Custom Shelf Finished

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutant-man

Super Freak
Reaction score
At the end of June, I contracted a cabinet company to make a custom shelf for me. Measurements 80" tall x 60" wide x 20" deep. 3 adjustable shelves, two of glass and the bottom one of wood. All glass doors as well as glass sides. They built the frame quickly but we had a hell of a time with the glass. The shelves are laminated glass, so in theory they won't shatter and they won't take out everything below even if they do break. Unfortunately, the first time they sent the shelves over the edges weren't finished, and I received a nice cut on my hand. The doors were a nightmare--first they got the wrong hinges, then they cut the holes for the hinges incorrectly and had to order more glass, but it still wasn't right. Went with another glass company, and they cut the doors the wrong size. TWICE! Anyway, last weekend we finally finished it up. Here are some pics, though I used my iPhone so the quality is not fantastic. Oh, and I still need one more set of Dioder lights for the lower left side. You can barely see poor Thing PF EX!

View attachment 51354View attachment 51355View attachment 51356View attachment 51357

Last edited:
Cool custom shelves mate. Collection looks great. Welcome to the show.
23lo1vr.gif

Thanks for all of the positive comments. I posted the thread using Tapatalk, which seems to have added some extra attachments. Weird. I'll also have to work on getting some better photos up--these look terrible!

Great! Can it support the weight? Make sure it has the support

Well, I'm hoping it can. I checked the specs of what kind of weight glass can support, and for the length of my shelves, it's supposed to be around 12 pounds per square foot. I have, at most, 8 pounds per square foot on the shelves. So in theory, I should be fine. However, one of the shelves is bowing slightly. Not sure if that's cause for alarm, but I'll admit that I am nervous.

For others considering this sort of thing, please check with several builders before you do anything. The guys I chose seemed great but in hindsight seem pretty clueless. They insisted that 1/4" glass will support the weight, and going into it I had no reason to doubt them, but given all the mistakes they made I do doubt them. I'd have chosen 3/8" thickness instead, which would pretty much double the glass' load limit. Again, I know this now, but didn't know it three months ago.

Sounds like a nightmare but at least you have your sick custom cabinet now to enjoy.

Many times custom is better than stuff from stores, know from my own experience! Great cabinet there, congrats!

Back