PDA

View Full Version : Digital comics?

Antman84
11-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Hi all
I'm getting an ipad for Christmas and am trying to decide weather to go digital or stick with comic books.

Pros
Takes up less space
Can have them instantly
High definition comics look great

Cons
No hard copy
Nothing like the feel of paper
What if they change the app and you no longer have comics

I've been using the free code and it seems good
What do you all think?

Antman

Took
11-07-2012, 12:17 PM
i tried a few, but it just doesn't give me the same experience as paper comics.

for regular books, I don't mind reading them in digital on my iPad, but for comics, I only use it when I'm abroad or desperately want to read an issue I don't have.

Antman84
11-07-2012, 12:23 PM
At the minute I'm using both as marvel give the free code but was really impressed with the hd comics.

Enthus
11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I switched to digital a while ago. I really enjoy it, it's great to have hundreds of comics in the space of a few print ones. I also started to branch out a lot more due to the constant sales Comixology puts out. I wouldn't worry about losing any comics due to a new app coming out, Comixology is the king and as long as the biggest publishers back it then it will remain that way.

former member DFtM
11-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah absolutely.

I buy everything im interested in digitally via comiXology. The individual issues i LOVE, i'll mail order bagged and boarded.. and the series I'm collecting I'll order the trade.

So, I'm following multiple comics digitally, but only "physically collecting" Batman books.

In many cases I find the colour to really pop more on an iPad than in print.
Additionally, I can carry VAST amounts of unread books with me on the iPad for planes, trains etc.. And, I can read and re-read without fear of wrecking a physical copy.

In terms of money, it's probably cheaper for me to buy digitally. New releases launch at $4.99 with a price drop to $1.99 after the next issue launches. Many comics are $0.99 or free.

Being based in a regional area in Australia - if (and that's a big if) I can find a physical copy locally it's going to be $8.99 for an individual issue.
I can order online and get one delivered, bagged and boarded for about $10. Or I can get trades via BookDepository or Amazon for cheaper - like $20 for Issues 1 - 7 or something.

So for me, I only get the physical ones that I truly love - as it's cheaper, more convenient and generally a better experience for me digitally.
(Plus I can indulge my collector-gene through getting everything digitally, without cluttering up my limited storage space of buying everything physically).

Lots of pro's to digital.

The con is the fact that you effectively "licence" the issue. If the provider, say ComiXology in this case, fails as a business in the future, I'll lose many of the comics I've purchased.
But so long as I have the ones I truly love bagged and boarded (and unread, so MIIIINT), then I'm okay with this. It's kinda like hiring a video for a couple of bucks, but then never having to return it unless the store chain goes belly up.

Frankly, I think ComiXology is likely to be around for a long time anyway.

Antman84
11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
So far some very good arguments for digital I think some id still get in print like MAX titles but possibly will move over to digital for the rest. :)

Shadow5
01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
I buy a handful of my comics weekly at my local comic shop, but the rest I get through ComiXology. I'd say at least 60-70% of my reading is digital. I think you've nailed the pros and cons. It's just so nice to be able to access them anywhere at anytime, which is perfect for this medium. I never know when I'll get a few minutes somewhere and can continue my reading. Also, I love not having 5-6 longboxes taking up precious space.

There is that possibility that at any time, your collection could just vanish. There's really no guarantee that they're yours forever, but the company seems to be doing well, so I'm optimistic.

KBA
01-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I stick with paper monthlys of characters and series I love, buy the hardcovers when they're released, and buy hard covers and trades of stuff I don't pull but hear is great through the grape vine. Digital is cool, but it's not for me. I enjoy collecting comics almost as much as I do reading them, so having it physically is the only option.

Antman84
01-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I've moved over now the way I do it is I have a subscription to the marvel graphic novel collection but comics are bought digitally they look fantastic on the ipad. However I still buy the odd variant issue I really like here and there

ChunkyZergling
02-03-2013, 04:06 AM
I have a 64 GB ipad. Two weeks ago I decided to go all digital. I'm a single guy living in the city and ****ing statues boxes take up so much room I don't need them to have to compete with comics for space.

Also, very cool that once you buy a digital comic you will have it forever, anywhere, even if you're not connected to the Internet.

Paper feels good? I like the screen better and you can read in the dark.

And no trips to the comic shop.

Antman84
02-03-2013, 04:24 AM
And the other part that is awesome is the Monday and Friday sales :)

Also I've had the odd comic in the past with a print defect this is a guarantee of perfect pages that never deteriorate

KBA
02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
And no trips to the comic shop.

I love heading to the comic shop, shooting the **** with the owner, and walking out with a bag of goodies. Would never see it as a con.

ChunkyZergling
02-03-2013, 07:41 PM
I love heading to the comic shop, shooting the **** with the owner, and walking out with a bag of goodies. Would never see it as a con.

My comic shop owner is a bit strange but I like him. Every other person that works there is a wierdo or *******. That's just my store.

ChunkyZergling
02-03-2013, 07:42 PM
And the other part that is awesome is the Monday and Friday sales :)

Also I've had the odd comic in the past with a print defect this is a guarantee of perfect pages that never deteriorate

Go digital! And it is really cool having this huge comic, hundreds of comics, library right in the palm of your hand. Get the 64 GB ipad with retina display.

xYx
02-03-2013, 11:00 PM
I don't feel like something belongs to me unless I can tangibly hold it but that's just me. Plus I'm a collector which makes it a no brainer. Also you can't exactly get your digital copies signed by your favorite writer/artist if you ever get the chance to meet them. :dunno

KBA
02-04-2013, 12:10 PM
^Never thought of that last point. Yeah, having a tangible collection is the way to go for this nut. I get a daily kick out of looking at my comic shelf, at capacity, ready to explode with awesomeness

Solidus
02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I don't feel like something belongs to me unless I can tangibly hold it but that's just me. Plus I'm a collector which makes it a no brainer. Also you can't exactly get your digital copies signed by your favorite writer/artist if you ever get the chance to meet them. :dunno

I'm completely in agreement, especially with the last point. I often go to Midtown Comics to have writers and artists sign comics and books in my collection. There's no way that I'd be able to do that if I only have digital copies.

Antman84
02-04-2013, 11:01 PM
I think that's why I buy digital but also collect variant covers that I like. Hoping to pick up a few cgc comics

xYx
02-08-2013, 11:22 PM
This:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/CyxCze/IMG_1491_zpsc035ad16.jpg

Or this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/CyxCze/My%20Collection/Books01_zps56abef80.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/CyxCze/My%20Collection/Books02_zps7c6bc440.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/CyxCze/My%20Collection/Books03_zps3b38d7cd.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/CyxCze/My%20Collection/Books04_zps47ddc8ac.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/CyxCze/My%20Collection/Books06_zps53ab1b1b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/CyxCze/My%20Collection/Books05_zps1edddebe.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/CyxCze/My%20Collection/Books08_zps59871f9a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/CyxCze/My%20Collection/Books07_zps3422e388.jpg

Duck
02-09-2013, 09:28 AM
As cool as the crazy amount of books look on shelves. I would take digitally any day right now. Mainly for the space.

ChunkyZergling
02-09-2013, 07:22 PM
As cool as the crazy amount of books look on shelves. I would take digitally any day right now. Mainly for the space.

qft

------------------

KBA
02-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Great collection, xYx! Very jealous of those Earth X and Planet Hulk hardcovers. I gotta track those suckers down!

And yeah, that shelf destroys a digital library any day of the week :lol:

xYx
02-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Great collection, xYx! Very jealous of those Earth X and Planet Hulk hardcovers. I gotta track those suckers down!

And yeah, that shelf destroys a digital library any day of the week :lol:

Thanks bud! :1-1:
Had to double check when you mentioned Earth X, forgot I had that. :lol

KBA
02-10-2013, 11:59 AM
If you ever want to sell it, I'd give you more than a fair price! ;)

Antman84
02-11-2013, 06:14 AM
I've found a happy medium of weekly comics digital and the epic comics I like in hardcover omnibus etc

Duck
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
I've found a happy medium of weekly comics digital and the epic comics I like in hardcover omnibus etc

:goodpost: As much as I am enjoying these digital comics I love and I mean love my hardcovers/Absolute editions of some of my books.

Antman84
02-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah and the great thing is that marvel seem to be putting digital codes into graphic novels like the adamantium collection

dalbelo
02-12-2013, 07:10 AM
I collect comics to read but also to one day sell them all and profit. I find it exciting to see an issue that you own go up in value and to be able to flip it for more money. I own every issue of The Walking Dead and it feels awesome to know I payed $3 an issue and can sell them for thousands.

Besides that, I wonder if revealing or using the digital codes on comics (like the marvel NOW or DC combo packs) brings down the value. Does anybody know?

Antman84
02-12-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure on that one but if I get a variant that. Want to keep I don't use the code on it. I buy another digital copy so I don't have to read it

Duck
02-12-2013, 08:26 AM
I collect comics to read but also to one day sell them all and profit. I find it exciting to see an issue that you own go up in value and to be able to flip it for more money. I own every issue of The Walking Dead and it feels awesome to know I payed $3 an issue and can sell them for thousands.

Besides that, I wonder if revealing or using the digital codes on comics (like the marvel NOW or DC combo packs) brings down the value. Does anybody know?

Honestly most modern comic books don't go up in value. In fact most of them go down in value. The walking Dead being one of the exception because of the popular tv show.

dalbelo
02-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Almost all NEW 52 have greatly increased in value, Batman by Snyder is a great example. Another good example is Superior Spiderman, that is slowly increasing. All New Xmen has been increasing quite well. Daredevil has gone up a fair amount. Lots of Image titles such as Thief of Thieves, Chew, the Revival, Saga..... the list goes on. All of the above have seen fair to significant increases in value.

Antman84
02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
I find that the variants do well but the standard editions don't go up too much.
I don't have the space to watch them go up in value lol

dalbelo
02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
lol I hear ya. These days alot of standard covers are going up in value very well. All that I had listed as going up in value were based on the standard covers.

Antman84
02-12-2013, 09:43 AM
That's interesting to know if only I had more space lol

Duck
02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Almost all NEW 52 have greatly increased in value, Batman by Snyder is a great example. Another good example is Superior Spiderman, that is slowly increasing. All New Xmen has been increasing quite well. Daredevil has gone up a fair amount. Lots of Image titles such as Thief of Thieves, Chew, the Revival, Saga..... the list goes on. All of the above have seen fair to significant increases in value.

Sadly they will all go back down in price in time I think. Hey I could be wrong and I hope I am, because I would like to get rid of some Comics and make something off them. Chew will go down well it already is going down. TV show got cancelled therefor people aren't buying them up in hopes of them turning into something like The Walking Dead. Even though they are going up in value I don't see these titles hitting the thousands like some of the older books, but if someone wants to offer me a thousand bucks I'm not going to deny them the book :lol

Also what is this book The Revival? It is by Image? I've never heard of it, but I do love me a good Image book.

dalbelo
02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Revival is a dead coming back to life type of book. Little different then zombies though. By Tim Seeley.

Duck
02-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Revival is a dead coming back to life type of book. Little different then zombies though. By Tim Seeley.

I'll have to check it out I enjoy Tim Seeley alot. Thanks! :hi5:

ChunkyZergling
02-18-2013, 08:14 PM
PROS

No need for storage, more room for statue boxes!!!
Can be read in the dark
Feels better in my hand than paper
REALLY cool to have a HUGE comic collection in your hand that is the size of 1 comic book
You keep the comics forever and offline readable
Can take print screen shots of your favorite pages
No gas money and inconvience of going to comic shop
No need to spend time bagging and boarding
No need to buy bags and boards
Your girlfriend/wife won't know you are buying lots of comics

Cons
Some people like the feel of paper better
Some people like having a graphic novel/comic collection
No resell value

dalbelo
02-19-2013, 07:49 AM
PROS
Your girlfriend/wife won't know you are buying lots of comics

Lol, the best pro I have seen yet!

I will say one thing, for those that are FOR digital, at least the Marvel NOW 3.99 books, they come with a digital code. So you can get the best of both worlds! Just grab the code and sell the comic. Or for those that are FOR physical copies, keep the books and sell the codes.

Antman84
02-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Just for information from buying these for a few months now I've worked out the daily releases

Monday: sale
Tuesday: new free comics
Wednesday : new comics day
Thursday: new collections day
Friday: sale

Weekend : occasional sale

dalbelo
02-19-2013, 02:34 PM
good to know.

ChunkyZergling
02-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Do they release a TPB for most comics? E.g. Say New 52 Batman's 1-7. Will they release an 8 to say 13? And so on?

xYx
02-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Do they release a TPB for most comics? E.g. Say New 52 Batman's 1-7. Will they release an 8 to say 13? And so on?

If you mean digital, no. But if you mean hard copies then yes, mostly a full run or half of it if it's too long. NDC Batman did release one from #1-#7.

ChunkyZergling
02-19-2013, 07:50 PM
If you mean digital, no. But if you mean hard copies then yes, mostly a full run or half of it if it's too long. NDC Batman did release one from #1-#7.

Thanks. Since I only buy digital I was hoping to save money by just buying TPB's. Oh well.

Antman84
03-06-2013, 09:04 AM
There's a new free guardians of the galaxy infinite comic up now looks good there's going to be another free one as well :)

gdb
03-06-2013, 02:57 PM
There's a new free guardians of the galaxy infinite comic up now looks good there's going to be another free one as well :)

Unless my Comixology is buggin, it's like a motion comic.

Antman84
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Yeah they do move I think they are quite funky

gdb
03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
That was a fun read. Interesting use of movement. It cut up the Bendis dialog nicely. Thanks for the heads up Antman84!

Antman84
03-06-2013, 04:43 PM
No problem there's another in two weeks it's apparently free as well