PDA

View Full Version : How many pre-ordered PF Spike & if not, how come?

Dayna
08-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Hey there fellow Buffy fans,

I have just read the most terrifying post ever:

Once they solicit it [PF Spike Exclusive] there's no real chance that he'll be cancelled. But as a fantastic rendition of the character I can't imagine every Buffy fan not buying it. If he doesn't sell that means it's less likely we'll get more Buffy PFs.

For reasons completely beyond my understanding the PF Spike is still available for purchase and even worse, has not once graced the Most Popular Products list, (as previously pointed out by olvidadero)

The mere suggestion of no more Buffy PFs has elevated my confusion to Great Concern! Please help me understand. Is the coat reallly that bigger deal? Surely one can have a longer coat made?
Everything else is absolutely perfect IMO, well... maybe not the base lettering but BIG DEAL!
You could always place Mr Pointy in front of it or something?

Including myself I know that at least 2 Spikes have been pre-ordered for keeps.

How many more of us have pre-ordered SPIKE PF?
And if not, please share why not?

Darklord Dave
08-22-2006, 09:09 PM
By the way - I speak with NO authority whatsoever. Skip and the Judge PFs could be in the works as we type right now. But it's likely that if a line is selling that line will not continue. We've seen that happen before.

Dayna
08-22-2006, 09:13 PM
I understand that comment was not set in stone, which is why I said the "suggestion" of no more Buffy PFs :peace

Darth Rage
08-22-2006, 09:49 PM
I ordered him.

TOE
08-22-2006, 09:54 PM
i'm actually thinking of cancelling my Buffy PF for the Spike PF. He has more accessories and more detailed fabrication and sculpt, IMO. I just wished that he would come with different other shirt to swap with.

Dayna
08-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Well that's 3 ordered & 1 potential...

I am getting a coat tailor made once he arrives and when I can spare the cash. The length really does bother me but it doesn't outweigh the brilliance of the sculpt, I'm willing to put in the extra for him to be perfect.

Aerosmith
08-22-2006, 10:35 PM
I him on pre-order.

Protozaius
08-22-2006, 11:30 PM
If I may be so bold... I have not nor will not order the Spike PF. It's nothing against the piece. I saw at SDCC... it's beautiful! Everybody ordering it will be glad that they did. I also thought the Buffy PF was stunning as well. They will look great display together. Just not in my home. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Me, however, I cannot afford such a piece, both in price and in space. I own a few PFs (Hellboy, and the first two Lukes) so I understand the committment they demand. It was heartbreaking to cancel my Star Wars PF pre-orders but something had to give.

Basically I had to make a choice... collect the 12"ers or the PFs. Since I've played with and collected 12"ers ALL MY LIFE (starting with Captain Action back in the day) my heart lies in the 1:6 world. IF I was honest with myself, I just enjoy the poseability of the 12"ers. I just re-positioned and re-clothed my SS Jedi Luke to look like he did when he entered Jabba's lair (he has been in his final Dual with Vader garb ever since I bought him) and he looks totally different... it feels like a whole new figure to me. I like that option. You can't do that with statues... even ones as beautiful as the mix media PFs.

It's a matter of personal choice and economic limitations. I can live with that.

Enjoy your Spike PF. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

bluesparrow
08-23-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm not ordering him, though I did order the Buffy PF. The reasons why are mainly price and space. Space actually being the bigger concern. I need to limit myself to only the PFs I absolutely want, which is why I only have two on order, Buffy and Boba Fett. I probably won't get another in the Buffy line, unless they make a really awesome Dark Willow or something.

BDboystoys
08-23-2006, 12:26 AM
I ordered him too, it seemed to me that when he was released everyone was crazy about him, from SS site and the con. Im abit puzzeled why he isnt up there, but he's just briliant so anyone not ordering it is missing out on the best spike and excl ever.
Money would be the issue though, and perhaps many avid Buffy and Angel fans are already collecting the 6" and 12" figures along with opther merchandise they cant afford it or dont want to for some reason. I cant be sure but I'm just certain I'll love it:D :D ...AND my Buffy.

Josette
08-23-2006, 02:36 AM
I answered in the other Spike PF thread before I saw this one, but for me it comes down to money and space. I've never planned on collecting 1/4th scale Buffy. While I'm a Buffy fan, for me to spend that kind of money on individual figures the line would have to be either Dark Shadows or Pirates of the Caribbean, my two favorite fandoms, so-to-speak.

I'm satisfied with my 1/6th scale Buffy figures and they enable me to purchase more of the Buffy characters.

oxbeard
08-23-2006, 03:22 AM
I have him ordered. Not even a second thought.

olvidadero
08-23-2006, 03:45 AM
I never doubted it either. PF Spike is definitely going to be mine. I am a 12 inch and 6 inch Buffy collector. I'm giving the Diamond Select line a break because there are too many things coming out these days and my priorities lie in Sideshow. I pre-ordered PF Spike as soon as it became available. I must say, I'm short of money and couldn't afford this gorgeous statue right now, however I pre-ordered it and started saving money for the time my credit card gets charged. I just wanted to make sure I had mine, and start worrying about the money once he starts shipping. Plus I'm in the EU, so I will probably have extra time to make the final payment.

I gess money is the biggest issue when deciding wether to buy this precious statue or not. However, for me, if I had decided not to get it, it'd have been because of the sculpt. I mean, it's ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, but it's a re-do of the old 12 inch Spike, as far as I can see. Anyway, the Vamped out head is the best exclusive accesory ever made. That maybe was the factor that made me think: this is mine, no matter what!

BDboystoys
08-23-2006, 04:34 AM
but it's a re-do of the old 12 inch Spike, as far as I can see. Anyway, the Vamped out head is the best exclusive accesory ever made. That maybe was the factor that made me think: this is mine, no matter what!

Im actually aware that its a completely new sculpt, as its 1/4 scale not 1/6. Theyre both just so perfect its hard to tell.

I too ordered it without thought, I just have to have it. I feel most wont want a 1/6scale as they would prefer to have as many characters from the shows than afew doubles in 1/4 scale and 1/6. As there's going to be alot of character possibilities for these shows.

olvidadero
08-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Im actually aware that its a completely new sculpt, as its 1/4 scale not 1/6. Theyre both just so perfect its hard to tell.

Really? You're probably right. I looked at both sculpts and they're so equally perfect I could've thought they're the same. Anyway, Oluf Hartvigson is the artist who did both, so I can see him altering the original sculpt just a bit to make it look subtly different for the PF version and then concentrate on the game face. I mean, I doubt he did a completely new sculpt having done a perfect one in the past... but you never know.

In all, being the same sculpt or not, the expressions and features are practically the same, so it's kind of like paying for the same figure in another scale (something I'll do no matter what, I'm a completist).

Murderofcrows71
08-23-2006, 06:05 AM
I have both the Buffy and Spike ordered, my first PF's ever. I've begun to think about cancelling the Spike though. My reasons would have to do with that a) I'd rather have an Angel PF to display with Buffy. and b) too much stuff is gonna be coming out at the same time to afford all of it. I ordered the 1/6 scale Jabba and environment which is scheduled around the same time as Spike and I can't afford $600 or $700 all at once.

adrijami
08-23-2006, 06:13 AM
I have both the Buffy and Spike ordered:chew :chew I will think about the money later:lol

BigLeagueChu
08-23-2006, 06:48 AM
I am not collecting any PFs, but I did get the Buffy because no where else can I get such a phenomenal piece. I have Spike on order, but am not sure if I'll keep or cancel him. I saw him also at SDCC, and he is perfect. I just don't know if I want another PF when I'm not really into the mixed media at the moment. This may all change though :D

Firefly Flanatic
08-23-2006, 07:25 AM
If I may be so bold... I have not nor will not order the Spike PF. It's nothing against the piece. I saw at SDCC... it's beautiful! Everybody ordering it will be glad that they did. I also thought the Buffy PF was stunning as well. They will look great display together. Just not in my home. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Me, however, I cannot afford such a piece, both in price and in space. I own a few PFs (Hellboy, and the first two Lukes) so I understand the committment they demand. It was heartbreaking to cancel my Star Wars PF pre-orders but something had to give.

Basically I had to make a choice... collect the 12"ers or the PFs. Since I've played with and collected 12"ers ALL MY LIFE (starting with Captain Action back in the day) my heart lies in the 1:6 world. IF I was honest with myself, I just enjoy the poseability of the 12"ers. I just re-positioned and re-clothed my SS Jedi Luke to look like he did when he entered Jabba's lair (he has been in his final Dual with Vader garb ever since I bought him) and he looks totally different... it feels like a whole new figure to me. I like that option. You can't do that with statues... even ones as beautiful as the mix media PFs.

It's a matter of personal choice and economic limitations. I can live with that.

Have to agree with most of what you've said here. As much as I love this figure, I just do not collect the PF figures. Price and space is the biggest reason why. I have the entire 12" collection for this line and adding all that up is quite a lot of money right there.

I think the fact that we just got D'Hoffryn and four upcoming Buffy/Angel 12" figures coming out in the very near future and the PF Buffy too has put a dent in most collectors pockets.

D'Hoffryn - just shipped recently
City of Angel - Estimated to ship in September
You're Welcome Cordy - Estimated to ship 4th quarter 2006
Lorne - Estimated to ship 1st quarter 2007
Giles - Estimated to ship 1st quarter 2007
PF Buffy - Estimated to ship September

That's a lot of figures in a short time span. And we normally don't get three 12" figures announced so closely together and then on top of that two PF figures available too. If PF Spike had been announced on his own without the competition of three amazing and highly desired 12" figures he'd be selling out quickly.

olvidadero
08-23-2006, 08:22 AM
I totally agree. See Sideshow, it's not that we're not that interested in the line anymore, it's just that we're NOT rich! (most of us, I gess lol).

Games&Theory
08-23-2006, 08:49 AM
I ordered Exclu Buffy the very moment she was available and ditto Exclu Spike...and I ordered through Sideshow just to make sure my "votes" to support this line were well and duly counted...retailer discounts be damned!

I originally missed out on the Buffy 12" line because, well, I'm lame. I simply wasn't aware of them until this past year. I was taken aback by how much catching up I had to do. Ironically, though, my the lack of investment in the 12" line made it a no-brainer for me to dive into the PF range once it was announced.

Because these PFs are my first statue range to collect, space isn't an issue (...though the siren's call for more lines grows...stronger...each day...). Also, I don't feel compelled to hold resources in reserve to keep up with the 12" line releases since I have decided to not play catch-up pn the Buffy Line (though I am toying with getting the Angel line). That way I can squirrel away my dollars to get my annual/semi-annual Buffy PF release.

So, going forward, SS can count me I'm in for each and every member of the Buffy PF range they offer. I know we can likely expect another Buffy or so but as along as they also do the Scoobies (with an Angel and Tara thrown in for good measure)..well...SS can add me in as another lifelong supporter to their growing ranks (especiialy if they tighten up and kick off a Firefly/Serenity line...any scale will do!).

FrankenFan
08-23-2006, 08:57 AM
I have bought, and will continue to buy, every Buffyverse item Sideshow produces. Period. Stop. No negotiations. Meeting adjourned.

I am getting a coat tailor made once he arrives and when I can spare the cash. The length really does bother me but it doesn't outweigh the brilliance of the sculpt, I'm willing to put in the extra for him to be perfect.
Apart from the sleeves being too short, what first stuck me about the coat is that it's too tailored for Spike. He swam in that thing! It always appeared (to me) to be a size or two too big for him. The length of the coat itself doesn't bother me but, I do think lengthening the sleeves would be a major improvement and make it appear much more accurate.

http://www.kurtgoldzung.com/MB/bffybt.jpg

CookieMonster
08-23-2006, 09:38 AM
I put my order in as soon as he went up for pre-order. I also ordered one for a friend (using his account...yes, he does trust me) so thats 2 more to add to the list.

Darklord Dave
08-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Regarding the sculpt - the 1/6 and PF sculpts are similar, but Oluf had to make some accomodations with the 1/6 to make it conform to the standard 1/6 neck. So the PF looks much better to me. Add the more subdued vamp face change-o-head and you have the best Spike ever made.

I would agree about the coat though - the sleeves are a bit short.

Fritz
08-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I also have both ordered. I'm a big fan of Premium Format but at this time money is the main factor. Although somehow someway I will get both of these figures when they are released, that doesn't mean they'll be the exclusives. If price is still an issue when the start shipping, I may have to cancel and go with a regular version from a retailer at a lower price. This won't bother me too much with Buffy since I'm not overly in love with the exclusive. It's nice and all but not a deal breaker. Spike may be different. The vampire face is a cool exclusive option but in the end, I can't display both and I'd most likely display the human face.

buffy-collector
08-23-2006, 10:34 AM
I didn't order as im not a fan of Spike as a character. So I didn't want to spend money on somthing to do with my most hated character.

I didnt order Buffy due to her hair,I had her ordered but canceled her later.

Shadow King
08-23-2006, 10:37 AM
I have it on order as it is a good sculpt. I showed my wife who is a big Buffy fan and she likes the Vampire face best so I guess we might get the exclusive.

sueworld
08-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Apart from the sleeves being too short, what first stuck me about the coat is that it's too tailored for Spike. He swam in that thing! It always appeared (to me) to be a size or two too big for him. The length of the coat itself doesn't bother me but, I do think lengthening the sleeves would be a major improvement and make it appear much more accurate.

I agree there. As I said when the prototype was released there are a few things wrong with his costume, including the length of coat and sleeves, the shirt, and the narrowness of the coat sleeves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/sueworld2003/compare.jpg

After saying that I am desperately trying to scrap the money togther to get him, as I'm a huge fan of his character and I love the sculpt. I just wish that sometime Sideshow looked a little more carefully at their photographic reference when creating a figure that's all.

Games&Theory
08-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Maybe it's the teeny-tiny display area I've been alotted or maybe it's the fact I've chased far too many collectibles in my day, but in recent years, I try to stick to buying "definitive" versions of characters I want in statue form. To me, the crux of being able to call a statue "definitive" is that it has to both be based on iconic reference material and stand out as a great (if not stellar) statue on its own..regardless of any baked-in affection for the character.

If the production verison holds true to the previews we've seen, then this will be the definitive version of Spike. Simple as that. There may be other versions made by other companies but it will be very unlikely that I ever indulge in another Spike statue. I am one and done since I have the Exclu Spike PF on pre-order...the swappable heads will easily fend of any tempation to ever replace him with something "more" definitive.

The Buffy PF, by comparison, I cannot call definitve. I still have it on pre-order becuase it is by far the absolute best version of the character available. I am a true diehard fan and want to support the line so I'm in... but I do hope we see a defninitve Buffy PF one day. It will certainly need to be based on reference material that is more iconic than the relatively-obscure ad campaign photos from Season 1 that we got.

I wish I had a clue as to what SS's master plan for this PF line is/was. It certainly seems like one PF inspired by each season (at least that's what we got so far) and would help explain why we got Buffy (the obvious first choice to begin the line) in a seemingly-random outfit. There certainly wasn't as large a wardrobe budget in S1 and it really isn't until S2 that I get any flashes of "iconic" imagery of Buffy.

Personally, and with the luxury of hindsight, I think the Buffy PF would have better bowled people over had the subject material been at least better known (i.e., more inspiring) to the customer base. That means it would have been taken from a later season...and assuming my guess of one PF per season is even close...that was not an option...dunno...just thinking out loud I guess...

BillyBudd
08-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I ordered Exclu Buffy the very moment she was available and ditto Exclu Spike...and I ordered through Sideshow just to make sure my "votes" to support this line were well and duly counted...retailer discounts be damned!

Me, too.

I also agree that the Spike PF will be the definitive Spike statue for years to come. I very much doubt that a superior one will be released any time soon...or ever.

Dayna
08-23-2006, 08:30 PM

Beautifully said... that's why I think the 12" will always hold/escalate their value more than the PFs ever will.

Dayna
08-23-2006, 08:39 PM
I didn't order as im not a fan of Spike as a character. So I didn't want to spend money on somthing to do with my most hated character.

WOW! Your most 'hated' character?? How does that work? What is it about Spike that bothers you most? Very curious & bewildered...

Dayna
08-23-2006, 09:03 PM
UGH! This could be better but then I guess all who ordered him don't necessarily frequent the forums.

So far we have 15 definite homes for Spike:
olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games& Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2 :clap
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa (:rock MAN!)

4 Reserved but alas, still undecided:
TOE
FireflyFlanatic
Murderofcrows71
I too know the pain of living on bread and butter but it's worth it IMO :D
BigleagueChu - not into mixed media at the moment hey? Wait until you have Buff in your hot little hands! You'll be hooked!

sueworld did you end up ordering one?

SSC_Nerd
08-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Oh, put me on the list too. I'm not absolutely sure, but the chances are I will keep him.

Dayna
08-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Oh, put me on the list too. I'm not absolutely sure, but the chances are I will keep him.

MAKE THAT 16 DEFINITES :D
olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd

TheObsoleteMan
08-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I've got the exclusive ordered.

BDboystoys
08-23-2006, 11:51 PM
lol Nice list:D
But ye I've always wondered about your hatred to Spike Buffy-colector! Could you share? It seems he just one of the most LOVEd characters so to have someone hate him is interesting!

sueworld
08-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Well you can add me to the 'pre-order list' I caved in and ordered him. God knows how I'll find the money to pay for him though! *wails*

TOE
08-24-2006, 03:38 AM
my post states that I will be cancelling my PF Buffy just to get the PF Spike :D

BigLeagueChu
08-24-2006, 08:07 AM
BigleagueChu - not into mixed media at the moment hey? Wait until you have Buff in your hot little hands! You'll be hooked!

i know it!!! i saw pf buffy at sdcc and loved it. yeah it's mixed media but such a simple black outfit doesn't detract from the "statueness" of it. spike would be great to go with her though, especially with the change-o-head exclusive. i love that.

Darklord Dave
08-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Statues are a dead art form - the future is Premium Format!

binky
08-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Preordered Spike PF the first day it became available, same with Buffy PF, and all the Buffy 12” figures, and I have every intention of keeping all the preorders. I’ll do the same for Angel PF and whatever 12” is left (fingers crossed). I’m doing the same for Star Wars (PF and 12” – I don’t bother with 4” or 6” or busts/statues etc on either line), and will continue to do so as long as money isn’t an issue (knock on wood—I know I’ve been lucky on that). Those two lines are the only ones I’m sticking through thick and thin on, and it’s mostly because of the source material. I can’t imagine not loving Buffy and Angel five, ten, fifteen years down the road. These were, to me, THE best “free” television I’ve ever seen. Even season six and seven of Buffy, what I think were the weakest, were better than just about everything else on tv at the time. I couldn’t say the same for Bond, Hellboy, or most of the LOTR poly that I’ve resold since buying them from SS (though I’m going to try the LOTR 12” instead). YMMV, of course.

While money isn’t an issue, space sure is. I’ve got 100 of 200 total Dragon figures that I’m slowly unloading to ease the crunch. Still, between the LEGO (my other big space-hogging collection), LOTR poly I decided to keep, Star Wars, historical military, and Buffy, I can easily see the potential for another inevitable purge. The next to go will be the rest of the historical military, then X-Files (have all the 12") but they might have to bury my Buffy stuff with me.

Viking28
08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
I have Spike preordered, he's my favorite character from the show. But to be honest I don't know how many other PF's I would buy from this series. I got the two I wanted Buffy and Spike.

ffl1940
08-24-2006, 12:55 PM
A friend of mine who doesn't have a single other item by Sideshow, or any 12" figures from anyone for that matter, ordered the Spike PF because he likes BTVS and he thought the PFs were cool when I showed him some pics. However, he didn't order the Buffy PF for two reasons. First, He doesn't believe it's worth the $250 esp. when you put it side by side with other $250 PFs like the KISS figures, John Wayne, Hellboy, Punisher, and SO many others. (I feel the same way but ordered Buffy anyway) And second, he, unlike myself, is willing to wait and see if Sideshow puts out a better outfitted PF Buffy down the line.

I REALLY hope that Sideshow decides to put out another Buffy PF in an action pose and detailed outfit next year I have more than one room so I can use more than one Buffy PF!!

Migwit
08-24-2006, 03:05 PM
I would LOVE to order both Buffy and Spike PF's, but regrettably I had to make a decision for both space and money reasons. I was already collecting the Universal Monster PF's and the Star Wars PF's when SS announced Buffy PF's! My house won't be getting any bigger, and my paycheck isn't expanding significantly any time soon, so.... Perhaps if the Buffy PF's had started coming out before I was already collecting other lines, I feel certain I would have jumped on these without hesitation. Believe me, it's painful to NOT order these as I think they're both fabulous, and I want to support the line for future releases. However, I will, with much regret, be passing on the Buffy PF line. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

(On a brighter note from my perspective, I collect ALL the 1/6 Buffy/Angel figures, and they're oh so much fun to pose and play with!) :monkey3 :lol

Protozaius
08-24-2006, 03:06 PM
And second, he, unlike myself, is willing to wait and see if Sideshow puts out a better outfitted PF Buffy down the line.

I REALLY hope that Sideshow decides to put out another Buffy PF in an action pose and detailed outfit next year I have more than one room so I can use more than one Buffy PF!!

Ain't gonna happen. You can bank on it. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

ffl1940
08-24-2006, 04:15 PM

I'm not reading the board enough to know who is who. Do you have a contact within Sideshow that told you that? I hadn't heard it anywhere else. Or is that just a guess based on past performance? (Buffy has sold better than quite a few other PFs have BTW). If so I don't think that means much. If Sideshow doesn't have people smart enough to figure out that a fully equipped/outfitted action-pose Buffy PF would sell better than one standing still based off of a promotional picture with hardly any outfit/accessories then they should get out of the business...not that I want them to!!! :D

BillyBudd
08-24-2006, 06:03 PM
I like the Buffy outfit and pose. Buffy doesn't really have a signature outfit. I'd rather see Sideshow do something simple and do it well than attempt something complex and fail to pull it off.

Dayna
08-24-2006, 06:09 PM

Have you guys seen the Attakus Buffy in action statue?
It's a great idea although looks nothing like Buff IMO.
I doubt SS will release another PF Buffy too but if they do an Action Buffy is a fantastic idea. No room for 2 PF Buffy's but I'd definitely make room for that one!!

The list is looking a little healthier having now 22 homes for SPIKE
olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd
TheObsoleteMan
sueworld
TOE (apologies, I read your post thinking it meant you were still undecided. don't get the whip out kay? :o )
binky - $$$ bags :D
Viking28
ffl1940

Oh migwit, I feel your pain I really do. Is there nothing you can sell? That's been my solution in the past...

and HEY, how many posts does it take to be not 'just a little freaky' anyway ???

Darklord Dave
08-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Knowing how the Buffy line has progressed, it's a safe bet that if no one buys this PF Buffy, then there won't be any more PF buffies.

It was said in chat by a SSC person that the reason she's in such a minimalist outfit is that they wanted to devote the development resources to the figure, rather than the outfit.

Dayna
08-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Knowing how the Buffy line has progressed, it's a safe bet that if no one buys this PF Buffy, then there won't be any more PF buffies.
I don't get it, the PF Buffy has sold out.

It was said in chat by a SSC person that the reason she's in such a minimalist outfit is that they wanted to devote the development resources to the figure, rather than the outfit.

Funnily enough the outfit was a major selling point for me (especially my hubby :rolleyes: )

Darklord Dave
08-24-2006, 08:03 PM
It's sold out of a very small edition size.

Dayna
08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
It's sold out of a very small edition size.
Oh I see :o

carbo-fation
08-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I didn't buy it because I never watched the show, nor have I ever seen Buffy!:monkey3

Dayna
08-24-2006, 09:11 PM
I didn't buy it because I never watched the show, nor have I ever seen Buffy!:monkey3

Makes sense to me :lol

Darklord Dave
08-24-2006, 10:11 PM
THAT'S NO EXCUSE! Go order one now... NOW!

What are you waiting for?!

Get on it!

ffl1940
08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
"It's sold out of a very small edition size."

I know people love Buffy (as I do), but I really do believe that the popularity of Star Wars and LOTR have skewed how people look at something being a success judging by edition size. You just cannot compare Buffy to Lord of the Rings, Marvel, or Star Wars when it comes to edition sizes, and thus how "successful" the line is. Sideshow was making PF figures before they got those licenses with lower production numbers. Those lines have more fans, thus more will be made and sold.

Instead you need to look at other PFs that aren't from those lines and compare Buffy to them.

Sean Connery's PF (2000 made) as Bond didn't sell out but that didn't stop Sideshow from Brosnan as Bond (1250) who also hasn't sold out but that didn't stop Sideshow from making Roger Moore as Bond (only 400!!!!). Now, I don't think there will be a PF George Lazenby (limited to only 3!!! :lol ) but Sideshow showed they were willing to continue with a line with some very small numbers.

Captain Kirk and Spock (only 1000 of each) took a LONG time to sell out and yet Seven of Nine was make a couple years later (and only 600 total of her, less than Buffy)

Sideshow announced the KISS line with lots of hoopla, but with only 200 of each of them as exclusives they have't sold any of those out, but I still think we'll see more rock stars.

Regarding giving Buffy a minimalist outfit to devote resources to the figure itself. I believe what they're trying to say is that because they have to sculpt an entire unique body for Buffy, instead of just hands, head and feet like they do with some figures that have clothes to cover them up that the body cost more money. How do they explain Hellboy, or a KISS figure having both unique exposed chests but being the same price with far more elaborate outfits, and for heaven's sake, the Green Goblin is only $50 more but has FAR FAR more sculpting costs than must have been involved.

It's just my opinion, and I don't run a successful collectibles company, but I believe the current Buffy PF would have been more successful at $200, like some earlier PFs were priced. I also think that they could have sold more at $250 if (using their own statement about costs being in the body) if they'd forgotten about that, done a full outfit to cover the "body" and really gone all-out with the costume/accessories and made a season 7 final battle Buffy with the scythe. Using their own logic, if they didn't have to sculpt the fully body they could have done a fully equipped and outfitted figure for that price like Punisher Hellboy, Van Helsing, John Wayne, KISS and so many others.

At the VERY least, the exclusive version could have had something better than the lump of polystone book!!!

I will hold out hope, based on the history of the Bond PFs and other non Mega-License PFs that we'll see another Buffy PF, unless I hear otherwise direct from a Sideshow rep.

Again, I say all this as someone who is buying Buffy, imagine what I'd post if I was ticked enough to not buy it!!! :rotfl

FrankenFan
08-25-2006, 01:24 PM
I was very happy to see a season one Buffy selected as the inaugural figure in what I hope will be an ongoing line of Buffyverse PFs, but I agree that basing the design on the early publicity photos may have been a bit of a misstep in the sense that those shoots portray Buffy as serious, reluctant, almost vulnerable, rather than the sassy, confident, courageous girl we meet in the series.

I was the one who asked Tom Gilliland about the decision to keep it simple, and this was his reply:

SideshowTom: our concern was keeping the project manageable considering we weren't sure how well-received a Buffy i n 1/4 scale might be
SideshowTom: working on the body and trying out a different type of long hair was really where most of the R&D went.

I can definitely see where the money was spent on the body; It's SMG right down to her knobby knees and man-hands, but I think the figure as it stands could have been improved simply and inexpensively by adding a few simple accessories like the funky, colorful bubble-rings she wore, and of course, her signature cross necklace.

I can certainly understand the desire for a more elaborate costume. Buffy had a charming, idiosyncratic sartorial style, typical of a 16-year old girl experimenting with fashion that was an essential part of her role of helpless school girl by day and heroic slayer by night.

But picking an "iconic" Buffy is not an easy task. I think A "Chosen" Buffy, as described by ffl1940 would be killer, as would "Never Kill A Boy On Your First Date, (When the apocalypse comes, beep me!)" "Graduation Day, Part 1 (Faith smackdown)," or "Anne (Hunga-Munga)" Buffys. She may have a signature style but, as BillyBudd observed, she did not have one particular signature outfit.

My main concern right now is that the changes made to the figure since the introduction of the prototype at Toy Fair are not, IMO, improvements.

To get slightly back on topic: Don't hold the people who frequent message boards as barometers for how well a product will sell. If we were truly the purveyors of success, Snakes On A Plane and Serenity would have made POTA money.

http://www.kurtgoldzung.com/MB/wvb.jpg

Darth Kustomizer
08-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Not me. No interest in any of the PF stuff.

Protozaius
08-25-2006, 02:08 PM
While I do agree that the edition sizes of Sideshow Star Wars items have the appearance of skewing things, I really do think there is more going on than JUST that.

Gone are the days where Buffy figures have the edition sizes of 7000-6000.

A telling sign that things have changed drastically in the last few years is the edition size of Cordelia. I was pretty shocked to see that she was only 1500! WOW and it's A CORE character that Buffy fans have been wanting for YEARS!!! To compare, Der Kindestod, a one-shot villian, edition size is 2500. What a difference in expectation this represents. And Sideshow has PLENTY of Kindestods left... I'm sure Sideshow wishes they had pared down that particular figure sooner.

I think that Buffy is viewed by Sideshow as a waning property... one that was once VERY profitable but now is just turning a profit. Just how far Sideshow is willing to go... to ride this downward trend is uncertain. But they are aware of this trend. That is why they were conservative with the first (and probably ONLY) Buffy PF. And their suspicions were correct. She was a slow seller. Would they have made more money if they had Buffy in a more action pose? Maybe. But the fact that Sideshow wouldn't gamble on it speaks volumes on how they view the property. My thoughts, I think that MOST PFs don't have overly active poses. They tend to be iconic poses... which may not be that of action. The Star Wars PFs of Han, Luke, Leia, Dagobah Luke, and Boba come to mind.. as well as ALL of the Universal Monster ones. I also think that subtle poses display better... they draw attention but do not DEMAND too much attention. Again, just my two cents

Bond is an interesting property. Unlike Buffy, it is a franchise that is still active... there is a new Bond film opening later on this year. And when there is a new one in theaters, there is always re-newed interest in the past Bond films... marathons of Bond films become plentiful. And since there is a new actor playing Bond this time, there is going to be some emphasis on who has played Bond in the past. So Sideshow wisely unveils "The Legacy" Bond collection. But the edition sizes have been fairly small... compared to the first Dr. No Bond figure which had an edition size of 15,000 (I believe). As you detailed, the Bond PF editions have dropped significantly since the first one.

As for the Star Trek PF, I spoke to SS VP Mat Falls about them and he said the Sideshow staff was VERY surprised that those didn't sell. The ONLY reason they released a Sebven of Nine is becuase she was already far into the planning steps when the line tanked. So they adjusted the edition size accordingly so they can limit the loss and curb any overstock. You can also bank that there will be no more Star Trek PFs.

As for your the Kiss PFs, I think of it two ways. One, I think they are deemed a set and Sideshow set of edition low to accomodate those few of us that would be willing to buy all of them. Two, Kiss is a well worn property. Maybe the expectation was low to begin with. Finally and more significantly, the Music Legends PF line has the potential to cater to a different pool of collectors for each and every offering. For example, I have NO interest in a Kiss PF,let alone FOUR of them. Nor would I buy a Johnny Cash PF or an Elvis PF. But if Sideshow sees fits to make a Freddie Mercury PF... I would buy it without even blinking. Queen has meant SO much to me over the years that I would lift my personal ban on PFs to obtain him.

I'm not sure how many people will view this Music Legends line as one to "collect them all". Musical tastes are varied across the board. The same person that would buy a Elvis PF may not be the same person that would buy a Janis Joplin PF. So if the Kiss line is viewed as a failure (I'm not sure that it is) it's not something that will sink the line. I think that there is generally a high hopes for this line for both Sideshow and collectors.

Here are some questions that I find myself asking about the sales of Sideshow Figures

- So how many figures does Sideshow have to sell to order for that figure to be considered a success? It's probably a sliding scale... factors like licensing and material fees probably play a part in the equation.

- At what rate should a figure sell in order for Sideshow to view that figure a success? A sold out figure is a sold out figure. Does it matter if it takes 2 hours or two weeks or two months... or two years. Again the edition size plays into this.

- Does the introduction of a new figure in a line hinged upon the success of the previous figures. Confused? Here's an example. The movie Serenity. Universal wanted the movie to make about $50 million at the box office in order to green light the sequel. Their reasoning... they want the movies to fund themselves. So not only was Serenity suppose to break a profit, it was also suppose to make the budget of the next film. So Serenity is considered a success since it did make it's money back (with the box office, cable and DVD sales)... but not enough to warrant a sequel. So... does Sideshow look for the profit of 12" Giles to fund the next Buffy figure? Or is every figure considered to be a separate enterprise... and as long as they pay for themselves, Sideshow will keep making them.

Finally, I think Sideshow is a company that is very loyal to their roots. It was the Universal Monsters, Buffy and Bond figures that put them on the collector's map. I believe that these licenses will never truly die... the rate of figure may increase or decrease on any given year, but I don't think that they will ever completely turn their backs on them. I think a 400 edition of the Roger Moore PF showcases Sideshows loyalty to the collectors who follow one of their signature licenses. There are Bond collectors who are looking to have all of the significnat Bonds to be rendered in this format. Just not 2,000 that bought Connery.

Newer licenses like POTA, Highlander, Twight Zone that sold slow to begin with have no such foot hold in the company.

It's a shame... cause I love dem APES! :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

ffl1940
08-25-2006, 03:22 PM
My thoughts, I think that MOST PFs don't have overly active poses. They tend to be iconic poses...

I agree, even so a non-action pose could have been more animated. I was unable to find a vidcap online but Buffy fans will know what I'm talking about when I mention the pose that Buffy had that ended the opening credits for several seasons where she's got a real bad-ass look. I think it might have come from the episode where she undergoes the tests from the watcher society i can't remember for sure, maybe from an episode where she fought several guys that attacked here while she was on a long table. That's what I remember anyway. In the pose she's holding an axe (not the scythe) after she fought off the baddies. It's a really cool look and I think it could have made a fantastic PF and it was the final shot in the credits so it would have had some recognition factor among fans.

FrankenFan
08-25-2006, 03:50 PM
In the pose she's holding an axe (not the scythe) after she fought off the baddies.

That's Buffy and the Hunga-Munga from "Anne."

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3441/annepv7.jpg

Firefly Flanatic
08-25-2006, 04:28 PM
And that pose would have made one helluva PF figure!!

BigLeagueChu
08-25-2006, 04:31 PM
I am glad SS decided to keep Buffy more a full body sculpt than a generic body covered up with clothing materials. Because it's such a simple pose, I think it could've sold better/faster with a more exciting exclusive. But the exclusive came up short of pazazz, and a "lump of polystone book" wasn't enough to shell out the cash for some collectors. For me, the likeness of SMG was what needed to be there for any success, and they nailed it. Although I'm still on the fence about keeping Spike, I'd buy another Buffy for sure.

Alice Adrenochrome
08-25-2006, 04:49 PM
I didn't order the PF Spike. In fact, I haven't ordered any SSC item from the Buffy universe. Haven't seen enough episodes to be a real fan. After seeing some episodes recently, I'm considering buying the complete series (it's the only way to be sure, right?).
If I were a fan, I'd order the PF Spike right away. He looks great, doesn't he? Can't understand what's keeping collectors from buying it. Especially with this mega cool exclusive interchangeable head! O.k., the base is a miss...
I also like the PF Buffy. The sad look in her eyes is fantastic, but I guess most die-hard Buffy fans are not really fond about that?
I'm not collecting the 12" Buffy line, and if I'm lucky, I'll never regret that! :D

Browncoat
08-25-2006, 05:36 PM
I'll almost certainly get him, but i'm waiting to order him from a local store. Considering how expensive it is to ship a 12" figure to oz, i think i'd die at the cost of a PF figure's postage.

ffl1940
08-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks Frankenfan!!!! I just love that look and maybe I didn't explain or describe what I meant by an "action" pose. it's not that it really has to be "swinging an axe" type of an action pose per se, but it implies action and so much of Buffy was about beatin down the baddies that a Buffy figure should at least imply action. See the pic above? That implies action, it's dramatic, she looks like a badass.

of course I don't know for sure, but had Sideshow posted the current Buffy PF as a prototype and vs. a proto of the one from the credits above and let us vote, I'm guessing the one from the credits wins. I know it's silly, it's just a collectible, but I really ache that they didn't start off the Buffy PF line with a Buffy like that. Imagine that Buffy back to back with Spike instead of the one we're getting with the sad look in a promo shoot dress! I think that Buffy would have sold more Spikes as well.

I still hope to see another Buffy PF (despite the naysayers), after all Sideshow has come out with some short run PFs

BillyBudd
08-25-2006, 07:22 PM
My thoughts, I think that MOST PFs don't have overly active poses. They tend to be iconic poses... which may not be that of action. The Star Wars PFs of Han, Luke, Leia, Dagobah Luke, and Boba come to mind.. as well as ALL of the Universal Monster ones. I also think that subtle poses display better... they draw attention but do not DEMAND too much attention. Again, just my two cents.

I agree with that. Action poses are really hit or miss. I've learned that from collecting Star Wars figures...Kotobukiya and Hasbro Unleashed specifically.

You brought up some other interesting points as well.

FrankenFan
08-26-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm fine with the pose, too. I think what ffl1940 is really after is a little Slayer 'tude.

Bottom line for me: If the hair and paint look good, I'll be a contented little fanboy. Like Vampire Buffy in 1:6, I never thought I would be treated to a version of the Slayer in 1:4, let alone one modeled after her look in season one. The big hair, the short skirts and boots, that's Buffy to me. I can't ask for more than that.

Unless it's a PF Vampire Buffy!

http://www.kurtgoldzung.com/MB/pb.jpg

buffy-collector
08-26-2006, 09:57 AM
The big hair, the short skirts and boots, that's Buffy to me

FrankenFan thats Buffy to me too.Season one buffy is the best:D
If only the pf had nice big hair.

prophecygirl
08-27-2006, 05:05 AM
I pre-ordered. Can't miss Spike!

Dayna
08-29-2006, 06:36 PM
24 faithful :monkey3

olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd
TheObsoleteMan
sueworld
TOE
binky
Viking28
ffl1940
BigLeaguChu (because he's still on pre-order right?)
prophecygirl
Browncoat - Welcome fellow Aussie & Firefly fan :D

I just received notification that Buffy PF is delayed again from Sep to Oct 10th. ARGHH!! I can't wait to see her, so close yet so far away!

Dayna
08-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I'll almost certainly get him, but i'm waiting to order him from a local store. Considering how expensive it is to ship a 12" figure to oz, i think i'd die at the cost of a PF figure's postage.
Do you mind me asking who the local store is? I've searched for SS products close to home before but have always found it cheaper in the end to order directly from the SS. :) Once they've converted the dollars and bumbed it up to cover tax costs etc. it tends to get a bit much for me...

Awww!! I'm still 'Just a little freaky' When's that gonna change??!!

waverly94
08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't collect the PF figures. I prefer the smaller, more posable 12 inchers. The PF figures look *****in' and if I was gonna buy any it would be Spike - but I would have no where to put him. I already collect Buffy figures in 3 scales (Palz, 6 inch and 12.) I really think that is enough.

JoeSweden
08-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Ad me to the list. I ordered the exclusive Spike and Buffy. they will be my first PFs. No wait, I just won a Leia on EBay! :chew The first ones ordered anyway and got me excited about the format. I realise now that it's possible to get them for much cheaper on ebay ($162.50 for the Leia) :D and I'm not that excited about the book, but you got to have gameface Spike! Just fix the coat. It should look like a secondhand coat, not tailored for him.

Dayna
08-31-2006, 06:28 PM
25 faithful :monkey3

olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd
TheObsoleteMan
sueworld
TOE
binky
Viking28
ffl1940
BigLeaguChu
prophecygirl
Browncoat
JoeSweden

Right on JoeS :banana
I can't wait to get a real coat made for him, will post pics on the site when I do too. How do you age leather? I heard to rub it on some stones or something?

Rook
11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Add one more to the list. I finally caved tonight. :D

Bannister
11-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Add me to the list. I've got one on order.

blazelsd
11-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Cancelled my Fett so that Wifey can have her blondie bear.

/sigh

darth dypshyt
11-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Spikes gay!

Them's fighting words Boy!:emperor :D

By the way...count me down for an exclusive..

Nitro
11-02-2006, 01:02 AM
I thought about picking up the Spike. It looks much better than the PF Buffy by far. As much as I like the PF Spike, my interest in anything Buffy is waning and has been since the series went into syndication....

So, picking up a PF Spike is doubtful, but I could always change my mind later on. I'm hoping for pics of the final product before I make a final decision.

thamesvalidude
11-02-2006, 01:56 AM
I originally ordered the PF Buffy exclusive, but cancelled because of the hair problem. I dithered pathetically for a while, ordered the non exclusive then saw the SDCC version and decided that I would stick to the 12" line and cancelled again. Without a Buffy there seemed little point in ordering a Spike.
In any case.....I HAVE NO ROOM!:monkey2

sueworld
11-02-2006, 02:08 AM
Spikes gay!

Oh I do hope so! :rolleyes: It would make all the interactions with his 'Grandsire' Angel all the more interesting in season 5 of AtS.

bluesparrow
11-02-2006, 03:39 AM
After being so pleased with Buffy, I'm seriously considering getting the Spike now... especially since the exclusive is still available...

BDboystoys
11-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Spike is one of the best characters on the shows, particularly season 2 Buffy(from which the PF's based) The PF itself is flawless, and the exclusive is a must have.
:D

BigLeagueChu
11-02-2006, 06:48 AM
I saw Spike PF EX at SDCC. It is fantastic and the exclusive is worth every penny :chew

Rook
11-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Spikes gay!

:lol :rotfl :lol

Nice one, Dannie.

sueworld
11-02-2006, 08:33 AM
He's beautiful alright, but I do hope they manage to fix the faults with the duster, and change the thickness of the strips on the shirt.

Then he'd be perfect!

Dayna
11-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Oh I do hope so! :rolleyes: It would make all the interactions with his 'Grandsire' Angel all the more interesting in season 5 of AtS.
"Like lollipops at the circus" :monkey5

Dayna
11-02-2006, 09:12 AM
29 Blondie Bears :lol

olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd
TheObsoleteMan
sueworld
TOE
binky
Viking28
ffl1940
BigLeaguChu
prophecygirl
Browncoat
JoeSweden
Monk
Bannister
blazelsd
DannieDarKo :naughty

hydrobud
11-02-2006, 09:20 AM
i never seen an episode.but i did see the original movie.

sueworld
11-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh the original movie was terrible. Luckly the series turned out nothing like that and went on to provide seven years of the most glorious entertainment.

Dayna
11-02-2006, 09:39 AM
I really want to see the movie. When it was released here it got such bad reviews that I didn't bother, but the curiosity is killing me now that I've seen what Joss is capable of.
Exactly what is so bad about the movie?

sueworld
11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh god where to start.

Basically it's crass 'bubble gum' type humour. It lacks the complexity of the series and the cast is very weak compaired with what the TV version came up with.

Even Joss is ashamed of it. It veered widly away from his original screenplay by miles.

One thing we have to grateful for it though is that without the film we wouldn't have had the series, as Joss wanted to produce something more akin to his original idea, and the movie definitely wasn't that.

BillyBudd
11-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Just buy the trade paperback called Origin. It's better than the movie.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffy-Vampire-Slayer-Christopher-Golden/dp/1569714290/sr=1-1/qid=1162493110/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1232724-3155309?ie=UTF8&s=books

Edit - spelling correction

Darth Waller
11-02-2006, 12:13 PM
The movie had a couple funny lines, but doesn't compare to the series at all.

bluesparrow
11-02-2006, 12:45 PM
29 Blondie Bears :lol

olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd
TheObsoleteMan
sueworld
TOE
binky
Viking28
ffl1940
BigLeaguChu
prophecygirl
Browncoat
JoeSweden
Monk
Bannister
blazelsd
DannieDarKo :naughty

*sigh*... add me. 30.

Raven
11-02-2006, 01:06 PM
The movie is NOTHING like the series.

That being said, I still liked parts. Pee Wee steals the show. :lol

I just noticed the edition size still hasn't been announced on exclusive Spike. Maybe it's larger than we think? Is there even a regular edition?

The way I view the PF's I agree with the other poster about definitive versions. Room being a major problem, I'd rather have one REALLY good single version of the character than multiple "ok" figures. The 12 inch figures are good, but there are some pretty meh figures in the mix. I might feel differently if I managed to buy the flagship characters before they jumped in price, but I missed that boat and not about to pay the same price for the 12 inch Spike that I can lay down for the PF. The only thing I'll really miss about those were the great early boxes before SS decided to change the style (my guess Faith and Willow started that decision). And since nobody seems to want to sell their boxes on ebay....I'll be sticking to the PF for my Buffy fix. Besides, can anyone really say with a straight face the PF's aren't THE best Buffy and Spike sculpts ever? :joy

BillyBudd
11-02-2006, 02:20 PM
The way I view the PF's I agree with the other poster about definitive versions. Room being a major problem, I'd rather have one REALLY good single version of the character than multiple "ok" figures.

That's my philosophy, too. If this Spike PF turns out as good or better than the prototype, I seriously doubt we will EVER see a better mass-produced statue of the character. On the other hand, though the Buffy PF is very nice, I think there is the potential for a better statue of the character at some point...I wouldn't count on it though.

Raven
11-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Doubt it will be any time soon they revisit Buffy. Star Wars is just now getting a new luke, and I think we can agree the first one was one of the weakest pfs.
I will get Buffy-meaning I'm in for Spike too-it's just a matter of where and when. The exclusive book doesn't make it a lock so my options are open. *looks around*

The jacket on spike doesn't bother me so much as that darned lean. Sideshow has a thing for leaning statues. I hope they get that under control.

Dayna
11-02-2006, 07:04 PM
The big 30 would be great but it could still be 29 "boo-boo's" depending on DannieDarKo.
So Dannie, I assumed your calling Spike gay means you ordered one too? :D

olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd
TheObsoleteMan
sueworld
TOE
binky
Viking28
ffl1940
BigLeaguChu
prophecygirl
Browncoat
JoeSweden
Monk
Bannister
blazelsd
DannieDarKo (tbc)
bluesparrow - Don't worry, your *sigh* will turn into shrieks of delight once the Bad Dog catches your sight:blissy

Fritz
11-02-2006, 07:07 PM
It would be nice if Sideshow included some sort of base or pouch or something to keep the alternate head in without having to leave it in the box or just sitting on a shelf unprotected.

Dayna
11-02-2006, 07:19 PM
When I get my cabinets I hope to create a simple base for the head like the LOTR helm bases, to display near the figure.
In the works is a mini stand for Buffy's book too. I found myself changing the heads on Iron Man every 2 days or so, so I figure it would make more sense for me to keep the heads handy.
And what appears to be a severed head alongside a vamp/monster figure is just fine by me :)

JoeSweden
11-02-2006, 07:42 PM
SPIKE DELAYED!!

Dear Valued Collector,

Thank you for your pre-order of our Spike Premium Format Figure Sideshow Exclusive (item #71681FLEX) from our Buffy the Vampire Slayer Premium Format Figures Collection. This email notification is to keep you updated with the most current information about your order with us.

In order to ensure that you receive the highest quality Sideshow Collectible possible, we have increased quality control procedures for this highly detailed piece to assure your complete satisfaction. As such, there has been a slight delay in the arrival date of this item, which is now expected to arrive into our warehouse in April 2007. Due to this delay, we have adjusted your Flexpay Schedule to coincide with the arrival date of this product.

Please note that the new payment schedule for your order will be as follows:

Spike Premium Format Figure Sideshow Exclusive

Feb 10th 2007 - $83.00
Mar 10th 2007 - $83.00
Apr 10th 2007 - $83.99

Dayna
11-02-2006, 08:49 PM
EXCELLENT NEWS! That means there will be more time for them to fix his jacket & shirt!?? Oh I hope so!

BDboystoys
11-02-2006, 10:29 PM
EXCELLENT NEWS! That means there will be more time for them to fix his jacket & shirt!?? Oh I hope so!

Whats wrong with the shirt? I know some see the jacket being an inch too short as a prob but the shirt?
Thats good news for me, gives me more time to save and spend in the mean time:D

Raven
11-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Wow that's actually really great news! Now maybe I'll be able to catch up! And I know the shirt's not exactly right, but I think the pin stripes add more to the figure. I hope those stay. Oh, and fix the lean to make it perfect. :lol

sueworld
11-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Whats wrong with the shirt? I know some see the jacket being an inch too short as a prob but the shirt?
Thats good news for me, gives me more time to save and spend in the mean time:D

Spot the difference....

As you can see when it comes to the shirt the stripes are too bold and too dark. They need to be fainter and less wide.

As you can also see the duster is far too 'snug' on him. The sleeves are way too short and narrow, and the length of the coat too short as well.

People seem to forget the coat was very loose and baggy on him. It certainly wasn't a close cut tailered type of affair.

BDboystoys
11-03-2006, 02:02 AM
I knew the Jacket differences, personally they dont affect my opinion on the statue overall.
I get what your saying about the shirt, I thought they were striped in the show so I automatically thought it looked fine. Still looks fantastic, I can deal with those slight differences, but I understand some would want it more accurate:D

pordey2
11-03-2006, 03:59 AM
After I've fallen into the lines of PF... I may just buy this since it's been delayed to apr 2007

:chew

Dayna
11-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Spot the difference....

As you can see when it comes to the shirt the stripes are too bold and too dark. They need to be fainter and less wide.

As you can also see the duster is far too 'snug' on him. The sleeves are way too short and narrow, and the length of the coat too short as well.

People seem to forget the coat was very loose and baggy on him. It certainly wasn't a close cut tailered type of affair.

After seeing this again I now NEED to have the coat fixed. If SS don't do something I will get one made up. It looks a lot worse than I remembered it! And I wish the lean wasn't brought to my attention, that's beginning to bother me now too. Grrr :rolleyes:

Raven
11-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I think the shirt looks fine, but if anything maybe make the lines a little fainter. Yes, it's not accurate but it does look good with the contrast. I don't see a big deal with the coat either. Rather have him look good than messy. The sleeves look like they're folded up anyway.

It's that darned lean! :lol Sorry :o

BillyBudd
11-03-2006, 11:37 AM
The clothing could use a little work, but it's not that big of a deal to me. If Sideshow does increase the size of the jacket, I hope they don't make it too big.

sueworld
11-03-2006, 12:40 PM
I think the shirt looks fine, but if anything maybe make the lines a little fainter. Yes, it's not accurate but it does look good with the contrast. I don't see a big deal with the coat either. Rather have him look good than messy. The sleeves look like they're folded up anyway.

It's that darned lean! :lol Sorry :o

Sorry, but for the price that they are charging for this I expect the characters clothing to be as acurate as possible. If it was the 12 inch dolls I wouldn't be so bothered, but these are 'premium' figures with limited runs and so I expect a little more attention to detail.

I know I sound overly fussy, but that's just my take on it.

BigLeagueChu
11-03-2006, 12:42 PM
The jacket and shirt are fine with me. It's the lean that gets me. And the face is perfect but I still can't get over the mixed media of PF on this one. Other than the face, nothing else seems like a sculpt with all that cloth.

ffl1940
11-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Other than the face, nothing else seems like a sculpt with all that cloth.

the boots and hands are likely sculpted.

One thing I hope they improve with spike is the mouth. The teeth don't look very good. Yeah, I know, he's English, he's supposed to have bad teeth :lol but they just don't look like they're sculpted/painted very realistically

Dayna
11-03-2006, 03:08 PM
the boots and hands are likely sculpted.

One thing I hope they improve with spike is the mouth. The teeth don't look very good. Yeah, I know, he's English, he's supposed to have bad teeth :lol but they just don't look like they're sculpted/painted very realistically

I know what you mean about the teeth but it looks like he's pushing his tongue against them. I would prefer to see more fang myself.

Aerosmith
11-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I like the vamp heads expression. Im tired of all the sculpts of Vamp Spike where he's either snarling or yelling. The sculpt of the PF reminds me of the episode "Halloween" where he's walking down the street & stops to look at all the chaos going around him, & says "Well, this is just... neat."

BDboystoys
11-03-2006, 06:15 PM
I like the vamp heads expression. Im tired of all the sculpts of Vamp Spike where he's either snarling or yelling. The sculpt of the PF reminds me of the episode "Halloween" where he's walking down the street & stops to look at all the chaos going around him, & says "Well, this is just... neat."

Yeah I agree, I love the Vamp sculpt, I couldnt live without it.:D

hopewell
11-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I haven't pre-ordered it simply because of space. I can't fit everything I own already. I think if the PF after Buffy had been Angel, he'd have sold out by now and then Spike would have done better after that. I think that even though Spike is a popular character, having only Buffy and Spike would not feel complete. Whereas if SS only made Buffy and Angel, it would be more appropriate. Ideally we'd want at least Buffy, Angel, Spike, and either Willow or Faith. But I think Spike made for a slightly odd second pick.

Dayna
11-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Welcome Hopewell :wave
I agree, we need Angel and a PF Dark Willow! (Faith would be my second pick)
The sooner Spike sells out the sooner SS will release another PF Buffyverse figure, that's the impression I got from SS anyway.
I also have no room for Spike or most of the PF's I've ordered, however my house bends to the collectibles, I buy them then worry about where to put them later! It has literally gotten to the point where we need to add another room to display them all :lol A girl's gotta have her priorities ya know?!

Darklord Dave
11-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Spike's my 2nd favorite character after Willow, so I'm glad they made him 2nd. If they make him I'll buy him, but Angel's far from my favorite character from either show.

Dayna
11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
I can add you to the list of Spike buyers then Darklord?
That will officially make it 30 :)

mastervader
11-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Spike is probably my favorite character from the show-he comes with an extra head sculpt, I don't know why but I haven't ordered him yet. Oh yeah, lack of funds and space. But, I am going to seriously think about this.

buffy-collector
11-05-2006, 10:16 AM
I never bought Spike because I just want Buffy and Angel to sum up the shows,if I got him i'd have to get every pf.

But Spike does look nice,but I dont like the character either.

Raven
11-05-2006, 02:19 PM
So I'm confused. Is there no regular edition Spike PF? The exclusive is the only one?

Dayna
11-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Spike is probably my favorite character from the show-he comes with an extra head sculpt, I don't know why but I haven't ordered him yet. Oh yeah, lack of funds and space. But, I am going to seriously think about this.

Oh mastervader you have GOT to share where that avatar came from :lol Is that you?

I never bought Spike because I just want Buffy and Angel to sum up the shows,if I got him i'd have to get every pf.

But Spike does look nice,but I dont like the character either.

I have that problem with SW PF's & 12 inches already and hope that it doesn't come to that with the Buffy/Angel licence. I vow to only stick with staple characters, but there's always danger of caving if they throw a curb ball and release a really cool Anya / Illyria or any kind of Demon just to add variety to the collection! Like I can't resist the Asaaj 12inch, and she's not even in any of the movies!! Discipline, I need discipline!

So I'm confused. Is there no regular edition Spike PF? The exclusive is the only one?

I thought the regular would become available after the Exclusive sells through. Not that we'll ever find out at the rate the Excl. is selling! I wish SS would put a quantity bar on his page, or better yet an edition size!

mastervader
11-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Oh mastervader you have GOT to share where that avatar came from :lol Is that you?
No,its not me.....or is it?:monkey3 Oh and Dayna, count me in. I'm preordering him tonight. I can't wait for it; and thanks for starting this thread, I don't think I would've gotten ol William the Bloody without it.:D

Dayna
11-07-2006, 06:04 PM
No,its not me.....or is it?:monkey3 Oh and Dayna, count me in. I'm preordering him tonight. I can't wait for it; and thanks for starting this thread, I don't think I would've gotten ol William the Bloody without it.:D

Here you go master, now it's officially * 30 *
And you are very welcome! Since my intention for beginning this thread was completely selfish (Spike sells out, more Buffy PF's) I am very chuffed at getting a thank you for it...
Glad to be of assistance! :D
I have removed DDarko, looks like the whole gay thing wasn't a compliment after all :rolleyes:

olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd
TheObsoleteMan
sueworld
TOE
binky
Viking28
ffl1940
BigLeaguChu
prophecygirl
Browncoat
JoeSweden
Monk
Bannister
blazelsd
bluesparrow
mastervader

olvidadero
11-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Customs made me pay $75 for delivering my PF Buffy. I usually don't get charged (I gess I'd been really lucky so far) but that made me think over cancelling my Spike pre-order or sticking with it. I'm giving myself until January to decide whether I keep it or not... Damn, why do they have to make being a collector so hard for us :monkey2 :monkey2

Dayna
11-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Man that sucks! Hearing that I'm glad to be in Oz. The minimum amount that attracts a customs fee has raised to $1000 AUD. But prior to that we were paying at least another $100 each for high end SS collectibles. As if we don't pay enough taxes already?! Greedy sods! :mad:
So what do you think olvidadero, will you be able to scrounge up an additional $75 or so for when Spike is due?

naria
11-17-2006, 09:41 PM
I will most likely give in and preorder PF Spike soon. Now that he's been delayed to 2nd quarter, that frees up some funds I need for other things.

Dayna
11-17-2006, 09:45 PM
I will most likely give in and preorder PF Spike soon. Now that he's been delayed to 2nd quarter, that frees up some funds I need for other things.
Just say the word :)

olvidadero
11-18-2006, 06:43 AM
So what do you think olvidadero, will you be able to scrounge up an additional $75 or so for when Spike is due?

I still need to figure out how am I gonna get the $80 for the first Flexpay instalment. Those $75 are the last ones to pay, once the Spike is delivered, so I'll start worrying about them after Christmas. I'll let you know if I cancel my Spike, but I'll do whatever I can to save the money and hopefully I won't have to do it :)

naria
11-18-2006, 04:20 PM
I finally gave in and preordered the PF Spike (that was fast).

Dayna
11-18-2006, 06:02 PM
I finally gave in and preordered the PF Spike (that was fast).
Too fast? Ah forget 'bout it, no-one likes a chronic procrastinator anyway :D

* 31 *

olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd
TheObsoleteMan
sueworld
TOE
binky
Viking28
ffl1940
BigLeaguChu
prophecygirl
Browncoat
JoeSweden
Monk
Bannister
blazelsd
bluesparrow
mastervader
naria

buffy-collector
11-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Having got Buffy Im now wanting Spike ,I dont even like Spike!
I think after xmas I will order the reg and get it for my bday in March.

They just look soo good,now give me an Angel and Illyria and while your at it a Adam and the beast:D

Dayna
11-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Having got Buffy Im now wanting Spike ,I dont even like Spike!
I think after xmas I will order the reg and get it for my bday in March.

They just look soo good,now give me an Angel and Illyria and while your at it a Adam and the beast:D

A PF Illyria would be AWESOME! And DW Willow of course!
I am still waiting for my Buffy figure, the last email I received only had a link to the updated gallery but still no info about when she will ship to Australia :confused:
Anyone know anything different? Was she a two part shipment to the SS warehouse or something?
I have asked SS but still waiting on a reply - they must be flat out with Xmas round the corner I spose...

Darth Kustomizer
11-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey there fellow Buffy fans,

I have just read the most terrifying post ever:

For reasons completely beyond my understanding the PF Spike is still available for purchase and even worse, has not once graced the Most Popular Products list, (as previously pointed out by olvidadero)

The mere suggestion of no more Buffy PFs has elevated my confusion to Great Concern! Please help me understand. Is the coat reallly that bigger deal? Surely one can have a longer coat made?
Everything else is absolutely perfect IMO, well... maybe not the base lettering but BIG DEAL!
You could always place Mr Pointy in front of it or something?

Including myself I know that at least 2 Spikes have been pre-ordered for keeps.

Honestly I have no real interest in the PF line of figures. Between all the 12" lines that Sideshow and other companies have me dedicated to there is just no way I am getting into yet another expensive line of figures. Also, they just take up to much room in my opinion.