Django Unchained

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfan08

Super Freak
Reaction score
Fully adapted from Tarantino's screenplay, Vertigo's "Django Unchained" is arguably the most definitive version of the material that you'll find. With art by R.M. Guéra (Scalped), this is one that you won't want to miss. Issue #1 of the six-issue mini came out today, and it retails for $3.99. I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it.

Quite a few, actually. It's a Vertigo book, though, so it definitely shouldn't be in the hands of minors.:lol

From what I hear, Django is beyond offensive in that regard. Not sure what to think. 109 n-bombs. Eh.....

Well, to be fair, it does take place in a pre-Civil War South, and I'm sure that a lot of the racists get their just desserts.

Oh, I know. But from my favorite black critics, they claimed it to be beyond offensive. Reading the script now. So kinda the same thing as the graphic novel, just minus the pictures.

Yeah, it's not for the faint of heart, but, overall, it seems kind of like a different word in the context. I mean, we associate it with hate and bigotry, and that's not to say it wasn't the same back then, but it seemed more like an adjective to describe their positions, rather than the people themselves. At one point, Waltz's Dr. King Shultz refers to Django as a "field 'n'," but, at the same time, he despises the idea of slavery. T'is all in interpretation, my friend.

Yeah, but i'm not black, so it's hard for me to truly say if it's offensive or not.

I'm at the night Bar scene. Where the Marshall is holding up Django and Schultz.

Well, it might be a bit more complicated then that. But I'm going to wait until it's released. I just don't want this to be that 'If you like this movie, you're racist" thing.

But I'm diggin this script. I don't think i've ever read a QT script before. It's interesting.

Who cares if there are? There are always going to be idiots, and, if someone is going to judge you based on a movie (particularly, one which has been praised by the likes of the NAACP and others), (s)he can take his/her ignorant opinion and shove it.

I'm not referring to anyone specifically, but, mainly, to the general "if you like this, you're a racist" statement.

Yeah, but Tarantino has used that word many times in his "contemporary" movies previously. He obviously loves black culture and blaxploitation films, and this seems to be a reference to that, but some do find it offensive (I know Spike Lee did).

Who cares if there are? There are always going to be idiots, and, if someone is going to judge you based on a movie (particularly, one which has been praised by the likes of the NAACP and others), (s)he can take his/her ignorant opinion and shove it.

I can't agree or disagree since I don't know what it feels like.

Well, it might be a bit more complicated then that. But I'm going to wait until it's released. I just don't want this to be that 'If you like this movie, you're racist" thing.

But I'm diggin this script. I don't think i've ever read a QT script before. It's interesting.

If that's what they want to think then that's up to them but I don't give a s__t!!!

I know I am no racist but I know I am gunna love this movie!!!

Tarantino seems to be the furthest thing from a racist, so that argument just doesn't fly. What I can get is some feeling that the word is simply offensive and shouldn't be used, which is really a different thing. But Tarantino is an artist who chooses to represent ideas in a certain way, and if folks don't like it they can voice disapproval with their words and their wallets.

That's why it's bothering me. I know QT's flicks well enough, I know what he does, and why he does it. It just seems...unerving to hear such a thing from people. So i'm worried. That's all. I'm sure it'll be brought up during the Django film thread.

Anyway, the artwork for this looks kinda cool. I like it. I might pick it up after the flick if I like it or not.

Back