Now I am afraid to even preorder Hot Toys 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monger

Super Freak
Reaction score
It seems like the logical approach to 1/4 figures would be to make them of characters that do not already have high end 1/6 figures, especially made by the same company. That is not the case though. Now I am starting to even wonder if I should get characters like Robocop or Catwoman or Jack Sparrow when for 30-40% more of the price I could get something twice as large and likely significantly better in quality.

Anyone else starting to have this dilemma? You never know with Hot Toys too. They have announced and had prototypes for stuff shown out of no where many times before. I feel like one day I am half way through the Flex Pay on a 1/6 figure and the next day a 1/4 equivalent is announced. The day after that they show the promotional shots and by the end of the week it is up for preorder. Ugh.

Ive thought about this with the QS001 Batman and the DX12, but in the end Im just getting the DX12 and moving along.

Now when it comes to Indiana Jones, Jack Sparrow, Joker (TDK), 1987 Predator and T2 T-800, Ill be all over the 1/4 versions if, and when they do them, but that doesnt make my 1/6 collection obsolete.

I think you guys either have to pick your poison and stick to a scale ahead of time, or decide which characters lend themselves better to bigger and smaller scales.

Example: I prefer human sculpts in 1/6, but I probably prefer masked and comic characters in 1/4.

1:4 scale is really just a bigger version of the same 1:6 without any real jump in quality, I mean what do 1:4 scale figures offer that one sixth don't, there really nothing special just big one sixth figures really. I could see if maybe they used real hair or fully inclosed articulation under a rubber like skin, but even then this has be done in 1:6 anyway. They to me are just more expensive space hogging versions of the same thing. There nice don't get me wrong but not really worth it to me.

I would think having a dilemma over toys is kinda sad.

Why would it be the "logical" choice to make in 1/4 scale what they don't in 1/6 scale? That makes no sense.

It's very simple, if you like 1/4 scale you can have both, just one or neither.

Dilemma over.

That's what I'm saying. Collect both scales, but if you only want one representation of each character, than set some ground rules about which scales lend themselves to which characters.

AH I got ya.

For me I would limit the 1/4 scale to only my TOP FIVE-TEN characters. Those being

-Indiana Jones
-Jack Sparrow
-Darth Vader
-Predator 1987
-The Joker (TDK)
-Gandalf the Grey
-T-800
-Luke Skywalker
-Maximus Gladiator
-Alien Big Chap

Why would it be the "logical" choice to make in 1/4 scale what they don't in 1/6 scale? That makes no sense.

Dilemma over.

Maybe if you're rich there's nothing to think about, but honestly I find your post completely nonsensical :dunno It's like your solution was to water it down so much as to not think at all. It is never so simple.

I have and always will be a 1/6 collector. Do I dabble in other scales and media? Sure. Perhaps it's because as a kid my action figures were dolls; from GI Joes to KISS to Steve Austin (no, not the wrestler) to Pulsar.
So, these 1/4 scale figures while they intrigue me don't hold the same draw as 1/6. I'll probably get one maybe two, but even that's a remote idea.

Maybe if you're rich there's nothing to think about, but honestly I find your post completely nonsensical :dunno It's like your solution was to water it down so much as to not think at all. It is never so simple.

Nonsensical because I know exactly what I want in life and refuse to stress the things of a minuscule nature?

I guess I must be lost. :(

Just buy what feels right. Something that catches your eye and you must have. Regardless of scale differences.

It seems like the logical approach to 1/4 figures would be to make them of characters that do not already have high end 1/6 figures, especially made by the same company. That is not the case though. Now I am starting to even wonder if I should get characters like Robocop or Catwoman or Jack Sparrow when for 30-40% more of the price I could get something twice as large and likely significantly better in quality.

Anyone else starting to have this dilemma? You never know with Hot Toys too. They have announced and had prototypes for stuff shown out of no where many times before. I feel like one day I am half way through the Flex Pay on a 1/6 figure and the next day a 1/4 equivalent is announced. The day after that they show the promotional shots and by the end of the week it is up for preorder. Ugh.

Yep. P.O'd the 1/6 Joker & Bats DX's and now regretting this as I just want the 1/4 versions...Going to have to take a hit with my non refundable deposit and cancel 'em both. Fuming but what can you do..

Dilemma over.

:goodpost:

But I can get crazy OCD about my displays.:gah:

I love the different scales and variety in my display but I think the issue is how much of te same thing do you need in your collection. Personally, I'm not obsessive enough to get every figure under the sun of the same character(s) I just want the definitive version.
Each to their own though and a major congrats to the poster saying the solution is just to buy both scales. I'm happy you have nothing better to spend your money on.

For me 1/6 scale is just easier to collect as it takes up far less space. I think i will grab the occasional 1/4 if it is a character i really love. Kinda make it a center piece to the collection or something like that. But we shall see. I am waiting for the 1/4 Predator stuff.

Pick your scale for each line. Do you want your Batman figures 1/4 or 1/6? Pick one and stay. Do you want your Pirates 1/6 or 1/4? Batman and the Pirates don't have to be the same, but all your Batman characters could be the same scale.

I'm sticking to 1/6 scale, it's good enough for me. Why start another scale?

Exactly. 1/6 is not exactly small! If I were to buy any 1/4, I think I would limit it to 2 related and very special characters (not sure who they are though. Maybe Vader and Obi-Wan?)

Yep. P.O'd the 1/6 Joker & Bats DX's and now regretting this as I just want the 1/4 versions...Going to have to take a hit with my non refundable deposit and cancel 'em both. Fuming but what can you do..

I'd call SS and ask if they'll let you switch your deposits to the 1/4 figures.

Hot Toys announced their 1/4 TDKR and Marvel stuff around the same time they announced thei 1/6 line of the same licenses. You had time to figure out which scale you wanted. They didn't just surprise you out of the blue with this.

Best thing is to just not pre-order at all.

Back