Buffy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffy-collector

Super Freak
Reaction score
We need more Buffy figures Sideshow.

How about a chosen buffy,end of days buffy?
OMWF buffy?Wish buffy?Prom buffy.

I would rather have loads of buffy than randon demons and the like.

Bring on the Buffs.

I'd love a Wish buffy, but I don't hold out much hope at this point. I just pray I see a Wesley figure before the sun sets on these lines.

No reason for the "doom and gloom" just look at the fact that Sideshow has announced 3 12" buffy/angel figures in recent months, and followed up the sold out Buffy PF with Spike. No, Buffy'll never sell like LOTR, SW or Marvel, but the line doesn't need to.

Personally I want a Double Meat Palace Buffy and a Buffy-bot and another standard Buffy would be great too.

Surely the people at Sideshow realize that the two human-face Buffys that came with molded hair were among their best sellers. No reason to think another one wouldn't sell too.

I would love a decent Faith, a better Willow, Tara and Vampire Xander. I would love a library enviroment and weapon chest accessory pack. I would be perfectly happy with costume/accessory sets instead of multiple figures.

I think a new, better Buffy would be a big boost for both lines. I don't have a Buffy yet, because the only one you can buy for retail is the awful rooted hair one. That's the main thing preventing me from getting, say, Xander. I have Giles on order but I may cancel him or sell him if there's no new Buffy 12" on the horizon.

ffl1940 said:
No reason for the "doom and gloom" just look at the fact that Sideshow has announced 3 12" buffy/angel figures in recent months, and followed up the sold out Buffy PF with Spike. No, Buffy'll never sell like LOTR, SW or Marvel, but the line doesn't need to.
Also look at the fact that the regular edition Angel still hasn't managed to sell out, nor has Cordelia despite a relatively low edition size and that some of those are now being sold through other online retailers. The PF Spike exclusive also shows no sign of selling out anytime soon. When lines start selling this slowly (Highlander, X-Files, Planet of the Apes), they go away. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I'm just looking at things realistically.

TheObsoleteMan said:
Also look at the fact that the regular edition Angel still hasn't managed to sell out, nor has Cordelia despite a relatively low edition size and that some of those are now being sold through other online retailers. The PF Spike exclusive also shows no sign of selling out anytime soon. When lines start selling this slowly (Highlander, X-Files, Planet of the Apes), they go away. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I'm just looking at things realistically.

Well, I am also a natural pessimist. However, someone else brought up a good point in an earlier thread. Sideshow should be raking in the cash now with the SW and LOTR licenses. Sure, they will put most of their focus on those lines. However, they can afford to make small runs of other niche figures such as Buffy and the Modern Horror's line. I believe, or at least hope, they would do this in thanks to those niche titles that kept them afloat long enough to hit the big times of SW and LOTR.

DouglasMcc said:
Well, I am also a natural pessimist. However, someone else brought up a good point in an earlier thread. Sideshow should be raking in the cash now with the SW and LOTR licenses. Sure, they will put most of their focus on those lines. However, they can afford to make small runs of other niche figures such as Buffy and the Modern Horror's line. I believe, or at least hope, they would do this in thanks to those niche titles that kept them afloat long enough to hit the big times of SW and LOTR.
Sideshow's a business, not a charity. If the stuff ain't selling, they're gonna move on.

At this point I don't know what to think. We've had this discussion countless times. I remain positive. I think we will see some new 12 inch figures next year (Wesley, Fred, Gunn, Illyria, Anya, Anyanka, Tara and Dawn are a need) and a PF Angel. Well, I don't think 1.500 for Cordelia and 750 for a PF Buffy (already sold out) are bad numbers. It's not the 9.000 for Maul, but still sounds good to me. PF Spike hasn't shown signs of selling out soon because it's a really expensive piece and Buffy collectors have a busy season coming soon. I'm sure he will sell out next year, it'll be slow, but it will happen.

If a new Buffy were to be released as a 12 inch figure it would probably sell well and boost the line to a prosperous new era (see? I'm positive:D). My choice would be Buffybot. It's a great representation of Buffy, and yet it's not the same character. It'd be perfect. However, if what the line needs is a new Buffy-Buffy to become the centerpiece of new 12 inch collectors, I think the right choice would be a Chosen Buffy (even though I'm not sure she could come with the scythe since it was already the exclusive accesory for Faith). Well, if getting multiples of popular characters already done helps getting other characters made, such as Anya or Tara, I wouldn't mind buying them, even though I already have the four Buffys and the PF statue coming soon.

I also think that if Sideshow did a sacrifice and re-did Willow (and maybe offer her in a two pack with Tara - OMWF maybe?) would help this line recover its spark. But, really, what are the chances of that happening? :(

Last edited:
I'd support a Buffy-bot but I'm afraid they'd sculpt her with that (intentionally) ridiculous grin. Maybe if they did a normal head as the exclusive. Actually that'd be cool, a new character for the people who already have Buffy, and two characters for the people who don't.

TheObsoleteMan said:
Sideshow's a business, not a charity. If the stuff ain't selling, they're gonna move on.

Yes, but Sideshow is in the collectibles business... a specialty market if ever there was one. Their customers support them because they want the items, not because they NEED the items. Companies that make necessities can function on this profit or pull it mentality. We need their products, so we will usually grit our teeth and bare it. However, Sideshow doesn't have this advantage. We can easily shift our disposable income elsewhere. So, Sideshow has to tread lightly and keep the customer happy or risk alienating their small market (and by this, I mean, overall product market.. the majority of the world doesn't collect stuff for fun.. they can barely buy the necessities). So, it would be very much in their best interest to keep these smaller lines alive, as long as they are not losing money on them. Helping someone by making a Wesley here or another Buffy there, could in effect, create a new customer who would buy more stock. It the same logic stores like Wal-Mart and Best Buy use with their weekly DVD sales. When they sell a new DVD for 14.99, they are usually making little to no profit. They do so in order to create store loyalty and to simply get you in the store to spend money.

The collectibles market is very fickle... and Sideshow should know that by now. If they cannot keep their customers content, they will not have those customers. I have a similar problem with Gentle Giant right now. After getting screwed out of a Blackhole Trooper bust, and then Mara Jade and a shocktrooper bust, I have absolutely no faith in their business. If I cannot at least add a Mara at a decent price in the near future, I am done with them. Now, my 300 to 400 a year won't hurt them much. But, I am sure there are many more collectors like me. And 300 to 400 times a couple of 1000 WILL hurt them.

The PF Spike exclusive also shows no sign of selling out anytime soon.

it's impossible for it to "sell out" because Sideshow still hasn't set an edition size!!!!!!

Sideshow has done talking figures with Ermey and Scarface, a talking Buffybot would be fantastic.

“Angel’s lame. His hair grows straight up and he’s bloody stupid!"

(to Willow) "You're recently gay"

" I wanna hurt you. But I can't resist the sinister attraction of your cold and muscular body."

"It wasn't one time. It was lots of times. And lots of different ways. I can make sketches"

"Vampires of the world beware!"

"I don't understand that question. But thank you for asking. You're my friend. And a carpenter."

"Spike! It's Spike. And he's wearing the coat."

"Oh Spike. You're the big bad. You're the BIG bad!"

(to real Buffy) "Say, look at you! You look just like me! We're very pretty."

"(triumphantly) That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo! "

"(smiling adoringly at Spike) Sorry I questioned you, Spike. You know I admire your brain almost as much as your washboard abs. "

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl Yes, we definitely need a talking Buffybot.

Even though Spike hasn't got a size edition set yet, not being on the top ten is actually showing signs that he will not sell out soon, no matter what the edition size is or when is set.

Some of the Buffys mentioned above are among my favorites, so I thought I'd comment on their various pros and cons (as i see them :)):

bffybt.jpg

I want a talking BuffyBot, too, but it might not be pragmatic. As bluesparrow pointed out, the goofy grin is essential to the character but, it's not at all representative of Buffy. I also wonder if the current state of the line would justify the R&D dollars needed to develop it. The sound chip is probably no biggie but, assuming SC only has likeness rights, could the additional cost involved to negotiate and secure voice rights be justified? Still, if produced today, it could generate some real buzz.

wvb.jpg

Buffy from The Wish ranks among the top three on my must-have list. Lot's of pros: A simple costume; the existing head sculpt could be easily modified; it's a figure from a fan-favorite episode; it would complement Vampire Willow and The Master and, possibly, make an Anyanka and Vampire Xander more viable. The positives seem to out-weigh the negatives here, and I think it could be cost-efficient to produce.

pb.jpg

Ditto Primeval Buffy. Head sculpt can be reused; simple costume.

dpb.jpg

Doublemeat Buffy's main con may be the costume. Lot's of little details like the chicken buttons on the blouse and, I would imagine getting the cap screen-accurate would take some work. Additionally, it's from an episode most fans revile. Still, she's awfully cute in that get-up.

Regarding a "standard" or "generic" Buffy, I would again stick to a look that can reuse the existing head sculpt and employs a relatively simple costume, in order to keep costs down. I always liked the short black leather jacket, black tank top, red leather pants, and black boots that Buffy wore during her smackdown with Faith at the end of Graduation Day, Pt 1. SMG wore the top and pants during a well-known promotional photo shoot, so it's a look familiar to a lot of people. In fact, the in-stock items page of the Buffy section of Sideshow's site, uses one of the images from that very session. I think this one would be a winner:

bffyrdblkan1.jpg
bffyblkjcktwp6.jpg

I've also always been fond of this outfit from Welcome to the Hellmouth:

bffywtthfy4.jpg

Simple, and that turquoise blue is a great color for her, although the look is a bit too close to Vampire Buffy's duds. On the plus side, if Sideshow smiled down and bestowed upon me another season one Buffy with sculpted upswept hair, styled as in the previous photo, above, I would buy at least a couple of extras to redress in Prophecy Girl Buffy's clothes. (Btw, am I the only one who thinks the regular edition PG should have had sculpted hair and the exclusive, rooted? At least we would have had a choice.)

Chosen Buffy would be cool, but the costuming is a bit more ambitious and there's the problem with the scythe. I like the outfit she sported during her final confrontation with Caleb:

bffychsnsd8.jpg

And, I'd really, really like Buffy from Anne.

bffyannejr1.jpg

I'd love to know how many more PG Buffys remain in inventory — it would make it a lot easier to handicap the odds of ever seeing a new Buffy in any flavor...

I don't think voice rights would be a problem. They can use sound clips from the show - "likeness" rights don't extend to clips from a show IIRC.

The main problem would be developing a female body wired for sound. They've used the male body but haven't done a female.

I'd buy all these Buffies and more. I hated the episode of DMP, but the outfit is very cute.

DouglasMcc said:
Sideshow should be raking in the cash now with the SW and LOTR licenses. Sure, they will put most of their focus on those lines. However, they can afford to make small runs of other niche figures such as Buffy and the Modern Horror's line.

Agreed. I am a huge fan of the Star Wars movies but I don't collect the Star Wars figures. I have only bought one and that is the Comic Con Sith Anakin. But I buy the heck out of Buffy and Angel figures. Of course Sideshow is gonna make a bundle off of Star Wars and LOTR and since they are I don't think they are losing money on the smaller lines. I would guess the smaller lines more than pay for themselves and in the end mean more customers for Sideshow all the way around.

While i love the idea of a 'the wish' buffy, i absolutely despise exposed joints, so i'd much prefer a 'chosen' buffy (with scythe of course).

A 'primeval' buffster would rock too.

Back