Action Figure P1 HS for HT Classic Body - Video added to p. 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph_Sutter

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of creating an accurate P1 headsculpt to be used with the HT Classic's body (for those of us who'd like to convert the classic into P1).

Here is the current progress (all still in 3D):
Pred_HS.jpg

Pred_Full_Color_Test1.jpg

Pred_Full_color_2.jpg

Final output:
Final_Output.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Jm5MHUAlE&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Interest thread is here:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119659

Your feedback and critiques are highly appreciated at this stage! :)

Hope you like him so far!

- Ralph

Last edited:
Re: P1 HS for HT Classic Body

I had my doubts about this when I saw the first images. Thought a character like this would be better-done by hand, but WOW. I'm glad to be proven wrong, this model turned out looking sick!

That Scott Marshall P1 mask of yours was a big help I bet. :)

Thanks so much guys!

@ Blade: I'm super glad you like him! And absolutely, having Scott's head as reference was a major help :) P1's likeness is so unique, and changes quite a bit depending on Predator's facial expressions. It's really hard to capture his likeness. But I definitely think I got it nice and close :)

Video coming soon!

Will these have interchangeable mandibles or will you be offering two sculpts one with open and one with closed mandibles? I would prefer that they weren't interchangeable and that you instead done two separate sculpts just so they would be a bit more realistic in not having the seam lines as the hot toys sculpts do, but I do understand that from a painters point of view the mandibles on a closed mouth sculpt need to be removable so that they could actually get into that area to paint it ...also would the dreads be sculpted too, how will that be tackled???

Hey Calcifer,

The heads will be entirely seperate. As of right now, I will be offering the one above, and I plan on creating an semi open mouth, a full open mouth, and a "I just got punched by Arnold" sculpt in the future.

The dreads will be made using silicone compound and will be glued to the HS. I am taking the length of them into account, so the HS has actual holes for the dreads to be stuck into.

In addition, my dreadrings will be resin VS the HT dreadring which are painted onto rubber (causing some severe fading after touching them too often).

Hey Calcifer,

The heads will be entirely seperate. As of right now, I will be offering the one above, and I plan on creating an semi open mouth, a full open mouth, and a "I just got punched by Arnold" sculpt in the future.

The dreads will be made using silicone compound and will be glued to the HS. I am taking the length of them into account, so the HS has actual holes for the dreads to be stuck into.

In addition, my dreadrings will be resin VS the HT dreadring which are painted onto rubber (causing some severe fading after touching them too often).

Awesome! your really going all out, I assume these will have the quills too?

Awesome! your really going all out, I assume these will have the quills too?

@ Calcifer: Yep :) That's another plus of not having to worry about the bio having to fit on this head (might do a seperate version with an attached/molded screen accurate bio).

O man, this keep getting better. To have another option besides the baloo bio would be nice, since that's moving at a snails pace.
Calcified does bring up a good point about painting the inside of the mouth on the closed version, what are your thoughts on that Ralph?

It'll be tedious, but it can be done and should be fine :) I left it a little wider (than what his actual neutral expression would be) to allow for painting.

Alright guys, before I go to sleep I wanted to share a quick image of the video that is rendering:
Final_Output.jpg

This video'll portray the final output quality of a painted, dreaded (without dreadrings) sculpt. I hope you like it!

The actual video should be ready tomorrow!

- R.

Thanks Greygoose! I'm glad you like him! I definitely need more interest in order for it to get fully realized though :( As of right now, I only have 3 people.

I know the holidays were probably a bad time to offer this :p

Hey guys,

I wanted to give you another little update while the video renders. I am starting to work on the first facial expression (I will be doing 3, so once all 3 are done, please specify which expression you want; I've also updated the interest list in the interest thread).

Here's the first expression:
FacialExpression1.jpg

The second one will be a full open mouth, pre-Dutch, roar. The last will either be a more closed mandible(s) neutral expression, or the "Dutch just punched me and broke my upper right mandible..." - neutral :p

So just to clarify, the video I'll be posting later on tonight/early tomorrow shows you how the final HS will look quality-wise and over the next few weeks I'll be creating his actual expressions. The expression in the video is essentially the headshape that I'll be creating all of the final expressions. I hope you guys like the first one!

@ greygoose: I'm glad you are excited by that one! :)

As of right now they'll be unpainted kits. However, I'll include images that will help people paint them appropriately (in terms of spotting and color, etc.)

Hope you don't mind me saying but the inner mouth should be more closed when the mandibles are closed.:)

Actually, yeah. This would also get rid of the gaunt look that others have brought up in your customs thread; if you close the inner jaws a little more, the mandibles won't be stretched as much vertically.

9e7688a0_39e86c84_Predator+008.jpg

This also means tucking the lower mandible teeth inward towards the mouth, as the picture above shows. Your sculpting is perfect, it's just the posing that will help it all come together.

Thanks for the feedback guys :) I tried explaining it in post #14. The fancy rendered one is more of a mock facial expression that will allow me to repose all of the other ones with too many issues (like the new actual facial expression I have up in post 14).

I did it like this because if I move the inner mouth too close together to begin with, I'd have to resculpt the throat for the open mouth :) Hope that makes sense ;) I've got this covered :D

As promised, here's the rendered video! :)

Please watch in HD :D
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Jm5MHUAlE&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Back