Sideshow's Pro 1.2 body?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCrawler

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I just got a few Modal Nodes figures, and they use the Prometheus 1.2 body (or whatever Sideshow calls it). Is this a new standard male body or is this old? I gotta say it's pretty _____ty. At least one of my figures has a knee joint that will not bend no matter what - it's fused together - and the general articulation seems kind of lame (as does the look of the body). And try to balance the things on their own feet! I have seen vintage GI Joe figures that balance perfectly because you can easily change the center of gravity, same with Hot Toys bodies, but not these Sideshow bodies. Also the hands just drop off, the head comes off too easily, sometimes just dropping off, and the feet tend to drop off too.

I'm wondering what is the reasoning behind this body, when it would seem that even newly produced cheapo bootleg Hot Toys-type bodies are in such high demand - AND functional? Is this just something left over from years past, or is Sideshow willfully ignoring the need for a decent body?

Sean

Last edited:
I made a Bith alien scumbag out of fig'rin dan's body and head, and i find the head is so heavy it actually makes him fall over in most normal poses :slap

Well, the fact is Sideshow didn't really design it, they just copied the Volks Neo Guy body. So, in their defense they didn't design a poor body, they just copied the design of a poor body. I don't know if that's better or worse.

I've got 10 Sideshow figures built on Pro bodies. Vader, the Emperor, the Harbinger and Belloq were all pretty good. However the others, Stormtrooper, Indiana Jones, Hobbits, Henry Jones, Sr, and Lando were all so problematic that at this point I've just stopped buying Sideshow's figures.

It's the inconsistency that keeps me away. I bought Belloq despite the terrible Indiana Jones body, and Belloq was pretty good. I bought the Stormtrooper and it was loose joints all over. Then, Vader was solid as a rock, but Lando had loose ankles. It's just impossible to tell if the figure is going to be able to stand on its own or not.

It just seems to me that Sideshow is sabotaging itself by producing such lousy bodies, when vastly superior bodies are obviously not impossible to design. That's why I was wondering if the Pro 1.2 was new. I thought they had mentioned, in the not too distant past, that they were releasing a new upgraded body and I wondered if this was it.

Seems to me that if they want to continue charging outrageous prices they really need to come up with a body on par with Hot Toys rather than Hasbro.

Sean

Well, the fact is Sideshow didn't really design it, they just copied the Volks Neo Guy body. So, in their defense they didn't design a poor body, they just copied the design of a poor body. I don't know if that's better or worse.

I've got 10 Sideshow figures built on Pro bodies. Vader, the Emperor, the Harbinger and Belloq were all pretty good. However the others, Stormtrooper, Indiana Jones, Hobbits, Henry Jones, Sr, and Lando were all so problematic that at this point I've just stopped buying Sideshow's figures.

It's the inconsistency that keeps me away. I bought Belloq despite the terrible Indiana Jones body, and Belloq was pretty good. I bought the Stormtrooper and it was loose joints all over. Then, Vader was solid as a rock, but Lando had loose ankles. It's just impossible to tell if the figure is going to be able to stand on its own or not.

:exactly: Mine are the same, its like flipping a coin.

I've been very happy with the pod bodies since they worked out the initial looseness issues. I don't have any of the Biths yet, but I know a few of the GI Joe figures used the 1.2 and I don't remember seeing many complaints.

I've actually used a few 1.1s for customs as they're a cheap alternative to TTs.

I only own around 35 sideshow and Hot Toys figures so I am no expert on 1/6 collecting. But out of all my figures I have only had two body issues.
The two figures are the clone wars Kenobi and my sith Anakin.

Kenobi is loose all over and is a mess no clue why all the others are fine and he is just made of jello. He is fine when on a stand and in a static pose after allot of messing around but once you move him off the stand he collapses. But Anakin on the other part has the opposite problem. He is super stiff and most of his joints wont let me bend them the way they are supposed to. Haven't attempted to fix either because I just don't care....the only reason they are there is to keep my 221st and 501st clones happy.

So some figures are loose some are tight some are bad its all a flip of the coin with sideshow. But over all I wouldn't change that for the world because in the end I am always happy with their figures I buy......except Kenobi he persists to disappoint every day I look at him.

Personally, I have had very little issue with any of the Pros. They were loose when they first came out. But I had no problem tightening them. As for balancing the figures, I have absolutely no problem shifting the legs, hips and torso to get the figure standing well. There is a lot of hate going on for the Pro. I am not on that wagon. I like the mannequin. It may not be the best mannequin on the market. But it is a very, very good one.

DSC02562a.jpg

DSC02546a.jpg

DSC02552a.jpg

A have no problem getting poses I want.

Last edited:
I haven't had a problem with the pros either. The only one that was really loose for me was the original Indy. As a matter of fact, I ended up changing that body for a Pro 1.2, which has the longer torso and broader shoulders, and ended up working great. It has much better proportions than the original Pro, it filled in Indy's clothing perfectly, and the joints were all nice and tight. I changed the KOTCS Indy to a Pro 1.2 as well--not because of any looseness, but I just think the proportions of the original pro were too stocky and squat. The 1.1 and 1.2 Pros fixed that with the longer torso.

I think the 1.1 and 1.2 Pros work very well and I feel I can get really good poses from them. I also haven't had any problems with bad pegs either. I'll concede that the True Types are still better, but for me it's so much easier to upgrade any original pros to the 1.2 because no modding is involved. All the pegs interchange very easily.

I also think the armor bodies are quite good as well. I haven't had any problems with them either. In fact, I may have to give the edge to the armor bodies when comparing it with the pros. I have half a mind to try and swap Boba's body to an armor body.

I've got a couple dozen SS SW figures and never had any problems with any of the bodies.

Well, to repost what I originally asked, is the Pro 1.2 a new body? Didn't Sideshow say they were re-doing their male bodies in the not so distant past? Is that new body the Pro 1.2? Or is this something left over from the recent past with the new body still to be delivered at some future date?

I know the Indiana Jones bodies were pretty much garbage and the Star Wars armor bodies had problems, but the Pro 1.2, to me, looks like a combination of a Triad body with a Hasbro super articulated body. Same semi-cheap feel, very ugly so you can't have the bodies show, same sort of wonky and imperfect articulation (either too stiff to where you can't balance them well, like my Bith guys, or too loose, or other issues like poorly fitting hand and feet pegs, etc). I just don't understand why Sideshow doesn't manufacture a decent Hot Toys-ish type body since that's the standard for a good body now, and even small companies are making them.

Sean

Well, to repost what I originally asked, is the Pro 1.2 a new body? Didn't Sideshow say they were re-doing their male bodies in the not so distant past? Is that new body the Pro 1.2? Or is this something left over from the recent past with the new body still to be delivered at some future date?

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?p=6838

The 1.1 and 1.2 revisions happened 3 years ago.

If anyone has the early pro or armored body figures I'd highly suggest buying a new loose one. I did it with the original Clone trooper and it made a world if difference. And they're pretty cheap at around $10.

Just make sure you get a body from a more recent figure.

One thing that kind of ruins the look of the Bith, IMO, are the super wide hips that make the pants jut out unnaturally. Can't disagree with SpaceCrawler. There's really no reason Sideshow's bodies can't be just as good as Hot Toys, considering the price. Certainly the pics of the switched out Boba from Pro 1.1 to TT Slim prove that the Pro simply doesn't pose as naturally.

Yeah, it seems in every thread there are sufficient numbers of people switching out the bodies to a Hot Toys body, enough to indicate some desire for a better basic body form Sideshow.

And thanks SwedishHeat for the answer about the body timeline. So this is the new "improved" Sideshow body. Pity.

Sean

Back