PDA

View Full Version : What Sideshow has done to Marvel

Viking28
08-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Is just incredible what Sideshow has done with the Marvel license, they have raised the bar to all new heights with their Marvel releases. I think its just amazing that they get some of the most talented people in the sculpting biz and get them to sculpt some amazing pieces.

They've really changed the market place for comic sculptures and brought it to a new level of creativity.

Hats off to Sideshow and the amazing artists that are creating these pieces!

carbo-fation
08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Sideshow does amazing Marvel pieces! Thanks Sideshow! Keep up the good work! :D :chew :chew :chew

SolidLiquidFox
08-22-2006, 03:19 PM
I think it has to do with just that: creativity. They are letting the Gore Group, Andy, Pablo or whoever run with it and put out a quality product with the sculptor's vision. They'll back them up and put it out there for our benefit. Not many companies would take chances with some unorthodox pieces like the Doom Archieve set. They would just play it safe and give us the usual characters with generic poses we have seen before.

Sideshow really seems to appreciate (as fans themselves) the chance to offer these characters in a way we may not have seen before. :cool:

pitchin
08-22-2006, 03:34 PM
I also tink some companies like Bowen etc have a price frame which there collectors like but limits BD from being adventurous.
People that collect sideshow know they are getting quality and are prepared to pay a little bit more

Shai
08-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Marvel Sideshow > Marvel Bowen.

Bodie The Cursed
08-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Sideshow makes Bowen look like junk.

kierbaudy
08-22-2006, 06:48 PM
I agree that sideshow really tries to make statues creative, with dynamic or unusual poses. A sitting Dr. Doom that rocked and iron man in shiny armour in a stopped posture and all those dynamic poses with the vs. line. The quality of the paintjob and the materials really make sideshow first class. Bowen has a few nice pieces like moon knight, silver surfer, and hawkeye but the paint application and poses don't compare to sideshow and the pieces doesn't have polystone heft, it looks and feels like resin. I think sideshow will grab more marvel fans as time passes, but the market is rather oversaturated right now.

Gruson
08-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Yup,

Both the VS. line and the comiquettes are MUCH better than Bowen pieces.

Awesome works guys.

Agent0028
08-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm just happy I'm not a huge Marvel fan or else I probably would go broke with how awesome these are. If I were a Fantastic Four fan that PF Doom would be a must and thank goodness I'm not a hulk fan because that PF really rocks!

Viking28
08-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Yea its going to look fricking awesome having Wolverine and the Hulk facing off!

Khev
08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
I've always been a big fan of this Bowen Captain America statue but would love to see Sideshow top it:

http://www.azogscollection.com/priceguides/bowen_statues/mini/cap_big.jpg

Agent0028
08-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Yea its going to look fricking awesome having Wolverine and the Hulk facing off!
Grr, it's ideas like that that make me want to get it regardless of being a fan or not...

I liked the Hard Hero Captain America, but ultimately decided that for the price I would rather wait for a PF.

carbo-fation
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Man that would be awesome! Wolvie facing Hulk and Spidy facing Goblin! :chew :chew

Bodie The Cursed
08-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Wolvie V. Magneto.. :monkey5

SolidLiquidFox
08-22-2006, 08:39 PM

Why dream with a comiquette and a PF? bring on the Vs diorama and live the magic everyday! :cool:

A John Cassaday Captain America PF would be awesome.

Khev
08-22-2006, 09:01 PM
A John Cassaday Captain America PF would be awesome.
Note to self:

If you are prompted to do a Google search for a John Cassaday Captain America never, EVER, click on a link that also has "Liefeld" in the title. :yuck

SolidLiquidFox
08-22-2006, 09:16 PM
You mean you didn't like Heroes Reborn? :lol

They should have gotten Lee and Larsen. Not Lee and Liefeld. Silly Marvel... :rolleyes:

rogueboy
08-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Note to self:

If you are prompted to do a Google search for a John Cassaday Captain America never, EVER, click on a link that also has "Liefeld" in the title. :yuck
Please don't let me re-live the nightmare that's called Liefeld....in any comics.

BDboystoys
08-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Yeh well Im no Marvel fan(except for afew series..i.e Runaways) and I think theyre unreal. I wanted to buy Hulk and I dont even like Hulk that much! It just looked too cool to pass up, and thats something coming from a DC junkie.
Sideshow brings astounding life into every single piece they do for the Marvel line.
When it comes down to it, this is how it runs in my head:

NOT FAIR! Why cant I have a GOOD DC line!:monkey2
Still waiting for that dream Batman PF, Statue or Diorama someday..dont be mean DC and let Marvel have all the fun! Give Sideshow the honour!

NSFolsom
08-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Please don't let me re-live the nightmare that's called Liefeld....in any comics.
Haha... Liefeld... He could draw backgrounds "real good!" :rotfl

I used to have an "instructional" video with Liefeld and the wonderful Stan Lee. Liefeld was showing how he draws characters, in particular, Cable... Ugh... and I like Cable.

And, thank you, Sideshow! I love all the MARVEL stuff. I may be premature now, but I would love a Captain America Premium Format Figure!

NSFolsom
08-23-2006, 01:17 AM
http://www.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_4309/subcat_8214/cassady473%5B1%5D.jpg

gambit
08-23-2006, 01:26 AM
I have a few bowen statues like, Gambit (of course :D ) nightcrawler, namor black trunks and some busts. I love what Bowen is doiung with the characters. He is truly sculpting the soul of the character. However, the quality of the resin material is nowhere near Sideshow's. After having my first Sideshow statue, bowen pieces seem to lost its value in my eye unfortunately. They are still great sculpts and I do not think that any company can make a gambit statue like Bowen ( Sideshow I dare you :maul ) , however, the material quality and the pose of SS pieces are unbeatable.

Sideshow rocks :bow

dunedain
08-23-2006, 03:18 AM
I Really love the quality of the marvel vs line, but I'm just not a big enough fan to actualy buy them:o

pitchin
08-23-2006, 03:54 AM
I have a few bowen statues like, Gambit (of course :D ) nightcrawler, namor black trunks and some busts. I love what Bowen is doiung with the characters. He is truly sculpting the soul of the character. However, the quality of the resin material is nowhere near Sideshow's. After having my first Sideshow statue, bowen pieces seem to lost its value in my eye unfortunately. They are still great sculpts and I do not think that any company can make a gambit statue like Bowen ( Sideshow I dare you :maul ) , however, the material quality and the pose of SS pieces are unbeatable.

Sideshow rocks :bow

how about a gambit comiquette or Vs piece with a light up feature in the cards in his hands?

gambit
08-23-2006, 04:06 AM
how about a gambit comiquette or Vs piece with a light up feature in the cards in his hands?

and also may be a some low radiant red LED's in his pupils ?

I would buy at least two, and I really don't understand why we are getting 3 wolverine related statues when there is such a character like Gambit :monkey3

JABBATHERIDGE
08-23-2006, 04:50 AM
Hello I'm new to the SSF boards and this is my first post.

I became a Sideshow collector quite recently and the two main licenses I will be collecting are Star Wars and Marvel.

The Marvel PF's Sideshow are creating are pretty amazing, I've preordered the Spider-Man PF and would love to see a symbiote Spider-Man PF or some of the villains.

I love what Sideshow has done for the Marvel Licence but would really like to see them get the 1/6 scale figure licence as well.

Has anybody heard if this will happen, have any collectors voiced their desire to see if through Sideshow?

SolidLiquidFox
08-23-2006, 04:56 AM
and also may be a some low radiant red LED's in his pupils ?

I would buy at least two, and I really don't understand why we are getting 3 wolverine related statues when there is such a character like Gambit :monkey3

Popularity. Its that simple.

People were asking for a Hulk PF shortly after the Vs piece came out. I think the Hulk Vs sculpt didn't even get time to get appreciated properly by some as all you would hear was "how massive" it was and then we got Hulk PF with it's 179 gray units and people have put the Vs diorama Hulk aside.

At least that's the impression I get from these message boards discussions.

I agree spreading out the catalog of characters is a good idea. People are begging for PF Cap, Thor and Juggernaut (yet, another massive sculpt). It's like is all they know as far as Marvel characters go. I rarely hear any request from comics fans for less known characters besides your standard X-Men. I guess Bowen fills that void for them.

After a Cap PF, a Silver Surfer comiquette and DD Vs Bullseye, I hope Sideshow digs into the deep catalog Marvel has to offer. Taskmaster on a Vs piece. Black Panther on a PF. Kang on a comiquette. The possibilities are endless. As long as they stay away from Ultimate Universe characters the sky is the limit.

SolidLiquidFox
08-23-2006, 05:02 AM
I love what Sideshow has done for the Marvel Licence but would really like to see them get the 1/6 scale figure licence as well.

Has anybody heard if this will happen, have any collectors voiced their desire to see if through Sideshow?

Welcome aboard. I think soon you'll find yourself pretty busy with all the stuff SS is offering as far as Marvel products that your budget may not be able to support the 12" you are asking for. :D

Siriously, there is no word on a Marvel 12" license. I don't see it happening anytime soon as they are filling that void by offering the Medicom figures instead. As far as 12" goes, they got their hands full with Star Wars (their main money maker by the way they are pushing them out) and seldom releases with the Bond, Lord of the Rings and Buffy 12" lines.

Khev
08-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Popularity. Its that simple.

People were asking for a Hulk PF shortly after the Vs piece came out. I think the Hulk Vs sculpt didn't even get time to get appreciated properly by some as all you would hear was "how massive" it was and then we got Hulk PF with it's 179 gray units and people have put the Vs diorama Hulk aside.

At least that's the impression I get from these message boards discussions.
I toke note of SS's Marvel license too late to anticipate the Hulk Vs. dio but I much prefer the PF due to the scale, Kirby-styled sculpt, and the fact that he allows for more diversity in display (you can have him face off against 1/4 Wolverine or any other upcoming character instead of just Spidey.)

The main thing the Vs. dio has going for it seems to be the ES, but I suppose if the McFarlane era Hulk is your fav then it would certainly be more appealing than the PF.

I agree spreading out the catalog of characters is a good idea. People are begging for PF Cap, Thor and Juggernaut (yet, another massive sculpt). It's like is all they know as far as Marvel characters go. I rarely hear any request from comics fans for less known characters besides your standard X-Men. I guess Bowen fills that void for them.
To tell you the truth I'm glad to see the love for Cap. For a long time Spidey and the X-folks have been the darlings of the Marvel lineup.

After a Cap PF, a Silver Surfer comiquette and DD Vs Bullseye, I hope Sideshow digs into the deep catalog Marvel has to offer. Taskmaster on a Vs piece. Black Panther on a PF. Kang on a comiquette. The possibilities are endless.
They really are! Though it doesn't seem there is much love for the 80's versions of characters, which was when I was most involved with comics. Since I've been out of the loop so long are the 80's runs considered subpar by most collectors today or am I the only who reminisces about John Byrne's Fantastic Four, the original Secret Wars, red and silver Iron Man, brown Wolverine, and "Captain America NO MORE." King Conan was another fave but I can't see him falling under their current license agreement.

As long as they stay away from Ultimate Universe characters the sky is the limit.
Word. They do seem to have a lot of talent writing the Ultimates series but I can't stand the new grim and gritty Captain America or Doogie Howser Reed Richards.

SolidLiquidFox
08-23-2006, 06:57 AM
I jumped into comics in the early 90's when a was in my early teens. It is the one hobby I have kept up with after all this years. I am a statue collector by association. I can understand a lot of folks asking for the same well known characters since they don't read the comics.

I hope Marvel thinks outside the box a bit more when Sideshow brings a few unusual characters they want to do. I know a lot of what we see has to do 90% of the time with the exposure a character is getting in films. Even if it's the comics version of said character.

gambit
08-23-2006, 02:42 PM
King Conan was another fave but I can't see him falling under their current license agreement.

Wow, I know it is under Dark horse licence but, I would kill for a King Conan 1/4 PF statue. It would be a dream come true and I have so manby friends that will buy this one. Even I would buy 2, one for display one for stock.

Bodie The Cursed
08-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Wow, I know it is under Dark horse licence but, I would kill for a King Conan 1/4 PF statue. It would be a dream come true and I have so manby friends that will buy this one. Even I would buy 2, one for display one for stock.

Yes my friend.. I agree, but it would have to be done right.. A Joe Buscema or Ernie Chan version?..

Have you seen the Frazetta's Barbarian Statue based on Conan?.. Best and only as far as I'm concerned Conan sculpture out there...

The ill Jedi
08-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Marvel Sideshow > Marvel Bowen.

Damn right! Make mine Marvel Sideshow!!

gambit
08-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Yes my friend.. I agree, but it would have to be done right.. A Joe Buscema or Ernie Chan version?..

Have you seen the Frazetta's Barbarian Statue based on Conan?.. Best and only as far as I'm concerned Conan sculpture out there...

Actually Buscema or Ernie Chan or a Mike Docherty based (may be would be better) King Conan would be cool. Difficult to choose between these 3 artists but regardless I would buy.

The king conan with the throne from McFarlane shows us how cool he could be in Premium format. I will definitely kill for a premium Format like that.

with regards to Frazetta, he sure did an excellent statue but it is the Barbarian version and I want the King Conan. I am still looking for a nice price to pick frazetta from ebay but due to so many coming statues and my loss of trust to ebay, I still can not manage to grab it. One day I will even buy that death dealer full size.