PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire HD good for digital comics?

Duck
11-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Hey so Christmas is coming up and I have been thinking about asking for a Kindle Fire HD. I hear the Comixology app is already installed when you receive it? I really don't know much about tablets so If anyone has any suggestions Im all ears. The reason I'm not going for the Ipad is because of the price. I'm looking for something in the 150-200 range. Thanks!

smc100
11-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I don't own a Kindle but I did have an HP tablet for a short time when they were on sale and reading digital comics on it was the only thing I liked using it for.

If it has pinch and zoom capibilities then it should work fine.

gdb
11-28-2012, 04:15 AM
I've only used the iPad but reading and storing comics via the ComiXolgy app is the best way to experience them! (IMHO)

Duck
11-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Yeah I haven't ever used the comixology app. I have checked out their site just to see what they carry and its pretty much everything. I just need to start getting them digitally running out of room and figured this is probably the best way to go.

BuffyGirl
11-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I bought the Kindle Fire HD (32gig) but wont be opening it till Christmas, so I am afraid I am no help. I have heard nothing but great things about it, though.

Duck
11-28-2012, 09:17 AM
I bought the Kindle Fire HD (32gig) but wont be opening it till Christmas, so I am afraid I am no help. I have heard nothing but great things about it, though.

Yeah I've heard great things about them. My girlfriend has a nook color and loves it, but I think the kindle would be better for comics

BuffyGirl
11-28-2012, 05:36 PM
What a mess with my order. It got 'lost' in the mail so they needed to replace the order. Then it got delayed and I figured it was due to low inventory on the kindle. I was frustrated so I contacted them and was told it was actually a bluray I had on order that was the delay. So they had to remove that from the order. They expedited both my Kindle (will be here Friday) and the bluray (delayed so dunno when). That was great and all, but I also had to contact them about the Ninja Turtle's bluray I had on order. I ordered it and it wasn't in stock, then it came in stock and my friend who ordered later than me received his, yada, yada. What a mess. They expedited that for me too. Can't say I'm not happy with the service, but still, headache!

Duck
11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
What a mess with my order. It got 'lost' in the mail so they needed to replace the order. Then it got delayed and I figured it was due to low inventory on the kindle. I was frustrated so I contacted them and was told it was actually a bluray I had on order that was the delay. So they had to remove that from the order. They expedited both my Kindle (will be here Friday) and the bluray (delayed so dunno when). That was great and all, but I also had to contact them about the Ninja Turtle's bluray I had on order. I ordered it and it wasn't in stock, then it came in stock and my friend who ordered later than me received his, yada, yada. What a mess. They expedited that for me too. Can't say I'm not happy with the service, but still, headache!

That sucks! sorry to hear that. Sounds like a complete mess. I've been pretty lucky with Amazon and haven't had any trouble so far, but I tend to just order one thing at a time because I was always worried something like this would happen I dont know Im just weird like that :lol

gdb
11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
That sucks! sorry to hear that. Sounds like a complete mess. I've been pretty lucky with Amazon and haven't had any trouble so far, but I tend to just order one thing at a time because I was always worried something like this would happen I dont know Im just weird like that :lol

If you do that before they ship they will proactively marry the items into one shipment (whenever they can) for you. Amazon is sneaky like that.

Duck
11-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Damn those sneaky people! I forgot they combined orders like that. Luckily from what I have heard the customer service is pretty good at least compared to most companies.

ChunkyZergling
11-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Kindle fire screen mas pequeno

BuffyGirl
12-01-2012, 12:32 AM
My Kindle arrived and I had to try it out. Wow, what a beauty. Crisp colors and great features. So far I am 100% happy.

Duck
12-01-2012, 12:42 AM
My Kindle arrived and I had to try it out. Wow, what a beauty. Crisp colors and great features. So far I am 100% happy.

Thank you! Have you possibly tried out the Comixology app? I'm really curious how the comics look on it. I'm sure beautiful

BuffyGirl
12-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Thank you! Have you possibly tried out the Comixology app? I'm really curious how the comics look on it. I'm sure beautiful

Let me see what I can do but my gosh this thing displays some beautiful color. You should see hd movies on it. Wow.

BuffyGirl
12-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Just downloaded it and got a free comic to try. If you don't love it, I wont understand why. Fast downloads, clear and beautiful picture. You wont be disappointed.

Duck
12-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Just downloaded it and got a free comic to try. If you don't love it, I wont understand why. Fast downloads, clear and beautiful picture. You wont be disappointed.

Thank you for checking out the app for me! :hi5: I will probably get one now. I'm really excited I don't read a whole lot of novels, but I would love to be able to start reading comics again.

BuffyGirl
12-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Thank you for checking out the app for me! :hi5: I will probably get one now. I'm really excited I don't read a whole lot of novels, but I would love to be able to start reading comics again.

Be sure to get the case for it. You will want it. Also the plug because it only comes with a usb and it is nice to plug it into the wall.

Mister Ski
12-01-2012, 06:21 PM
My Kindle Fire HD will be here on Tuesday. I can't wait to try it out as well as the comics app. :panic:

BuffyGirl
12-01-2012, 06:40 PM
My Kindle Fire HD will be here on Tuesday. I can't wait to try it out as well as the comics app. :panic:

Oooh yay. Be sure to tell us what you think.

Mister Ski
12-01-2012, 06:46 PM

I will. :hi5:

Duck
12-01-2012, 09:14 PM

:exactly::hi5:

Mister Ski
12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Ok. I just got my Kindle Fire HD this afternoon and all I can say is, "Wow!" The display is incredible. Vibrant and sharp picture! Very nice. I don't think I will regret this purchase anytime soon. Now I've got to go find some apps...

If you are thinking about getting this, I highly recommend it.

BuffyGirl
12-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Ok. I just got my Kindle Fire HD this afternoon and all I can say is, "Wow!" The display is incredible. Vibrant and sharp picture! Very nice. I don't think I will regret this purchase anytime soon. Now I've got to go find some apps...

If you are thinking about getting this, I highly recommend it.
I am glad to hear you love it. First movie I tried on it was Rango on the free trial. Awesome

DrQ2
12-24-2012, 07:54 PM
It's ok, if your used to print (like I am) it does take some getting used too. I just don't plan on getting used to it.

Duck
12-24-2012, 08:36 PM
It's ok, if your used to print (like I am) it does take some getting used too. I just don't plan on getting used to it.

I don't have any more room for printed comics :lol That's pretty much the main reason I am looking into getting one. Would love to have all my comics on one device.

DrQ2
12-24-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't have any more room for printed comics :lol That's pretty much the main reason I am looking into getting one. Would love to have all my comics on one device.

I still have about 3,000 that mean something or full runs. I still have the 1st 25 that my grandmother bought me off the news stand.

Where I live you can't buy comics. I did buy a number of star wars about 5 months ago. It just didn't feel the same.

Duck
01-13-2013, 01:49 PM
About to pick one of these up I think. What size did you all end up going with? I want the 7" since it is only $199, but didnt know if that was to small for reading comics and watching movies on.

DrQ2
01-13-2013, 02:28 PM
About to pick one of these up I think. What size did you all end up going with? I want the 7" since it is only $199, but didnt know if that was to small for reading comics and watching movies on.

I have the 1st kindle and the 8.9 with 4G (only for the 64gb). Both are fine. But I drop my comics by usb. Still like paper. But I will always say that.

Duck
01-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Also I have a ton of comics in cbr format is their a way to read those on it as well?

karamazov80
01-14-2013, 08:29 AM
I got a small Kindle for Christmas, and unless there is a zoom feature I suspect it will be a bit small for reading comics. But your mileage may vary.

DrQ2
01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Also I have a ton of comics in cbr format is their a way to read those on it as well?

A application may be. But I use my computer for these. No zoom needed.

BuffyGirl
01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
I have a 7" (32 GB) and I find it just fine for comics. Sometimes I zoom but I haven't had any problems. Each person is different.

smc100
01-14-2013, 10:36 AM

I actually picked up an 8.9 16GB and it works great for cbr files with the app called ComiCat. I actually like it alot better than the tablet I used to have and with the 1920x1200 HD display I have not needed to zoom at all yet. The whole thing is the size of a hardcover book and it very comfortable to hold wherever I am sitting.

Duck
01-14-2013, 11:16 AM
I have a 7" (32 GB) and I find it just fine for comics. Sometimes I zoom but I haven't had any problems. Each person is different.

Glad to hear that! This is going to be mainly use for comics. Least their is a zoom on it. Also isn't their a option in the comixology app to read frame by frame?

BuffyGirl
01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Glad to hear that! This is going to be mainly use for comics. Least their is a zoom on it. Also isn't their a option in the comixology app to read frame by frame?

I believe so...

Duck
01-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Ive been reading on the internet about problems with the Comixology app have any of you all experienced any problems with it? Probably picking one up tommorow! :D

gdb
01-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Ive been reading on the internet about problems with the Comixology app have any of you all experienced any problems with it? Probably picking one up tommorow! :D

I have an iPad 3 and the only problem I've experienced with the app is how quickly I spend my money on comics.

Duck
01-15-2013, 06:08 AM
I have an iPad 3 and the only problem I've experienced with the app is how quickly I spend my money on comics.

I hear it is just for kindle fire. Something about DC comics not showing up? Which doesn't really bother me because I pretty much just read image and some smaller stuff.

BuffyGirl
01-15-2013, 09:14 AM
I hear it is just for kindle fire. Something about DC comics not showing up? Which doesn't really bother me because I pretty much just read image and some smaller stuff.

I personally haven't had that problem. To be honest, each app has a set of problems they go through from time to time. Comixology is not the only comic app available for the kindle. So if you experience issues, you should still be okay.

Duck
01-15-2013, 11:16 AM
I personally haven't had that problem. To be honest, each app has a set of problems they go through from time to time. Comixology is not the only comic app available for the kindle. So if you experience issues, you should still be okay.

Thanks Buffy! Going to try and pick a kindle up today. Depending on how dirty I am after work. I already have a ton of comics and novels I want to read.

smc100
01-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks Buffy! Going to try and pick a kindle up today. Depending on how dirty I am after work. I already have a ton of comics and novels I want to read.

If you have novels they need to be in the mobi format for Kindle to open. I use the free program called calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/ to convert epub or other formats.

Duck
01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
So I ended up picking up a tablet today, but not the Kindle Fire. I picked up the Nexus 7 after reading review after review. My biggest thing I liked on the Nexus is that I am not locked into basically one place to shop for digital books. I can use the Kindle store and as well the B&N store. Haven't checked to make sure for that one. I'm really liking it so far. Downloaded the first Walking Dead comic for free and it looks amazing.

gdb
01-22-2013, 03:58 AM
Congratulations! That was one of the first books I downloaded too.

Duck
01-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Congratulations! That was one of the first books I downloaded too.

I have read it like a million times, but I needed it anyways lol

blue_rogue
02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking about getting a tablet and will likely go with a kindle fire hd or a nexus. I have a couple of questions about Marvel digital comics. Can you buy collected editions or only individual issues? Do they offer subscriptions to save money? Thanks!

Duck
02-14-2013, 10:08 PM
If your deciding between the kindle and Nexus I would go with the Nexus personally. With the kindle I believe you are locked into only being able to buy from the kindle store opposed to on the Nexus you can use both Kindle store and Nook store. As far as collected editions go yes their are books you can buy as the collected edition rather than single issues. Usually results in being cheaper. If you haven't check out http://comicstore.marvel.com/collections that is the list of collected books you can buy for the marvel app. The subscription I'm not sure about. I know their is a marvel subscription but you have to read the comics through a web browser. At least that is what I have read. Also I'm sure you know about www.comixology.com but if you haven't it is a great site for digital comics. If you have any questions about the Nexus let me know and I am sure somebody in this thread would be willing to answer stuff about the kindle as well. Honestly either way you can't go wrong.

DrQ2
02-15-2013, 12:19 AM
If your deciding between the kindle and Nexus I would go with the Nexus personally. With the kindle I believe you are locked into only being able to buy from the kindle store opposed to on the Nexus you can use both Kindle store and Nook store. As far as collected editions go yes their are books you can buy as the collected edition rather than single issues. Usually results in being cheaper. If you haven't check out http://comicstore.marvel.com/collections that is the list of collected books you can buy for the marvel app. The subscription I'm not sure about. I know their is a marvel subscription but you have to read the comics through a web browser. At least that is what I have read. Also I'm sure you know about www.comixology.com but if you haven't it is a great site for digital comics. If you have any questions about the Nexus let me know and I am sure somebody in this thread would be willing to answer stuff about the kindle as well. Honestly either way you can't go wrong.

As long as you don't buy a ipad. You can get cheap comes at. 99 then turn them in what you need to so you can read them on your reader.

blue_rogue
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go to Best Buy this weekend and and try both of them out.

Vader AL
02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go to Best Buy this weekend and and try both of them out.

It really depends on what you want to use it for...the Nexus does more but isn't as simple to use as the Kindle. I use the kindle (the newer HD one) every day when i'm in bed or on business trips to read or watch a movie or mess with game apps and use my laptop or PC for the other things. And I love my amazon prime account so that's what swayed me; but it comes down to what you want to use it for. And the Kindle I bought my mom is on my account so when she wants something I buy it and it's on both Kindles (she isn't "computer" savy although she's picked up on the kindle and does buy stuff sometimes and I get the bill, ha ha). you can't go wrong with either.

Duck
02-15-2013, 06:58 PM

You won't be able to check out the nexus at best buy. You will have to go to a staples or I believe OfficeMax might carry them. The other poster is right. The nexus is a little bit harder to use,but once you learn it it is really easy.

comicbookreaderguide
02-20-2013, 02:31 AM
I understand if you are hesitant about making the move to digital, and a smaller sized tablet like the Kindle Fire HD to boot, but don't be. I posted a video of the Kindle Fire HD and cover a number of comic book reader apps with screenshots and videos. I took the plunge with digital and haven't looked back... and I was really worried about the 7" tablets... I thought it would be like comics on a phone - close to unbearable.