PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my 18" Kenner

skooternb
10-03-2012, 12:28 PM
I have been in the process of restoring my 18" Kenner Alien and was wondering what people think I should do. I would love to be able to get this thing looking like new, but I've been at a loss trying to find a mint dome for the head (I have one but it has a large crack in it).
Since this picture I've repainted and attached the arms:
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x424/skooternb/Alien%20Project/DSC_0991.jpg

I also would love to have one that I can repaint and add some 'umph' to. Basically, do you all think I should go ahead and customize this one while searching for an already complete/very good condition original, or hold off and continue to try and find a new dome? :gah:

I'm sad and can't decide...
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x424/skooternb/Figure%20collection/2012-10-02181250.jpg

riky
10-03-2012, 01:03 PM
The one you already have is not in box, not mint or complete. If you are going to customize one this one seems like the way to go.

skooternb
10-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I've been seriously thinking that, but I just need the justification to modify this vintage figure. For some reason I have no problem messing with ones that are brand new, but old figures tend to have that nostalgia and aura of classic that I tend to steer away from messing with them at all.

abake
10-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Still such a great figure!
If I were you I'd customize the hell out of it.

skooternb
10-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Still such a great figure!
If I were you I'd customize the hell out of it.

Now the question is what to do. :banghead

demorathis
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
how did you reassemble tha arms? I may need to imrpove the arm system - rubberbands deteriorate

abake
10-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Now the question is what to do. :banghead

Look around for a talented customizer with a style you like and let him get to work on your alien! A repaint would be nice to enhance the figure. Maybe a nice base or backdrop as well.

skooternb
10-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Look around for a talented customizer with a style you like and let him get to work on your alien! A repaint would be nice to enhance the figure. Maybe a nice base or backdrop as well.

I'm gonna be doing the repaint, but I would like a good template/direction/idea...

Sent from my little pocket-machine using Tapatalk

skooternb
10-03-2012, 06:51 PM
how did you reassemble tha arms? I may need to imrpove the arm system - rubberbands deteriorate

The original rubber parts were broken so I screwed in plastic screw holders for reinforcing screws in drywall. I temporarily put rubber bands in to be replaced with hair ties.

skooternb
10-03-2012, 06:51 PM
The original rubber parts were broken so I screwed in plastic screw holders for reinforcing screws in drywall. I temporarily put rubber bands in to be replaced with hair ties.

Follow up: I'll post some of the pictures soon.

abake
10-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm gonna be doing the repaint, but I would like a good template/direction/idea...

You should check out SilentSurfer's work on the Sano Alien Statue (post #1009):

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98306&page=51

I think it's pretty much the definitive Alien collectible.
If you look for earlier posts there's a lot of WIP shots. Truly beautiful work.

skooternb
10-04-2012, 05:23 AM
You should check out SilentSurfer's work on the Sano Alien Statue (post #1009):

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98306&page=51

I think it's pretty much the definitive Alien collectible.
If you look for earlier posts there's a lot of WIP shots. Truly beautiful work.

That is such an insane statue that I hope to own at some point... This could be my little bitty version :)

Thanks for the heads up, I totally forgot about that.

abake
10-04-2012, 09:45 AM
No prob man, glad to be of help!
:1-1:

Looking forward to seeing your work on that Kenner Alien.