Sideshow Boba Fett review, final SDCC coverage

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It was a great Comic-Con once again this year, and at some point in the next week I'll write up my usual bests and worsts. Til then, check out the remainder of my coverage - I finished up DST, Moore, Triad, Yamato, Mindstyle, and a bunch of small companies in the Misc section as well:

https://www.mwctoys.com/sdcc2012/sdcc2012_main.htm

It's also time to get back to the reviewin', and I'm looking at the new Boba Fett from Sideshow. You can find the review at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

Wow, three starts for sculpting, outfit, articulation, and overall sections? Heads will roll........viva revolution!!!!!!

I respectfully agree to disagree....,man, rough review

Maybe I'm just being too hard...but I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed by it, considering the price. Like I said, it's not a terrible figure, but I had enough issues to hold him back from the top scores.

Maybe I'm just being too hard...but I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed by it, considering the price. Like I said, it's not a terrible figure, but I had enough issues to hold him back from the top scores.

Fair enough....the figure does require some basic modding for many here to be happy with it.....chest is an easy fix

Thanks for the review - always great to see your take on it

I will say this - at $175, I better not have to mod anything, even simple things. For me, that's not a fixer upper price.

I do agree that SSC 1/6 scale figures don't feel like they should ever cross that $150 barrier at the moment. Hot Toys quality they ain't. Even with a figure I love like Zartan, I realize that he is overpriced. And $200 for that forthcoming Snake Eyes? Give me a break.

I'd really like to own this guy, but at the end of the day, I think the points raised are valid. At $175, you shouldn't have to mod it to make it look right.

I hope the ROTJ version corrects these issues, as that's the one I really want.

I'd really like to own this guy, but at the end of the day, I think the points raised are valid. At $175, you shouldn't have to mod it to make it look right.

I hope the ROTJ version corrects these issues, as that's the one I really want.

:exactly:

A fair review Michael, except if your one of those in denial and believe making all the mods to make this figure look right is acceptable at this price point (89.99 OK...$175 NO!). If you don't hold SS to any standards you'll just get more $175+ fixer-upper figures which shouldn't be...period! I don't know why people don't understand this. :gah:

Depends what you think you can do, I spent an easy 20minutes making mine a hell of a lot better with a body swap and chest mods, he looks like a little person now instead of a toy. Helmet sculpt is a bit off, but in hand you don't notice it ('yeah, yeah' I hear you say, and i say that too at people who claim in hand things are better, but it really is this time), same with the shade of green. I do have in in a dark spot though.

I knew I'd have to do stuff before I got it, I even felt like repainting IG-88 for no reason whatsoever when I got him, it just isn't a chore for some people like it is for others.

Good review for those who just want to put him on a shelf right in factory condition though.

edit: and the reason I pay what I do for a quick fixer upper is because I dont want to miss out on the good, due to the easily fixable bad. If he had really sucked so bad I couldnt have changed it, I'd feel like you do

A fair review Michael, except if your one of those in denial and believe making all the mods to make this figure look right is acceptable at this price point (89.99 OK...$175 NO!). If you don't hold SS to any standards you'll just get more $175+ fixer-upper figures which shouldn't be...period! I don't know why people don't understand this. :gah:

Yeah it's pretty laughable that SS thinks they can charge anywhere near HT prices. Just like when Medicom is charging 300$ for a basic Han figure. It's the same kind of laughable, but there's some cheerleaders around here that will let you know otherwise.

AGREED!:clap

I'd agree it's a fair review... Boba is a complicated figure and I think a little more QC would have gone a long way to tightening up the end product.

One thing I personally would have liked to see was a splayed left hand. He's got a lot of cool righties, but the left hands are kind of boring.

Great review and awesome pics as always Michael.

It's a shame about that bent range finder on yours. I know you said you were against modding, but that really is a very simple fix. Simply dip it in some boiling water for a few seconds and it should straighten itself right out. I agree, trying to bend it by hand is not a good idea.

Also, the short neck is easy as well. The Stormtrooper has the saem issue. Simply pop the head off (it's quite easy) and when you put it back on, just don't push it all the way down on.

Back