Pre-ordering off of Ebay

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guy66657

Super Freak
Reaction score
What are you guys' views on pre-ordering Hot Toys figures from ebay? Do you trust them? The only thing i've ever pre ordered was the Mark II AU version and it came in perfect condition and on time.

Personally I would stay ways from pre-orders on ebay, I would rather use a known website for my pre-orders. To me it feels more secure.

Don't do it :lecture

These aren't collectibles anymore, they'll be available at release and you'll have the benefit of changing you're mind without losing money, knowledge of how the final product looks and if their is any QC to be concerned about

Bought all my figures off eBay and have never had any problems over the past 2, nearly 3 years of collecting. So much so I now pretty much deal with my guys exclusively off eBay and get a bit of a cheaper price.

I'd stay with a trusted retailer with their own website and/or brick and mortar store :wink1:

Totally non-biased :rotfl

Yeah don't pre-order off Ebay because, usually when they get their first stock, those go up for 'buy it now' auctions and everyone who has pre-ordered has to wait for those to end before they start shipping other orders

lol, skips over several posts saying not to do it to the one that says he has had no problem. :lol

Don't preorder of ebay. Only buy what is in hand.

were any of those pre-orders?

All of them have been apart from my Wolverine, Blade and Odin.

My pre-orders have consisted of -

New Goblin
Spider-Man
Captain America (The First Avenger)
Red Skull
Mech Test Tony
Black Widow
Iron Man Mark IV
War Machine
Thor
Ghost Rider
Abigail Whistler

I have Nick Fury, Captain America (Avengers), Hawkeye and Iron Man Mark I 2.0 all coming as well.

Just make sure you check the history of the seller before doing so. Paypal refunds only last so long and the seller can drain his PP funds to prevent that from happening. Be careful on Pre-Ordering items that aren't available for a long time yet.

What's the point? No point in putting yourself at that risk. The figure won't be sold out, there are other sellers who don't have that paypal 45 day limit, again, no point.

Yea we're in a different time with Hot Toys figures. No reason to PO. All that does is lock you in with a non refundable fee and a higher price. Just wait a month after it gets released and you get immediate shipping of an item you have seen in hand...at a lower price.

I've pre ordered most of my collection, War Machine, mark 2 AU, 4 and 6. Chris Reeve Superman was bought a month or so ago from the same guy and I've never had any problems. Postage was free, they were cheaper than UK suppliers and being pre order, I think they always ended up being from a second batch as explained previously. I could be wrong on that one though.

That being said, I don't think I'll pre order again even though I'll still use the same seller. The mark vi was on pre order for the best part of a year when the money could have earned a bit of interest before I bought it.

I preordered my first ht (the raimi Spidey) and while at first glance he seemed okay I later realized that he had a broken ankle and leg mold. I contacted the seller but he said that he couldn't do anything. So now I buy only from stores. I use eBay only to track down some older releases.

It's basically the same as P/o from a store. You check their past first and make sure their good before you put money down. I p/o'd Fury and Hawkeye through ebay and Fury came through fine and extremely well packed. Hawkeye should arrive the same.

We truly are in a different time concerning Hot Toys. Production is much higher than it was only a year ago. Take the Christopher Reeve Superman for example, BBTS still has him in stock below original retail!

Long gone are the days of having to jump on a figure, once they're in stock in HK, knowing that price will only skyrocket, by the time it hits the US shores (Wolverine anybody)!

I used to preorder all my Hot Toys from eBay member Red Dragon Statues. This seller NEVER failed me in terms of preorders. I would order HT nearly a year out, well outside of eBay/PayPals 45 day claim period. Also, once you deal with them initially, they offer you the option to deal with them directly through PayPal. They will accept a 25% deposit upon order, and will email a PayPal request for the balance once the item is in stock. It's a win-win situation really. You get the item at the original preorder amount, and if they want the repeat business, they have to pull through! Honestly, I feel bad not ordering from them anymore.

However, as stated earlier, we are in a different time. Now, with the exception of exclusives, these items will not immediately sell out at original retail. Therefore, I preorder all my HT from BBTS now. They double box all their collectibles (unlike Sideshow), and never disappoint!

As stated by a few other members, this also gives you the time to witness any changes and/or modifications to the figure without being locked into the sale. Take the ongoing modification requests regarding The Amazing Spider-Man. I would personally hate to be locked into a presell with this figure. If they don't improve the figure per fan requests, then I'm not interested!

Hope this helps!

Back