How to light a single acylic case?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultron-7

Super Freak
Reaction score
Got a 8x8x15 case in and want to light it to display a hot toys figure at its best, any recommendations?

is there anything good out there that works well inside the actual box? I've seen people just put strips or something similar just resting on top. I know Ikea has a motion sensor LED, but I don't know how difficult it would be to turn on or off through the box without taking the top off.

i decided to put two dioder strips in it one on each side, just need to notch out a gap on each side at the bottom of the acrylic for the wires, anyone know how to notch acrylic without damaging or cracking it?

Just need to get a image for the back now to stop the reflection of the led's.

A base that lights up looks great. Like what station (a member on here) makes:

picture.php

His thread:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80710:goodpost

I actually don't like this edgelit solution. In my tests the lights also highlight any scratches, dust and fingerprints on the case itself and ends up distracting the job of the displays ... being transparent and revealing the beauty of whats inside. Maybe if the front panel is not lit that be more acceptable but then you might as well place the LEDs inside the case instead.
Now however have tried setting up an edgelit back using a frosted panel and since it is not suppose to be transparent it looked very classy and something I intend to to deploy in one of my settings, possibly for Tron

is there anything good out there that works well inside the actual box? I've seen people just put strips or something similar just resting on top. I know Ikea has a motion sensor LED, but I don't know how difficult it would be to turn on or off through the box without taking the top off.

i decided to put two dioder strips in it one on each side, just need to notch out a gap on each side at the bottom of the acrylic for the wires, anyone know how to notch acrylic without damaging or cracking it?

Just need to get a image for the back now to stop the reflection of the led's.

Actually I know Ikea Dioders have dropped in price but still nowhere nearly cheap enough to not consider the DIY approach....
It's in one of the threads in this section

Doh' :slap it was in my own thread
So I bought a 5m LED strip off ebay for the table

White-LED-Flexible-Strip-Lights-505.jpg

also bought these switches
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/270877815272?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and these connector pieces for the corners of the table

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/251026779540?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I plan to lower the bottom rack this weekend.

I am still digging around ebay as I want to pick up a few of these and remote control all of them. still deciding to go RGB or pure white but certainly cutting these and wire yourself will be most economical
Oh and you can cut these every 1-2" or so w minimal of 3LEDs ;)

Last edited:
Back