PDA

View Full Version : What Collectable has given you the worst case of buyer's remorse??

plasticcrapmoneywaster
10-01-2012, 03:06 PM
I thought it might be fun to start a thread about that certain collectable, Star Wars or otherwise, that has given you the harshest case of buyer's remorse.

Mine is the Koto-whatever Vader from back in the day. Awesome figure, if it wasn't a $100.00++ leaning piece of crap. :monkey4

demorathis
10-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I thought it might be fun to start a thread about that certain collectable, Star Wars or otherwise, that has given you the harshest case of buyer's remorse.

Mine is the Koto-whatever Vader from back in the day. Awesome figure, if it wasn't a $100.00++ leaning piece of crap. :monkey4

They rereleased it soon after with SOLID pvc legs instead of hollow legs -- they subsequent ones never leaned so far they fell over...

the quality has improved even more --

plasticcrapmoneywaster
10-01-2012, 03:21 PM
They rereleased it soon after with SOLID pvc legs instead of hollow legs -- they subsequent ones never leaned so far they fell over...

Lucky me. :lol

Niltusk
10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
I've never had huge buyers remorse, but buying the Sucker Punch 1/6ths and now the fact that it looks like they won't finish the line makes me wish I'd never gotten them.

Close as I get I guess. :dunno

riblets
10-01-2012, 08:13 PM
The hasbro Darth Revan I just bought for 75 bucks!!

Boba Ben
10-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Since this is the Star Wars section, I'm going to say this 12" Hasbro figure. Star Wars Midnight Madness causes me to make bad decisions.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/albums/Star%20Wars/Episode%203/85181_5.jpg

Nitro
10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Hasbro Star Wars POTF2 line

While it was a gateway to what I collect today, I still had the worst case of buyers remorse looking at the MOC figures that I collected within a 3 year span and how much money I spent. I sold them awhile back for a fraction of what I bought them for.

a-dev
10-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Maybe the HT Platoon figures - they were outside of my usual sci-fi/fantasy type figures. I was worried they'd look out of place and they did. Sold Taylor, still have Barnes though.

Also...Enterbay T-800. The jump to high-end 1:4 scale is one I may wish I'd never made due to the expense.

MidnightClad
10-02-2012, 01:28 AM
I would have to say the worst case of buyers remorse for me is flex-paying the HT Joker DX 2.0 I never bought a single batman figure since they have been released and decided to start flex paying for the new joker....this has lead to a increasing purchasing of 1:6 HT batman figures which severely hurts the purchasing ability of all my star wars 1:6 figures....oh god I am so sorry star wars :thud:

Apone
10-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Got to be all the POTF figures...i have hundred on card...vehicles..12"...even micro machines and Bendem's...oiy

devilof76
10-02-2012, 03:23 AM
My judgment is impeccable. No regrets. :cool:

TheFiend
10-02-2012, 03:32 AM
Hasbro Star Wars POTF2 line

While it was a gateway to what I collect today, I still had the worst case of buyers remorse looking at the MOC figures that I collected within a 3 year span and how much money I spent. I sold them awhile back for a fraction of what I bought them for.

Got to be all the POTF figures...i have hundred on card...vehicles..12"...even micro machines and Bendem's...oiy

Same here. I had everything. Ugh.

shocktrooper_au
10-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Yep got a shed full of hasbro figures

devilof76
10-02-2012, 03:53 AM
I got tested for old Hasbro figures recently.

I'm clean. :bunnydanc

plasticcrapmoneywaster
10-02-2012, 09:44 AM
My Hasbro collection is massive. Although I've bought very little since 2006, it still take up massive amounts of storage, and most of it is damn near worthless.

kl241
10-02-2012, 10:14 AM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/rorywan/ScreenShot2012-10-02at171330.png

Rorywan
10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Haha, beat me to it.

:)

VintijDroidGutzz
10-02-2012, 12:32 PM
^ Man, that collage sums it right up doesn't it. :monkey1 :lol

skooternb
10-02-2012, 12:45 PM
My Hasbro collection is massive. Although I've bought very little since 2006, it still take up massive amounts of storage, and most of it is damn near worthless.

Yeah, I'm gonna put together all my old stuff that I don't display or enjoy, on card, loose whatever, and sell it in one big lot (hopefully).

I have remorse in buying the figures I bought that I had no personal connection to, but no regrets... if that makes sense.

xforce
10-21-2012, 12:19 PM
So far so good I would say nothing to date, maybe a twinge on the HT tumbler I know I dont have room to display but I love the piece.

karamazov80
10-21-2012, 12:28 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll97/rorywan/ScreenShot2012-10-02at171330.png
Damn my eyes for keeping my pre-order!!

Gipetto0812
10-21-2012, 12:29 PM

Haha, beat me to it.

:)

^ Man, that collage sums it right up doesn't it. :monkey1 :lol

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Funny how these kinds of comments have pretty much ceased about this figure. Now it's "da gratest Look Skywalka EVA!!!" :lol

VintijDroidGutzz
10-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Ah well.. we're only human. :D

flamingdead
10-22-2012, 04:04 AM
I'm with all the guys on the PotF regret, got boxes and boxes of then in the attic, just know I won't be able to sell them for squat.

Those, and my RAH jack sparrow, that figure looks bad by today's standards.

devilof76
10-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Ah well.. we're only human. :D

Some of us. :D

EVILFACE
10-22-2012, 05:20 AM

So how many canceled because of these pics? :lol

King Darkness
10-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Some of us. :D
http://stargods.org/ReptilianPage.htm

Weezer
10-22-2012, 05:30 AM
SSC's Boba Fett. Thank the maker I could return it.:D

Butters
10-22-2012, 05:30 AM
So how many canceled because of these pics? :lol

I did... :(

:lol

Customikey
10-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Everything I ever bought based on the Nolan Batman films.

Rorywan
10-22-2012, 05:36 AM

Why man? Novelty just wear off?
Or are you unhappy with the quality now? Had a look at your work Mikey.. it's :thud:

Jack Bauer
10-22-2012, 09:15 AM
:goodpost:

Oh man...for sure. It all seemed really cool at the time...but after about a month or so it just wears off. Sold all my Nolan HT and props and don' t regret it for a second. I have just always been a OT Star Wars guy...everytime I venture out I come right back thinking " what was I thinking".

Mike

omegaglory1
12-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Amok Time's Gort and Klaatu figure set. I paid a reasonable price on eBay (plus P & P) but got hit with a hefty customs charge. I hadn't expected it to be that much. Lesson learned, from now on stick to buying within the EU if possible.

sithlord13
12-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Actually very little. Sure some stuff is worth nothing like what I pay for it. ESP my comics !!

Actual regret is more around stuff I saw and passed on!! Marmit fett
Resin bsg on offer.

Although I could saw ep3 figures I moved to Ssc and medicom starting just after that and wasted so much on them.

Matt S
12-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Most of the Sideshow human figures - Ceremony luke, anyone?

Hasbro POTF2 line

My Ewok underwear collection

eczamurai
12-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Sideshow Vader. Ugly ass figure.

kl241
12-01-2012, 10:05 AM
:goodpost:

Oh man...for sure. It all seemed really cool at the time...but after about a month or so it just wears off. Sold all my Nolan HT and props and don' t regret it for a second. I have just always been a OT Star Wars guy...everytime I venture out I come right back thinking " what was I thinking".

Mike

Fair Weather Fans. A TRUE fan would never sell their stuff.

Niltusk
12-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Has this always been in Star Wars? I thought this was in the general section awhile back? :lol

DCFett
12-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Most of the Sideshow human figures - Ceremony luke, anyone?

Hasbro POTF2 line

My Ewok underwear collection

.... Praji, Piette, SNOW BUNNY PADME!
And while I love my Luke /Han troopers, I was more than a little upset about the "creative" promo photos!

Valfar
12-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Actually i have this statue and i love it, thinking of using my DX07 with the carbonite chamber base from this Koto Vader statue.

Now again, you say one was solid legs and one hollow..i think mine might be solid but, not sure...he stands just fine though and now if anyone knows this or not, this Koto Vader was bootlegged back in the day and while it looked ok, this bootleg had trouble standing...so maybe possibly one of the two is a bootleg or there are three variations now.

Hellion
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Kinda the opposite post for the theme here but one purchase I made that I regretted but then did a 180 degree turn on was the Sideshow Tusken Raider. Once I got him and futzed with him a bit he became one of the most impressive figure I have, you can achieve some really cool poses with him!

devilof76
12-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I ended up with a bootleg Koto Vader once. Not only was it fake, but the head had been partially glued on, and then broken off. The bottomfeeder I bought it from on ebay tried to claim I broke it myself. This goon sold laser pointer components as Predator shoulder cannons, and mystery envelopes that might have $200 in them.

Last time I looked him up, he was actually selling women's shoes. Way to go Al Bundy. :rock

firefly2121
12-01-2012, 10:06 PM
First the thousands of dollars I spent in the late 80's and early 90's on baseball cards (there so worthless), then hasbro figures both Star Wars and GI Joe (VvV, Spytroops) which I all stopped in 2009...I figured with time, money and gas I could have put a nice down payment on a new home.

jkno
12-02-2012, 01:14 AM
The 1:7 Kotobukiya Stormtrooper. The only Stormtrooper I had to take down from my Imperial and Stormtrooper focused collection. It has a quite accurate helmet and armor, but the pose is simply stupid like he is going to slap someone or get ready to dance. I cannot understand what the hell were Koto sculptors thinking when giving this freaking pose...

http://i47.tinypic.com/30lhq9s.jpg

krieg-der-sterne
12-02-2012, 03:24 AM
I ended up with a bootleg Koto Vader once. Not only was it fake, but the head had been partially glued on, and then broken off. The bottomfeeder I bought it from on ebay tried to claim I broke it myself. This goon sold laser pointer components as Predator shoulder cannons, and mystery envelopes that might have $200 in them.

Last time I looked him up, he was actually selling women's shoes. Way to go Al Bundy. :rock

hey,dont blame al bundy for that!!!:lol NOMAAM

devilof76
12-02-2012, 04:42 AM
Al Bundy sold me a broken, unfixable knock off. He'll get no mercy from me.

krieg-der-sterne
12-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Al Bundy sold me a broken, unfixable knock off. He'll get no mercy from me.

well,al got peggy,so is off much worse:lol:rotfl

slammer6
12-02-2012, 08:26 AM
For me it is the Hot Toys Predator figures I purchased just because I thought they looked cool but really had no attachment to the characters. Found myself selling them months later at some big losses. Wont make that mistake again, sticking to Star Wars and GI Joe from here on out.

Matt S
12-02-2012, 08:37 AM
.... Praji, Piette, SNOW BUNNY PADME!
And while I love my Luke /Han troopers, I was more than a little upset about the "creative" promo photos!

Yeah, i agree on the whole Han looking taller than Luke in that shot

Let me clarify: the Sideshow portraits are often excellent, like in the case of Han and Luke Stormie; its the factory paint work that absolutely ruins an excellent sculpt. And people will say, but trevor's sculpting is top notch, which it is, but if you cant see it in the finished product due to substandard paint work, then what's the point of having such a great sculptor.

lerath666
12-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Just about EVERY medicom figure I've ever purchased.

Bought them for 90-200$ Each..
Spent 300$ + On each of them replacing busted shoulders and hips.
I will never buy another one.

Valfar
12-02-2012, 12:18 PM
The 1:7 Kotobukiya Stormtrooper. The only Stormtrooper I had to take down from my Imperial and Stormtrooper focused collection. It has a quite accurate helmet and armor, but the pose is simply stupid like he is going to slap someone or get ready to dance. I cannot understand what the hell were Koto sculptors thinking when giving this freaking pose...

I think this pose was sculpted more to go with the extra Luke headsculpt this came with, emulating the EPIV Death Star detention level scene.

surfin4
12-02-2012, 10:09 PM
only figure i liked enough to rush out and preorder 2 of was enterbays G.O.D behind the scenes bruce lee ........harsh lessons were taught

Billy Ray
12-03-2012, 06:23 AM
I can't say I have any buyer's remorse when it comes to Sideshow/Hot Toys figures (I'm pretty picky) but as far as other collectibles go I would say the one that stands out is the Hasbro "Attack" R5-D4 figure, the one that opens up and has a launching missile. That one figure was what broke me of being a completist with that line.

plasticcrapmoneywaster
12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
I can't say I have any buyer's remorse when it comes to Sideshow/Hot Toys figures (I'm pretty picky) but as far as other collectibles go I would say the one that stands out is the Hasbro "Attack" R5-D4 figure, the one that opens up and has a launching missile. That one figure was what broke me of being a completist with that line.

Oh man, that was so 1996! Had I gotten a clue at that point it would have saved me thousands of dollars and an entire decade of wasting gas driving inbetween big-box stores. :gah:

Centurion
12-04-2012, 10:17 PM

I've never seen this piece before, but I know what you mean.

Kinda looks like he's getting ready to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQFSKHThznY

Valfar
12-05-2012, 09:50 AM
The pose is ok once you understand why they choose it...

http://swnz.dr-maul.com/images/Coll2/kotoSt_05.jpg

http://swnz.dr-maul.com/images/Coll2/kotoSt_06.jpg

Bo Shrek
12-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I see my 1/6th collection and my Hasbro/7 " scale figure collection differently. Being in the 1/6th game for only about two years I am not afraid to sell my items to help fund future figures.
I see my Hot Toys figures as "the best of the best". When I had Sideshow ROTJ Luke, ROTS Anakin and Mace displayed with my Jack Sparrow and Nicholson Joker I knew something had to go.
So I turned around sold them and purchased HT's Luke. The key to my HT's is don't dilute with to many of the same thing (ie. Predators/Aliens) one is enough to represent the franchise.

Today, when it come to the Hasbro/7 inch scale I usually collect for MOC purposes. I want the figures (ie. New Gremlins / Rocky / Preometheus) but I have no desire to open and display.
I have boxes of loose figures (ie. Mcfarlane Predator/Movie Maniacs) that I know are too outdated to display. So I sell them on craigslist to fund my future HT purchases.
I am cool with that because I have another carded in storage.

FLOSI
12-05-2012, 03:35 PM
My wife. :(

skooternb
12-08-2012, 01:19 PM

Nooooo!

Sent from the Monolith.

OutLander
12-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Ok...what purchase did she put the kibosh on this time? :lol

FLOSI
12-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Totally kidding. :D

jkno
12-10-2012, 01:04 AM
The pose is ok once you understand why they choose it...

http://swnz.dr-maul.com/images/Coll2/kotoSt_05.jpg

http://swnz.dr-maul.com/images/Coll2/kotoSt_06.jpg

From dozens of cool poses they could have chosen, scene accurate or not, they went with this girly one. No thanks. The same with the Cinemaquette Endo... :slap

Commander Cody
12-30-2012, 07:16 PM
its not star wars but i used to be a big godzilla fan as a kid and i seen the comic con little godzilla and thought it was awesome. i bought it and now have no idea why or what to do with it

demorathis
12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Actually i have this statue and i love it, thinking of using my DX07 with the carbonite chamber base from this Koto Vader statue.

Now again, you say one was solid legs and one hollow..i think mine might be solid but, not sure...he stands just fine though and now if anyone knows this or not, this Koto Vader was bootlegged back in the day and while it looked ok, this bootleg had trouble standing...so maybe possibly one of the two is a bootleg or there are three variations now.

Two variations n a bootleg...
My loose koto is a hollow leg version but I was able to keep him afloat by propping his tunic right up near his heels

Jay1138
12-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Like so many of us, my biggest regret are the dozens of factory boxes of POTF2 figures. They aren't worth sh** and I'll never make my money back on them. I suppose I had a blast collecting them, so I think thats worth something.

RavenEye
12-31-2012, 12:23 AM
LOL None... I always buy things ya can sell. :P

Mandible
12-31-2012, 04:04 AM

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Mandible
12-31-2012, 04:06 AM
From dozens of cool poses they could have chosen, scene accurate or not, they went with this girly one. No thanks. The same with the Cinemaquette Endo... :slap

Agreed on both accounts. What about the Koto "I'm about to take a bump" Vader?

Uncanny Web-Slinger
12-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Most recently would be the Bacara figure, guess i'm just burned out on clones

OutLander
12-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Most recently would be the Bacara figure, guess i'm just burned out on clones

You probably are burned out on clones. But if you just have him and the other clone commanders Gree,Cody,Bly and Neyo they make a great display together. Over time I think you'll appreciate them.

Prime Clone
12-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Not that I regret buying it, but the production version of Yavin Luke was my biggest disappointment, especially when the prototype looked great.