frames to display comic books?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

former member DFtM

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've begun researching framing comic books for display and found that most of the products on the market are hugely expensive for a pretty bad/cheap final product look. (The frame itself).

Have any of you guys experimented with framing your comics for display? If so, any ideas or advice or pics of your final product? Would love to get some ideas or inspiration.

I know i could probably buy a cheap photo frame or certificate frame and chuck the comic in that in mylar with a black card backing or some such.. but anyone actually done this? or an alternative?

I help out at a comic shop in Houston, TX and we just started carrying(and are the distributor for) frames designated for raw comics and slabbed comics (so they are made!...haha). The slabbed comic frames sell for $19.99 and the raw comic frames are still being made and when they come in they are supposed to sell for around $15ish
They come in a bunch of different colors.
example of red cgc frame:

408067_10151074405136362_1972273363_n

Ofcourse, another cheap route which I have used before these frames were made was getting an 8.5x11 frame, use a black sheet as backing paper, and center the comic (using a bag and board) on the sheet, kinda like a floating mat. not the best option, but it works for now:

2012-11-26 00.55.32

Last edited:
Some simple displays I've made in the past for my comics. Maybe it'll give you a few ideas.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thank you for your responses guys!! I really like the look of both the picture frame version and the displays with figures.

Can I ask how you made the ones pictured here:

picture.php

They look particularly good and would really suit what I had in mind.

Thank you for your responses guys!! I really like the look of both the picture frame version and the displays with figures.

Can I ask how you made the ones pictured here:

picture.php

They look particularly good and would really suit what I had in mind.

They are on a 1/4" plywood backer and the upper an lower rails have a slot cut in them to hold the rigid mylar slipcase in place. The back has a simple sawtooth picture frame hanger nailed on to hang them on the wall. Very easy to change out comics whenever you want.

They are on a 1/4" plywood backer and the upper an lower rails have a slot cut in them to hold the rigid mylar slipcase in place. The back has a simple sawtooth picture frame hanger nailed on to hang them on the wall. Very easy to change out comics whenever you want.

Oh yeah. I think I'm going to have to get my tool belt out - they're fantastic!! Thanks SO MUCH for the detail.

Will have to try to find some rigid mylar bags. (Or are all mylar bags rigid?)

I currently have comics bagged and boarded.. but not mylar - so I was going to look into this via eBay.

Back