Hot Toys Bespin Luke review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since last week was Halloween, it was also horror week at the site. This week we have a different theme - Star Wars! And tonight I'm starting out with one of the most anticipated figures in years, the Hot Toys Bespin Luke. He's extremely nice, with only one real problem for me that holds him back from a perfect score. And yes, it has to do with the sculpt.

You can find the review at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

And stay tuned this week for more Star Wars goodies - thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

Nice review; considering two figures at $150 each (in essence), figured the value $ category would have gotten top scores - best deal this year - to me

Great review Michael but Ill have to agree with Matt on the pricing of this set, with TWO full figures, a diorama base, AND a light up display environment piece at $300, as far value goes you get far more in this package at $300 that easily exceeds that price tag. There hasnt been another DX release that can even match that (well maybe DX04 with the exclusive body, but thats it). IMO this is another 4 star figure from HT. Aside from the hair pieces, theres not a lot wrong here.

Nice review; considering two figures at $150 each (in essence), figured the value $ category would have gotten top scores - best deal this year - to me

Collars up!:lol

Noticed that too. :lol

This has got to be one of your worst reviews yet Mike. At least picture wise. I agree with you on the sculpted hair but your poses, wacky PERS stares, and collar down look just don't do the figure justice. But that's what reviewers are for, to agree and disagree on different subjects within the hobby.

Mike actually prefers collar down as he mentioned.

But i agree, collar must be up! :lecture

And have to disagree with value score. $300 for 2 complete figures is amazing in todays price hikes. Especially for a Star Wars licensed collectible.
Lukes price makes it $150 per figure.

Luke comes complete with his undershirt, short jacket, pants, and boots. For one figure, there's a fairly clean set, with great pockets, snaps and stitching. The tailoring is fairly good, although the short jacket can ride up on the shoulders a bit. Also, I know someone will complain that I turned the collar down, but I prefer it that way - out of way of his chin.

Collars up!:lol

Noticed that too. :lol

No kidding, how am i supposed to take this seriously? :) And the value shoulda got top score sorry!

This has got to be one of your worst reviews yet Mike. At least picture wise. I agree with you on the sculpted hair but your poses, wacky PERS stares, and collar down look just don't do the figure justice. But that's what reviewers are for, to agree and disagree on different subjects within the hobby.
Michael Crawford review said:
Also, I know someone will complain that I turned the collar down, but I prefer it that way - out of way of his chin.
:p

Must be in the minority, but I really liked the review and pics; nor did the collar being down bug me (especially since Michael was aware of how it's 'supposed' to look). Nice to see this figure finally being reviewed at all and from one of my favourite sites, to boot. I'd agree with everyone else that the full set deserves more than the average 2.5 stars in terms of value, IMO. I was surprised that he enumerated all the good things about this set but still went for the average score. Sure $300.00 is a lot of dough but it's not really that much anymore in this hobby, unfortunately (compare this set to what you get for HT's X3 Wolverine @ $235.00, for example).

For sure, Deak, I only quoted you in regards to the heat he was taking for the collar. Didn't mean to imply you (or anyone else) were slamming his overall review.

Great to see this fig reviewed, thanks Mike. Interested to see that sculpt score - I knew the hair was a bit funky and bit Beiber, but not sure about it dragging the likeness down that much.

But I tend to agree on the value though - I think everyone needs to realize this set may be two figures, but it is two of the exact same figure other than some weathering and the alternate headsculpt.

It is a good value, but it is not the same value as a HT set that was say Han Solo in his Bespin outfit with complete accessories, combined with a different headsculpt Han in his Hoth outfit with complete accessories plus a large set piece accessory. THAT would be an incredible value for $300 - and that truly would be "two" figures, not a figure plus a dupe with different head.

I think the hair is great on this release. It looks very realistic.

I don't think the hair is that bad, but I was certainly taken aback by just how impressive the Hamill likeness was when I first removed the hairpieces. They definitely detract from the sculpt.

I also think $300 for two complete figures is a pretty great deal. The vane also looks superb. I'm hoping I'll be able to get two sets eventually.

Great review! I agree about the hair being less than stellar and detracting a bit from the overall likeness.

Disagree about the value though. No matter how you look at it you get two full figures, a great EX piece and an awesome diorama piece with light up features for a third more or less than what HT charges for most of their other single figures.

It's the best "value" for an HT figure in the last couple years with the exception of the SM3 red and blue Spidey for me.

Great review.

It's top value considering the current price of figures and I probably would have been happy to pay up to $50 more for it.

It's got a huge wow factor from the minute you open the box.

Sideshow would have been happy to charge $150 or so just for the weathervane. Anyone who thinks this figure doesn't get full marks for price is in the wrong hobby.

Sideshow would have been happy to charge $150 or so just for the weathervane. Anyone who thinks this figure doesn't get full marks for price is in the wrong hobby.

Really? Wow. You are saying Michael Crawford is in the wrong hobby. What ever.:slap

Really? Wow. You are saying Michael Crawford is in the wrong hobby. What ever.:slap

I think he's alluding to this https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=100054

The E web blaster is $150 by itself. I think most people who collect Star Wars related items expect to pay a licensing fee, but in this particular case the price for what you get seems pretty amazing. I also agree with an earlier comment that this is the best deal since the R&B Spiderman.

But I tend to agree on the value though - I think everyone needs to realize this set may be two figures, but it is two of the exact same figure other than some weathering and the alternate headsculpt.

It is a good value, but it is not the same value as a HT set that was say Han Solo in his Bespin outfit with complete accessories, combined with a different headsculpt Han in his Hoth outfit with complete accessories plus a large set piece accessory. THAT would be an incredible value for $300 - and that truly would be "two" figures, not a figure plus a dupe with different head.

I don't see two complete figures either. Clean outfit + BD outfit - regardless of the two sculpts and bodies - doesn't say 'two figures' to me in the way that, say, DX04 did. If you consider a clean + BD set to be two figures, you'll disagree with the value rating, but personally I think it's about right :)

Back