Action Figure Zen and the Art of Building an Astromech

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furystorm

Super Freak
Reaction score
Zen and the Art of Building an Astromech

Welcome to my ill-advised attempt at building my own full sized, and fully functional, astromech. Namely, R2-D2. In short, I'm going to attempt to build an all metal (mostly aluminum), replica with all the lights, sounds, and other accoutrement that we all know come with our favorite little droid.

Not much to report today, but I did open up my laser cut 300 mm dome, and am really happy with it. There's a ton of work to be done now...

null-75.jpg

null-71.jpg

null-72.jpg

null-73.jpg

null-76.jpg

null-78.jpg

null-74.jpg

null-77.jpg

And the R2-D2 I already own:

CVItattoo02.jpg

I was in a bit of pain at that time. It had only been about an hour since the work was finished.

Okay, so the deal is this. The dome is offered on the droid builders site from time to time. Seems like an annual thing, and I was just lucky enough to get on board for one of the last few unclaimed domes. It comes exactly as I've shown it from this site, which is owned by a member of the astromech community:

https://www.300mmdome.com/

It's basically a hand spun aluminum dome made to the specs of the club with the usual doors and other openings pre-laser-cut into the outer dome. An inner dome (solid) is included which the builder (me) uses to open up and add all those accouterment I was referring to earlier. I know for the dome, I must have the periscope and the life form indicator that pop up out of R2 from time to time. I might also go for Luke's saber in there as well. But that's probably pushing it. At the very least, I want my dome to be completely aluminum and fully functional. Many warn against this, as kids tend to grab at R2 at conventions and can damage the doors and such. We'll see how I feel as I move along. It's a daunting task regardless.

I've got a radar eye housing coming as well, all aluminum as well.

So far for these two pieces, I'm at about $680... :horror :panic: :panic: :panic:

The three holoprojectors should be had for around $100 each. Much less in resin, but for now I'm sticking to my guns and going for aluminum...

I remember finding the R2 builder's way back when. I wanted to build an R2 and even had them make me a name badge that I picked up at their table back at C3.

Never got any farther thatn that. :(

Good luck to you.

Parts alone will run you in neighborhood of 11000 for all aluminum droid. It will also take years to accumulate those parts. This is not dissimilar to building your own motorcycle from scratch,etc.

Good luck to you on this amazing project!

I thought about doing this last year after reading up on it over at the RPF but that's as far as I got. There is a very difficult task to accomplish and from what I've read several years of work. I wish you the best of luck.

Awesome man! So do the components "plug" into the openenings on the outer dome or do you need to do more work to the dome before it get's added to?

Also, what's the purpose of the inner dome?

So do the components "plug" into the openenings on the outer dome or do you need to do more work to the dome before it get's added to?

Also, what's the purpose of the inner dome?

I'll try to answer these questions with my limited knowledge of the subject. ;)

Components don't just simply plug into the openings, as everything is custom made from either aluminum or some type of plastic, so there can be slight variations. There can be a lot of work needed to get a proper fit for each of the components. Apparently, there is a ton (a ton) of sanding involved in utilizing aluminum components and dome. More on sanding later. So, what I've learned so far about "more work" is that I'll need to countersink some fastening screws to any of the areas where those accessories are mounted. There are the three obvious holo-projectors, and also two PSI thingys (which are the flat lighted areas on from and back), and then the three logic displays (two small on front, and one large on back). There are other items as well, just not as major. I guess the radar eye is pretty major, but that is on it's way already and simply attaches to the outer dome via four countersunk screws. I think.

The dome as it comes is fully customizable. Obviously, it's simply a laser cut piece of aluminum. So the builder has decisions to make about which doors to create, and painting techniques, etc.

The inner dome is somewhat imperative for a couple of reasons that I can ascertain. If you look at images of R2, you'll see the second layer of the dome beneath each of the cut out panels. Some panels (i.e. the "magic" panel) are taken out of the outer dome entirely, so the inner dome shows through completely. The other very important reason for the inner dome is to have a fastening surface. Screws and mounting hardware are countersunk into the inner dome, so that the heads are flat beneath the outer dome and ultimately covered by that outer dome. So items are mounted to this inner dome and poke out through the corresponding outer dome openings. Make sense? One additional reason for the inner dome is to create a lip for each of the opening panels to rest upon while closed. Each panel a builder wants to open has to be transcribed onto the inner dome (once a good fit for inner to outer dome is achieved), and cut out of that inner dome.

Initially, I wanted to have all of my doors open. But after more research into all of the work that goes into it. I've almost decided to have just the pie panels (on top) open up and leave almost all of the side panels sealed. I'll probably hinge just one of those side panels, a larger one, to have good access to the interior of the dome.

I was going to wait for more components to become available and have them on hand. But I just can't sit here and look at this dome sitting on my dining room table, and not work on it...

So, I'm planning on going out today to get a few tools to start working on the outer dome. Cutting out panels, and filing, maybe even some sanding. But again, it's going to be very slow going. Whenever I make progress, I'll post pics of what is going on with a description.

So, concerning sanding. It is said that on the dome, you:

1. cut the panels out.
2. file the edges.
3,4,5,6,7,8,9... sand, sand, sand... :lol

Last edited:
Back