Is 3D dying ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current 3D is just an unperfected tech. It's a hell of a lot better than it was but not enough to become an every household occurance.

Once you can have 3D without glasses and without headaches then it'll be a mainstay

3D is a cyclical fad. People get bored with it, it dies out for a couple of decades and then comes back.

I know some of the big names are working on a way to have 3D at home without the need for glasses. I'd like to see that happen at a price that won't rape my wallet.

DYING!?

quick, hand me the pillow!!!

img_1430.jpg

As long as theaters continue to give viewers the option of viewing movies in 2D, I don't care if 3D comes or goes. I enjoyed seeing animated movies in 3D over the past several years, but I tend to steer clear of live-action ones. Honestly I was much more impressed with seeing things on an IMAX screen myself. I'd like to see more and more films shot in that format.

3D is a cyclical fad. People get bored with it, it dies out for a couple of decades and then comes back.
Yeah, sorta like Treasure Trolls. They'll pop up once every handful of years, have a surge of popularity, then folks will get bored with the gimmick and move on to the next thing. Doesn't matter to me if it is or not, so long as I'm not forced to see movies that way. After seeing Alice in Wonderland (Burton) and getting a huge migraine because of it with no real benefit, I won't pay for another 3-D movie experience if I can help it.

But Alice in Wonderland wasn't true 3D, it was done in post. Last 3D movie I saw was Dredd and that was ok. People rubbish Avatar a lot here, but I thought the visuals were great.

But Alice in Wonderland wasn't true 3D, it was done in post.

So are the majority of movies released in 3D in the theater. The majority of films in 3D look that bad.

Last 3D movie I saw was Dredd and that was ok. People rubbish Avatar a lot here, but I thought the visuals were great.

Cool 3D doesn't make a bad movie good. I didn't see Avatar in 3D so can't comment on how great the visuals may have looked. I did see Hugo in 3D which I believe was made in that format. It didn't give me a headache, but watching it on Bluray at home didn't make it any less of a movie for me. The story and characters is what is most important. As long as directors/filmmakers don't lose sight of the important elements of film, they can make things in 3D at 48fps all they want so long as they continue to offer the traditional option to audiences. My biggest fear for the future of film is the mainstream audiences continue to gravitate towards these gimmicks and theaters start screening traditional things less. If there's any credence to the OP's claim, it seems that's something I don't need to fear anymore.

Back