Any other great non-superhero based continuing comics?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
New or old (but with decent artwork)

Non-superhero based sans the comic Invincible.

What I have been reading is:
Chew
Morning Glories
Saga
Y the Last Man
The Walking Dead
Invincible

So, anything else great? I heard there was a good comic Cerebus? In the 90's or something. He appeared in Spawn 8 or 9.

Have you ever checked out The Sixth Gun? Awesome mix of westerns and scifi. Has a great story. Even the issue that was completely a "silent" issue was better than half the crap marvel puts out.

... I'm not sure you'd consider them superhero comics or not, but the Current IDW Gi joe, and transformers G1 runs are pretty damned good.

The IDW transformers run is very politics heavy, very civil war esque. Really REALLY good stuff. Start with Megatron Origins, see what you think.

Locke And Key by Stephen King's son Joe Hill is excellent. I got turned onto it by the same person who clued me into Walking Dead back in 2005. Garth Ennis has a few mind blowing mini-series: Crossed (zombies!), Just a Pilgrim, Battlefileds (the night witches story line is excellent). Warren Ellis has a few great ones too: Blackgas (zombies!), Wolfskin, Anna Mercury, Ignition City.

Locke And Key by Stephen King's son Joe Hill is excellent. I got turned onto it by the same person who clued me into Walking Dead back in 2005. Garth Ennis has a few mind blowing mini-series: Crossed (zombies!), Just a Pilgrim, Battlefileds (the night witches story line is excellent). Warren Ellis has a few great ones too: Blackgas (zombies!), Wolfskin, Anna Mercury, Ignition City.

:exactly: Locke and Key is a wonderful book. I'm still not caught up, but I'm loving what I have read so far.

:exactly: Locke and Key is a wonderful book. I'm still not caught up, but I'm loving what I have read so far.

It's impossible to avoid comparing it to the works of Stephen King as the author has clearly been mentored by his father. I find Locke and Key to be more satisfying, structurally, than just about all of King's books that I've read. And I have read a lot of them in my time.

Jonah Hex, if you're a fan of Westerns (or great stories). The cool thing is that, outside of Six Gun War, and two smaller two and three part arcs, the stories are all self contained, so, whether you start on #5 or #50, it makes no difference in regards to accessibility.

I'd say Locke & Key, although it is not a true ongoing series as the final chapter, Omega, is coming out now.

As mentioned before, I'd say The Sixth Gun for sure as it is a great read with incredible art.
If you like the story of Peter Pan, I'd suggest Peter Panzerfaust. A great reimagining of the story set in WWII. I burned through the first trade and got pissed when it ended because I just wanted more of it. They are at issue 7 now.
Manhattan Projects is amazing for an ongoing. Really cool concept.
The Unwritten is amazing as well but do not let the wordiness of it scare you away...it pays off!

What about Sin City?
or Hack/Slash?
Is HellBlazer a superhero comic? I don't think so.
or those sexed up Grimm's Fairy tales comics, those were okay.

Sandman is pretty good.

Kick ass! Its sorta a hero comic cause there's nothing super about the characters.also check out gaurdians of the globe if you like invinsable.

Honestly most super hero comics cant even compare to non superhero based ones. Besides Invincible and Snyders Batman. You should check out anything by the Luna brothers. The Sword, Girls, Ultra etc. Those aren't ongoing anymore, but you will enjoy them.

New or old (but with decent artwork)

Non-superhero based sans the comic Invincible.

What I have been reading is:
Chew
Morning Glories
Saga
Y the Last Man
The Walking Dead
Invincible

So, anything else great? I heard there was a good comic Cerebus? In the 90's or something. He appeared in Spawn 8 or 9.

I have nothing to add to your list or any of the suggestions already given on this topic (recently got back into comics)
but I wanted to thank you for including "CHEW" in your list.
I've never heard of it before so I googled it, read some reviews, looked at the artwork and I was very intrigued with the story...
So now I have both of the "Omnivore" editions on the way :blissy

I'm sure I'll love it!
Thanks again :wave

I have nothing to add to your list or any of the suggestions already given on this topic (recently got back into comics)
I've never heard of it before so I googled it, read some reviews, looked at the artwork and I was very intrigued with the story...

I'm sure I'll love it!

You will love Chew. Has a great mix of comedy in it.

I'm sure I'll love it!

Thanking me? Ok, what'd I do? Hehe. Chew is amazingly good though. It's made me start cursing irl A LOT again, since I was 16. It's so funny how angry Tony Chew gets. ****ing hilarious.

78ab46107bec46ec2244dc86fb3184df.jpg

I've been reading Locke and Key and that book has been depressing the **** of me. It's fabulous though. I have to take a break and read Invincible. Ah, the Mauler Twins. So hilarious.

Back