Digital comics?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antman84

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm getting an ipad for Christmas and am trying to decide weather to go digital or stick with comic books.

Pros
Takes up less space
Can have them instantly
High definition comics look great

Cons
No hard copy
Nothing like the feel of paper
What if they change the app and you no longer have comics

I've been using the free code and it seems good
What do you all think?

Antman

i tried a few, but it just doesn't give me the same experience as paper comics.

for regular books, I don't mind reading them in digital on my iPad, but for comics, I only use it when I'm abroad or desperately want to read an issue I don't have.

At the minute I'm using both as marvel give the free code but was really impressed with the hd comics.

I switched to digital a while ago. I really enjoy it, it's great to have hundreds of comics in the space of a few print ones. I also started to branch out a lot more due to the constant sales Comixology puts out. I wouldn't worry about losing any comics due to a new app coming out, Comixology is the king and as long as the biggest publishers back it then it will remain that way.

Yeah absolutely.

I buy everything im interested in digitally via comiXology. The individual issues i LOVE, i'll mail order bagged and boarded.. and the series I'm collecting I'll order the trade.

So, I'm following multiple comics digitally, but only "physically collecting" Batman books.

In many cases I find the colour to really pop more on an iPad than in print.
Additionally, I can carry VAST amounts of unread books with me on the iPad for planes, trains etc.. And, I can read and re-read without fear of wrecking a physical copy.

In terms of money, it's probably cheaper for me to buy digitally. New releases launch at $4.99 with a price drop to $1.99 after the next issue launches. Many comics are $0.99 or free.

Being based in a regional area in Australia - if (and that's a big if) I can find a physical copy locally it's going to be $8.99 for an individual issue.
I can order online and get one delivered, bagged and boarded for about $10. Or I can get trades via BookDepository or Amazon for cheaper - like $20 for Issues 1 - 7 or something.

So for me, I only get the physical ones that I truly love - as it's cheaper, more convenient and generally a better experience for me digitally.
(Plus I can indulge my collector-gene through getting everything digitally, without cluttering up my limited storage space of buying everything physically).

Lots of pro's to digital.

The con is the fact that you effectively "licence" the issue. If the provider, say ComiXology in this case, fails as a business in the future, I'll lose many of the comics I've purchased.
But so long as I have the ones I truly love bagged and boarded (and unread, so MIIIINT), then I'm okay with this. It's kinda like hiring a video for a couple of bucks, but then never having to return it unless the store chain goes belly up.

Frankly, I think ComiXology is likely to be around for a long time anyway.

So far some very good arguments for digital I think some id still get in print like MAX titles but possibly will move over to digital for the rest. :)

I buy a handful of my comics weekly at my local comic shop, but the rest I get through ComiXology. I'd say at least 60-70% of my reading is digital. I think you've nailed the pros and cons. It's just so nice to be able to access them anywhere at anytime, which is perfect for this medium. I never know when I'll get a few minutes somewhere and can continue my reading. Also, I love not having 5-6 longboxes taking up precious space.

There is that possibility that at any time, your collection could just vanish. There's really no guarantee that they're yours forever, but the company seems to be doing well, so I'm optimistic.

I stick with paper monthlys of characters and series I love, buy the hardcovers when they're released, and buy hard covers and trades of stuff I don't pull but hear is great through the grape vine. Digital is cool, but it's not for me. I enjoy collecting comics almost as much as I do reading them, so having it physically is the only option.

I've moved over now the way I do it is I have a subscription to the marvel graphic novel collection but comics are bought digitally they look fantastic on the ipad. However I still buy the odd variant issue I really like here and there

I have a 64 GB ipad. Two weeks ago I decided to go all digital. I'm a single guy living in the city and ****ing statues boxes take up so much room I don't need them to have to compete with comics for space.

Also, very cool that once you buy a digital comic you will have it forever, anywhere, even if you're not connected to the Internet.

Paper feels good? I like the screen better and you can read in the dark.

And no trips to the comic shop.

And the other part that is awesome is the Monday and Friday sales :)

Also I've had the odd comic in the past with a print defect this is a guarantee of perfect pages that never deteriorate

I love heading to the comic shop, shooting the **** with the owner, and walking out with a bag of goodies. Would never see it as a con.

My comic shop owner is a bit strange but I like him. Every other person that works there is a wierdo or *******. That's just my store.

And the other part that is awesome is the Monday and Friday sales :)

Also I've had the odd comic in the past with a print defect this is a guarantee of perfect pages that never deteriorate

Go digital! And it is really cool having this huge comic, hundreds of comics, library right in the palm of your hand. Get the 64 GB ipad with retina display.

I don't feel like something belongs to me unless I can tangibly hold it but that's just me. Plus I'm a collector which makes it a no brainer. Also you can't exactly get your digital copies signed by your favorite writer/artist if you ever get the chance to meet them. :dunno

^Never thought of that last point. Yeah, having a tangible collection is the way to go for this nut. I get a daily kick out of looking at my comic shelf, at capacity, ready to explode with awesomeness

I don't feel like something belongs to me unless I can tangibly hold it but that's just me. Plus I'm a collector which makes it a no brainer. Also you can't exactly get your digital copies signed by your favorite writer/artist if you ever get the chance to meet them. :dunno

I'm completely in agreement, especially with the last point. I often go to Midtown Comics to have writers and artists sign comics and books in my collection. There's no way that I'd be able to do that if I only have digital copies.

I think that's why I buy digital but also collect variant covers that I like. Hoping to pick up a few cgc comics

This:
IMG_1491_zpsc035ad16.jpg

Or this:
Books01_zps56abef80.jpg

Books02_zps7c6bc440.jpg

Books03_zps3b38d7cd.jpg

Books04_zps47ddc8ac.jpg

Books06_zps53ab1b1b.jpg

Books05_zps1edddebe.jpg

Books08_zps59871f9a.jpg

Books07_zps3422e388.jpg

As cool as the crazy amount of books look on shelves. I would take digitally any day right now. Mainly for the space.

Back