Ikea Billy (deep version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeha

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello, i am wondering does anyone have a chance to try out the "deeper" version of the Ikea Billy (39cm depth)? Most pictures i've seen on the net are usually the normal bookcase version. This deeper version is around the same depth as the Besta (40cm depth) but the pricing is actually a bit cheaper.

Billy
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10208472/#/10208467

Besta
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70134044/
(One best thing about Besta is that it has the Inreda addon https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50196542/ which makes the display case looks even more awsome)

I am on the fence of grabbing the Billy with Morebo glass doors. Pictures / input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
thats not bad at all.... the glass shelf alone usually run $10 and this kit includes mirror back and mirror bottom and 2 mirror shelves (though one is half depth) (this needs to be posted in the besta thread!
This warrants a field trip to Ikea this weekend!
Now if you only care to make all your backs into mirror might be cheaper to just looking for a glass shop to custom cut you a few long pieces of mirror. just as long as you find someone to give you contractor prices and stay away from tempered glass it might not be so $$

Last edited:
I've got three of the deep Billys, and they work just fine. I believe the Besta gives you a little more flexibility: The Besta has shelf-peg holes the entire length of the unit and doesn't have a permanent shelf in the middle; the Billy does have a permanent shelf and has 6"-wide spaces where you can't put a shelf. I don't actually have a Besta, so I'm not sure what else is different.

There are a couple of pictures of my Billys in this thread (I hope to have pics of my actual collection soon), and there is a picture of what I think is a Besta on the second page.

Thanks for the reply and pictures!

OT: A question for Geil, how are those remote LED pucks holding up for you? I see that you had them for a while now. I've read a mixed response for them. I am interested in getting some lighting to go with the display shelf. Should i go with wired or wireless?

I gave up as I am just too lazy to keep swapping out and changing batteries every day or so ::rotfl :monkey2 :slap
I will be ordering some reels of LEDs through eBay if I can't find anything locally close to the $30 per 150 LEDs on 5M shipped! Still playing with the idea of getting the RGB ones but that will double the price and make it more difficult to wire ... no time time explore it much yet..... but yeah some discussion already going on in the dioder thread

yes 5050 is the only way to go.. just a matter of white or RGB OR BOTH :panic::monkey3

Not sure if these are the same Billys but...

a08a6692.jpg

And Bestas ...

95d7b719.jpg

Nice collection you have,
My little brother also have dying heart love with these type of collection.
I will post pictures in my next links.

Ok Yeha thanks to you I just spend another $100 on Inredas and it may just double if it looks too good :D

Whaaaa .... Full length glass doors?? Where do I find THOSE ...lol

You will find them in the door section in Ikea normally next to the Bestas or the Billy bookcases. They come with a cardboard insert in them that you have to remove.

You will find them in the door section in Ikea normally next to the Bestas or the Billy bookcases. They come with a cardboard insert in them that you have to remove.

Where is the cardboard insert. Honestly, I am asking because a Billy is about 3/4 the size of a double Besta with the height add on, and almost $200 cheaper. So you could buy two for almost he same price as a double Besta.

Back