Star Trek Original Series Overhauled

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dassy

Private Member
Reaction score
Well... it's the real deal, folks. As we first reported in The Rumor Mill the other day, and as was further confirmed by TrekMovie.com and AICN, CBS has just informed TV Guide's Insider that all 79 episodes of Gene Roddenberry's classic Star Trek: The Original Series are being given a special effects upgrade with new CG effects. Longtime Trek veterans Michael Okuda, Denise Okuda and David Rossi are apparently involved in the process to ensure that this is a class effort, as opposed to some kind of 'Where's Jar-Jar' operation. Says Mike in the Insider report: "We're taking great pains to respect the integrity and style of the original. Our goal is to always ask ourselves: What would Roddenberry have done with today's technology?" The ships will now have more detail, backgrounds will be more lively with people and activity, landscapes will now feature moving clouds, etc. The show's opening will be overhauled too, and the theme music has been re-recorded with a larger orchestra. What's more, technical goofs in the original production will apparently be fixed.

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Just when I thought I had finished buying Star Trek DVDs...

Will the fans be excited, or find this to be blasphemy? I myself am interested in seeing the results of Classic Trek 2.0 on high definition DVD.

Here's the "new" old CGI Enterprise:

trekcgienterprise.jpg

I think it is a cool idea. Like I've said in other threads, I am all about revision as long as it idn't hokey.

Will they make the Klingongs actually look like Klingons, I wonder? :monkey5

I hadn't thought about them retconning the Klingons! That would be killer. I hope they do this project right and not on the cheap. It could introduce a whole new generation to the TOS or it could be a complete waste of time and a sacrilege.

Actually, they have now written the appearance of the old school Klingons into continuity through a pair of episodes on Enterprise. There was a virus that caused a generation of Klingons to lose their forehead ridges. Of course, since only about ten people watched Enterprise, they wouldn't be risking much by changing the backstory again.

tomandshell said:
Actually, they have now written the appearance of the old school Klingons into continuity through a pair of episodes on Enterprise. There was a virus that caused a generation of Klingons to lose their forehead ridges. Of course, since only about ten people watched Enterprise, they wouldn't be risking much by changing the backstory again.
I remember an awesome episode of DS9 where they actually went back to the first Star Trek episode (I think it was the first) and someone asked Worf why the Klingons look different and Worf said something to the effect that it was an embarassing time for Klingons which they didn't discuss with anyone.

The same was done to the series Red Dwarf a number of years ago and I can't say that it was all that big a change.

New scenes of the ship shoehorned in just don't really thrill me.

This is fantastic news!

(Maybe they can slim down Shatner in season 3.
...and nothing can help the "Spocks Brain" episode)

Star Trek journeys to the 21st century as the Original Series returns to broadcast syndication for the first time in 16 years with brand-new digitally remastered episodes to celebrate its 40th anniversary. CBS Paramount Domestic Television has officially announced that they are releasing digitally remastered episodes of Star Trek, with all new special effects and music, to celebrate the groundbreaking series' 40th anniversary, according to John Nogawski, president of CBS Paramount Domestic Television.

The Star Trek episodes will begin airing on the more than 200 stations that own the rights to the weekend broadcast syndication window starting September 16th. The plan is for all 79 episodes of the Original Series to be remastered, with the first batch of episodes chosen from a list of Star Trek fans' favorite shows. With the running order to be determined, it's unlikely to follow the classic air-date order or production order format familiar to fans.

The first episode will be "Balance of Terror", the classic first time the Enterprise crew engaged against the Romulans. The most noticeable change will be redoing many of the special effects, created with 1960s technology, with 21st century computer-generated imagery (CGI).

Upgrades include:

Space ship exteriors - The Enterprise, as well as other starships, will be replaced with state of the art CGI-created ships. The new computer-generated Enterprise is based on the exact measurements of the original model, which now rests in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

Show opening - The Enterprise and planets seen in the main title sequence will be redone, giving them depth and dimension for the first time.

Galaxy shots - All the graphics of the galaxy, so frequently seen through the viewscreen on the Enterprise's bridge, will be redone.

Exteriors - The battle scenes, planets and ships from other cultures (notably the Romulan Bird of Prey and Klingon Battle Cruisers) will be updated.

Background scenes - Some of the iconic, yet flat, matte paintings used as backdrops for the strange, new worlds explored by the Enterprise crew will get a CGI face-lift, adding atmosphere and lighting.

The refurbished episodes also feature higher quality sound for the famous opening theme. The original score by Emmy Award-winning composer Alexander Courage, has been re-recorded in state-of-the-art digital stereo audio with an orchestra and a female singer belting out the famous vocals. A digitally remastered version of William Shatner's classic original recording of the 38-word "Space, the final frontier..." monologue continues to open each episode.

The remastered episodes have been converted from the original film into a High-Definition format, which gives viewers a clearer, crisper, more vibrant picture than before, even when viewed in standard definition. Once stations upgrade and start broadcasting HD signals, the episodes will be all ready for viewers to enjoy in HD. There is no confirmation as yet if, or when, these episodes will eventually appear on DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. No word yet either on whether the subsequent spin-offs, most notably "Star Trek: The Next Generation", will also receive a similar treatment.

Will the Klingons still shoot first?

Last edited:
If I didn't know about these changes, I really don't think I would've noticed them. I watched "Balance of Terror" this weekend, but the new ship effects didn't jump out at me. I guess that can be considered a good thing.

Yeah I saw the episode yesterday and didn't notice any major SFX changes. I was watching it on a small TV so that and the fact I haven't watched the original series in years may effect how it appeared.
But the colors on the show were vibrant!

My brother told me about this earlier and I have to say I think it is the dumbest idea I've heard yet. I'm all for high-quality transfers and making the sound, picture, etc its best... but adding in improved effects shots? Everything in the show looks kinda crappy and kitchy, but that's the style and, for me, the nostalgic quality of the show. Its a great show, but also kinda cheesey. It just seems like the effects shots would not add much and if anything would not really fit-in.

galactiboy said:
My brother told me about this earlier and I have to say I think it is the dumbest idea I've heard yet. I'm all for high-quality transfers and making the sound, picture, etc its best... but adding in improved effects shots? Everything in the show looks kinda crappy and kitchy, but that's the style and, for me, the nostalgic quality of the show. Its a great show, but also kinda cheesey. It just seems like the effects shots would not add much and if anything would not really fit-in.

don't ***** about things until you've seen them. apparantly the new shots look exactly (exactly!) the same as the old ones. From the camera angle to the movement. they just look.... cleaner.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings Hunky... but if they look the same then what is the point? Give me a good quality transfer of the original and call it a day. Not everything needs to be digitally improved upon.

I learned one thing after seeing the original Star Wars on DVD last week: special editions are a GOOD thing.

Just saw the first part of Miri last night and I could see an improvement on FX shots of the Enterprise and of the Earth. The new Overhauled episodes are not all that bad, at least it's got me rewatching Original series Trek. :D

Back