What's the Problem with Magneto Comiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you buying Magneto?

• Already ordered

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Pass for me

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • Still not decided

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

gambit

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am a comic reader for years and I am so happy that Sideshow is producing great items for me to collect. What I am suprised is, sometimes it takes so long for a comic item to sold out and this worries me due to risk that SS will stop producing comic items. I want SS to continue the x-men line (and hopefully make a very dynamic gambit comiquette in time :) ) but as stated I am afraid, one day SS would close the marvel line due to low sales will not satisfy them.

Magneto comiquette as an example is very dynamic, huge and fair priced but although there are only 500 exclusives worldwide, it is still not sold out. I really wonder what is the reason behind this. Do people not like the pose? Do people find it expensive? Is it the exclusive ? what is it? Are you buying and if not, why? What's your opinion on this.

I have already placed my order, but may have to cancel due to lack of space. If I had the place I will defnitely get it. If it is in diorama dimension, i will keep it.

IMO, the reason why people are not interested is because of money and selective style. Lots of the collectors, I find, are into statues that represent the comic book and by whom the sculptor based the statue upon. Some prefer Jim Lee, while some prefer ____...

The cape is the biggest problem for me. It's way too long and all twisted and bunched up. This is Magneto, not Spawn. Not too fond of the unhelmeted headsculpt either. I actually like the pose itself, I just wish they could have found a better way to execute it.

I like it, and found it looked even better in person. I just have to keep my Marvel purchases limited to the VS. dioramas. I enjoy the Marvel items, but I primarily collect Star Wars and that doesn't leave me with a lot of space (or money) to devote to the Marvel PFs or comiquettes.

Looks GREAT in person.. Dymamic piece.. Will go GREAT w/ Wolvie...

The cape is one of the best parts of this piece IMO..

My order is IN..

*smells finger*

FYI DOOM and IRON MAN took a while to sell out.. Look at them now..

Last edited:
Looks cool...granny panties and all...just doesnt fit into my collection...so I am a pass, but the sculpt is sweet.

While the production pics in the weblog look nice, the paint job is sorely lacking on this piece.

I am not fond of the mouth, or the nameplate ... both sealed it for me.

I had to cancel mine, as I did the other comiquettes. I realized, "Oh wait, I need to pay rent don't I?" I saw no reason keeping Magnus if I'm not going to be getting Wolverine or Tony right now.

For the record I love all 3 of the comiquettes so far. So, it's a little sad. But I'll be happier with a roof over my head.

:chew

EDIT: Yeah.... the mouth is a little funky. I don't like the mouth on Magnus either. Nor do I like the nameplate. The others don't have a friggin' nameplate. Sheesh.

I just don't like the face....it ruins the piece for me. And if I dislike one aspect enough; I don't order.

IMO, it is lacking something. Perhaps some type of energy blast coming off his hands like:

Magneto.gif

...and/or..the base could have been done better like add more elements of steel like: (disregard HULK)

hulk-lithograph-dale-keown.jpg

Too me, the statue does not tell me he controls the element steel. He is just hovering there. This is why I think it is a weak statue. The sculpt and everthing else is awesome. Fantastic job again to Pablo, but again...it is lacking something.

The piece just does not have that Magneto "look" to it. He looks ok but not powerful like he should...it is just lacking.

This is one where Bowen's Magneto looks a lot better.

The cape is also far too long.

well they use the cape for the hovering effect so i can let that slide. i think it looks okay using the cape like that. not accurate but kinda artsy

Bowen Magneto:

magneto.jpg

Sideshow Magneto:

7175_press02-001.jpg

IMO, these both lack something. They both tell me nothing about the character except that he likes to extend his right arm :eek: From the two, I would still pick SS because he at least looks like he is hovering. But, his cape look too much is going-on on that cape. His cape does not swirl around like that: (check pic)

190px-Magneto.png

Notice how his cape looks more relax. The cape tells a lot about him. It tells the reader that this character is confident. He has nothing to worry about anything or anyone getting in his way because he knows he is powerful. Just my thought. :eek:

TOE said:
IMO, these both lack something. They both tell me nothing about the character except that he likes to extend his right arm :eek: From the two, I would still pick SS because he at least looks like he is hovering. But, his cape look too much is going-on on that cape. His cape does not swirl around like that: (check pic)

190px-Magneto.png

Notice how his cape looks more relax. The cape tells a lot about him. It tells the reader that this character is confident. He has nothing to worry about anything or anyone getting in his way because he knows he is powerful. Just my thought. :eek:

well said,
actually I know the cape in SS is a little exageratted but still it is full of art.
In Bowen he looks more cool and powerful by the way imo

actually if Sideshow would have make the pose you posted in this picture and added 2 white leds to his hands in the exclusive version and put some metal around the base, then it would be an awesome definite sculpture.

regardless, I love magneto from the Jim lee comics and I did not have time to buy the bowen magneto before. (they are not sending to Turkey, :monkey4 ) considering SS magneto is HUGE, fair priced and 500 limited, I do not see a reason why people is not ordering him at all.

Another point I never understand is the name plate. What is with the nameplate?
why it disturbs people so much if it is written Magneto or not?

If SS can give their Magneto a cape more like Bowen's I will be really happy. The nameplate never bothers me. I look at the figure more than the nameplate. Also, it can be covered with something. Be creative people. :rolleyes:

Gruson said:
The piece just does not have that Magneto "look" to it. He looks ok but not powerful like he should...it is just lacking.

This is one where Bowen's Magneto looks a lot better.

The cape is also far too long.

Gru summed it up, terrible facial expression (lower jaw), Cape looks like a drape. EXCEPT The Bowen Magneto has a terrible face as well.

I really like the SS Magneto.. I hope Im the only one that buys it.

Heh, Maybe they'll turn the ES into 1/1 just for you. ;P

I agree the piece is full artistic interpretation but that's what Sideshow is all about. If you want a straight up sculpt then Bowen is what to look for. I'm not saying Bowen doesn't have any art value or that you should not look for a certain level of accuracyin Sideshow. All I am saying is that for every artistic hit like the Doom PF there will be other artistic pieces like Magneto where the style may be more dominant than the accuracy.

Is this case, the stylish cape (and the name plate) is a deal breaker for a lot of folks which reflects in the so-so sales so far.

Back