PDA

View Full Version : Fake Wolverine or real?

Ryno
11-15-2012, 07:03 AM
EDIT 11-26-2012

I am VERY happy to post that the seller has made things right with the transaction. It seems to have been a big misunderstanding and the money just wasn't there at the time to make it right, but things have been fixed between me and the seller.

Ryno

--------------------------------

Hey everyone.

I've avoided making a thread about this, as I wanted to give the seller a chance to accept a return, but it just didn't happen. The seller insists it is real, and perhaps doesn't know about the fake. However the listing did say "Real version". I know there is also a headplay headsculpt as well, so there may have been confusion there also.

I bought this Wolverine from a member on November 7th, and it was advertised as the "Real version". When I received it, I had my doubts, and asked on Facebook in OSR whether they all thought it was real or fake.

I received not one response stating that it was real. Everyone said that they thought it was fake.

Even the member who sold it to me, actually said it was fake as well in that post on FB, not knowing that it was the one that they sold me.

At first I didn't know too much about the fake one, and figured it was basically the same thing and that maybe I'd just keep it. Then, upon reading more, I found that it's an actual counterfeit product. To me, a counterfeit product is worthless, and no matter how good it looks, it just is not acceptable to me to own in a collection. If I kept this thing for the long haul, it would sincerely bother me that it is a counterfeit.

All that being said, what do you all think? Is it fake or real? Here are some pictures.

Your input is much appreciated.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/182028_10151268738735589_1741954524_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/480968_10151268742670589_903602628_n.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vWRxw4HQHWo/UKFVtXEATHI/AAAAAAAAINM/mHZAYipxyUU/s512/2012-11-12%252011.57.39.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JH6XBBEoLCs/UKFVsA9v1EI/AAAAAAAAINE/qjxLs9AuJ-U/s512/2012-11-12%252011.58.02.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-r1f0Z8BnGTc/UKT6hfyaWTI/AAAAAAAAINw/KnJeAd93x_Q/s1024/2012-11-15%25252006.17.42.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-qenp-Wujp38/UKT6eO1MejI/AAAAAAAAINo/UsOXEnT3UP0/s1024/2012-11-15%25252006.18.31.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-h9cDpwFivNM/UKT6h416DPI/AAAAAAAAIN0/hNKUfe5hjak/s1024/2012-11-15%25252006.19.01.jpg

theWolvesBlood6
11-15-2012, 07:13 AM
No **** but take his shirt off and post the pic. the body should be an easy way for us to tell.
Sorry this happened to you? How much did you pay?

I would feel the same if someone lied to me like that. I bashed my own, he looks great but if i bought him complete thinking i was buying hot toys i would be hella pissed and taken him outta my detolfs til i got my cash back.

Maybe you can get your pay pal money back and still end up keeping the figure. Hope that works out in your favor.

Kinda looks like an odd face sculpt. Like he has on mascara.

jimmie_dimmick
11-15-2012, 07:14 AM
This video is pretty informative on how to spot the fakes. This video

Snake Plissken
11-15-2012, 07:16 AM
I think the sweaty finish on his forehead gives it away, and the eyeliner. This is the main reason I've avoided even thinking about getting a Wolverine.

You should of just waited for the X3 version to come out.

Ryno
11-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Added a few more pics. Again , while I am relatively sure this is the fake one, I guess I can't be 100%, which is why I am asking all of you.

I want to give the seller the full benefit of the doubt that they weren't sure as well, and when they said real version, they maybe were comparing it to the headplay version, unaware of the existence of a fake.

To answer a question, I paid $250.

manolis
11-15-2012, 07:31 AM
super fake!!!

theWolvesBlood6
11-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Added a few more pics. Again , while I am relatively sure this is the fake one, I guess I can't be 100%, which is why I am asking all of you.

I want to give the seller the full benefit of the doubt that they weren't sure as well, and when they said real version, they maybe were comparing it to the headplay version, unaware of the existence of a fake.

You're such a nice guy. I would take the Barney Ross approach... "Find em, Track em, Kill em."

Mr. EcKo
11-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Looks like someone is getting banned.

Sorry this happen to you brother.

There's no tolerance for scamming on the boards

SwampYack
11-15-2012, 07:50 AM
how much do you want for it?

Ryno
11-15-2012, 07:51 AM
how much do you want for it?

I honestly am not sure I'd feel right about selling this thing again if it's fake.. The seller suggested that I try, and I said if they wanted to they could, but make sure it is known that it is a fake, don't list it as real..

However I reviewed the rules in the B/S/T section and it states no selling of counterfeit merchandise, so I now I'm not sure whether you can even sell this even as a fake on here?

I mean if selling a fake wolverine as fake on here doesn't break any rules, and the buyer is aware of what they are getting, I guess I'd be cool with it. Still feels wrong. However I'm really new to the hobby so I am still catching up on the do's and donts.

Snake Plissken
11-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Looks like someone is getting banned.

Sorry this happen to you brother.

There's no tolerance for scamming on the boards

I concur. Especially if he's bragging about it on Facebook.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/dexterland/gifs%20to%20use/1250499738_dexter_is_the_butcher.gif

Ryno
11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't say bragging, he just posted that he thought it was fake, not knowing it was me, lol. As if he just ran across a random real or fake post.

I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, getting banned sucks. I just want my money back and would like to send the figure back, that's all.

The benefit of doubt I'm giving is that the seller thought the figure was real, and that the "Fake" everyone talks about is the headplay sculpt, not knowing there is a full blown fake with fake box and everything.

What I'm mostly concerned with now is... Is this the real or fake one for sure?

Uncanny Web-Slinger
11-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Does the seller know it's a fake though? if you couldn't tell right away perhaps he didn't either and bought it & sold it to you not knowing :dunno

Ryno
11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Does the seller know it's a fake though? if you couldn't tell right away perhaps he didn't either and bought it & sold it to you not knowing :dunno

That's what I've been saying.. Which is why I withheld the name of the seller.

This post was mostly meant to find out for sure if this is the fake version or not.

Snake Plissken
11-15-2012, 08:20 AM
That's what I've been saying.. Which is why I withheld the name of the seller.

This post was mostly meant to find out for sure if this is the fake version or not.

Well it's admirable that you went the investigative route before ruining a seller's credibility. But it's pretty obvious from what I've seen it's the Headplay version, it's too sweaty looking to be HT. Now how do you find out if the seller was aware?

Mr. EcKo
11-15-2012, 08:22 AM
So when you gunna drop his name?

Ryno
11-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Would like to give the seller one last chance to make it right.

SwampYack
11-15-2012, 08:31 AM
I honestly am not sure I'd feel right about selling this thing again if it's fake.. The seller suggested that I try, and I said if they wanted to they could, but make sure it is known that it is a fake, don't list it as real..

However I reviewed the rules in the B/S/T section and it states no selling of counterfeit merchandise, so I now I'm not sure whether you can even sell this even as a fake on here?

I mean if selling a fake wolverine as fake on here doesn't break any rules, and the buyer is aware of what they are getting, I guess I'd be cool with it. Still feels wrong. However I'm really new to the hobby so I am still catching up on the do's and donts.

"Fake" is a relative term. This is absolutely Wolverine, maybe subpar in some areas but Wolverine none the less. This isnt Jack Sparrow dressed up as Wolverine. The "fake" part comes in when people try to pass it off as an original Hot Toys version, and that's wrong.

Snake Plissken
11-15-2012, 08:33 AM
I would of been suspcious about a 250$ asking price, but if he was listing as a HT and it obviously isn't you should be refunded, no question.

galactiboy
11-15-2012, 08:45 AM
While those counterfeits were quite well done... they are still just that. Sorry you got mislead on that one, but I'd agree what is in your pics is the counterfeit that popped up on eBay while back.

SwedishHeat
11-15-2012, 08:46 AM
I recognize the pic from the seller's FS thread (unless he stole the pic from someone else). You need to drop his name, so the community here knows what's going on. We need to deal with this guy.

sallah
11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Definitely looks like a fake to me.

I commend you for the way you are handling all this BTW!

Sallah

upriss
11-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Looks like a fake. Why is he even asking you to try to re-sell it? He needs to refund you and he can deal with his own mess. I'm thinking he knows it's a fake. I don't know anyone willing to let go of a real Wolvie for only $250.

JefftheCollector
11-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Wow!! That looks fake! Not cool at all to do that :( sorry to hear that happen to you.

Ryno
11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
I would appreciate if anyone knows the individual by the photos I posted or anything to please keep to themselves, he may be willing to make it right.

karamazov80
11-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Seller has a pretty clear obligation to give you a refund based on what you are saying. And it looks fake to me based on the cheap looking paintwork on the head. There were comparison shots HT put together once, that someone may have access to.

edit:

http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2011/08/beware-fake-hot-toys-wolverine-in.html

http://i.imgur.com/8j5XV.jpg

Snake Plissken
11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
I knew about the eyeliner and sweaty face/hair... but I didn't realize he was also a different race too :lol

karamazov80
11-15-2012, 09:34 AM
The original version had a bit of a tan to it, which was pretty unusual for HT releases at the time, and the best the Vietnamese bootleggers could do was an orange spray tan approximation I guess.

jimmie_dimmick
11-15-2012, 09:39 AM
The eyeliner is a dead giveaway seeing the comparison pics.

I hope this gets resolved.

Snake Plissken
11-15-2012, 09:46 AM
The original version had a bit of a tan to it, which was pretty unusual for HT releases at the time, and the best the Vietnamese bootleggers could do was an orange spray tan approximation I guess.

It's the main reason I've not even looked into getting one, most listings are stock photos anyway. I just didn't realize how damn orange he is, Hot Toys definitely eclipses everyone else for the most part.

Besides, the Jack Torrance looking Wolverine is coming out soon :D

The eyeliner is a dead giveaway seeing the comparison pics.

I hope this gets resolved.

I think Ryno has done all that can be done, I would assume the seller has become aware of this at this point. Give him his money back.

Although I still would of thought 250$ would be too good to be true from the beginning, and it was too good. Most real Wolvies go for upwards of 500$ or more last time I checked.

Ryno
11-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I am not 100% that he knew it was fake. He wants to make it right, but the money is spent. He is willing to sell it again, noted as a replica, in which case I would ship it out.

What do you guys think, is this a fair resolution?

Ryan

Snake Plissken
11-15-2012, 11:54 AM
I am not 100% that he knew it was fake. He wants to make it right, but the money is spent. He is willing to sell it again, noted as a replica, in which case I would ship it out.

What do you guys think, is this a fair resolution?

Ryan

Full refund but you pay shipping? I would do it.

Ryno
11-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Basically, yeah. Ultimately that's what it'd end up being.. Plus a buyer who knows what they are getting.

DFanatic
11-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Not the worst outcome but not the best either though. I would be nice if the dude paid for the shipping. I feel it's his responsibility and the least he can do for causing you trouble.

sallah
11-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Not the worst outcome but not the best either though. I would be nice if the dude paid for the shipping. I feel it's his responsibility and the least he can do for causing you trouble.

100% agreed. You shouldn't be out anything. He sold it as a real-deal, he obviously can spot a fake (as evidenced by him calling it that on facebook), so it is hard to believe he didn't know it was.

I would be a little wary about the way he is "refunding" you too. How are you to know if the next buyer is being told if it is a fake or not? And if they aren't told, it is your address that they will have if you send it and not his. Plus, depending on how he sends you the money, paypal may want you to send it to the confirmed address attached to that account. If you don't do that, you put yourself at risk of claiming it wasn't sent.

I ordinarily wouldn't be this paranoid on a deal... But everything you have said so far points to this guy being a little on the shadey side.

Sallah

Ryno
11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the concern Sallah. I feel OK with it because it isn't a new member or anything. I think the Facebook thing was a mixup.

The figure will be listed as the replica, and I will be paid directly.

JefftheCollector
11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
100% agreed. You shouldn't be out anything. He sold it as a real-deal, he obviously can spot a fake (as evidenced by him calling it that on facebook), so it is hard to believe he didn't know it was.

I would be a little wary about the way he is "refunding" you too. How are you to know if the next buyer is being told if it is a fake or not? And if they aren't told, it is your address that they will have if you send it and not his. Plus, depending on how he sends you the money, paypal may want you to send it to the confirmed address attached to that account. If you don't do that, you put yourself at risk of claiming it wasn't sent.

I ordinarily wouldn't be this paranoid on a deal... But everything you have said so far points to this guy being a little on the shadey side.

Sallah

:exactly::goodpost:

Sweet Rabbit
11-15-2012, 03:00 PM
that looks different than the others I've seen

sallah
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the concern Sallah. I feel OK with it because it isn't a new member or anything. I think the Facebook thing was a mixup.

The figure will be listed as the replica, and I will be paid directly.

No problem man! :1-1: Just want to make sure you're playing it safe...

Sallah

chRd
11-15-2012, 09:17 PM
fake and in the wrong section dude

Ryno
11-15-2012, 09:28 PM
fake and in the wrong section dude

It got moved to this section by a moderator, lol

chRd
11-15-2012, 11:43 PM
It got moved to this section by a moderator, lol

yup figured that as well when i saw this back in general collectibles section. harhar. good points raised by everyone. that is an emo-wolvy

STEN475
11-15-2012, 11:54 PM
I might have to get one of the fake ones, seen them on ebay for super cheap.

SwedishHeat
11-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Still think you're being taken for a ride.

He's put it back on his sales thread, but he's still calling it a Hot Toys Wolverine, and not noting that it's the bootleg. He's still not being honest. You're going to ship it to someone, and they're going to have the same problem as you, and you'll be right back where you started, just now the next buyer will have your information as well, and you'll get even further wrapped up in this mess.

You need to get your money back ASAP and wash your hands of this mess. Before your PayPal claim window lapses.

EVILFACE
11-16-2012, 09:12 AM
It's a fake. I believe the seller knew the whole time. Open the PayPal claim now.

Ryno
11-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah he just put Vietnam, still misleading........ I won't accept any payment for this thing unless the person knows what they are getting, and I'm very close to just filing a PayPal claim at this point.

Spidey976
11-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Wait wait wait ... This is an active thread HERE??? Where a boardie is selling a fake, and it is still open??

upriss
11-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Strongly suggest you file a paypal claim and stop putting yourself in the middle of this. Since you're so understanding...hey, I would like to sell you something? :rotfl

sallah
11-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Still think you're being taken for a ride.

He's put it back on his sales thread, but he's still calling it a Hot Toys Wolverine, and not noting that it's the bootleg. He's still not being honest. You're going to ship it to someone, and they're going to have the same problem as you, and you'll be right back where you started, just now the next buyer will have your information as well, and you'll get even further wrapped up in this mess.

You need to get your money back ASAP and wash your hands of this mess. Before your PayPal claim window lapses.

Yeah, these were my thoughts as well. I honestly can't believe it is back up in the sales thread...

It is pretty obvious that you did everything you could and this guy is shadey. Filing the claim and getting your money back is the right move.

Good luck!

Sallah

Ryno
11-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Had him take it down. So over this. I gave so many chances to make it right.

Ryno
11-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Seller never made it right. Gave them every opportunity to do so, and I was VERY reasonable. Too bad, he seemed like a good guy.

jimmie_dimmick
11-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Hope you get compensated or can recoup your funds.

Kibishii
11-24-2012, 07:44 PM
I think the sweaty finish on his forehead gives it away, and the eyeliner. This is the main reason I've avoided even thinking about getting a Wolverine.

:lecture This is the truth; I really want a Wolverine, but with the sheer volume of fakes, I would not touch one of these.

It really sucks for people who own a legit one because I am sure the value on him would be triple what it goes for if the fakes weren't floating about. HT needs to release a DX version...

j97e1
11-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Seller never made it right. Gave them every opportunity to do so, and I was VERY reasonable. Too bad, he seemed like a good guy.

Who is the seller?

Ryno
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I am VERY happy to post that the seller has made things right with the transaction. It seems to have been a big misunderstanding and the money just wasn't there at the time to make it right, but things have been fixed between me and the seller.

Ryno

jimmie_dimmick
11-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Good to hear.