5 Great Newish Comics (or is it only 2!?)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since a lot of you guys in the, "What is the Best Comic You Are Reading" thread said that Chew, Morning Glories, Y-The Last Man, Saga, and Invincible are amazing comics I've decided to try them all.

I'm up to the hard-cover book three of Y-The Last Man. It's very good. The constant jokes aren't the funniest. I do find Yorick funny though. It's still a good read.

Read the first hardcover of Invincible. Very very good. Great story and art. Y-The Last Man has very good art too.

I own Saga 1-5 and now it's on my pull list. Haven't started though because my Saga 1 is a first printing and I just can't bring myself to read it, I have to pick up a second or third printing somewhere.

I bought every Morning Glories first printings off ebay for $155. When they come, I'll read em'. It's on my pull list.

As for Chew. lol. I'm probably going to end up spending around $250 to get em' all. It's now on my pull list.

Chew and Morning Glories and Saga better be good you bastards! lol :D

btw - Walking Dead is still the best.

Run out to your local comic shop and buy Hawkeye #1 now! Everyone on staff here loves it.

Over the next few months, you'll be able to pick up the first volumes of several Image series for just $9.99 each, including Manhattan Projects, Mind the Gap, and Saga (might be worth it so you don't have to touch your first printing).

I also have to suggest American Vampire by Scott Snyder. One of the most consistently excellent books on the stands.

It's a great time to be a comic reader!

Run out to your local comic shop and buy Hawkeye #1 now! Everyone on staff here loves it.

Over the next few months, you'll be able to pick up the first volumes of several Image series for just $9.99 each, including Manhattan Projects, Mind the Gap, and Saga (might be worth it so you don't have to touch your first printing).

I also have to suggest American Vampire by Scott Snyder. One of the most consistently excellent books on the stands.

It's a great time to be a comic reader!
Such an excellent book! When I heard Scott Snyder was doing Batman and Swamp Thing I was stoked. Also anyone who enjoys Snyder has to try Severed. He is by far one of the best horror writers I have ever seen. also glad to see you enjoyed Invincible Chunky :yess:

People seem to be raving about the Ultimate books by Marvel. But how is Spider-man, Spider-man without Peter Parker and Mary Jane!? Explain this to me and I might pick some up. How's this thing work? You can SPOILER a bit, up to you.

Off topic but every time I scroll down here I read this thread as "5 Great JEWISH Comics".

I thought I'd point that out.

People seem to be raving about the Ultimate books by Marvel. But how is Spider-man, Spider-man without Peter Parker and Mary Jane!? Explain this to me and I might pick some up. How's this thing work? You can SPOILER a bit, up to you.
It's probaly worth picking up the death of spiderman first theres an omnibus edition coming soon it's a good read links into ultimates vs ultimate avengers

I absolutely love Ultimate Spider-man! I'd start with Ultimate SM v.1 and burn through all of those first (they have peter parker/mj/gwen stacy). If you go through all 160 issues, then start with the new ultimate spider-man and spider-men miniseries, it'll feel like a completely new and awesome universe you'll hope will never end.

When it comes to reading Chew, I'd pick it up in trade instead of trying to find all the single issues. Issue 1 is great to own and 3rd and 4th printings are still mostly affordable (I've seen 4th prints go for as low as $14) but its just a pain to try and piece it all together even though there are only 27 issues out and 1 one-shot.

I also definitely agree with the American Vampire suggestion. Truly is an amazing series and the last issue that just came out was a serious gut punch (in a good way).

Back