A little confused, please help a new Angel fan...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dayna

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I have recently afforded the Angel DVD BoxSet and have made it half way through season 1 so far (awesome viewing BTW!!!) but it's beginning to bother me as to why Angel doesn't always use his super vampire strengths.

One example is in the episode 'She'. Angel uses the grappel and hook things to scale the building in pursuit of her instead of simply leaping!! He managed to jump down, so why didn't he jump up? Have I missed something?
Is he lacking stamina because he no longer feeds on humans maybe :confused:
Any info would be most welcome.

Oh, how was the dancing in that episode :lol
Haven't seen anything so funny since Elaine!!

I think there was an effort early on to make Angel a sort of Batman/James Bond type character with the gadgets and him becoming a detective. As the series progresses from season 2 on, he moves away from that and it becomes far more "Buffy" like in story progression.

Phew! Thank goodness they drop that idea! If I wanted Bond I'd be watching Bond and I already own Batman.
Thanks, I'll try to ignore it until it goes away :rolleyes:

Dayna said:
Phew! Thank goodness they drop that idea! If I wanted Bond I'd be watching Bond and I already own Batman.
Thanks, I'll try to ignore it until it goes away :rolleyes:

Oh and its going to get MUCH MUCH better.:D

By the end of season 5, you'll be crying for more.

I think S.1 is the weakest - it only gets better. But in defense of the grappling hook - it's always easier to jump down than up!

th only thing I really dislike about season one is the episodic nature-- I enjoy the "novel for television" approach of later seasons. I wouldn't say season one is the weakest-- season four is easily the worst season of Angel, but that's just my opinion.

BDboystoys said:
Oh and its going to get MUCH MUCH better.:D

By the end of season 5, you'll be crying for more.

I couldn't agree more!!!

In fact, it's been several months since I saw the last episode and I STILL tear up watching that last episode!

:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

I'm so in the minority when it comes to my feelings on Angel: season 1= the best for me, the last seasons= the worst. I hated them.

Josette said:
I'm so in the minority when it comes to my feelings on Angel: season 1= the best for me, the last seasons= the worst. I hated them.
The thing I loved about season one was the fighting for the little guy attitude of Angel Investigations, unforunately that kinda got lost in the more epic season long spanning story lines. It became less about fighting for the people on the street and more about the Buffy style big bads.

Oh dear, I'm a little worried... sounds like it could go either way for me toward the end. I HOPE it doesn't go too much in the direction of Buffy because I could have lived without those 'potential slayer' episodes altogether!
I tried to care for them, I really did, alas it did not move me - just bored me to tears!

I miss Doyle :monkey2

When does Lorne make his appearance?

Lorne shows up in season 2.

Don't worry about it going downhill like the later seasons of Buffy. The series remains strong through all 5 seasons, it just starts to follow the "season spanning story arc with a big bad" style of the Buffy series after season 1.

I don't want to spoil too much for you, so I'll just say once you hit season 2 you're in for a wild ride.

Season 4 is may favorite as well, but that's because of the dramatic evolution of a certain character whom I will not name so as not to spoil it for Dayna.

Thanks for not spoiling it for me, I just watched 'Intimacy' (is that the right title?) anyway and Angelus made an appearance... terrible to say, maybe, but I LOVE Angelus. Always edge of the seat viewing for me :D

Can't wait for the wild ride!! Joss is the master :joy

Dayna said:
Thanks for not spoiling it for me, I just watched 'Intimacy' (is that the right title?) anyway and Angelus made an appearance... terrible to say, maybe, but I LOVE Angelus. Always edge of the seat viewing for me :D

Can't wait for the wild ride!! Joss is the master :joy

Oh its definately not a bad thing at all. David plays Angelus brilliantly. One of my favourite characters, and a fave villian in Buffy/Angel.
Wait till season 4, theres an awesome Angelus ep there.

That's the great thing about these shows... how they evolve over time. If you like Buffy as a defender of Sunndydale High School, you can re-watch seasons 1-3 of BTVS. If you like Buffy grappling with her place in the world after high school, you can re-watch season 4-7. If you like Angel as the lone protector of the innocent, you can re-watch the first two seasons of Angel. If you like the "big bad" story arcs, you can re-watch season 3-5 (the fifth being my personal favorite). In fact, one of my VERY favorite scenes of the whole Angel series happens in the beginning of the first episode (before the opening credits even) of the fifth season. It sort of sums up how far Angel has come (or fallen) from the first season. A very funny moment provided by Joss Whedon himself (he wrote and directed the episode). :lol :rotfl :lol

To me, t's ALL GOOD. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Now, if only the Angel seasons could be re-released in those slim cases and drop the price so I can actually BUY them... that would be great. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Protozaius said:
Now, if only the Angel seasons could be re-released in those slim cases and drop the price so I can actually BUY them... that would be great. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

I know!!!! Had the Buffy Series on lay-by for longer than I would have liked, finally got her home & began watching episodes at break-neck speed, became totally obsessed watching something like 2 to 3 a day, only to eventually be tortured with "and previously on Angel" teasers ARGHHH!!!

I am trying soooo hard to savour the experience of watching Angel, it's taking all of my will not to find the episode where Buffy visits him in 'AfterLife' the suspense is KILLING ME!!

Only two more episodes to go before season 2 :D
Can't wait to see what Lorne is all about.

Protozaius, is the beginning of the first episode of Angel in the fifth season as funny as Wesley and Angel disco dancing??!! That's gotta be a hard one to top :rotfl

BTW the episode I previously wrote about was supposed to read Eternity - not Intimacy, then I guess you guys already picked up that little error :eek:

I'm just now watching the few episodes I missed.
The series absolutely gets better and better all the way until the final ep. I got the feeling the story arcs didn't span just individual seasons but spanned multiple seasons.
I haven't watched the series on DVD, just reruns on TNT. So I'm not sure where the seasons end and begin although I have a good idea. I have to say I like season 5 the most. Mostly because of Illyria and what happens to Wolfram and Heart. But if there's one thing I dislike about the show, it has to be Conner. I just hated the character and what eventually happens between him and another character.
I hope I didn't ruin anything.

Doesn't sound like you ruined anything to me, I'm sure I already know Conner isn't a very popular character and I'd be very surprised if nothing ends up happening with W&H.
Conner's the whingey whiney one right? I recall reading about him in another thread.

Dayna said:
Protozaius, is the beginning of the first episode of Angel in the fifth season as funny as Wesley and Angel disco dancing??!! That's gotta be a hard one to top :rotfl

You just had to bring up that scene! Geez, I nearly soiled myself when I first saw that! I must have replayed that scene about four or five times that first time I saw it.

The scene I'm thinking of is not THAT outright funny... it's more humorous and poignant. Personally, I think it's just a great character moment for Angel. You may not agree, but you'll see. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Heck, it would be great to have Angel's goofy moves in a continuous loop for my banner!!! :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Last edited:
Back