40th anniversary trip to DW

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetanut

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since I got to choose where we'd go/what we'd do for our 25th anniversary, I told hubby he can choose for our upcoming 40th (next December). He chose DisneyWorld....what a GREAT hubby!!:1-1::love

This time, we're going to go whole hog. We've been at least 8 times previously, but have always stayed off site in Orlando/Kissimmee. This time, gonna stay in one of their on-site resorts as well as combine the parks' visit with a 3-5 day cruise (Disney's natch!).

Any recommendations on which of the resorts to look into? (We have no interest in the "economy" choices BTW; looking at the "moderate" or higher levels.) Which ones to avoid?

Thanks for your input :D

My favorite resort is Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House. A savannah view is incredible, the resort itself is great, and easy access to probably my favorite restaurant in WDW - Boma. I stayed in Kidani Village as well, but greatly preferred Jambo. I didn't think Kidani offered any advantage (except for DVC villas, but even as a DVC member, I greatly prefer Jambo.) I guess privacy is a bit of an advantage, since Kidani always seemed much quieter.

If you're driving, the AK distance is not a big deal. When we stayed there, we were worried about it being the furthest resort, but that was never a problem.

It's hard to go wrong with a Deluxe resort, but they all have pros and cons. The Magic Kingdom resorts have easy access to MK (especially Contemporary - it's a five minute walk to the front gate) and Epcot via the monorail. But if you're driving, I actually found Contemporary inconvenient for the other parks, since getting from your resort parking lot and out of the MK resort area takes a while due to a lot of one lane (and you will ALWAYS be behind a bus) roads and speed bumps.

Beach / Yacht Club (I prefer Beach, but they're fairly similar) has easy access to Epcot's back entrance. But if you plan on using the MK monorail, you have to walk from the UK to the front gate to get there. But if you're driving, it's easy access to everything.

Saratoga is nice, and one of the more reasonably priced Deluxes (I think? I have DVC so I forget the cash prices.) It's a five minute walk to downtown, and is very quick access to all the parks via car. Cons are that if you take Disney transportation, the Saratoga complex is HUGE. I think it has like 8 bus stops. If you stay here, try to request a room near the water / Downtown. If you're on the far side of the resort, away from Downtown, this greatly reduces the proximity advantage, since it can add up to fifteen minutes to your walk to Downtown.

Those are the deluxes I've stayed in. I've also done Riverside, and that is a very nice resort.

Also, congrats on your anniversary! If my wife left this decision up to me, she wouldn't even need a response. "Where do you want to go for our annive... I'm not even going to finish, we're going to Disney World!" My wife and I always say that we are going to be those 90 year olds you see hobbling around the park, still getting it done after all those years.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Last year I stayed at The Boardwalk and had an awesome time there. The convenience of the actual Boardwalk area that has shops and places to eat combined with the entertainment along the boardwalk made for an excellent experience. Its proximity to Hollywood Studios is what made this an easy choice for us.
This past year I stayed at The Contemporary Bay Lake Tower and couldn't have been happier. The view of the lake was wonderful every morning and wallking distance to Magic Kingdom definitely made some days super easy. Plus, the use of the Monorail was definitely handy and more fun than the regular motor coaches.
Next on my agenda is the new Art of Animation hotel which looks like it should be a lot of fun.

Good luck on your choice as you really can't go wrong! Every place makes you feel like your home.

Congrats!

Last year I stayed at The Boardwalk and had an awesome time there. The convenience of the actual Boardwalk area that has shops and places to eat combined with the entertainment along the boardwalk made for an excellent experience. Its proximity to Hollywood Studios is what made this an easy choice for us.
This past year I stayed at The Contemporary Bay Lake Tower and couldn't have been happier. The view of the lake was wonderful every morning and wallking distance to Magic Kingdom definitely made some days super easy. Plus, the use of the Monorail was definitely handy and more fun than the regular motor coaches.
Next on my agenda is the new Art of Animation hotel which looks like it should be a lot of fun.

Good luck on your choice as you really can't go wrong! Every place makes you feel like your home.

One downside I found with Bay Lake - the shower water pressure is ridiculous. I felt like I was under machine gun fire. :lol

Congrats..me and my wife went for our first anniversary in May..her surprise to me. We stayed at the French Quarter which I liked..they completely redid all of the rooms so they are updated and clean...buses werent bad. My cousin swears by the Polynesian..I think I would prefer monorail access at the hotel..ive stayed at contemporary as well which I liked but I cant say how the rooms are now...been awhile. Wilderness Lodge was really cool as well..buses are the only downfall but the transportation is never awful there. If I could choose..I would say Polynesian.

Thanks for your input guys.....we'll have a rental car so transportation won't be an issue. Am leaning toward Polynesian, Saratoga, or Boardwalk. Def do NOT want to go All-Stars (of any) ..... my impression is that their prices, etc., are geared primarily toward youngsters (by the busload) and families who are on very tight budgets. Wilderness Lodge is out for me...am not a person who finds rustic that appealing.

Back