Brian Wood's Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow5

Super Freak
Reaction score
Brian Wood's Star Wars kicked off this week with issue #1 today, and what an issue it was. The writing is top-notch, and the art is gorgeous. The coloring in particular is just stunning.

sw-original.jpg

I also really loved just how much focus is being put on Leia. Wood is one of the best in the business when writing female characters. If you're into the original trilogy, I HIGHLY recommend it.

I'm just happy there's finally someone doing Leia's character justice in the EU for a change.

I just saw this on StarWars.com. :)

When I was approached for this job, I took a couple of minutes to think about what Star Wars meant to me, in order to determine if I had anything to bring to the table. I saw Star Wars in the theater; an odd decision for my mother, who tended to err on the side of caution when exposing her five-year-old to the mass media. I, of course, got a bunch of Star Wars toys, collected full sets of playing cards, and reenacted Hoth battle scenes in the snowy woods of Vermont. I was hooked, like everyone was. I realized that for the last 35 years of my life, Star Wars has been there in the background of my mind, in deep storage, waiting for something.

So I said yes to the job, thinking that if I were ever to write a Star Wars comic, this would be it, one set in the original trilogy using these characters I knew, dealing with continuity I was comfortable with, and would have the simple and iconic title of Star Wars. My original pitch document tapped into that deep storage, bringing up phrases like “the Kuat Drive Yards” and “Lancer-class frigates” and the knowledge that X-wings were built by Incom and TIEs by Sienar and that R5 astromech droids are the ones with the flowerpot heads and the bad attitudes. I didn’t know I knew all that, but I did, and I relaxed into the job.

The story I’m writing sits in the narrative space between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. It actually starts days after the end of Hope, with a homeless and rather diminished Rebel fleet searching for a world upon which to establish a new base. The Empire, also wounded from Yavin, is doing whatever they can to keep the Rebels on the defensive. One Imperial officer, a new character called Bircher, seems to have a line on the Rebels’ plans and is making a habit of deploying squadrons of TIEs right where the Rebels drop out of light speed. Leia is tasked with creating a “stealth squadron” to figure out who’s selling them out to the Empire, and why.

This is a series heavy on space battles and snubfighter dogfights. A series that gets into the emotional states of our post-Tatooine, post-Alderaan, post-Yavin characters who have lost so much yet press on in their fight for freedom. Leia, especially, a very young woman with the burden of responsibility as the figurehead of the Rebellion, finds a lot of catharsis behind the stick of an X-wing.

From Yavin to Coruscant to Tatooine to Endor, from the hangars of the Devastator and the command decks of the massive Executor, this is the Star Wars I know best, the one that I’ve known for virtually my entire life. It’s a rare honor to receive a job like this, and this fan is giving it all he’s got.

Yeah, I love the print as well. There's times I think about going digital, but I'm not sure I'll like it as much. It would be easier to store, though. :lol

I'll have to find a store this week. Looks like the prices on ebay are getting a little nuts.

Oh, and thanks Snoopy!

The good thing about this first issue of SW (I'm not sure if they're doing it for subsequent issues) is that it comes with a free digital code, so you can pick up the print version and get both!

I prefer print copies for select titles (maybe 6-7), but I'm doing digital for everything else. I'd say I read about 20% print. Digital is just so nice, convenient, space-saving, and depending on when you buy, cheaper!

The good thing about this first issue of SW (I'm not sure if they're doing it for subsequent issues) is that it comes with a free digital code, so you can pick up the print version and get both!

I prefer print copies for select titles (maybe 6-7), but I'm doing digital for everything else. I'd say I read about 20% print. Digital is just so nice, convenient, space-saving, and depending on when you buy, cheaper!

Hey Shadow5!!! How have you been? Are you coming to Chicago anytime soon?

I just saw that on Dark Horse about the free digital copy! Very cool! I'm hoping to hit a nearby store tomorrow and grab a copy. Would love to try out a digital version to see the difference.

Sounds like Wood is coming to C2E2, so I can use the print version to get signed after I read it! :lol

Btw, thanks for starting this thread and giving everyone a heads up Shadow5!

Yeah, I love the print as well. There's times I think about going digital, but I'm not sure I'll like it as much. It would be easier to store, though. :lol

I'll have to find a store this week. Looks like the prices on ebay are getting a little nuts.

Oh, and thanks Snoopy!

You're welcome! :duff

I've been thinking about going digital on some books I read...digital copies are easier to store! :lol

Hey Shadow5!!! How have you been? Are you coming to Chicago anytime soon?

I just saw that on Dark Horse about the free digital copy! Very cool! I'm hoping to hit a nearby store tomorrow and grab a copy. Would love to try out a digital version to see the difference.

Sounds like Wood is coming to C2E2, so I can use the print version to get signed after I read it! :lol

Btw, thanks for starting this thread and giving everyone a heads up Shadow5!

Hey, gibby! No plans on going to Chicago anytime soon, although I'd love to. It's one of my favorite places to go. I'm a big fan of Brian Wood, but still haven't met him yet.

Wait, this is by Brian Wood of DMZ fame? One of my favorites. Got hooked when he gave away copies of the first issue at Wondercon years ago. Also, Local! Wow!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Tag. Think I'll wait for trades though. I'm trying to jettison 5000 comics still...

Hey, gibby! No plans on going to Chicago anytime soon, although I'd love to. It's one of my favorite places to go. I'm a big fan of Brian Wood, but still haven't met him yet.

You ever get back here and need a place to stay, just let me know.

I'm trying to jettison 5000 comics still...

:lol Now that's a lot of selling.

You ever get back here and need a place to stay, just let me know.

Thanks, gibby! Awfully kind of you. I might take you up on that one day!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Tag. Think I'll wait for trades though. I'm trying to jettison 5000 comics still...

My pleasure! I'm sure I'll be in here month after month talking about the latest issue. It's a book I've been looking forward to for a long time.

Picked up two copies of the first edition from a local shop! :yess:

Haven't had a chance to read them, though. :(

What are ya waiting for?!? :impatient: ;) :lol

:lol

I gotta download the digital (hopefully tonight). I'm saving these two for C2E2. :yess:

Nice! Glad you found yourself a copy. #2 hits next Wed (the 13th).

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up! :hi5:

I saw they scheduled a 2nd and 3rd printing. Is it normal for it to hit additional prints? The store I was at had at least 10 sitting on the shelf. Just curious as it's been awhile since I've picked up a comic. :lol

Back