collector were a few figures. The first being the Hot Toys T-800.

I saw this review on Crawford's site,

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_091205b.htm

review_htterm_5.jpg

And knew I had to have it. Likeness aside, it was the best Terminator figure I had ever seen.

I was at a comic/toy expo convention and a dealer had it for $90 bucks. I somehow got it for $75. It was my first Hot Toys figure.

The second thing thing that really got me into the game was seeing this review before The Dark Knight. I was amazed by the Takara Batman. Again, I was on Crawford's site and I clearly remember seeing the Takara as the definitive Batman.

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_073106a.htm

review_takbats_large.jpg

I also remember Pitu's review and thinking, "that settles it, I gotta preorder this guy from BBTS".

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b0RNJBhNW4[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMs8uJ3rSe4[/ame]

The last figure that cemented it for me was this figure. As soon as I saw the specs/pics for it I was hooked,

2796832080_2d796d4956_o.jpg

20081014011535311_jpg.jpg

I didn't think the Hot Toys TDK line was that special. I thought muppet Joker looked like a joke and I had the Takara Batman already. When I saw the Bank Robber Joker and compatibility for the V1 body, I really got into the game.

Last edited:

I blamed my dad the other night.
It was the 1960s, and I used to get get Action Man for Christmas and birthdays. Loved the interchangeable aspects and the vehicles. Along came Star Wars and everything went 3 3/4 inch. I was horrified. Anyway, I drifted away from 1:6 stuff, into the mego figures for a while. Then nothing really 1:6 till, years later, and living in China, I saw an ad on a uk site for a 1:6 Doctor Who from Character. So I called my brother up and had him buy it and send it over. Then I got the pace suit version, and ultimately, the whole 1:6 range (and everything in their 5" range .. That's another story),
Then, I wandered into a toy shop after seeing some 3 3/4" Indy figures in their window , but I saw... The Hot Toys Indy figure. I blew me away. I bought it on the spot. Then, whilst reading up about it, I saw that HT were releasing Superman (Reeves) and I couldn't believe how tinning it was. The rest, is the last year or so, getting the Bats, Avengers, that Ghostruder on cycle (stunning). Then, when BC announced the Doctor Who line, I was finally getting the best of all worlds. As hobbies go, I'm loving this.

awesome lol, that reminded me when I got into this hobby I went into all of the figure stores in the city it felt like candy land for me :lol anyhow keep on collecting our collection will grow nicely by summer for me at least.

In a nutshell...

Got these when they first came out(i was 11) from Consumers Distributing

l_1.jpg

cc.jpg

And years later my first true 1/6th figure..

dragonhans1st.jpg

:lol wow which company mad those? I can see why you would like HT

I had only been collecting Hasbro Star Wars 3 3/4" figures and McFarlane 7" Terminator, Alien, Predator and Robocop. All was going fine but I had no representation of ED-209 in my collection and was aware of the Hot Toys one. I decided to order it despite the fact it wasn't in scale with anything else I had. Then I was in Forbidden Planet Dublin having a browse and decided to buy the Sideshow T2 T-800 and T-1000. It just went from there. Suddenly I had to have everything that I had in 7" in 1:6 aswell. I also branched out into Hot Toys TDK line and then I had to continue buying superhero-related characters. Only last year did I start cutting back on those to go back to my initial mission statement of my ''Big Four'', Terminator, Robocop, Predator and Alien.....with a major bias towards Terminator.

I've always had a love of action figures. at 4 years old, my grandmother gave me a superfriends superman figure. that's what started it all. when i was 7, My dad broke out the OLD 60's-70's GI joes. the large scale ones. The articulation, the details. I loved it.

Hasbro eventually revisits those years later , and makes the okish star wars ones.

Fast forward many many years. I've got TONS of action figures. I'm going to college, and working as a security guard. I'm bored, and I'm wondering what ever happened to the Stargate SG1 movies sci-fi channel promised us. I do some looking around on the internet, find an article on sci-fi.com about the Ark of truth coming to Dvd.... and in the side-bar, where they link to RANDOM articles on the site, i see a review of the ROTJ Sideshow Luke Skywalker figure.

Star Wars. Super Articulated. AMAZING ( then) detail. and a ok price. I'm sold. I look it up on ebay, find out there's tons more. Start trying to get luke, go to sideshow's website, get hooked. start pre-ordering figures. My FIRST figure bought directly from sideshow was their Bespin luke.

MY FIRST 1/6th figure? SDCC Vader.
Followed by Obi-wan, and Maul
Followed By Luke Jedi
Then Sideshow Bespin
Then Dead spokesperson
and it just went from there.
My FIRST Hot toys figure was RE 4 Leon.
First medicom was Comic spidey. better known as glassman.

cool story dude, when I was a kid I did have lots of 6" action figures myself and their mainly marvel characters too but as my family and I moved home to home my whole brown box of those figures got lost and never bothered with figure up until now, I am back and even stronger than ever!!! that hobby drifted away for many years and now it's back :lol

My first 1/6 scale figures were the T-1000 and T-800 from Sideshow. The Jakks Rocky line got me into figure collecting and then one day I discovered the Sideshow Toy website by accident. Being a huge Rocky fan I then found this website and discovered the HT's Rocky line. The miserable rest is history :lol

Back