R.I.P Marvel Cosmic

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncanny Web-Slinger

Super Freak
Reaction score
After the excellent ressurection of Marvel Cosmic by DnA was put on Hiatus a few years back, all Cosmic Marvel fans became worried it wouldn't return. Despite good sales and praise for the stories, Marvel seemed un-interested in continuing them.

Hope was restored when it was announced Nova and the Guardians of the Galaxy would relaunch with Marvel Now. Surely this would mean the return of fan-favourite characters and a new chapter for the galaxy hopping unverse saving heroes... or would it?

When i heard what was planned i became concerned, i was certain i'd still give the series' a go, afterall even with some different characters it would still be the characters in galaxy hopping adventures, right?

It seems the relaunch of the Cosmic books from Marvel aren't going to be cosmic at all.

The new Nova series is looking to be pretty much Nova-in-name-only. It won't have Richard Rider as Nova but instead a teenager with significantly less power, no affiliation with the Nova Corps, who won't be operating in Space.

https://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/content/op-ed-marvel-pseudo-cosmic-decline-marvel-cosmic-under-alonso-brevoort-quesada-whacker-bendi

The relaunch of Guardians of the Galaxy will also be operating on Earth and will have iron man as a team member, because one can't avoid Avenger characters anymore even when reading books supposed to be taking place on different planets.

So these basically look to be the total opposite of Cosmic Marvel. Keeping Cosmic Marvel grounded on Earth is like having Spider-Man operating in a jungle.

It seems Marvel is disregarding everything that made Cosmic gather fans and continuity. They're changing/bastardising the characters, settings and their history so they can be the same as every other earth-team.

https://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/content/how-long-will-nino-nova-and-guardians-earth-last-they-are-canceled

______

It's fairly obvious what with a Guardians movie coming they are trying to erase everything that made the characters great so they can assosiate the comic versions with the Earthbound Avenger movieverse.
Iron man is rumoured to be in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, which again makes no sense, i get that they want to capitalise on his success in the movies but if thats the case just do another ****ing iron man film instead of shoehorning him into a team of characters that don't relate to him, need nor want him involved.

The new Nova particularly worries me. Usually these fill-in characters don't last long and he real version comes back, but they're "pushing" this new Nova quite a bit even going as far as to use him for Nova's on-screen debut instead of the real 'Richard Rider' Nova.

https://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/view/108222/28214761/The_Return_of_Nova...

I fear if Nova appears in the Guardians movie or even in his own movie he'll be this little non-Nova runt instead of the actual Richard Rider Nova.

So not only are they killing the Comic genre in the comics but it looks like the movie, which should be a celebration for fans of the characters, is instead going to be a bastardisation of the source material done for Avenger fans instead of Guardians, Nova and other Cosmic fans.

It'd be like the first Wonder Woman movie being about some African teenage girl called WonderWoman with in a robotic suit who operates in Space.

R.I.P Marvel Cosmic. You provided excellent stories and characters amongst the drival of the earth heroes, you will be missed :monkey2

Last edited:
Preach my brotha!! :clap

Personally, Bendis has been one of my least favorite writers. Apparently, this is an uncommon opinion, which I don't understand. All of his characters have the same "hip, cool" personality with "witty banter" and of course there is Bendis speak.

To his credit, he is creative, but he has such poor execution and can barely keep track of what he's writing. Loeb on the other hand had talent, however, it's clear he hasn't been the same. It really sucks because Long Halloween was one of my favorite stories but his new Hulk, for example, is terrible.

These two are taking over my favorite area of marvel and I could not be more worried. Some of it may be critically acclaimed (Bendis' stuff) and people may love it, but I know it's not what I liked and what drew me to it in the first place. Hopefully the movie will at least be good.

Unfortunately, that's the nature of the business.
But it also comes around eventually like every other thing in the comic book world.

Preach my brotha!! :clap

Personally, Bendis has been one of my least favorite writers. Apparently, this is an uncommon opinion, which I don't understand. All of his characters have the same "hip, cool" personality with "witty banter" and of course there is Bendis speak.

To his credit, he is creative, but he has such poor execution and can barely keep track of what he's writing. Loeb on the other hand had talent, however, it's clear he hasn't been the same. It really sucks because Long Halloween was one of my favorite stories but his new Hulk, for example, is terrible.

These two are taking over my favorite area of marvel and I could not be more worried. Some of it may be critically acclaimed (Bendis' stuff) and people may love it, but I know it's not what I liked and what drew me to it in the first place. Hopefully the movie will at least be good.

Thinking of this Bendis/Loeb combo leaves the grossest taste in my mouth. Bendis might just be the most overrated writer in comics, and I couldn't agree more with you about how awful Loeb Hulk was.

I enjoyed the Avengers movie, but one thing Disney Marvel is going overboard with is putting the cart ahead of the horse, letting their new movieverse dictate the comicverse. It's a trashy, $$$ move that I don't agree with at all.

DC/Vertigo and Image are more and more becoming my favorite publishing houses as they are the ones who seem to really get comics these days. I'm not familiar with Marvel Cosmic, but sorry to the fans of it who have to swallow this jagged stone.

This makes me sad beyond all reason :(

I never really read any Cosmic stuff until very recently when I started getting into the Annihilation stuff & subsequently when a bit barmy on it & have been slowly trying to pick up anything Cosmic or with Thanos in it & I was super excited at the end of the first Avengers Assemble arc when they had re-appeared & nearly wet my pants when it said a new GoTG series would start in February.

Only to read what you said & that makes me cry & I've died a little inside.

The thing with Nova is have you seen how they ruined him in the new Spiderman cartoon??
I assume this is all stemming a little bit from that...the new readers only associate him with a teenager & that's just plain stupid.

I had high high hopes for these new titles but I doubt they'll live up to anything now :(
I will still get the first few issues of Guardians but expect I'll skip Nova entirely & then see how it starts to play out.

I doubt I'll keep it running for long though.

RIP Cosmic awesomeness...you will be missed

Neil

This sounds like a directive from the top to make the comic book "cosmic heroes" less cosmic to better fit into current film mythos. Changing the comic to better reflect the larger audience that the movies will target has already been implemented with Nick Fury, Jr in the 616 universe, right? Who here really thinks that Marvel/Disney won't be directing similar changes down the road?

Marvel/Disney was really gunning for Fox to relinquish the rights for Fantastic Four films, but that didn't happen. It wouldn't surprise me at all if at some level, this wasn't a big EFF YOU to Fox for the upcoming relaunch of the Fantastic Four movie, hoping that viewers can't associate with a cosmic styled story of the Fantastic Four, resulting in a box office bust, and then Marvel/Disney can regain the FF rights from Fox in a few years. Conspiracy Theory for sure, but when Disney is involved, is it really that far fetched?

hope this kid doesn't ast long :pray:

Though i do like the artwork

nova01preview1jpg-9f0952.jpg

The school scenes look cool, i've always liked Teen heroes, just why did they have to ruin the Nova mythos? They could've easily made up a new hero for this kid

Last edited:
The school scenes look cool, i've always liked Teen heroes, just why did they have to ruin the Nova mythos? They could've easily made up a new hero for this kid

They always **** with every character, it just so happened it was Nova's turn.

I personally don't think they ruined the mythos, cause all those good stories that Rider was part of will remain in continuity. They just changed the dynamic with this upstart.

Look at DC's Green Lantern before the NuDC. They had bland Kyle Rayner take the mantle for a while but it all came back to the original eventually.

Another funny note, Nova Corps in a way is Marvel's version of the Green Lantern Corps.

You're right about the continuity remaining intact, hopefull Rich will come back soon. I think with is whole change-up of GotG and Nova for the movieverse' sake and this Kid Nova being the first Nova on TV has me worried they'll keep this kid instead of the real Nova.

Kinda like what they've done to Fury.

You're right about the continuity remaining intact, hopefull Rich will come back soon. I think with is whole change-up of GotG and Nova for the movieverse' sake and this Kid Nova being the first Nova on TV has me worried they'll keep this kid instead of the real Nova.

Kinda like what they've done to Fury.

Son of mother****ing *****! Forgot about that stinkin' pile of excrement.
I miss OG Fury. :monkey2

Funny how there's almost every hero there except most of the cosmic ones.

Thanos will always be a Cosmic villain to me, seems weird to have him face Spider-Man and Black Panther. He'd swat them like flies.

https://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/guardians-of-the-galaxy-nova-marvel-cosmic-future/

BMB ON NOVA said:
The comic-book series takes place [chronologically] well before the animated series, but hopefully for people watching the animated series, Nova is someone that folks will have some investment in.

People Already have an investment with Nova you dumb **** :thwak:

Not one single mention of the fact that these characters have their own history. They talk as if they created them and they're 100% new :cuckoo:

Back