Open air display or in a glass cabinet?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
At my old place I displayed my statues behind glass. Now at my new place they are right on my dresser and desk.

I think the open air display is a lot better. First off you can see them up close and better. And second, putting them behind glass is just wrong for the type of art they are. They are three demensional statues and with an open air display they can be viewed from many angles.

What are your thoughts and what do you do?

There is no doubt to me that open air is the best way to display. If you can deal with the dust and cleaning more often than it's not a big deal. Smoke? Pets? To me that's what really hurts them the most. I know direct sun can but have never had that problem. I have some items on a shelf and some in a Besta.

I prefer enclosed cabinets with glass doors. I stil lhave some of my 1:1 helmets on top of cabinets, on open air but for ingtricate statues, props or figures a cabinet or a case would be the best option.

For dusting use the Giottos rocket: https://www.giottos.com/Rocket-air.htm

High humidity, dust, direct sunlight, smoke, pets are not very good for collectibles.

All my collection is open to air, but whenever I get around to remodeling my basement movie room, Im thinking of adding a glass display cabinet into one of the walls around the TV or something so they are all behind glass, but I dont see that happening in the near future.

Actually having lived in Europe in my early childhood dust was less of an issue. These days I see dust settling in a day or two but back then using radiating heaters instead of forced air and no AC and I assume better air quality where I used to live I would not see dust for weeks.
enclosing my collection is what has to be done now and where I live and in this friggid cold north humidifying is key as dryness will kill our collection just the same

Back