Certified comics book (PGX/CGC...) (Need advice)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi, I know that isn't about figures, but still it is collectibles around Marvel ;) I want buy via eBay 1st issue of my favourite hero, but I don't know anything about CGC, PGX,...certification, so I want ask you, what is better, how big difference is between PGX 9.4 and 9.8 or PGX 9.8 and CGC 9.8? What is more valuable? And is there any page with recommendation prices? I don't want overpriced piece!

Thank you for any hints and helps!

Regards.

Last edited:
All I've ever thought that was, was the condition of the piece graded out of 10, with 10 being perfect and 0 being terrible. If it is a 1st issue with a high grade you're looking for, I would expect you would pay a high price.
I know I might not have helped, but this is all I know, sorry.

Thanks friend for try ;) Well, that issue is on eBay without grade for 3 dollars, with CGC 9.8 for 125....well...maybe that without grade will be enough for me;)

Are you really needing ones that are already pre-certified? Will you care about the certification rating? If the cost is $3 dollar for un-certified, you can always get it certified yourself for $35 per book. The gamble is that it will not be a highly rated comic book.

I'm in a similar boat but doing something a little bit different. I'm collecting some 1st issues that are signed. Not graded, but will need a COA. Basically matching what I have in terms of Hot Toys with signed comic book covers and will be mounting them behind the Detolf case. Pretty exciting...won 3 auctions so far, hehe.

Hi Elar

I can help point you in the right direction.

Check out this forum
https://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=5
It is a comic collecting forum with alot of info on CGC graded and raw comics.

From what I have learned CGC is the reputable company, PGX is more affordable to get books graded but have heard they are a little sketchy. I personally have not dealt with PGX graded books but have steered clear of them based on what I have read.

As far as prices on CGC graded books this site is excellent but you have to pay a monthly fee
https://comics.gpanalysis.com/

It has records off alot of books that were sold at auctions like ebay and other auction houses dating back 10 or so years. I was a subscriber on the site 4 or so years ago when I was into CGC graded books

Help that info helps

Jeff

Hi, I know that isn't about figures, but still it is collectibles around Marvel ;) I want buy via eBay 1st issue of my favourite hero, but I don't know anything about CGC, PGX,...certification, so I want ask you, what is better, how big difference is between PGX 9.4 and 9.8 or PGX 9.8 and CGC 9.8? What is more valuable? And is there any page with recommendation prices? I don't want overpriced piece!

Thank you for any hints and helps!

Regards.

2ndname: Well, I want first Deadpool issue also for my Display :D And at 1st look it will be cool with certify. But on 2nd look will be regular version enough. Or...I will see. Don't know if this comics will have reputation for have with cgc.

EVILFACE: Thanks for opinion ;)

jmarch: Thanks a lot for that sum of information! That GPA looks like amazing service for someone, who really want collect it hard! But I will check that forum. Really thank you.

Last edited:
If you can buy the issue in question raw (ungraded) for $3, it is absolutely insane to think about having it professionally graded. Just buy the book raw and put it in a mylar sleeve.
IMO, unless you're looking to sell high grade gold, silver or bronze age "keys" (i.e. ACTION COMICS #1, AMAZING FANTASY #15, GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #1), professional grading services are for suckers.

Agreed on the last point. For comics with a raw value of less than $100 why bother with professional grading--waste of your money. Now for key issues, older books in great visual shape, sure why not. I only go for CGA for comics, AFA for toys, PSA for cards.

Okay boys =) Thank you a lot to both to open my eyes and mind! I will listen your advices.(I'm newbie in collecting comics book(I just only read it in electronic version). Now only find good looking raw comics;)

Since this concerns Comics, both raw and graded I will move this thread to The Printed Word Section. Some other peeps in there may also find the information useful.

Personally i have a couple of sets of my favourite comic, graded (CGC) and ungraded.

x :peace

CBC is the way to go for this.

PGX doesn't have much credibility.

I have heard bad bad things about PGX. I remember seeing a video where a guy sent off his 1st printing of TMNT issue 1 to them. When he got it back it was graded as a 1st print, but he opened it to make sure and they sent him back either 2nd or 3rd printing. He video taped it as he was opening the box they sent it in.

Back