Scared of Sideshow's policies sometimes....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anton Phibes

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have noticed something about Sideshow. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not bashing. I am not whining, I am merely stating an observation. Humor me a minute. I have noticed a really bad habit.

Here goes: if a line doesn't sell all that well, or starts to wane a little, it seems that Sideshow kind of says "Well, lets cut our losses, we have covered most of the bases with said line. Let's move on."

Universal Monsters 12" line. Quite an extensive run of figures produced. I cannot really complain with this line. Usually with a set of figures in the past, sets would be rounded out to include all the main characters. Which the 12"'s have. I am pretty sure we have seen the last of 12" Monsters. I would've liked Ygor and others. But I think they are done. But we still have 1;1 busts and pf's right?

Yet the "talk" around the message boards and at last few con gatherings was that Sideshow is less than thrilled at the response they have gotten from the 1:1 bust line. Word also has it that the Creature 1/4 PF is rumor only. Look at the amounts produced on the PF's. 1100 Frankenstein and Dracula. Then down to 600 on Wolfman. Now 350 for Mummy. I also think it would be silly to have a line of busts that only is comprised of Ardeth Bey and Dracula. Also, while 7 may be a lucky number...its silly to end a line of PF's at such an odd increment, and without covering all the major players. THIS IS A FEAR OF MINE. That they will simply move on. I realize all of this is rumor and nothing is confirmed as Sideshow says "no line ever truly dies" (ahem...Van Helsing anyone?). But let's examine the lines I am familiar with:

Star Trek: the Original Series.

PF figures. We get Kirk and Spock and thats it. Surely McCoy warranted a figure, maybe even Scotty? But the line stops at 2. Then they move on to 7of9??????

Busts: 7 characters. We get Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty and...some aliens? What about Uhura, Sulu, and Chekov?

Now again...please do not think I am complaining. I am grateful for what they have done. The stuff rocks. Sometimes I just wish they would round things out a bit more. I am trying to get the logic of all of this. Their policies scare me sometimes.

X-Files:
no announcemnets and Skinner and Krycek limited to only 500. Are all the bases covered here? It could be argued that all of the really major players are covered. Yet what about Reyes, the Lone Gunmen or X or Deep Throat or any Aliens?

Planet of the Apes: I am happy with what I have, but I know plenty of ape fans that are less than thrilled that they quit. But surely some could argue that it couldve gone on for a loooooong time.

So, has anyone else noticed this?

Does anyone else fear that their fave line may "peter out" before their favorite character sees production?

I am sure that many of you who have read my posts in the past are probably thinking I am really "doom and gloom" always fearing the worse for my beloved Monsters. But I really want to see a PF Creature (at least) before they hang it up. The 1;1 line would be great if it had at least 4 characters attached to it. Frankenstein and Wolfman at least. I guess my fear is that they will simply end up like the polystone Uni monsters statues and just be left undone.

HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING POSITIVE ON THE UNI-MONSTERS? OR X-FILES? OR DARE I SAY IT STAR TREK THE ORIGINAL SERIES FUTURES AT SSC? Thanks and chime in. Please refrain from the throwing of objects.

Makes perfect sense to me. The company's gotta make money. They're not gonna invest in a figure if it's not gonna sell. And their responsibility to the collector (if such even exists, really) only goes so far.

*cough* Medieval Kurgan/Highlander *cough* * cough*

But seriously, If thier not making money, they have no reason to continue a line....did I just say that:cool:

King Darkness said:
*cough* Medieval Kurgan/Highlander *cough* * cough*

But seriously, If thier not making money, they have no reason to continue a line....did I just say that:cool:

True....I agree as well.... But I think that some smarter character choices could have improved several lines and kept things going a little longer..... *cough* Kurgan *cough*...But still.... :D

Yeah, I have to agree. This is a trend you'll find in most any business, at least those that want to stay in business. In order to be successfull you have to offer what is going to sell the best and make money. Sure you can take risk sometimes and offer not so popular items with lower runs, but if they don't sell well it's time to pick up and move on.

It is indeed a very sad thing when a line we like does not get the full treatment of all its characters. Being a huge Trek fan it saddens me our fan base is not as rabidly insane as the Star Wars fans. If we were the line would have continued, especially in this the 40th anniversary year. I would have liked the entire TOS bridge crew in PF. I wonder if the impending new movie has put a crimp in Sideshows future plans?

It all comes down to the dollars. Large fan bases win out and they should.

I'd really love to see an alien bounty hunter in the X-Files line. Among other things. :D I am hoping when the movie finally arrives we'll see more interest from sideshow and collectors in this line.

I would love to see all the lines we love to continue but I know that is not possible after all this is a business. It would be nice if SS would have a poll like they did with the SW EU figure and let us decide the next figure in a line or do an inclusive edition of these figures to see what kind of intrest they spark.

I don't think that the X-Files line is dead. Both exclusives sold out (albeit taking a little longer than a Star Wars exc.) and I think that an edition size of 500 is small enough for them not to get too stung if no-one buys it and big enough to make a profit if they sell.

I'm not too sure that Reyes would sell even that number though.

Lone Gunmen I think are viable choices for an extension of the line and maybe a new Mulder in his Tan Workboots, Jeans & Black Leather Jacket.

If it were my company I certainly wouldn't make something that wasn't going to make money just because a few people "said" they would buy it. Dissapointed people be damned it's all about

SHOW ME THE MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Jesse

It seems like I was asking around 6-8 months ago about the Star Trek line and it seems that is pretty much dead. When they pulled it off the featured categories menu on the left side of the screen, that seemed like the final nail in the coffin.

Not to say it would NEVER come back, I was told.

Anton Phibes said:
...Star Trek: the Original Series.
PF figures. We get Kirk and Spock and thats it. Surely McCoy warranted a figure, maybe even Scotty? But the line stops at 2. Then they move on to 7of9??????

For the record, I had Kirk and Spock but had to let them go. However, I will not let 7 of 9 go. That being said, I don't know if McCoy or Scotty would have sold that well. Although I personally would have bought Scotty. I probably wouldn't have let Kirk and Spock go if Scotty and Bones were also made.

Busts: 7 characters. We get Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty and...some aliens? What about Uhura, Sulu, and Chekov?

I have only Scotty and the Gorn because they were my two favorite characters. I had an easy opportunity to get all of them but I passed for this reason. I wanted the entire main crew including Uhura, Sulu and Checkov. If I knew we were getting them, I would have bought all the other busts.

But I really want to see a PF Creature (at least) before they hang it up.

Tell me about it. I want a good PF Creature bad!

Sideshow says "no line ever truly dies" (ahem...Van Helsing anyone?)

True, I never got an Anna Valerious PF. :(

I believe a Henry Frankenstien and an Ygor with an edition size of 600 would sell out.

Oh and Jesse a co worker of mine is dying to know who is in your avatar he had me send the image to his cell phone.:rotfl

kain4521 said:
I believe a Henry Frankenstien and an Ygor with an edition size of 600 would sell out.

Oh and Jesse a co worker of mine is dying to know who is in your avatar he had me send the image to his cell phone.:rotfl

Just Google Christina Model.......... enjoy :drool

Jesse

There are so many similar type companies that went under because they kept producing items that people weren't willing to buy at full retail prices. I'm very disappointed at a lot of lines that are less than complete, but you can't really expect a company to devote resources to produce product that doesn't generate a profit.

Darklord Dave said:
There are so many similar type companies that went under because they kept producing items that people weren't willing to buy at full retail prices. I'm very disappointed at a lot of lines that are less than complete, but you can't really expect a company to devote resources to produce product that doesn't generate a profit.

Bingo! :rolleyes:

Its sad but true, even though we may love and need a character **cough-cough... Medieval Kurgan... cough-cough*** you can't blame Sideshow for being cautious with releases (not that Phibes is doing that).

I'd sadly rather have holes in my collection than not have Sideshow.

Back