Zack Snyder Developing a Star Wars Film

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnumOpus

Super Freak
Reaction score
Man of Steel director Zack Snyder is developing a Star Wars film that will take place outside of the planned new trilogy of movies.

Vulture reports that the helmer, who has also made 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch, is "developing a Star Wars project for Lucasfilm that is set within the series’ galaxy, though parallel to the next trilogy. It will be an as-yet-untitled Jedi epic loosely based on Akira Kurosawa’s 1954 classic Seven Samurai, with the ronin and katana being replaced by the Force-wielding knights and their iconic lightsabers." Of course, Lucas' original film was inspired by Seven Samurai as well.

After acquiring Lucasfilm last fall, Disney CEO Bob Iger indicated that the plan was to release a new Star Wars film every two or three years after Episode VII, with the implication being that the new trilogy of films wouldn't be the only Star Wars in town. And indeed, this news confirms this plan. Sources say that Snyder's Star Wars won't start production until after "Disney starts on its planned 2015 release of Star Wars: Episode VII." Meanwhile, we're all still waiting for the announcement as to who will direct that film. How long are they gonna keep us hanging?! We seem to be made to suffer -- it's our lot in life!

SOURCE: IGN
https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/14/zack-snyder-developing-a-star-wars-film

I'll play the non cynical person here, and say **** yes. Give it to me hard.

Dont like zack Snyder movies, and mixing seven samurai with star wars = im worried it may have nice special effects but thats it.

Dont like zack Snyder movies, and mixing seven samurai with star wars = im worried it may have nice special effects but thats it.

Lucas was heavily influenced by Kurosawa. That doesn't surprise me someone would look to Samurai epics for inspiration. What does surprise me is Snyder's involvement and a movie being developed that's not related to the Sequel Trilogy. If they're making a SW movie every 2-3 years, then we're going to have to wait a lot longer to get one cohesive trilogy than we would if they'd hold off on these "filler episodes."

Not sure I'm digging this... Zach Snyder?? WTF.

I like Watchmen and some of his other movies, but I still am baffled that he made the jump to Man of Steel, and now Star Wars, I just never thought he'd get movies like these with his overall track record. It's just that none of his movies are original except Sucker Punch and that blew big time.

He does a good job of taking some kind of graphic novel or otherwise already there souce material (dawn) and presenting those visuals on screen but then I guess Star Wars isn't exactly what it use to be either. Rumors are alot of legit directors already turned down the chance to be involved and I doubt most serious directors see these movies as anything but toy commercials these days. I hope that will change now that Lucas isn't really at the helm, but I didn't exactly think we'd go from Lucas to Zack Snyder either. I just don't see much of an improvement from a one trick pony.

I like Watchmen and some of his other movies, but I still an baffled that he made the jump to Man of Steel, and now Star Wars, I just never thought he'd get movies like these with his overall track record. It's just that none of his movies are original except Sucker Punch and that blew big time.

He does a good job of taking some kind of graphic novel or otherwise already there souce material (dawn) and presenting those visuals on screen but then I guess Star Wars isn't exactly what it use to be either. Rumors are alot of legit directors already turned down the chance to be involved and I doubt most serious directors see these movies as anything but toy commercials these days. I hope that will change now that Lucas isn't really at the helm, but I didn't exactly think we'd go from Lucas to Zack Snyder either. I just don't see much of an improvement from a one trick pony.

Well put. I am not a fan of Snyder. I like some of his movies, but I credit the writers of the graphic novels more than I do him. I am hoping this is a made up rumor and Snyder has nothing to do with Star Wars. I was genuinely excited about Episode VII after allowing the idea to sit with me for a while but now this just makes me back to not caring...

I think this could rock.

Personally, I think if they admit the relationship to Seven Samuarai in the same way that I believe The Magnificent Seven did and never deny it, then this will be great.

If they don't embrace it then it will be doomed to fail.

IMO this should be based on around the Clone Wars times rather than post-OT. Use the existing PT Jedi (minus Obi-Wan and Anakin). Let Sam Jackson be the lead actor: Mace, Ki Adi, Kit Fisto, Quinlon Voss, Shaak Ti, and a couple others.

I'm still not sold that the POT needs to have some big Jedi repopulation.

If they did PT era movies, I wouldn't bother seeing them in theaters.... Move things forward or way back in time! Save the PT stuff for that cartoon on TV.

I think this could be pretty awesome. A lone, ronin Jedi story could be great if told correctly.

Debunked rumor.

"While he is super flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars. He is currently in post on his two films, 'Man of Steel' and '300: Battle of Artemisia'.”

Let's try to wait for official announcements before we start new threads--things will get crowded if every rumor gets a thread of its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back